The Stand (2020)

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

The Stand (2020)

Post by Stercutus » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:56 pm

In a timely and perhaps prescient move CBS all access is releasing an updated mini-series of the Stephen King classic The Stand this year.

Whoppi Goldberg will portray Mother Abigail and Alexander Skarsgård will portray Randall Flagg. I think these are solid casting choices. Even though the series revolves around the two, characters others of the cast should get much more screen time.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1831804/

James Marsden will portray Stu Redman and Benjamin Cavell will play Larry. Amber Heard will play Nadine Cross. Marsden won't even have to act, he can just be himself.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/jame ... 203523822/
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: The Stand (2020)

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:32 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:56 pm
In a timely and perhaps prescient move CBS all access is releasing an updated mini-series of the Stephen King classic The Stand this year.

Whoppi Goldberg will portray Mother Abigail and Alexander Skarsgård will portray Randall Flagg. I think these are solid casting choices. Even though the series revolves around the two, characters others of the cast should get much more screen time.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1831804/

James Marsden will portray Stu Redman and Benjamin Cavell will play Larry. Amber Heard will play Nadine Cross. Marsden won't even have to act, he can just be himself.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/jame ... 203523822/
Run time? I liked the book, the mini-series was good. So much got left out, though. :(

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:45 pm

Looks like ten one hour episodes for the initial offering.
You go over and under
I go through

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:40 pm

Stephen King tweeted this today, just after I was thinking about whether or not I wanted to re-read The Stand :?
No, coronavirus is NOT like THE STAND. It’s not anywhere near as serious. It’s eminently survivable. Keep calm and take all reasonable precautions.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:11 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:45 pm
I hope they stay true to the original book. The unabridged edition. That book rocked!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:43 am

wee drop o' bush wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:40 pm
Stephen King tweeted this today, just after I was thinking about whether or not I wanted to re-read The Stand :?
No, coronavirus is NOT like THE STAND. It’s not anywhere near as serious. It’s eminently survivable. Keep calm and take all reasonable precautions.
Yeah, Captain Tripps killed 99.9% of the population and once you got it you were dead. COVOID-19 is pretty weak, killing at absolute highest 6% of those known infected, and a real number likely closer to .5% of the total population.

But .5% is a lot of people.
You go over and under
I go through

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:49 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:11 pm
Stercutus wrote:
I hope they stay true to the original book. The unabridged edition. That book rocked!
Wasn't that like 800 pages?

S1:E1-24
S2:E1-24
S3:E1-24
S4:E1-24
S5:E1-24
S6:E1-24
S7:E1-24
S8:E1-24
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:08 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:49 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:11 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Wasn't that like 800 pages?
Yes, it was a tome.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:47 am

Absolute best book ever.
Probably read it 15 times

HBO definitely has the chops to do the adaptation justice..
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:00 am

I was such a nerd in high school that I actually cut class to sit in my car and read The Stand.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:24 pm

Ugh, this needs to be on HBO or Showtime to do it justice. It'll suck on CBS.
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:40 pm

Zombie309 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:24 pm
Ugh, this needs to be on HBO or Showtime to do it justice. It'll suck on CBS.
Agreed. Or AMC. Or Netflix. Or an Amazon original. I've outgrown network television.

Ironically, I'm rereading The Stand right now. I last read it as a 16 year old. I won't say exactly when that was, but suffice it to say the novel was probably still on the NY Times best seller list. I must say it's a completely different book to the middle aged me than it was to the teenage version.

King has just enough of the nitty gritty of post apocalyptic survival to appeal to the prepper side of me. The other 95% of the story is simply a ripping good yarn. Which probably explains why hardcore survivalist fiction, though no doubt appealing to the ZS crowd, will rarely if ever find a mainstream audience.

cbare
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days
shaun of the dead

Post by cbare » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:14 pm

The stand was the first novel I read as a kid. Have I reread it several times, I was disappointed with the The miniseries and have been waiting for it to be redone for years but now in 2020 with Covid I just don’t have the will to watch this anymore.
Demented and sad, but social...

Lambykins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Meat (Birthday party with zombies! Coolest birthday EVER!!!)
28 Days and 28 Weeks Later...nicely gory.
Shaun of the Dead
Anything with Keanu Reeves...oh...he's NOT a zombie? Wow. Coulda fooled me...

Post by Lambykins » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:58 pm

Has anyone seen the first couple of episodes?
I haven't, but I have read what the critics are saying (and most of them have seen the first SIX episodes).
Most of the critics are not impressed.
Every normal man must, at times, be tempted to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats -- HL Mencken

My zazzle: http://www.zazzle.com/fripperyfarm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; New line of Frippery Farm merchandise!
My blog: http://droptheshoe.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; My misadventures in farming and livestock raising!

Javelineer
BANNED

Post by Javelineer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:54 am

Yeah, this is probably gonna suck at least as hard as Under the Dome did. Not that I'm ever going to watch it, since I don't own and no longer have access to a television.

I don't know why any director who isn't Kubrick thinks he can do justice to a King novel. His novels, the half of them that I actually like at least, always strike me as largely unfilmable.
Technomancer of the Vernal Wood
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 3&t=125226

10,322/48,000 words
21.5% finished

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:26 pm

The part of the episode I watched was dismal.
Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abagail (i.e. the character blessed by God to lead the good group) is such a miscast role that it is pathetic.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

echo83

Post by echo83 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:29 am

At first, I was cautiously optimistic to hear this was being made. I think The Stand is King's best work, and I've read the full edition a few times.

