Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Re: Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years

Post by DAVE KI » Fri May 08, 2015 1:19 am

duodecima wrote:
DAVE KI wrote:
Spazzy wrote:At this point the only reason I check it is to clear the "unread" notification.
What? you special,why don't I get notifications? All I ever get is SPAM.
Hit "subscribe to topic" in the upper left corner of the posts on the page. You get an email every time somebody posts. I get a lot of email from this thread but I have learned the hard way not to get my hopes up!
I always check the fiction and see if it's moved.I hate getting my hopes ups. Thanks. Like I just did to someone.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

Spazzy

Post by Spazzy » Fri May 08, 2015 11:08 am

Imagine how the rest of us feel thinking after several years there might be more only to see pictures of friggin cookies...
Overheard at my USN retirement ceremony....
"So he's not a team player then?"
"You mean Spazz...? Hes not even a fan of the team."

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri May 08, 2015 11:13 am

Gee, so damn sorry to offend.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Spazzy

Post by Spazzy » Fri May 08, 2015 11:40 am

Cookies do not feed the moar monsters.... unless you share.
But there better be a lot.
Overheard at my USN retirement ceremony....
"So he's not a team player then?"
"You mean Spazz...? Hes not even a fan of the team."

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Fri May 08, 2015 5:31 pm

ZG,even if I don't have them in my grubby hands and crumbs all over my face... The drool factor is worth it. :D
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu May 14, 2015 11:15 am

Does anyone know of any spin offs have been done in the MJOTZY universe?

I've got a couple of ideas I've been thinking on.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Thu May 14, 2015 3:29 pm

Langenator wrote:Does anyone know of any spin offs have been done in the MJOTZY universe?

I've got a couple of ideas I've been thinking on.
Thinking Fan fiction?
She's done a few other zombie & post/during apocalyptic stories, but I dont think it's the same 'verse. neighbors maybe, but different address...
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu May 14, 2015 5:03 pm

One would be the view of the whole picture from the PoV of a military officer at NORTHCOM.

The second would be along the lines of The Odyssey - they same officer (who was trapped in Colorado Springs while TDY by the outbreak) making his way home.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

emilysometimes

Post by emilysometimes » Thu May 28, 2015 2:53 pm

Some days I just want to jump into this story and hand Sissy an ice cold coke.
"We don't even know how strong we are until we are forced to bring that hidden strength forward. In times of tragedy, of war, of necessity, people do amazing things. The human capacity for survival and renewal is awesome."
Isabel Allende

"Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness."
-James Thurber

jmstevens2

Post by jmstevens2 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:33 am

I haven't looked in for quite a while. Did she ever finish it?

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri May 29, 2015 10:37 am

No.
If anyone is interested in 'why not', here's the link to her real life blog - http://motherhensstorytime.blogspot.com/
What the heck - HAVE MORE COOKIES!
Cheesecake bars, Brownie bites & Cowboy cookies.

We make many dozens of them, Spazzy. They are for an entire apartment house.
and our neighbors.
and the family get to eat the not-so-nice-looking ones.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Odd Man Out

Post by Odd Man Out » Fri May 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Every time you do that ZG I ask my wife to bake cookies and I end up helping. Only problem is I then end up eating them all. Nice diet but really hard to lose any weight. :oops:
no more Mr. Nice guy....

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Fri May 29, 2015 4:12 pm

Massive confusion :? . Which ones are the not so nice looking ones ZG? :wink:

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sat May 30, 2015 9:24 am

I knew Kathy has written a few stories but she has over 30! I know she always said that all of her writings would be free, but damn, someone needs to make her go see a publisher!
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

ForeverMan53

Post by ForeverMan53 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:18 am

WoW I found MJotZY two weeks ago and registered just to read. I read it everyday. Today I come to the last page and find no ending. I will be checking back for an ending. This is by far the best ZPAW story I have ever in my 61 yrs ever read or seen.I hope I can now be counted as one of the MOAR Zombies. Kathy is one of the best authors I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

I apologize to anyone who checked here hoping to find an update because of my post. I just had to include my $.02 and ask for

MMMMMMOOOOOAAAARRRR

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:27 am

ForeverMan53 wrote:WoW I found MJotZY two weeks ago and registered just to read. I read it everyday. Today I come to the last page and find no ending. I will be checking back for an ending. This is by far the best ZPAW story I have ever in my 61 yrs ever read or seen.I hope I can now be counted as one of the MOAR Zombies. Kathy is one of the best authors I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

I apologize to anyone who checked here hoping to find an update because of my post. I just had to include my $.02 and ask for

MMMMMMOOOOOAAAARRRR
Welcome to the horde! :lol:
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:14 pm

ForeverMan53 wrote:WoW I found MJotZY two weeks ago and registered just to read. I read it everyday. Today I come to the last page and find no ending. I will be checking back for an ending. This is by far the best ZPAW story I have ever in my 61 yrs ever read or seen.I hope I can now be counted as one of the MOAR Zombies. Kathy is one of the best authors I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

MMMMMMOOOOOAAAARRRR
It's all good. Besides we are all either new readers like you or the others of us who have this thread ever in our sites for her return to the story and check in with each new post.

