Black Summer and The Silence on Netfix

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days and weeks later, I am legend, the original dawn of the Dead...etc.

Black Summer and The Silence on Netfix

Post by Old_Man » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:26 am

Black Summer a zombpocalypse series coming out.
[YouTube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... QA1omPJN24[/YouTube]

The Silence (movie)..looks to be a semi prequil to A Quiet Place .
https://www.netflix.com/title/81021447

Both look decent.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: Black Summer and The Silence on Netfix

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:15 pm

Thanks for the heads-up!

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:48 am

Watched The Silence last night... pretty decent flick overall.

Lots of cliches, rehashed themes, and little originality (especially when compared to A Quiet Place)... but still very enjoyable overall.

Don't compare it to A Quiet Place though, as Quiet Place is much better... but it's hard not to do as they really are so similar in theme.

2 great scenes though: a quick wood chipper scene that made me Laugh Out Loud... and an ironic "happy ring tone" scene during a tense moment of the movie had me giggling due to the juxtaposition and Apple product placement.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

fatty21

Post by fatty21 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:20 am

Got through Black Summer yesterday. I'd put it a notch above Z Nation. Some of the parts were more realistic than usual i.e. not being able to get a head shot with firearms. But you still have the unlimited capacity mags in the ar's and smgs. Definitely want to follow the next season whenever that is.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:17 pm

Just finished the first episode of Black Summer... meh. Already as frustrated as I was with Walking Dead (never finished the second season). People this stupid don’t survive.

I know, I know... suspension of disbelief.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:29 am

Working on Black Summer. Overall a fan of the filming style. And compared the most modern shows, I had about half the "eye rolling" as normal so it's above average
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:07 am

Digging black summer. I really don’t know what everyone is botching about. Most of these people seem smart enough they aren’t running toward shit. In ep 5 right now, definitely liking it so far.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:11 am

I got bored with the Silence thing quickly. Once John Corbett died I was about done.

The Black Summer was ok. A lot of politics in there which were kind of obnoxious and tended to detract from the story a bit. Take the dumb politics out and it would have been much better. It made the whole show dumber.

I think the sequence at the Stadium was the best in the series. It was video gamerish with Saving Private Ryan on Normandy feel. What was interesting was that even though they had gone away from the tongue in cheek format of Z Nation many of the encounters were reminiscent of Z Nation with a horror twist instead of a comedic one.

A few things to note:
- Handing someone a gun does not turn them in to Jerry Miculek and give them instantaneous knowledge on how to operate and employ said gun. Nor does it give them unlimited ammo in the one magazine per gun they get.

- I was painfully suspending disbelief during the raid of the drug house. A pick up team of random, untrained people who dont really know each other or talk to each other construct a flawless plan to raid a facility they have never been to before, in a few minutes while walking down the road in the ZPAW using only hand and arm signals. If they are going to try to make the show serious instead of zomidy, they need to try harder.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:57 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:11 am
I got bored with the Silence thing quickly. Once John Corbett died I was about done.

The Black Summer was ok. A lot of politics in there which were kind of obnoxious and tended to detract from the story a bit. Take the dumb politics out and it would have been much better. It made the whole show dumber.

I think the sequence at the Stadium was the best in the series. It was video gamerish with Saving Private Ryan on Normandy feel. What was interesting was that even though they had gone away from the tongue in cheek format of Z Nation many of the encounters were reminiscent of Z Nation with a horror twist instead of a comedic one.

A few things to note:
- Handing someone a gun does not turn them in to Jerry Miculek and give them instantaneous knowledge on how to operate and employ said gun. Nor does it give them unlimited ammo in the one magazine per gun they get.

- I was painfully suspending disbelief during the raid of the drug house. A pick up team of random, untrained people who dont really know each other or talk to each other construct a flawless plan to raid a facility they have never been to before, in a few minutes while walking down the road in the ZPAW using only hand and arm signals. If they are going to try to make the show serious instead of zomidy, they need to try harder.
Probably less to do with serious/zomidy and more to do with writers with equal amounts of lack of gun knowledge and disdain/respect for firearms training/police/military tactics.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:28 pm

I binge watched Black Summer because I liked the filming style thing the threads together. That said the unlimited mag capacity and inability to aim was really distracting to me.

That said the characters and thier development was good enough for me to keep watching and fast forward through the stupid parts of it.

BTW I have met people like the protagonist in the diner. If you ever run into that type ...let's just say the characters took the correct action.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:22 am

Started watching Black Summer yesterday. So this is Karl Schaefer's (moar serious) prequal to Z Nation.....I didn't think he had it in him. :rofl:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun May 19, 2019 5:43 pm

I'm three episode in to Black Summer and I like the Richard Linklater "Slackers" style of short intersecting story lines.

Can't wait to see the rest.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Return to “Zombie Training Films”