It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 363  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:38 pm 

This is a wonderful story.

In a perfect world, all that would happen is that you would write stories, and I would read them.

Well, maybe not a 'perfect world', but a world that would satisfy my 'story jones'.

Keep up the great work!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:32 pm 

MOAR

Read my ZPAW story, Life after Death here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38181

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:27 pm 

Shoe Daddy wrote:
MOAR

Out of town working on "bug out/retirement home"; intermittent connection for some reason. Just about finished the next installment. Will try and load it tomorrow.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:33 pm 

I guess we'll forgive you just this once.
But don't let it happen again.

aka the Tactical Redneck

Team Ramrod FTW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:10 pm 

What Simon Said

Read my ZPAW story, Life after Death here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38181

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:55 am 

page 4, time for moar :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:39 pm 

This story ROCKS. It is different from your average big gun/lots of luck zombie story.(Not that I don't like them as well) The only real problem is, now that I have caught up, I actually have to do some work.

Keep 'em comin'.

Z dude wrote:
nunchuku (Yes I know how to use 'em) 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:39 pm 

MOAR!!!!!!! Please :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:19 pm 

Kathy, i'll keep doing this until you post...

MOAR MOAR MOAR MOAR MOAR MOAR MOAR...................MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!

*This also goes for Doc66 and Gatorfarmer, I'm just too lazy to actually do it.*

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:15 pm 

OK ... so I'm a little slow on this lap top. If you see any big grammatical boo boos I'll fix them once I get back to my regular computer at home. LOL!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:39 pm 

Day Eighteen

While I’ve been tense all day there was no retribution for yesterday. You wouldn’t think I would have had time to really worry as much as I’ve done today, but its always at the back of my mind, even now that we have everything locked up safe and sound for the night.

Scott was up earlier than usual. We needed to get the van unloaded so he could get going. I got the kids up and they started to help unload while I started breakfast.

Breakfast: Today’s theme was Italian. OK, so I picked one that was going to be easy on me. I needed “easy” and tomorrow’s theme promised to be more challenging anyway. The most traditional breakfast in Italy is apparently a cup of coffee and a pastry. Yesterday proved that just wouldn’t fill our family up and hold them until lunch. Especially if we were going to be doing a lot of manual labor. I opted to make what my Aunt Nina always called an Italian Breakfast Casserole. I’m not sure how authentic the recipe should be considered, but it worked for us. While everyone ate breakfast I squished the bread starter (Day 4) and went outside to water my garden.

Scott headed out right after breakfast leaving me to eat my own breakfast and to get started on the list I had started yesterday. Today would mostly be an indoor day which didn't hurt my feelings any at all. I didn't want to have to worry about being watched on top of everything else. First I had to deal with all of the stuff Scott had brought home last night. He brought me cases of the cleaning supplies I had asked for, taking the last two cases of bleach off of the shelves at SAMs. He also picked up a bunch of batteries – regular and rechargeable, as well as three marine batteries that we could use to hook up to our solar panels. I got a case of light bulbs instead of the package that I asked for which I thought much have been Scott in a hurry and not thinking. But what the heck, we’ll eventually use them and better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. There were a bunch of other odds and ends as well. He even remembered to pick up some socks and underwear for Johnnie and James which were badly needed.

When I asked Scott why hadn’t he gotten the more important lumber for the false wall in the pantry he said he’d ordered it but he couldn’t pick it up until tomorrow when he picks up the rest of his order at Home Depot. They are rationing everything these days and only the fact that he paid cash up front kept it from taking over a week to take possession of the order.

After I figured out where I was going to store everything temporarily, I had Sarah and Bekah start bringing me all of the #10 cans from our food storage. I quickly filled our queen-size box spring with roughly 125 #10-sized cans of dehydrated and freeze dried foods. Rose’s twin mattress was filled with about half that many

James’ bed is a captain’s bed so there isn’t a box spring. Instead there is a platform that holds three drawers side-by-side. I had James take the drawers out and stuff as many rolls of toilet paper in there as he could while still being able to fit the drawers back in. He got over 36 rolls in there which I thought was pretty good.

The girls normally sleep in a bunk bed as does Johnnie; no box springs there either. However the girls, Rose, and Johnnie have walk-in closets that have 10 foot ceiling in them. On one shelf in the top of the closets I put as many additional paper products as I could. At least if the paper stuff falls no one is going to get a concussion. Been there done that when that can of freeze dried strawberries came down on my head in the utility room. I’m lucky it was just a mild concussion and a couple of stitches. If it had been dried eggs or dried milk, I coulda lost my head all together.

