Life after Death: A Story of Survival 12/20/2011 UPDATE

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Re: Life after Death

Post by phoenixmastm » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:36 am

Ok, it's been decided. I'm gonna write another section or two until we get to a point which me and Shoe discussed earlier. After that, it'll be back to the switch off for a couple stories, then back to me.

Shoe's still working on getting internet, but it's not easy for him. Bear with us folks, we haven't abandoned this by a long shot. :)
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

tenhigh

Post by tenhigh » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:23 pm

Awesome update. It's nice to read about that prick finally being gone.

I know you all are busy and all, but moar please? If I didn't ask at least once, you'd know someone else must have taken over my account. :lol: :oops:
BobtheBreaker wrote:Posting while retardedly drunk is what we at ZS call SPP, Standard Posting Procedure.
bonanacrom wrote:I was saving that technique for after I win the lottery and have purchased my yak. I will saddle him and ride him drunk all across the property with spear and shield terrorizing the local squirrels and running trespassers off the land !

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:30 pm

tenhigh wrote:Awesome update. It's nice to read about that prick finally being gone.

I know you all are busy and all, but moar please? If I didn't ask at least once, you'd know someone else must have taken over my account. :lol: :oops:
:lol: Good point. And MOAR. :mrgreen:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:03 pm

:cry:

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:19 am

evil monkey wrote::cry:
Calm down, I'm not done yet.

Semester is ending soon and I have a lot of work on my plate if I want to pass these classes with anything other than D's, so story may be delayed for up to a week or so.
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:01 pm

phoenixmastm wrote:
evil monkey wrote: :cry:

Semester is ending soon and I have a lot of work on my plate if I want to pass these classes with anything other than D's, so story may be delayed for up to a week or so.
Calming down now. :)

Good luck with your classwork. Hopefully getting some good final grades will get those creative juices flowing. :wink:

phoenixmastm

Post by phoenixmastm » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:46 pm

evil monkey wrote:
phoenixmastm wrote:

Good luck with your classwork. Hopefully getting some good final grades will get those creative juices flowing. :wink:
And hopefully some good final grades will get me a degree, a job, and finally a way out of this city/state!

Hang in there people, I've not abandoned you yet.
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:07 pm

phoenixmastm wrote:
evil monkey wrote:
phoenixmastm wrote:

And hopefully some good final grades will get me a degree, a job, and finally a way out of this city/state!

Hang in there people, I've not abandoned you yet.
Yeah, that too. :D

A job that pays well, and gives you plenty of time off to write MOAR! :mrgreen:

-Sonnenkinder
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Strippers.

Ahahaha....not really. That movie was utter shite.
Whenever you mix two things you're interested in, the result is utter bollocks.
Examples:
-Zombie Strippers
-Lesbian Vampire Killers
-Water Polo
-Vanilla Ice

Exceptions to this rule include, but are not limited to:
-Mutant Ninja Turtles
-Beef Jerky

Post by -Sonnenkinder » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:47 am

:Ahem:

......Please sir, can I have some MOAR!

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:50 pm

I'm keeping this one toward the top of the page. College is a priority, but this story's not getting away without a fight! :lol:

Wastelander

Post by Wastelander » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:21 pm

New reader here, and all caught up. I'd like to say that the story is well written and well paced. Also, did your idea for the Stalker/Leaper zombies come from the Hunters in Left 4 Dead? That is what I envision every time they have a scene in your story.

That said...

Moar?

phoenixmastm

Post by phoenixmastm » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Wastelander wrote:New reader here, and all caught up. I'd like to say that the story is well written and well paced. Also, did your idea for the Stalker/Leaper zombies come from the Hunters in Left 4 Dead? That is what I envision every time they have a scene in your story.

That said...

Moar?
They're a mix between the hunters from L4D and the zombies from 28 days later.

They're not dead, their just super-infected. They still have a heartbeat, and can be killed from normal center of mass shots.

There will be more "special" undead, more freaks brought about by varying conditions of the virus and the environment.

Those things are smarter than the hunters from L4D. They use actual tactics and later will set traps for the group, but they are just the most common super-infected. I'll be writing up a new one in the next session.
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

skarface
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by skarface » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:40 am

phoenixmastm wrote:There will be more "special" undead, more freaks brought about by varying conditions of the virus and the environment.
Awesome. Sign me up. I'm already signed up? Groovy.
TheLastRifleMan wrote:Thank you and thank you, blessed work van! Nothing but premium fuel for you, damn what the boss says! And a wash once a week!
Mysty wrote:I do pity sissy as she has been out there a long time with that gaping hole in her leg, but until 'chocolate' tastes good again, I think Sissy's gonna be waiting a bit lol.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:28 pm

phoenixmastm wrote:
Wastelander wrote:New reader here, and all caught up. I'd like to say that the story is well written and well paced. Also, did your idea for the Stalker/Leaper zombies come from the Hunters in Left 4 Dead? That is what I envision every time they have a scene in your story.

