American Blackout

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Teqnikal
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land, AAAAAAAH ZOMBIES!!!

Re: American Blackout

Post by Teqnikal » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:00 pm

I also would like to have seen more people in neigborhood coming together. That's the first thing I do during a power outage here. I go check on all my neigbors and make sure they have light. If the power was out for more than a few days I would set up a neigborhood watch. I would still need to report to work, probably 16 hour shifts. That's where having community helps, someone at home that I can trust to keep my wife and kids safe.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:26 pm

00dlez wrote:I won't defend the show itself, but I think it put more of a real/practical edge to the prepper mentality than do the Doomsday shows. I watched it with my girlfriend and, as cheesy as it was, she admitted to being a little nervous and began asking questions like "Could something like this actually happen?" "What would we do if..." and "Do we have X ITEM?"

She knows I have some gear/food/water stashed away, understands why I have it (even if she hasn't really bought in heself) but hasn't really been all that interested... now that she's seen this, it seems to have struck a cord - at least for now anyway.

So, at least from my prespective, it was great.
I think that is one good thing of shows like this.

It gets people who would not normally prep, thinking about the subject and considering what to do.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

dtwn92
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by dtwn92 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:46 am

ineffableone wrote:
00dlez wrote:I won't defend the show itself, but I think it put more of a real/practical edge to the prepper mentality than do the Doomsday shows. I watched it with my girlfriend and, as cheesy as it was, she admitted to being a little nervous and began asking questions like "Could something like this actually happen?" "What would we do if..." and "Do we have X ITEM?"

She knows I have some gear/food/water stashed away, understands why I have it (even if she hasn't really bought in heself) but hasn't really been all that interested... now that she's seen this, it seems to have struck a cord - at least for now anyway.

So, at least from my prespective, it was great.
I think that is one good thing of shows like this.

It gets people who would not normally prep, thinking about the subject and considering what to do.
Agreed with both of these quoted statements above. Sure the show might not win awards or sway people who post on 'net forums but it gets the non concerned people thinking. I'm for that...
View my FAK and My Tactical Facebook page.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
"Our problems are man-made therefore they may be solved by man and man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings."
John F. Kennedy

kickback

Post by kickback » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:34 pm

I can SUM it up.

Government = good

Individual = bad

they got their talking points from the office of the Pres(deleted for rules violation)

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by airballrad » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:18 am

kickback wrote:I can SUM it up.

Government = good

Individual = bad

they got their talking points from the office of the Pres(deleted for rules violation)
You appear to know the rules from your fake self-censorship. Knock it off.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:26 pm

I saw the show this week, Thursday I think, and while it was no After Armageddon, I liked it.

To some of the nitpickers, yes there is not single "grid" but it is a common enough term to use in this show. There wasn't a single attack that turned everything off. Perhaps you missed the first 10-15 minutes of the program but there was a very clear progression of East coast, Texas, West coast. Any determined foe, be they terrorist or hostile government, would make sure all the major regional grids go dark.

Regarding the elevator group, maybe I wasn't paying attention but I thought they said they didn't see any doors above or below them. Huh? What kind of University campus building has a 4-5 story elevator shaft with no stops on any floor.

Regarding Daddy prepper he was full of valuable lessons including that it's not stuff that makes you prepared. Someone already mention that here in the ZS forums we are always repeating that being a lone wolf is no way to survive. Why are we repeating it? Because they are still "preppers" who come to this forum and think that they can be the lone wolf, or worse "marauders". See Doomsday Preppers earlier this week.

Next, yes they took along dead weight boyfriend. His family was out of town and the kid clearly passed muster with Pops during the pre-blackout days.

Pappa Prepper gave Jason contradictory information. Doomsday daddy also didn't discuss any plans of procedures not just OpSec. He was showing Jason the extent of his preps and told him that the four months of food in the pantry was "decoy food" That was quoted by others on this forum, I didn't imagine it. That means the food was expendable for the safety of the family.

Jason had the right idea of sharing the expendable food with the neighbor,but executed it poorly. I'm sure he saw it as the decent thing to do, but is also would have bought some short term loyalty/alliance. Sort of like paying off tribes in Afghanistan.

However, Daddy prepper was busy beating his chest and trying to scare off the neighbor. Jason didn't have any way to signal the pater familias and suggest, "Hey let's give him a weeks worth of food and tell him it's half of what we have and all we can spare." That might have gotten a thank you from the unprepared shaggy neighbor (the shaggy old goat said he had kids, maybe he collects orphans or his full grown kids we part of the armed posse)

Instead, the neighbor received a clear signal that Daddy-o had something so important on that property that he was willing to draw over it. Jason confirmed it when he handed over some canned goods. Hmmmm had Jason encountered the neighbor again on the property later that day or during they night when they had already snuck on the compound to raid the house and he bargained them off by saying "let me give you some food so you'll be entitledists and not thieves."

Was Pops stupid to draw a weapon to leave the bunker? Yes. Having been burned/humiliated because he slept while his son was held captive during a home invasion, would his judgement be skewed and his rage might have gotten the better of him? That's certainly possible.

I agree with everyone that the sudden ring of the cell phone during the stand off was pure Deus Ex Machina, but did anyone notice bleeding heart Jason tell the head marauder that "you should have been more prepared"

A great companion program would be a one hour courtroom drama about the prosecution of that posse in Colorado that trespassed, took hostages, committed armed robbery just to name a few charges.

Yes this program had its flaws, but it certainly wasn't without merit.
Last edited by Evan the Diplomat on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

IronKnuckles

Post by IronKnuckles » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:27 am

I enjoyed it. However I didn't watch it to learn how NatGeo thought would be best for me to survive a disaster. I knew it wasn't going to be a show teaching much of anything. Sure enough I didn't learn anything I didn't already know from a more serious approach in studying up on survival. NatGeo will be a place for me to be entertained, not teach me how to save myself.
Maverick299 wrote:Where's the government bailout for Hostess? I would have survived just fine without Chevy or Chrysler, but life without strawberry fruit pies seems kinda pointless.
AK_Stick wrote:Pretty much always be a need for people who can kill people, or work on stuff.

colemoge
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days & Weeks Later

Post by colemoge » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:31 pm

not very good and not realistic imo
Those fighters with no losses on thier records are obviously fighting the wrong opponents.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”