I spent the rest of the morning stuffing toilet paper, napkins, paper towels, feminine hygiene production, and all sorts of other paper products in all of the out-of-the-way places around the house as I could find.

Lunch: Lunch was pizza. Ok, ok the pizza that most North Americans eat isn’t necessarily the same type of pizzas that you would find in Italy or Europe but the kids had been begging to make pizza for lunch for over a week. If they were willing to do the prep and clean up then I was willing to say “go for it.” The pizza crusts came from packages of mix. The pizza sauce was out of a jar but got doctored with more garlic and some Italian seasoning. The cheese was a combination of processed cheese, grated Parmesan, and grated Romano. The kids also got their pick of pepperoni and a little sausage-flavored TVP for the meat, or canned mushrooms and onions for the veggies. Just for the heck of it and to give the kids something different to do, they cooked their pizzas in a box oven they made from a heavy duty cardboard box that was covered in aluminum foil. The fuel was coals leftover from a fire from some oak branches that Scott had cut down when they were building the fence the other day. Rose made a very strong, sweet lemonade that she stuck in the freezer until it was ice cold. It didn’t quite turn into Italian Lemon Ice, but it was close. The whole thing I put down in their school portfolio as science, home ec, and shop projects. I have no idea whether the school district is even pulling portfolios this year but better safe than sorry.

I left the kids to clean up while I continued trying to figure out where I was going to put everything that was still all over the house in miscellaneous little piles. Those little piles have been mocking me for months and I was just flat out tired of constantly having to walk around them. By hiding stuff I made quite a bit of floor space; we needed it. After Scott got home it took over an hour just to move everything out of his office and another hour to cover the floor – thankfully ceramic tile – with a tarp and to move the most vulnerable plant containers in. Glory this is going to be some work. I figure that we just added two hours of work to our schedule every day for the foreseeable future. Fun, fun, fun. But better than the alternative which is losing my garden.

Scott reported that people are getting really worried about where their next paycheck is going to come from. The decreased work hours available due to the dusk to dawn curfew has caused a lot of lay offs and salary decrases. Scott has already been getting signals from a couple of our tenants that they won’t have heir rent come the first of the month, or they'll maybe only have part of it. All the mortgages, utilities, and insurance are covered by the rent income from our subsidized units. So long as government agencies continue to mail out checks we should be OK for that part of it, but we still have to pay property taxes come November. That doesn’t count repairs and maintenance on the rental units, legal expenses, our own personal expenses or any kind of savings like for the kids’ college funds. Things just keep getting tighter and tighter. And most folks tend to put the landlord at the bottom of the bill pile.

The thoughts of one discomfort lead to another. I’m not really all that sure about Scott’s plan for tomorrow. He’s going right after daybreak to pick David up, stop by Home Depot for his supply order, and then he’s bringing him back here to work. In addition to the false wall lumber and drywall, Scott bought all of the supplies to enclose our freestanding carport and to build an enclosed walk way from the carport into the utility room. We’d talked about doing this for security purposes but I didn’t think we had actually made the decision to do it yet. Scott felt we had. Not a hug miscommunication but I’m not asking how much the materials cost; I figure that the Sugar Daddy money has to be going really fast. I suppose the work will go faster if all three of them - Scott, James, and David - are working on things but it just feels hinky having a stranger in the house after the recent turmoil we’ve been through.

Dinner: For dinner I fixed spaghetti. I could have used some of my home canned sauce that I made a few months ago but I had one commercial sized can of Ragu brand that I hadn’t found a place for yet. I doctored it up with lots of garlic and onion, some canned mushrooms, and some dried veggies that I had like bell peppers, carrots, and zucchini. I would normally add ground beef and sausage to my sauce but it was already meat-flavored so I gave it a pass and tried to play it economical. Instead of bread sticks I made Grits Cakes which is kind of like a southern-style polenta. Everything was very good and all of my little piggies got to eat until they were thoroughly stuffed which they hadn’t done in quite some time. I baked some Rusks while we ate dinner because I will need them for tomorrow's breakfast.

We all had mugs of Amaretto Cocoa while listening to the nightly news as it fed out more of the same old same old. The quarantine zones are holding so don’t worry. Food deliveries are due soon so don’t hoard. Fuel prices will stabilize soon so please be patient and conserve. Infection rates are reportedly the same except for spikes in quarantine zones so follow the NRSC mandates without question. Its almost become normal.