That said...

Moar?
They're a mix between the hunters from L4D and the zombies from 28 days later.

They're not dead, their just super-infected. They still have a heartbeat, and can be killed from normal center of mass shots.

There will be more "special" undead, more freaks brought about by varying conditions of the virus and the environment.

Those things are smarter than the hunters from L4D. They use actual tactics and later will set traps for the group, but they are just the most common super-infected. I'll be writing up a new one in the next session.
:shock:

walterde
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Black Hawk Down and Interstellar

Post by walterde » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:13 am

Shoe Daddy wrote:Going on a day trip with my class Thursday, 4 hours each way so I plan on typing most of the trip!

ha, I did that once for an geology class. Went to Oklahoma to look at pretty rocks and not so pretty rocks. The bus broke down so instead we spent the trip sitting in the parking lot of a factory that went out of business long before I was ever born. The nearest store was 5 miles down the road, and it was a Dairy Queen and not a store. Best day of class I ever had. O'yea, that also happened to be the day Chrysler financing called to say they where repoing my truck for non-payment. Told them good luck finding it, and after you do I'm gonna sue your pants off cause they cashed the checks I sent them. Well anyway, was funny at the time and they did not take my truck. They were applying my payments to the wrong account the whole time, the dealership screwed up not me. The story is great, I know i'm a year late but I haven't skipped to the end yet to see if its still going so keep it up to the end (so to speak).
I gotta go to class.

Shoe Daddy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Land of the Dead, 28 Days and 28 Weeks later, etc.

Post by Shoe Daddy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Short update on where I stand with internet: I contacted the local internet providers and one of them is actually thinking about running the lines to the rest of our area, so hopefully soon. Or I might just say hell with it and get a wireless connect card. Either way I have been working on story and will hopefully get some posted the next time I'm off. Just waiting on Phoenix to post.
I am 1911, Cake, Mosin-Nagant, AK/AR neutral

Read my ZPAW story, Life after Death here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 28&t=38181

Pearl

Post by Pearl » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:24 am

Just got started and I'm up to page 15 ----Thanks for the time you've put into this -------------- Now back to the story.

phoenixmastm

Post by phoenixmastm » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:51 pm

Shoe Daddy wrote:Short update on where I stand with internet: I contacted the local internet providers and one of them is actually thinking about running the lines to the rest of our area, so hopefully soon. Or I might just say hell with it and get a wireless connect card. Either way I have been working on story and will hopefully get some posted the next time I'm off. Just waiting on Phoenix to post.
I keep tellin ya to get a Verizon card but you don't wanna listen. :P

Update by Tuesday night folks, had a rough week with work and finals. New semester starts Monday and I'm more than likely gonna have to retake my networking/routers course over again. Damn work schedule screwed me over.
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

phoenixmastm

Post by phoenixmastm » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Ta da! I can hold to my promises after all! More soon, possibly Friday.

The ride back was quiet, and peaceful for a change. I don’t think anyone missed Zach all too much, least of all me and Austin. Before long we saw the house and fields and pulled in for the night. Dinner was Spam, fried with a bit of canned corn we found in the bottom of one of the stashes of food setup in the living room. After dinner we held a meeting to assess our situation and what we could do to remedy it.

“In short folks, we are screwed if we think we can make it through winter with what’s lying around.” I was not joking either.

“Agreed, we only have about two weeks worth of food, and that’s if we start stretching it now. Not to mention that most of us don’t have winter gear. On top of that, we don’t have any fuel for the fireplaces, or not that much.”

Art leaned forward and put his hands on together on the dining table. “There’s no use arguin’ what’s left or how bad it is. What’re we gonna do about it?”

“There’s still a bunch of stuff left in Sparta, namely the Walmart and Buchheit’s. Both of those places have plenty of food, plus the Walmart has warm clothing and ammunition, while Buchheit’s has plenty of ammunition and tools we may need, as well as possibly seed and other such for maintaining the farm. My thought is this, we all head over to the Walmart and scavenge the place dry of everything we may need and then head over to Buchheit’s provided we have the time or space. If not, we can hit that up tomorrow. Sound like a plan?” With a unanimous nodding of heads, the plan was set in motion. We all retired to our separate sleeping areas and awaited tomorrow and the excitement of a scavenging run.

Come the dawn the house was a hive of excitement, everyone was scurrying around gathering ammunition, weapons, filling up the trucks and HMMV with fuel, and making sure everyone knew the layout and what we were looking for. Our objective for Walmart was to get in, grab as much non-perishable food as we could find, and get as much clothing and winter gear as possible. Ammunition was if we saw it, grab it, otherwise we’ll consider it lost. The Buchheit’s run would be for food, ammunition, and possibly farm equipment, but focus was mostly on food and ammunition.

