Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Re: Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years

Post by LowKey » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:17 am

It's the holiday season folks, she may just be a bit busy with family activities. Let's not give up hope until after New Years.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

skarface
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by skarface » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:39 am

Hey, Kathy! I'm a lurker who had to register after reading your story. Great job with it all.

However, you've spoiled me for all zombie stories and movies, now. Huh.

Thanks for it all! I almost lost a week or three of work because of this awesome thread.
TheLastRifleMan wrote:Thank you and thank you, blessed work van! Nothing but premium fuel for you, damn what the boss says! And a wash once a week!
Mysty wrote:I do pity sissy as she has been out there a long time with that gaping hole in her leg, but until 'chocolate' tastes good again, I think Sissy's gonna be waiting a bit lol.

thebigstick

Post by thebigstick » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:23 pm

welcome skarface you have come in at a sad time to be a moar zombie for our beloved mother hen has gone missing :cry: and left us all here to starve with no story. hope you will be able to overcome the addiction some day but for some of us its too late and we slowly rot away hitting the refresh key in hopes of moar. do not be ashamed to join us though because it is inevitable to become a moar zombie after reading the MJOTZY.
Visit the new Southern California Zombie Squad chapter ZS:44
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=134

maddmatt

Post by maddmatt » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:31 pm

Last visited: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:52 am

Kathy was on this morning, there is still hope!

"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…" Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

skarface
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by skarface » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:36 pm

thebigstick wrote:welcome skarface you have come in at a sad time to be a moar zombie for our beloved mother hen has gone missing :cry: and left us all here to starve with no story. hope you will be able to overcome the addiction some day but for some of us its too late and we slowly rot away hitting the refresh key in hopes of moar. do not be ashamed to join us though because it is inevitable to become a moar zombie after reading the MJOTZY.

Thanks, I think I can hold off the uncontrllable urgings for....nnnNNNnnnOOOoooOOOO....

MOAR
TheLastRifleMan wrote:Thank you and thank you, blessed work van! Nothing but premium fuel for you, damn what the boss says! And a wash once a week!
Mysty wrote:I do pity sissy as she has been out there a long time with that gaping hole in her leg, but until 'chocolate' tastes good again, I think Sissy's gonna be waiting a bit lol.

Blackgunboy

Post by Blackgunboy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:35 pm

Thanks for the great story KIF. :D

I was hoping someone has gone ahead and put all of the journal entries into a single file. If such a file exists, could you PM me so that I might get it. I read somewhere on this thread in a previous post that someone may be working on one. I really would like to get my daughter reading this, she'd love it . Thanks.

SW

tenhigh

Post by tenhigh » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:54 pm

please, please, please write moar Kathy.

If this dry spell, or dare I say it hiatus, keeps up, I'll have to go reread Doc66's stories, and that will just get me more depressed when I run out. Therefore:

BobtheBreaker wrote:Posting while retardedly drunk is what we at ZS call SPP, Standard Posting Procedure.
bonanacrom wrote:I was saving that technique for after I win the lottery and have purchased my yak. I will saddle him and ride him drunk all across the property with spear and shield terrorizing the local squirrels and running trespassers off the land !

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:12 pm

Guys, I'm trying. Between the holidays and business I'm scrambling to find time to do the new story elements justice. I'm sorry I'm running so far behind. Economy is hitting all of us and I'm having to help hubby pick up the slack. I'll try to get out another posting in another day or two. This is just no longer a story that can be written while I'm on hold on the phone. There are too many elements and stuff that I have to be careful to research.

------------------------------------------

Day 346 (Thursday) – July 11th

Honestly, there is nothing that smells worse than the putrid odor of zombies in the summer or what is left of zombies I should say.

I think I’ve got the day right. We’ve been working round the clock and the days are starting to run together. We’ve been cleaning. I told Glenn that while part of me appreciates his Caddyshack solution to the zombie hive, if we ever have to use it again to this magnitude he could clean it up himself. Honestly every time I think we’ve taken care of all of the mess something will turn up; biological debris wedged into an out of the way stucco wall or concrete block, a blood pool that seeped around a window frame, some material fluttering from a high tree branch like the tail of a demented kite.

