Fagin

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

man in black
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead
return of the living dead
28 days later
28 weeks later

Re: Fagin

Post by man in black » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:32 pm

this. is fucking brilliant. ive been reading this all day.
i just have one question.

MOARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
As we run into the house
The wall of dead surrounds
Tentacles of decay flesh
Tear and pull us down
Doors and windows boarded shut
But the pressure was too much
Zombie I, girl please run away

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevincurbstomp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- my tumblr

Real_Ale_Act
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like the PAW ones better!

Post by Real_Ale_Act » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:13 pm

Ahem:

MOAR!

Please?
Pretty Please?
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
Suizen wrote: (damned to hell reason and logic... who needs it?! PANIC SQUAD!!! UNITE!)
Chapter XV: ZS, California-Style

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:18 am

Alchemy
A career in it may have become a load of push button boredom, but my cellar wasn’t like a modern chemical lab, no NMR, No IR or UV spectra, Bodged equipment, and the remains of the chemistry equipment I’d bought for my masters project. It smelt like an alchemist’s lab, the extractor fans being overworked, but I decided it was best for the animals, and my boys, if I could put some filters on the stuff my experiments might be putting out. At one end of the cellar, My Barrels, Some Full some Empty. With any luck, we’d fill the empty ones soon, with Must for Cider, or a Honey Mix for Mead. We had some bottles of organic beer from the market, still sealed, which proclaimed they had live yeast in. With any luck, some spores had survived.

The Other end, past grandfathers wine rack, was the bench I had cleared for my lab, Here I had built a fume hood, with case’s help. The Smell of Coal tar, Iodine, Charcoal extracts, and real chemistry.

I really started making stuff when Simon lost his finger. Iodoform, dead simple antiseptic. I don’t get great yields, not from the coal or charcoal anyway, not of certain purity, and I can’t risk some of the by products. I doubt we’ll live long enough to be really effected by most carcinogen’s I worked very cautiously around in Uni though.

What I had now though, was a concentrated solution of three herbs, roots and such. Their essential compounds, distilled under the lowest heat I could. From all the knowledge I could gather, they were used to reduce feaver, both in the old, old books of wives tales and folk law in my grandmothers library, and the new age bullshit guides.

I hoped it would work for Baz. It was the best I could do, and a little test tube of clear oils was pitiful compared to the modern medicine he needed.

Behold, an update! And I promise one tommorow :D

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy failing exams and moving house, Hopefully get more done when I'm moved in, currently crashing at my mates right now, as the bloody landlord didn't have the place ready.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:03 am

They Turned me into a Newt.

I got better. It was... terrifying is the right word, to get sick again. And to see in everyone’s eye’s, and no one gonna say nothing, ‘cos if you die, they might die too, and then everyone else dies.

Some people killed themselves, when everyone got sick the first time round. Nothing left to live for, with all the rest of the world gone. Not me, not my Cousins. Not any of us. When you got nothing, you got life.

I’m glad I don’t remember being sick. Not much, Just bad dreams, and being hot, and my Cousin’s, I remember them both, Hack and Adrian.

And this god awful medicine, I remember that.

And now I’m better. Uncle was the first one Hack let up to see me. Yeah, Hack let him up, he’s actually being responsible for once. Wouldn’t let anybody but him and Adrian look after me. And judging from the jokes he’s been making about what they had to do while I was Ill, that's probably a good thing.

My mate Broadside was next, and he brought more than that stupid medicine. Sweets, he’d got from the market, bloody expensive. And news. It’s just flu, going round, the first sign of things to come, I got it bad, but it wasn’t the big sickness.

And all our stores are in. And more. We’ve got more than we can store, and thats about 3 times more than we’d eat till next harvest. And all the Fodder for the Animals till spring.

We argued about that. I’ve been reading this book, one of Grandfathers... Not my grandfathers I mean, Uncles Grandfather.

It’s real strange how he’s become Grandfather. Even to those kids who didn’t meet him, when you ask uncle a question, you hear Grandfathers voice.

An this book. It’s for small holders, and it say’s we should slaughter excess stock for the beef. We’re keeping all the Cows, and the Bull, But the Bullock’s, they ain’t gonna ever give us calves, so why feed ‘em?

Broadside thinks we should fatten ‘em up another year, he reckon we can get all the meat we need from hunting, He wants to do this thing called a drive.

Apparently it's nothing like a drive by, which was his first guess. He listens to too much rap.
My Guide to Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

AinsyC

Post by AinsyC » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:10 am

YAY! you're back! AWESOME!! but still......MOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRR!!
Zombies and Latin.......technically dead but still influencing society.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:15 am

Promise more as soon as I've moved in.

Also Moar Zombies, old and new, the one thing I crave beyond all else is feedback, and speculation, and criticism on what I've got so far. So if anyone has any epiletic tree's, wild ideas, or anything of the sort, please drop me a PM, it inspires me to write.
My Guide to Fletching

Johan

Post by Johan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Thank you !!!

I just have one small request,
LOTS MOOAAAAAR!!!
Firepower...
-Is One Bullet that Hits!