--SPOILER ALERT--
Now then, here is how *I* have resolved my own choice to want more but live in contentment with the story as is; I look at her entry Interlude From The Future on page 339 of this thread as 'an' ending. Whether intentional or inadvertent by Kathy in FL I can now be content that that post is 'my' ending to Sissy's story even if it isn't natural movement of Sissy's story to that actual ending and tie-up of how we got from her last post's actions 'TO' that future.

For what it's worth this works for me because she gave me the ending in that post, even if the chapters getting to that end haven't been posted. At least yet.

ForeverMan53

Post by ForeverMan53 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:01 pm

zombiepreparation wrote:

MMMMMMOOOOOAAAARRRR
It's all good. Besides we are all either new readers like you or the others of us who have this thread ever in our sites for her return to the story and check in with each new post.

--SPOILER ALERT--
Now then, here is how *I* have resolved my own choice to want more but live in contentment with the story as is; I look at her entry Interlude From The Future on page 339 of this thread as 'an' ending. Whether intentional or inadvertent by Kathy in FL I can now be content that that post is 'my' ending to Sissy's story even if it isn't natural movement of Sissy's story to that actual ending and tie-up of how we got from her last post's actions 'TO' that future.

For what it's worth this works for me because she gave me the ending in that post, even if the chapters getting to that end haven't been posted. At least yet.
In a way I agree. We know Sissy lives. We know Sanctuary continues and prospers. We know James lives and marries Charlene and has kids. We know Scott lives. We know Angus lives and moves on to another location. But even knowing that there are questions left unanswered and situations left unresolved. So now I like all the rest will spend my days happily shuffling and moaning with the rest of the MOAR Hoard until those question are answered and situations resolved. Partaken occasionally from the platters of cookies that ZG so graciously provides for us.

MMMMMMOOOOAAAARRRR

TheWarriorMax
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheWarriorMax » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi everyone, I also just finished this marathon of awesomeness and joined the MoarHorde.

My observation comes not from the story, but the various zombies that have literally caused the delays in Kathy posting story updates:

Natural disasters
Work problems
Family events/scheduling
Sickness and caring for others

These are the zombies any of us can face any day - one phone call can upend your life just as effectively as a flanking assault by the NRSC.

Sure, my BOB can keep me alive and okay for 72 hours in an alien invasion or global pandemic, but there's a statistical inversion at play: the more people are affected by something, the less likely that particular something is to happen. Will there be a meteor impact? Maybe. Or will I get a flat tyre or break down on the way home from work? Much more likely.

Will I be attacked by a gang and have to shoot my way out? Possibly. Or will I lose my job at some time in my life? Much more likely. My prepped supplies mean we can survive a few weeks without income and my BOB is there in case we get a phone call summoning me to the hospital because a family member is there and I may need to stay with them a few days.

While we good-naturedly moan for moar, we also need to heed Karhy's modelling of emergency management and be ready to help extended family in times of storm or sickness, not just buying tonnes of ammo and MREs.

I do hope there's moar, but the main lesson is there for us all to learn.

Thanks very much.
"And how can a man die better,
than facing fearful odds,
for the ashes of his fathers,
and the temples of his gods".

Buy "The Kingdom of Saudi Australia" on kindle:

https://tinyurl.com/y9jhv6y4

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:07 am

It is like that for me too. The others I'm sure remember me saying how Sissy's story is like an educational manual for me, a model for me to look at, the pits and the falls, where to look, modeling how, when, why, where. And the learning within it has impacted me so much more because the writing, Kathy's style of writing for Sissy's story, is inexplicable to me in that it was so engrossing that I 'literally' missed days and sleep because I couldn't put it down until I came to the last post. I completely committed. Well, I had little choice because the narrative was just that strong. So it was an amazing adventure that taught me more that has actually stuck because of this first person narrative that engulfed and pulled me into total immersion of an Event that I immediately saw could be translated into most Events I will likely ever encounter; loss of income, loved one, home, friend, foe, Dental Monster bills, weather &/or illness from just myself to as big as my world.

I seriously cannot even reasonably convey the level of impact MJotZY had and remains to have on me for its Real Time applications and lessons.

Shoot, now I'm so excited just talking about it I have to go read it again.

:lol: :clap:

emilysometimes

Post by emilysometimes » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:30 am

That was a very thoughtful post, Warrior Max, and right on target.

MJOTZY is an educational manual for me, too, and I return to it often for inspiration and for the story.

I know this has been posted elsewhere in this looong thread, but Mother Hen is still writing. The blogspot address for this story is http://mjoyzy.blogspot.com/ .
"We don't even know how strong we are until we are forced to bring that hidden strength forward. In times of tragedy, of war, of necessity, people do amazing things. The human capacity for survival and renewal is awesome."
Isabel Allende

-James Thurber

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:27 pm

Denton County, TX?

They have internet access on submarines now? :rofl:
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

emilysometimes

Post by emilysometimes » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:26 am

Langenator wrote:Denton County, TX?

They have internet access on submarines now? :rofl:
Yeah, but service is choppy. :-)

If we lived two streets over, the Lake Lewisville would be in our yard.
Isabel Allende

-James Thurber

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:16 pm

Easy access for fishing?

Return to “Fiction”