I’ve had to scrap a couple of the small garden plots. They were too contaminated to simply plow under or wash off so we had to use the peroxide to flush them with. The produce wasn’t worth taking a chance with. I pulled anything growing up and put it in the compost heap. It’s nearly time to let the gardens have a summer break anyway. I was happy the big summer garden of okra and black eyed peas were spared. The big field of Spanish peanuts were also spared and one of the things I had the kids doing was pulling the plants and stacking them into stacks to finish drying. I also pulled the luffa gourds and they are sitting under nets drying as well.

We had two days of torrential rains, an early tropical storm, wash most of the mess away or deep into the ground. We had to replow and then deeply cultivate the three “killing fields” outside of the curtain wall. The rain uncovered too much; the smell wafted for miles.

We finally ran off the last of the human scavengers when we started using the high pressure pumper trucks that Bob fixed the guts of. We washed some zombies out of hiding as well. They weren’t hiding intentionally but because they were stuck. We’ve pulled all the equipment into the skunkworks and we’ll go through it there; anything too tore up for immediate use will be hauled to an area where we are going to build a scrap yard. Bob wants to try melting some of the scraps and ultimately being able to pour the molten metal into new forms. Beats me if it is possible with our current manufacturing capacity but the process had to start somehow during ancient times and we aren’t quite that archaic.

What we need more than a metalworks however is a glassworks. We’ve got a lot of broken windows and the mosquitoes are bad. Glenn gathered the equipment while on those runs he and some of the young bucks made but the process is pretty tedious if I understanding it right. We have many crates of broken glass at this point, but you have to make sure to remove all biological debris (human or plant) as well as any other contaminants otherwise you’re left with a bad discoloration or weak spot.

We’re in even a worse fix for screens. The girls and I are repairing what we can by sewing them together but some have chunks missing from them, either torn or melted, and need replacing completely.

The repair to the curtain wall foundation has proceeded, but not without delays. We finally had to sew up some sand bags to hold the sand in place and then we used that orange construction netting to hold the stack of sandbags in place. As soon as the rain lets up completely we are going to use the Bobcats to pack more sand over that and then we’ll roll sod on top of that.

I know that sounds like we’re curing today’s problems by creating problems for tomorrow but there will always be problems to solve. If the grass does become an issue we’ll just run Ol’ Billy and his descendants through the area. There are a couple of places in the moat I am thinking about growing bamboo sort of like those things that the men laid in the road to keep vehicles from being able to move very fast.

Amazingly the carp, catfish, and gators came through relatively unscathed. We lost a few but not near as many as was expected. We won’t eat them for a couple of seasons to make sure they don’t suffer some contamination just to be on the safe side.

All of the animals are creating a strain on the resources inside the wall so we’ve had no choice but to utilize outside “pasture” areas. Mr. Choi’s young ladies help with this chore and I’ve been forced to let Sarah take her turn as well though I’m far from comfortable doing so.

And all of this work has been done with an ear turned on what is happening in the area and further afield. It is very hard for us to believe that the NRSC would simply take a licking like they took here and not try some form of retribution. My brother said that their commanders don’t appear to be very experienced as far as strategy goes. You can either watch them perform something straight out of a textbook like they are taking an open book test or they seem to react purely on emotion. There isn’t a whole lot of flexibility to their battle plans.

I’m not sure where that leaves us. Do we have time to completely recoup and develop new defensive postures? Do we have time to rebuild what has been damaged? What, if anything, are they going to throw at us next?

I know something we are really worried about is whether they are going to come at us from the air or use some “smart bomb” type thing from long distance. My brother said that there has been a few air attacks from not many; the Air Force pretty much has restricted that type of movement by the NRSC. The infrastructure and tech is questionable for the NRSC being able to use long range bombs if they were able to keep any away from the US military. What my brother said some are worried about is if the NRSC is sending exploratory groups to take weapons out of the cache of other countries … like Cuba, Canada, and possibly even further afield like Europe or even the former Eastern bloc countries.

How did we step into this hornet’s nest? Last year this time all Scott and I worried about was putting food on the table and keep Code Enforcement off of our backs. If I think about it too hard it gives me a migraine and acid indigestion.

If we’ve come this far in a year, what are the coming days, weeks, and months going to bring? Maybe I should only worry about today and tomorrow. There is plenty enough to deal with for that without begging problems I don’t even know about yet.