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:31 am

This update is with thanks to Kathy in FL.
Market Day
My plan had worked. With Food comming in from us farmers, the gangs in Norwich had stopped raiding. Stopped raiding us any row, There had been plenty of deaths in between them, fighting over stuff to trade. But the attack that had killed Reg and Charlie had been the furthest out they’d got.

At least thats what I thought. With Baz better, but still feeling under the weather, I decided that this time, I’d take the trip to market, Sell some of the surplus, see what the gossip was.

Things seemed, sadly familiar now. The stalls filled with people trading, the streets with people buying, and some actual value added busisnesses were setting up. And not just setting up for the market day either, actually fulltime. A proper Bar even, in the old Sir Garnet Woolsey. It was like it used to be. Except that it wasn’t. more like a small market town than the bustling city it was. And it was growing, new accents, people not from round here.

And of course, old friends. The Sarge had come in again, with more pigs. We shook hands like proper business men, but like all soldiers, he had a brew on (well, like a good NCO, he had someone else getting a brew on for him). He invited me in for a cuppa.
My Guide to Fletching

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:03 am

Brew Up
‘Look you now’ the sarge had said, pointing at one of the new permanent residents ‘Loads of them, they’ll be coming’

He sipped at his mug of tea, and I sipped at mine. It came as a powder, ready made up with milk, and though oddly familiar, was not tea. With two paper packets of sugar, it became ‘Nato Standard’, as the lanky squaddie the sarge had make it up for us called it.

‘Words spread fast’ the Sarge continued, ‘people have been hearing about the food coming in here, the work, ain’t too many other places that’ve had your idea’

He sipped again, and we sat in silence for a moment like two old gaffers, watching my boys deal with one of our regulars, and a drifter trying to haggle the price of a pistol from one of the local scrap dealers.

‘Holtom’s getting all the credit you know’ his tone was testing, he knew I knew, just not if I cared, which I didn’t. He nodded at the drifter, who was currently offering a chocolate bar, a small pile of what looked like gold jewelery, and some batteries.

‘Holtom’s gonna put a stop to that soon’ I didn’t know whether he meant barter trade, or firearms dealing, but he clarified when I asked.
‘Both, pretty soon he’s gonna call another council. Word is, he’s got a whole raft of laws he’s gonna set in place. He don’t like the way Bowrun’s dealing with crooks, or the way we’s all are dealing without paying him a penny. And with the publicity, everyother bod who moves in thinks he’s the real mover and shacker, and they’ll back him’

The Sarge seemed to be in a loop that I wasn’t. When I asked him what he knew, he explained.

‘I finally got in touch with someone on the radio. The Light Dragoon base, some where west. ‘

I knew it, over near Dereham

‘well, they got their radio’s working at last. There’s a Subbie there seems to have his head screwed on right, he’s organised it up, and is recruiting as many lads, from any regiment as he can’

So the sarge had someone giving him orders again, I assumed, but he explained to me.

‘Nah, He brought the last orders from GHQ. Apparently when it all went properly tits up, all of us are under orders to survive, as best we can, until a legitimate government recontacts us. Apparently there's three in London, which is where this Subbie came from. That's why I know more are gonna come here’

I sipped my tea. This gave me a lot to think about. There was still a surplus of food, fields unharvested for lack of hands or machinery, But if the whole country came here. Once, East Anglia had been the countries bread basket, but now? I hoped too many didn’t come too soon, and outstrip the resources. Or too late, and kill us for our stores.
My Guide to Fletching

Johan

Post by Johan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:03 pm

MOOAAAAAR!!!

Keep It Coming!!!!

Please!!!
Firepower...
-Is One Bullet that Hits!

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:32 am

Comments, speculation and criticism get posts. This is thanks to Jimbawb :D

Iron Pig
The Newcomer that the sarge had commented on was opening up a stall. A Pig, made of wrought iron, was his sign, and he’d set up a small forge. He looked to be a farrier blacksmith, judging by the horse shoes he was setting out, and the decorative work, like the pig that seemed to be his shop sign.

When I’d finished my tea I went over too him. We had a good chat. And I found out the truth behind the Sarges word, word about the place was spreading, the blacksmith had come from one of the northern shires, quite a ways away.

And he babbled happily about there being proper government, and the good news about this Holtom chap, who had taken charge, and as everyone had heard it, stopped the gang violence, and the mayhem.

It still didn’t bother me, that he got the credit, any ro, but it did bother me, what he’d do with it.

The day wore on, and as it came time for us to be leaving, and I sad goodbye to the sarge, word came down from the forum to us by one of Holtoms goons. He had a swagger, an arm band, and a big stick in his belt. He didn’t speak softly though. The Meeting would be held in 2 days time.