Except we have active duty military troops and National Guards patrolling the streets of our city. Except we are hiding most of our food stockpile on the off chance some government agency wants to “equitably redistribute” supplies around. Except the terms “NRS,” “infected,” and “zombie” all get used in the same sentence several times a day by the news media. Except I have to worry about Scott maybe not coming home at the end of the day because a zombie got him. Except I am stuck in this gilded cage we built and slowly going nuts.

OK, so I’m being more than a little melodramatic about the gilded cage part, but it has been over two weeks since I left our little point four acre yard. And everything else is true.

I better sign off here. Scott’s going to open the wall behind the bookcases and I’m going to try and hide as many cans in those areas as will fit before bed. I want as little as possible visible to David while he is here tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:24 pm 

Yeah!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:58 pm 

Day Nineteen

Another long day today, and we have an overnight guest which feels kind of bizarre.

Up before daybreak so that we could eat and get Scott out the door right at sunrise.

Breakfast: Today’s theme was Africa. OK, so we are talking a whole continent as opposed to a single country but it was what worked. The South African Rusks I fixed last night were dunked into strong, hot cocoa. Not bad but I planned on a mid morning snack of Melktert which is kind of like a Chess Pie for those familiar with southern cooking. I also added the Day 5 ingredients to the bread starter and let Johnnie squish all of that together to give him something to do and to keep him out from under foot while James, Sarah, and I moved the plants back outside.

Scott left in the work van pulling the enclosed trailer. First he swung by and picked up David then they both went and loaded the stuff from Home Depot. It was nearly 10 AM before they showed up here and I’ve never seen such a mess in my life. Scott is usually much more organized with his loading but apparently they were pushed out of HD as fast as they could toss supplies in the van and trailer. Scott said by the time he got through the loading line was wrapping around the building as people waited to get their order verified and their ration books stamped. Luckily Scott has a commercial account whch expedited things for us. No one has to know that most of the load was for our personal use. When they got in they backed into the carport. Scott’s plan was to close off the sides of the carport before emptying all of the supplies so that the neighbors couldn’t see what we were doing.

They got one insulated wall completely installed right as lunch was ready. Good thing I made a lot because I swear Scott, James, and David were hollow from the feet up. David looks quite a bit thinner than I remember him and he wasn't a big guy before. The weight loss doesn't look good on him. It makes me wonder just how bad things are getting for some people.

Lunch: I fixed West African Beans over rice. This recipes used canned white beans and plenty of onion and garlic and was served over white rice. I could have cooked the beans from scratch but didn’t feel up to that much work on top of everything else I was doing. The dish is also a bit spicier than the kids are used to so to cut some of the heat I made Liberian Rice Bread that used a box of Cream of Rice cereal as its base. Instead of the plantains the bread recipe called for I used a jar of banana baby food. Scott is still puzzled why I insisted on buying those cases of babyfood; buy, between one thing and another I know they'll get used. Another splurge I made since we had company was Ethiopian Punch. One of the last items that I stocked up on was individual serving sized cans of fruit juice. The reason I did this, despite the extra cost, was so that I wouldn’t have to open a large can to just have a cup or two of juice for a recipe. You can get an amazing variety of juices in these sized containers now – grape, orange, grapefruit, pear, pineapplie, prune, coconut, apricot, etc. – or at least you could before everything hit the fan. I also poured off the remaining juice from a jar of maraschino cherries and used some raspberry syrup we had used for snowcones over the summer. The recipe made a whole gallon and I even had to cut it a little bit with water because it was really strong.

After lunch the fellas were back hard at it. For the first time in a long time Rose actually volunteered to help me outside in the garden. It took me all of two seconds to realize that her sudden interest in botany was actually generated by curiosity about David. Suppose it had to happen sooner or later and we’ve been lucky that she has been more academically focused up to this point. Hopefully Scott won’t notice and blow a gasket (or hurt her feelings by laughing). As far as I could tell David was completely oblivious so I’m not going to worry about it. He’s actually a good kid from what I can tell from closer dealings and it turns out, at 21, he’s younger than I thought.

The guys had finished up the other side of the carport plus put the gate across the front when James came inside to ask me to come take a look. When I went outside I could hear several sirens off in the distance. Given our proximity to two fire stations, an ambulance service, the interstate, and a road that leads to a major hospital I didn’t think too much of it at first, but when a pretty significant plume of smoke developed off to the southeast I got a little worried. When a military convoy truck came through the neighborhood telling everyone to get indoors and stay there I naturally gave the situation my full attention.