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:31 pm

Thanks for story.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

eazy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead,Dawn of the dead.28 days later,28 weeks later all n.o.t.l.d movies,Land of the dead and I'm sure there are more i can't remember right now.

Post by eazy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:32 pm

Great entry Kathy just in time for my birfday (tomorrow) Now if we could just get all this snow they have been teasing me with I'll be tickled.
bonanacrom wrote:When I bite into a York Peppermint Pattie, I get the sensation of the life draining out of a man's body as I crush his windpipe, silencing forever his irritatingly cheerful banter, when all I wanted was to pay for my coffee and leave. Get the sensation.
TravisM.1 wrote:I'm not squeamish about much, but I don't fuck with poop.

tenhigh

Post by tenhigh » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:40 pm

Thanks for moar story, and I hope the Holidays don't get you down too bad. Good luck with it, and thanks again for the update. :D :D :D
BobtheBreaker wrote:Posting while retardedly drunk is what we at ZS call SPP, Standard Posting Procedure.
bonanacrom wrote:I was saving that technique for after I win the lottery and have purchased my yak. I will saddle him and ride him drunk all across the property with spear and shield terrorizing the local squirrels and running trespassers off the land !

thebigstick

Post by thebigstick » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:21 am

yes yes yes thanks for the MOAR story Kathy and hope the situation works out for you and your hubby, from all of us Moar zombies to you we wish our momma hen the best in this holiday season.
Visit the new Southern California Zombie Squad chapter ZS:44
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=134

Peregrine Falcon

Post by Peregrine Falcon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:22 am

No apologies are ever necessary Kathy.

You've written a great story on your own time, and we get to enjoy it for free!

Take care of yourself and your familiy, they have to come first. Get to the story when you can. I just hope that it's soon. :D

LemmeHitYa

Post by LemmeHitYa » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:40 am

Ahh, thank you Kathy! Nothing like MJOTZY to keep a gal warm on these cold, snowy mornings.

:D

maddmatt

Post by maddmatt » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:57 am

Thank you for the story it has made my week.

"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…" Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Commo141

Post by Commo141 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:44 am

As alway Kathy thank you.
Ward
Proud moar zombie since May 2009

ozwyn

Post by ozwyn » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:56 am

woohoo!

Thanks for the updates!
CLEAR CUT wrote:I eat hot food because I dig pain and it's far cheaper than paying a dominatrix to kick me in the balls repeatedly.
Necrodamus wrote:Dont put yourself in a situation that is going to put you in a situation.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:02 am

Thank you, thank you.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

Ronin71XS

Post by Ronin71XS » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:53 am

Thanks Kathy! Don't worry about the delays, we'll just shuffle about moaning "MOAR" and keeping away from Beth's skirts-of-darkness.
Do, Do Not, there is no try. ~Yoda

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.~ Leonardo Da Vinci

Come To The DarkSide....We have cookies.~~V

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks for the story!
zXzGrifterzXz wrote: "An Armed Society is a polite society, unless they are talking on the Internet......then they are total bastards to each other."

nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by nateted4 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:27 pm

YAY!
Raptor wrote:Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.
Kommander wrote:So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

The1Paladin
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (Origonal), Resident Evil

Post by The1Paladin » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:03 pm

Thank you very much Kathy. Take your time as you need, it is a very busy time for us all, so if you need, take a couple of weeks.
*PLEASE NOTE*
Skynet will go live December 21st, 2012.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:59 pm

Thank you for the update Kathy :D great as always, we understand busy, I think some of us were just starting to get worried in general so the "moar" cries came out.

Or maybe a lot of the folks are just that impatient :lol:

jaybird
Favorite Zombie Movies: the entire Dead' series

Post by jaybird » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:19 am

Thanks for storytime, Kathy! As for how you feel, I think most would agree here we're happiest with your best work (which seems to come when you've got a breather and time to think). I wish you and yours the best for this holiday season :) .
" Memory is like a knife. It can hurt you."-Lady Murasaki, Hannibal Rising

" Civility must be rewarded...or else there's no use for it. There's no use for it, at all...."- Dr. Logan, DOTD

Return to “Fiction”