I hate being that "the book is better than the movie," guy, but in this case, I mean, c'mon...how is any major network channel going to successfully adapt this? There's way too much ground to cover.

One of the viewership's biggest gripes is that the series starts in the middle of the book, and then works in the past and future. This ruins the narrative structure; infection, coverup, breakdown, more coverup, crisis, then the hero/villain journey.

It probably also ruins the most realistic aspect of the book; not everyone is a hero, or the best and brightest on their own...we're just trying to get where we're going, and hopefully find some like-minded folks along the way.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:16 pm

echo83 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:29 am
I hate being that "the book is better than the movie," guy, but in this case, I mean, c'mon...how is any major network channel going to successfully adapt this? There's way too much ground to cover.
That's what I said for years about Tolkien's work. Then Lord of the Rings came out. The Stand deserves the Peter Jackson treatment. And by that I mean LOTR Jackson. Not <*retch*> The Hobbit Jackson.

ETA: Agree with your point about any major network channel doing it justice.

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:46 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:26 pm
The part of the episode I watched was dismal.
Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abagail (i.e. the character blessed by God to lead the good group) is such a miscast role that it is pathetic.
My bestie and I are not digging it either. Other than adding cell phones and mentioning Instagram once, this series isn't updated. I mean Randall Flagg still head to toe in denim? It's not 1978. Lucifer the series has set the bar pretty freaking high for how Satan is supposed to dress.

The dialogue is crusty, that's not how people talk or relate to each other anymore.

And Whoopie Goldberg as Mother Abagail...man that one does NOT fit like, AT ALL.

I had high hopes because CBS also did Picard which, I'm not exaggerating, is probably the best single season of a television show I have ever watched. And Picard is an awesome contrast to The Stand on how to nostalgia bomb people and get absolutely everything pitch perfect.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Lambykins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Meat (Birthday party with zombies! Coolest birthday EVER!!!)
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Lambykins » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:08 pm

I watched the first episode as they had it up on youtube for free.
And........
No.
Just....No.
Disjointed. Confusing. Tepid (if that) acting.
The worst thing of all (as a SK fan)...it has no heart.
All his books have *heart* for lack of a better term.
This has no heart. All the heart/soul is gone.
When I read The Stand, I could not stop! I had to keep reading...Now what? Now what? Oh no!
I was enthralled.
The original mini-series was well done (even with the cheesy special effects of the time). You believed those characters (well, except maybe Molly Ringwald as Frannie). The original mini-series had some of the heart intact.
I watched the first episode and my reaction was "Meh :| "
Every normal man must, at times, be tempted to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats -- HL Mencken

My zazzle: http://www.zazzle.com/fripperyfarm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; New line of Frippery Farm merchandise!
My blog: http://droptheshoe.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; My misadventures in farming and livestock raising!

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:46 pm

Lambykins wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:08 pm
And........
No.
Just....No.
When I read The Stand, I could not stop! I had to keep reading...Now what? Now what? Oh no!
I was enthralled.
The original mini-series was well done (even with the cheesy special effects of the time). You believed those characters (well, except maybe Molly Ringwald as Frannie). The original mini-series had some of the heart intact.
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” ― Stephen King
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:03 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:46 pm
Lambykins wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:08 pm
And........
No.
Just....No.
I was enthralled.
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” ― Stephen King
You know, as weird as Steven King comes off in his mannerisms, I'm not entirely sure he's joking. Dude may very well actually have the heart of a small boy on his desk.

And that's probably not the weirdest thing in his office.

Lambykins
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Lambykins » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:52 pm

Well, apparently The Stand jumped the shark.
For those of you that have read the novel and/or watched the original mini-series...
Trashcan Man is now an autistic/mentally challenged young man in his early 20s (possibly late teens). According to most critics, the character is woefully OVER acted as having those disabilities and clumsily and enthusiastically masturbates every time he sets off a fire/explosion.
Several tv/film critics I follow on youtube have called the show "offensive" at this point and a few have completely bailed on watching it and posting videos about it.
The most positive review called it "a dumpster fire that needs to be put out".

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:55 am

Lambykins wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:52 pm
Well, apparently The Stand jumped the shark.
For those of you that have read the novel and/or watched the original mini-series...
Trashcan Man is now an autistic/mentally challenged young man in his early 20s (possibly late teens). According to most critics, the character is woefully OVER acted as having those disabilities and clumsily and enthusiastically masturbates every time he sets off a fire/explosion.
Several tv/film critics I follow on youtube have called the show "offensive" at this point and a few have completely bailed on watching it and posting videos about it.
The most positive review called it "a dumpster fire that needs to be put out".
The year is 2020. The virus has killed off over 99% of the population. Solar power just kinda doesn't exist though, neither do hybrid cars, electric cars, or portable battery banks. There are approximately SEVEN mag-fed semiautomatic rifles for every man, woman, and child left alive in the United States. Not to mention the massive proliferation of things like suppressors and night vision. So naturally they send one of their spies to New Vegas with nothing more than a revolver.

This new Trashcan Man has trouble putting on pants or navigating a doorway. Naturally he'll be the guy that can reverse engineer a nuclear warhead, bypass all the safeties, and successfully arm it.

I don't often use the phrase Star Wars Episode I-level bad, but this is just insulting. For anyone that likes or fondly remembers the stand, just don't watch this.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Return to “Zombie Training Films”