We all went inside and turned on the TV to see what was up. I had to ask David twice to come inside; he seemed a bit embarrassed and at a loss as to how to react and barely stood inside the doorway. He didn’t really move until Scott told him to come look what was on the news. First thing on every local channel was footage of University Community Hospital in flames. Luckily we apparently just missed the live coverage of the nurse whose face was eaten off being sanitized by the hospital's NRSC representative, then this same man looking down at his arm and noticing he was bitten and subsequently putting the pistol in his mouth and "sanitizing" himself. Needless to say that bit of footage will not be re-aired and there is a Federal Order for a 10-second delay on all “live” reporting from this point forward; all under the guise of FCC rules of course, so as not to unduly alarm the public. Hmmm, wonder if my typing is embuing that last sentence with the amount of sarcasm that it deserves.

Official reports are that there were originally five NRS escapees from the mobile morgue that was parked at UCH. The mobile morgue was ostensibly to be used to separate out infected corpses and sanitize them. Apparently the new supposedly more “humane” sanitizing by lethal injection to the brain stem or by lobotomy doesn’t work. Over the objections of the ACLU officials are returning to the previous sanitizing method of brain destruction by blunt force trauma, bullet, or fire – whichever is more expedient. The asinine “catch ‘em with a net” mandate is out as well to the total relief of the front line hunters. Three of the infected were apprehended almost immediately, but not before entering the hospital via a loading bay and wreaking havoc. One was captured while we were watching the news. That leaves one still on the loose. One is enough.

The one escapee is also why our area is on lock down.

Dinner: Life must go on so while the guys watched the news I fixed African Curry for dinner. I did have to substitute canned chicken for the chicken pieces but that wasn’t a problem and all the other ingredients I already had on hand. Again I served it over rice. With the extra mouth to feed I’m glad I have plenty of rice and beans. There was a little Ethiopian Punch left and we served it over cracked ice for those that wanted it otherwise I had made a gallon of solar tea. For dessert I made an eggless African Ginger Cake. The spice came from cayenne pepper as much as anything else and was kind of interesting.

Before full dark we brought all of our plant containers back in even though we weren't supposed to be outside at all. Now that we know what we are doing moving the plants is taking less time, but it is still a pain. Tomorrow I’m getting the dolly out of the shed to help with the bigger pots.

When it became apparent that David was pretty much stuck here, Scott stepped in and convinced him to stay. But none of us could convince him to sleep on any of the spare beds. He opted for the air mattress on the living room floor.

When I asked Scott why he was being so stand off-ish he explained that David was just very self contained and didn’t know what to make of our big-family-togetherness or what to make of him being so readily included. I guess it can get a little overwhelming for an outsider but David, for all his aloofness, is turning out to be surprisingly likeable. Poor kid; he is bringing out my mother hen side. Hope he can stand it for a while longer. He’s stuck with us for another day anyway as Scott wants to complete the carport tomorrow and try and at least get started on the false wall. Not to mention no one is going anywhere until the NRSC ends the lockdown.

I’ll also admit that there are benefits to have an extra adult in the house on a night like this. James and I are taking the first watch. Scott will take the second watch. And David will spell Scott for the last watch as he is naturally a very early riser anyway.

For those that wanted to relax I fixed West African Hot Chocolate. It used dark chocolate rather than cocoa powder or milk chocolate for its base. The sweetener was a mix of honey and brown sugar. It also had vanilla and cinnamon to it. I drank more tea to keep me awake but the warm milk after a day of hard work and nerves pretty much put everyone else to straight to sleep.

James is sitting here beside me nodding off and it is time for me to go wake Scott. I’ve been listening to large vehicles rumble up and down our road off and on for the last couple of hours. I guess they are still looking for the last NRS victim. Except for those trucks, everything has been unusually quiet. Not even the token dog or cat fight has disturbed the night. I hope they find the infected person soon if they haven’t already. I don’t want to be cooped up in the house all day tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:50 pm 

It's quiet...too quiet. Uh oh!

Kathy, your writing is very good. I'm really enjoying reading this, thank you!!! :D

Beowolf wrote:
Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.

wee drop o' bush wrote:
THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:26 pm 

Still Rockin'. Too bad for me, I read the latest chapters at home. Now I will really have to do some work tomorrow. Damn

Good story.

Z dude wrote:
nunchuku (Yes I know how to use 'em) 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:20 am 

Damn... I haven't had Chess Pie since the last time I was in Tennessee.... No one up here even know what it is....