This was bad news. That was barely time enough to get word out to all the farmers, and have them get here in time. And Most of them wouldn’t, couldn’t abandon their property to come in. As It was I decided I was gonna stay here in town, rather than go out and back again, waste precious fuel. The Woolsey had rooms according to it’s new sign.
My Guide to Fletching

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:12 pm

I've just been sat here since 5 o'clock reading the whole thing(its now after 10pm)

I quite liked it when the audio bits were in amongst the text parts, more for the way in which they were the background prior to the story....some other fiction I've read has been arranged that way

What you get is as if your showing "These are the characters and this is how they react" and then you get the backstory that shows "This is why they are this way"

I'm from Norfolk (the west side)and I've known people who talk like this all my life, mind you you are making a damm good fist of writing different characters bits in different 'voices'

Norfolk Moar Zombie Mode engaged......don't disappoint me
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:34 pm

Well, I can't disapoint a fellow dumpling now can I :D

Perhaps you know some of the places I mention in the Book. Do you know...

The Woolsey
Norwich, as I’m sure I’ve said before, has a lot of pubs. Had rather. I expect they’d be rather disapointed now, and I doubt the good pub guide would of listed the Woolsey as it is now. It does have it’s advantages to the publican though. It used to be a protected building, so it’s got real fireplaces, and the usual pub clobber and horse brass, some of it now put to use, the lamps leaving sooty stains above them, though they don’t light them during the day, leaving it lit by the surprisingly clean windows, though the paper used to patch some of the damage makes it oddly shaded in places. It was empty, and I recalled none of the boys had actually been in for a drink here, just said that it was gonna be a real bar again. The sign out side advertised food, drink and clean water, and rooms.

It’s fiarly obvious that it’s in the process of being fixed up. Some newcomer thinking to set up in business. I was looking forward to meeting him. He’d got the right attitude certainly, A copy of the carefully Painted sign that hung outside was the most obvious new addition, except this one also had a list of rules, I rather liked the final rule

‘Rulebreakers will be shot’

He was gonna be popular with Holtom.

Or she as it turned out, a striking woman, gun casually in hand, in a leather jacket and striped apron, and a look that most definately said ‘I’m in charge here’
My Guide to Fletching

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:53 pm

I don't get into Norwich that much, its a 100 mile round trip

I know the market though and used to always eat at the Wafflehouse just up the road from there

BTW you gonna use Elm Hill or the Madder Market?

*edit* MOAR :D
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

NightHiker

Post by NightHiker » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:55 pm

:words:
Last edited by NightHiker on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geko

Post by geko » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:33 am

MOARRR!!!!

Trident
Favorite Zombie Movies: Have not yet decided.

Post by Trident » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:20 pm

Sweet story.
Thank you for posting.
The audios are also very enjoyable to listen to.
You have a nice voice and the use of tone and pacing is improving.
Look forward to your next installment.
Tri

geko

Post by geko » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:48 am

okay seriously i need the update fix!
MOAR!
MOAR!
am i flogging a dead horse?

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:02 am

No I'm still here, still writing, when I can.

I haz lost my Pay, but still got my Job (Yay for Budget Cuts), Got Lots of Uni work to do, and am waiting for some stuff to comeback from review before I post it (writing from a female POV is hard, any Female volunteers to review my work, apply within).

Hopefully I'll get more stuff written soon, but you are probably looking at December and my train journey home before I can get anything really done.
My Guide to Fletching

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:24 pm

Oh bother, now I'm all caught up and wanting more.

I enjoy the low key farming point of view. Much more accessible than watching Charlie Heston or Will Smith bopping through the remains of a modern metropolis.

I enjoy the multiple points of view but sometimes it is not clear from the outset who is speaking.

The chronological age of Barcham seems to be shifting. He's one of the "olders" but you refer to the Army sergeant who about thirty as, really old.

I like hearing about how a British small hold farm works. Some of my BP friends here in Venezuela have a 10 acre spread near Aberdeen with loads of game and a trout stream. I know that it is clear on the opposite end of the UK but you story gives me a sense of connection.

Never found an example of a Durrant knit pattern.

Here is an idea. If you want to attract collaborators, create a link to profiles of other characters in the story so people can try submitting drafts to you in the "voice" of these characters.

One last thing, I like hearing this from the English perspective, but your cousins could use an explanation of some of your acronyms. BBC we get, but to a yank, TA could just as easily be Teaching Assistant as Territorial Army.

Keep up the good work. This has been a fun read so far.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by nateted4 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:06 am

Bump for MOAR. I hope we get some good woman's perspective eventually, it seems as if the sickness took 'em all.
Raptor wrote:Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.
Kommander wrote:So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

skarface
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by skarface » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:33 am

Agreed. More, please!
TheLastRifleMan wrote:Thank you and thank you, blessed work van! Nothing but premium fuel for you, damn what the boss says! And a wash once a week!
Mysty wrote:I do pity sissy as she has been out there a long time with that gaping hole in her leg, but until 'chocolate' tastes good again, I think Sissy's gonna be waiting a bit lol.

skarface
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by skarface » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:21 am

Moar, plaease?
TheLastRifleMan wrote:Thank you and thank you, blessed work van! Nothing but premium fuel for you, damn what the boss says! And a wash once a week!
Mysty wrote:I do pity sissy as she has been out there a long time with that gaping hole in her leg, but until 'chocolate' tastes good again, I think Sissy's gonna be waiting a bit lol.

mheimdallson

Post by mheimdallson » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:25 am

Moar!

I love the story to date, and very much enjoy the writing style.

Please keep up this excellent story!

-Mike

Return to “Fiction”