We set out at roughly eight am, I say roughly because the last of our watches and clocks stopped working days ago, and we’ve been without an accurate timepiece since then. The way down to Sparta was eerily quiet, no straggler zeds or farmhouses with inhabitants taking potshots at the trucks. We arrived at the Sparta Walmart within about thirty minutes of driving time, and found it to be surprisingly clean of zombies. I didn’t know if that was a good thing or bad, but I made note of it, and made sure everyone was on their toes; didn’t take much, as Art, Ed, and Chris had noticed the same thing, Austin following after a good look around the parking lot.

After getting all the trucks parked right by the entrance, we each split up into our groups. Me, Chris, Austin, Art, and Ed would hit up the food section and look for anything not expired and with an expiration date of longer than six months. The girls, Sam, and Alex would go through the clothing department and grab anything winter-worthy that fit the long range of sizes we had.

About half-way through the food section, I rounded a corner into the empty soda isle and some sixth sense told me to duck. Lucky for me that I did duck right then, or a load of buckshot would have torn my face apart. Instead it blasted a case of water directly behind me and soaked the back of my head, neck, and shirt. I quickly backed out of there, and grabbed my rifle cursing myself as an idiot for not packing something suited more for close range.

“Who the hell is shooting at me? Huh? Can’t you fuckin see that I’m not a goddamn zombie?!”

“Zombie, no, militia, maybe. Drop your weapon and walk into the aisle with your hands in the air!”

“So you can get a decent shot? Fuck that, howabout you drop your gun first, I’ll drop mine as well, and we meet in the center and re-think this?”

“Fuck you, I said drop your gun or I’m gonna put a shell down your throat, and hit this time!”

At that moment, I was grateful for having friends, cause I heard the distinctive sound of a solid, heavy stock of someone’s Remington 870 whacking the back of someone else’s head.

“Fucking BASTARD! You OK Bryan?”
“Fuckin A for your timing Austin, I really don’t want to get in a gunfight again. That shit sucks.”

I moved quickly through the aisle and towards where Austin had the shooter laid out flat. He was just beginning to come around again when I arrived, and the rest of the crews gathered around just before he managed to sit up.

Upon noticing the massive amount of firepower aimed at his head and chest, he raised his hands and merely said “Shit, I surrender.” After unloading his weapon, I walked him and Austin over about two aisles and tried getting some answers out of him.

“Who the hell are you and what the hell are you doing here shooting at us?”

“I’m Chris, and before you ask, I was trying to keep an eye out for the rest of my group. They’re probably barricading the stockroom now after hearing the gunshot.”

“How many are you?”

“Ten, and that’s including the two kids we have with us.”

“Where are you from?”

“I’m from St. Louis, but we’ve got people from all over. Even some guy from overseas, Germany I think.”

From there, we relaxed. And explained what the hell we were doing here and what we were looking for.

“Shit, I thought you guys were militia, that douchebag Williams has been harassing anyone on this side of the Mississippi.”

“Yeah, we had a run in with him and sent his boys packing. Truth be told though, we lost half our supplies to those bastards. Which is why we’re here, we’re looking for food and clothing to last us the winter.”

“Help yourself man, we’re just taking what we can back to our place and calling it a day. This place has pretty much been picked clean, we’re just the straggling end of the looters.”

I had an idea, “Hey, howabout we help each other? Aside from trying to re-decorate my face and giving me some extra nostrils, we’re pretty much on the same side here. We both hate the militia, and you’ll eventually hate these dickheads from Marion area when they finally head this way, so why not help each other out? That way they’ll have a harder time with more of us working together.”

“Sure, lemme just get the folks out of the back rooms and we’ll see about dividing and conquering this little store.”
He walked towards the back room, while me and Austin explained what was going on to the group. Everyone was OK with the idea, and before long Chris was back leading the party including two very sick looking kids.

“Everyone, this is the group. Taylor and Katie over there are keeping an eyeball on the kids. They haven’t spoken at all since we found them in here. Then there’s Mike and Tom, local boys, as well as Kent and Tracy who’s place we’re staying at. And last but not least there’s my girlfriend Mary.”

After our round of introductions we split back up into work teams. Each of us partnered up with someone from the other group and for everything we took, they got half of it. Things went along smoothly until one of the kids had a major coughing fit. Sam had to run over and take a look, and then all hell broke loose.

Next thing I hear is a loud scream, followed by gun blasts and, I swear to high heaven I’m not kidding, laughter. Children’s laughter. I was busy with Chris checking out the canned soups arguing what brand and style tastes better when we heard the commotion, dropping everything we had and sprinted over to where Sam was kneeling next to Katie who had a rather nasty gash on her arm.