*sigh*

Good additions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:19 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Better and better, good job Kathy, keep 'um comming! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:46 pm 

I have to agree with my good friend Shoe Daddy, and I'll repeat his words.

MOOAAAAAR!!!!

Congratulations, you now have a small following of moar zombies. :D

That'll be $29.99 for each zombie, and no returns. :P

And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:23 am 

MOAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:57 am 

I can feel the tension building. I think something VERY bad is going to happen soon... I will shamble back to work now. Thanks for the great story... MOAR...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:40 am 

Bad things are always coming ... but more often than not they happen when you least expect them. We'll build the tension a little more first shall we. :lol: :evil: :lol:

Seriously though I'm trying to put myself in the day-to-day running of a household in the midst of the beginning stages of a zombie pandemic. I'd probably be like that little frog that starts out in a nice cool pool of water never realizing that as the heat is turned up I'm actually doing the back stroke in a pot of boiling soup.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:00 pm 

Day Twenty

Woke up to the news that the NRS Containment Team caught the last of the escaped infected victims around 4 AM this morning. Somehow the diseased person made it all the way up to the county line unnoticed. The only reason he was eventually caught was because he stumbled into the Pasco County Animal Shelter. The screams of the animals and the screams of the night staff were heard by a patrol. Luckily only the infected person had to be sanitized though many of the animals had to be euthanized due to their injuries and other trauma. The two staff members had saved themselves by locking themselves in the rabies quarantine room.

Today’s menu theme was the UK. I’ve never been but have always wanted to go there for a visit and play tourist. Given the economy and how crazy life has turned I’m wondering if I’ll ever get to visit the land many of my immigrant ancestors came from. It certainly kept the kids occupied studying England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. It helped keep them out of trouble since we were still pretty much stuck in place while the authorities back tracked the NRS victim’s path.

Breakfast: Oatmeal is supposed to be a very traditional Scottish breakfast and our family frequently enjoys it for breakfast too. To make it even more authentic, I used steel-cut oats. Yummy and very filling.

I felt pretty good about the fact that David didn’t have to be asked twice if he wanted seconds. I think all the guys were in an eating contest this morning. David and James got along really well. I worried a little that James would be jealous of the time that David gets to spend with Scott. James wants to go out and help his dad so much but then feels bad about the idea of leaving “the girls and the baby” home alone with no manly protection. I’ll give both of the boys double bonus points for being so mature about the situation and I could tell David also went out of his way to commend James for having the patience to stay home. I think that made James feel grown up.

Right after breakfast the guys moved the plants out for me and then started moving all of the stuff from the van and trailer in. Then they finished enclosing the walkway to the utility room door. What I really like is that they included our well house in the enclosed area. That’ll secure it against potential vandalism which is something I had been worrying over a bit.

They finished measuring and cutting the lumber to frame in the false wall in the pantry right as I finished preparing lunch.

Lunch: I fixed a super easy version of Potato Soup. The recipe used instant potato flakes instead of raw or canned potatoes. Then I made a fresh batch of Irish Soda Bread to go with the soup. The meal was rounded out with tea to drink; iced and sweet as opposed to hot.

After lunch the guys finished framing the false wall, put up the drywall, then mudded and taped the joints. The resulting hidden space is 5 feet by 8 feet. Scott had already built me shelves along the 8 foot section of the wall for our last wedding anniversary. The one disadvantage is that there is no electricity in the space. James said he will put a ceiling hook in there so that I can hang a lantern and I’ve also got some of the LED tap lights that I can stick on the wall. I’ve got the barrels of grains in there that Daddy sent. They barely fit at either end of the space. Then I’ve got the few super pails that I have lined up on the floor at the bottom of the shelves. I spent the rest of the afternoon putting all of the jars and cans back onto the shelves as will fit. That still leaves quite a lot that I haven’t got a space for and Scott said depending on what goes down over the next few weeks he might close in the other side of the pantry. I’d wind up with a hallway from the house into the utility room as opposed to going from the house into a room that I use as a pantry and then into the utility room.

For the door Scott framed out a small panel that opens out. He used really heavy duty hinges and then bolted an old wooden bookcase to the panel. David actually came up with the idea of using a speaker mounting magnet to keep the door closed rather than trying to figure out how to hide a handle or knob. I’d still like to figure out a way to latch and lock the area but the magnet gets the job done so well that I really have to pull to open the panel.

You can’t see the door because the book case hides it and you’d think the door was sitting on the floor but it is actually about a quarter inch off and easily swings without dragging the ground at all. I’m pretty impressed if I do say so myself.

They got as far as they could by 3:30 which is when the lock down was lifted. Before Scott and David took off we had “tea time” to mimic the English tradition. Our “biscuits” were lemon cookies and we had iced tea which seemed kinda sacrilegious but it was just too hot for anything else. Not to mention I could just imagine the looks from the guys had I pulled out my china tea service. Of course the cookies were inhaled.

Scott fairly flew to get a few stops made and David back to his place so that he could return home before curfew kicked in. I packed David a thermos of soup to take home and he was touchingly grateful and promised to return the thermos tomorrow.

When Scott got home he told of being forced to go through several check points. The path the NRS Infected was well to the north of our location, thank goodness. Scott seemed to get the feeling that the NRS … oh for Pete’s Sake, why is it so hard for me to even type it?! Zombie. The freaking zombie’s path passed to the north of us. And no, typing the word doesn’t make me feel any less weird but I guess that is the term we are all going to eventually get stuck saying. It is just too outlandish to hear ourselves talking about real zombies as opposed to the ones in the gory movies I used to enjoy watching.

As I was saying, Scott seemed to get the feeling that the zombie must have hit at least one other location between the hospital and the animal shelter. Nothing has been on the news, but if not, then how did they figure out the path? Makes you go, "Hmmmmm. What are they NOT telling us?"

Dinner: Dinner was one of the more complicated dishes that I have made since we started our voluntary sequestering. First I fixed Chicken Cider Pie that required me to substitute canned chicken, canned mushrooms and canned carrots for the fresh ingredients; the pie crusts I had to make by hand which was a trip after getting spoiled (or lazy) buying crusts frozen for the last couple of years. I then made Creamed Peas, substituting canned peas for the frozen. For dessert I made bread pudding using the loaf of Amish bread that I had put in the freezer. Everyone but Johnnie had tea again to drink for dinner.

After dinner Scott added a little more mud to the drywall joints. Tomorrow he’s going to have James sand the wall and then texture coat everything. The day after that we’ll paint the room and ceiling, throw down a rug, hang some pictures and hopefully a casual inspection will leave no one the wiser.

The kids and I brought my plants in right before it got dark and then rolled down the security doors. Since they caught the zombie – glory, there is that blasted term again – we won’t set any night time watches.

When I asked Scott what David did at night, he told me he has a closet that he barricades himself into. That just breaks my heart, but I’m not sure what we are supposed to do about it. What we do for him we would have to do for all of the units. But at the same time he works for Scott now and maybe there should be perks for that. Carlos (the scum bucket) certainly got his share of perks. On thing that Scott and I discussed is providing him with at least one meal on the days David works. He’s a good kid, but I worry that we are getting too attached to him too quickly.

After yesterday’s ruckus, today’s news seemed tame. They added the Dallas/Ft. Worth area to the list of cities that are in danger of quarantine. New Orleans also made the short list as did Little Rock, Arkansas of all places. Chicago is holding their own as is St. Louis after a brief flare up in infection rates. I've got several internet buddies in both of those places so I'm glad that they are at least keeping their heads above water. Who knows how things will go this winter though with heating oil being in short supply.

Something that was on TV that I consider rather silly was an infomercial on how to spot an NRS-infected person complete with charts and graphics and “key questions” to ask before assuming anyone is infected. Excuse me, but if I have what I think may be a zombie baring down on me or a family member I’m not going to stop and note skin tone, whether they have blood on them, and ask them if they know their own name, the year, and who the current president is. Geez. I guess they started having trouble with vigilante justice using the excuse, “But I thought they were a zombie” a few too many times. I think the politically correct “solution” though is just as bad as the problem and will probably cause twice as many deaths. We’ve now lost an entire hospital to that type of nonsensical thinking.

I’m too exhausted to hop on top of that particular soap box tonight. Late nights and early mornings are beginning to remind me too much of my college days when I was young, dumb, and way too full of energy for my own good. I’m just not cut out for that nonsense any more and having five kids, a husband, and a household to run is more important than reliving my youthful idiocy. Obviously I’m cranky so I’m going to head off to bed. Maybe a good night’s rest is what I need.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:02 pm 

And just for the record, I want to really thank everyone for their encouragement. Its nice to know that my weird ramblings are being read. LOL!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:42 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

They are definately being read, and will continue to be, so long as you continue to write. You cant escape moar zombies, no one can...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 363  Next