“One of those kids just started coughing, and while we were busy trying to figure out what’s wrong the other one snuck up and took a chunk out of Katie’s arm. Something’s seriously screwed up here, those kids aren’t normal. I smacked the one biting Katie and it just started laughing, they have freaking shark teeth! Little razor sharp pointed bastards, and their eyes are jet black now, the entire eyeball is black!”

I sent word along for everyone to regroup and stay together, that something big was going down. It took a few minutes for everyone to gather up, at which point Mike was killed by one of the kids. He was over at the other end of the store! I figured we were dealing with some new infected type and worked out a plan with the group. Shot gunners would stand on the outside of the circle, with rifle and pistol men/women on the inside. Those without weapons or only hand-to-hand weapons would stay in the center and only fight if one of us went down.

We moved quickly, dragging what we could towards the door, when we heard this idiotic giggling coming from the entryway. I turned swiftly in time to watch Austin’s Remington blast apart the head of one of the twenty kids standing in the entryway barring our exit. I hoped I was seeing double, cause there were a lot of those little bastards just standing there grinning, even though one of their own was now missing something vital from the neck up. Chris gave the order to open fire, then they scattered. Half of the group circled around to our left, right into the clothing section where it would be impossible to see them with their height. They could hide in the clothing racks and we’d never know, and to find out we’d have to get REALLY close, close enough for them to take us out one at a time.

The other half tried legging it through the aisles, but were no match for our rifles and semi-well trained hands. I was tempted to have us fan out and hose down the clothing section when the giggling start up again from behind us. The little bastards had caught on to the fact that we weren’t gonna chase them through the clothes racks so they snuck around the edge of the clothing section and came at us from behind! We turned just in time to finish off the last of the group, but not before one of them forced his little head between us and finished off Katie with a bite to the neck.

After the dust settled we helped Chris’s group move the bodies outside, and continued to scavenge what we could VERY quickly. It wasn’t until we were ready to leave that we confirmed that the kids were a new form of infected. Katie was up and wandering about, with a decidedly nasty look to her. I took her out with a well-aimed .45 slug to the brain, and then dealt with Mike’s reanimating corpse.

We said our farewells and head on our way back home, hauling the first of the two stores worth of loot back to the “secret hideout.” As I drove, Austin and Art discussed what the hell those things were, with me commenting at odd moments.

“I’m tellin ya, that damn bug is mutatin on us! No way those kids were all there originally! They must’ve sought each other out.”

“Yeah, you saw how they worked, almost like a pack of wolves or school of fish, and damn they were smart. They figured out we weren’t gonna go through the racks to get them so they ran around behind us and attacked!”

After turning back onto the main road to Austins, I remembered something. “Hey Austin, did you see the one I popped off in the aisle next to the door? I shot it through the heart, and it stopped.”

“Yeah, I saw, I think Chris also got one, but it ran for a bit before dropping.”

“I think they’re a bit less infected than the friggin Stalkers, it took a good two hours for Katie to turn, and she was bitten close to the brain. My guess is that they never really got enough of the virus to kill them, but they still turned into something.”

“Yeah, but we’ve seen child zombies before, and they didn’t act anywhere near like these guys did. I think Art’s right, the virus is mutating into something else. Or at least creating new strains and evolving new symptoms and abilities.”

We relayed our findings with the other two trucks and they came back agreeing along the same lines. It seems everyone had an idea about what those things were and what they can do. Before long we saw the telltale fields and woodlots that marked Austin’s farm. After unloading we got ready for the next run, but first took a moment to get on the HAM and get a hold of Chris’s group, who told us their frequency so we could chat with them whenever we wanted.
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger

Post by Tperkins » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:05 pm

Interesting update, but great nonetheless!

I've been so busy I had forgotten about MOAR :shock:
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:05 pm

It's good to see a good update! Hunter zombie children. :shock: :shock: :shock:

skarface
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by skarface » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:56 am

Thanks!

Spooky update. Brrr...
TheLastRifleMan wrote:Thank you and thank you, blessed work van! Nothing but premium fuel for you, damn what the boss says! And a wash once a week!
Mysty wrote:I do pity sissy as she has been out there a long time with that gaping hole in her leg, but until 'chocolate' tastes good again, I think Sissy's gonna be waiting a bit lol.

Wastelander

Post by Wastelander » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:31 pm

I hate to be a bother, but...moar? You DID say "more soon, possibly Friday" and it is now Tuesday...

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Wastelander wrote:I hate to be a bother, but...moar? You DID say "more soon, possibly Friday" and it is now Tuesday...
I don't. :twisted:

Moar.
Moar!
Moar!!
Moar!!!

Return to “Fiction”