It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:05 pm 

:lol:

I searched for a little bit to find that one, too. Glad I could accomodate you!

Doc

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:04 am 

After a five and a half month vacation paid for by the U.S. Army I am glad I came back to a finished story. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:29 pm 

Just finished it up this morning. Great stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:09 pm 

Wow just wow. Been reading this for about a week now inbetween work and sleep lol. Wow that is great. Where is the hannah and cole story at? Have you gotten anything publised yet? If so whats your author name? Or what will it be?

Goddess bless you

Goddess bless America

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:34 pm 
BANNED

:D MY NAMES OWEN!

On a more serious note, Awesome story, Doc. You rock! *High five*

I guess I'm just a lucky guy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:45 am 

Thanks for keeping these going. In my sig line you'll find the links to my stories, in order.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:04 pm 

Great stories doc, I really hope this gets published I will buy the book for sure..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:30 am 

Location: Leaning on an acacia, deliciously shaded, with the occasional sunbeam streaking through leaves.
Nice ending. Didn't want the story to end on those two just yet, and I hope to find out more about their virus strain in the next chapters. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:04 am 

Bump, because after reading your Hannah repost and being half way thru with Owen, I hope others see it and enjoy it as well.

This is pre-whacky cranky grandpa Clint Eastwood, "man-with-no-name" awesome! :rofl:

I <3 ZS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:06 pm 

mr_slappy75 wrote:
Bump, because after reading your Hannah repost and being half way thru with Owen, I hope others see it and enjoy it as well.

This is pre-whacky cranky grandpa Clint Eastwood, "man-with-no-name" awesome! :rofl:

Nice!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:04 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Again, nice job, Doc!

The worst part about all these stories is that they end. I'm off to throw some more 'Cole' on the fire.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:26 pm 

Thanks! I like the pun. :D :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:22 pm 

As I sit here reading your story, neglecting the report cards I should be writing, drinking a beer and enjoying the warmth of woodstove fire I am content. Yep, I have hours of work a head of me, but I am resting and digesting the wonderful Saint Patrick's day meal of corned beef, spuds, carrots and cabbage. Life is good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:13 am 

Trident wrote:
As I sit here reading your story, neglecting the report cards I should be writing, drinking a beer and enjoying the warmth of woodstove fire I am content. Yep, I have hours of work a head of me, but I am resting and digesting the wonderful Saint Patrick's day meal of corned beef, spuds, carrots and cabbage. Life is good.

It's GOOD!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:35 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

That little bit from the 13th Warrior is actually based on a true historical incident where a slave girl was heaved up several times just like the one in the movie but her words were:

Behold there do I see my father and mother
There do I see my whole family from the beginning
Behold there do I see my Master in Paradise drinking mead
Paradise is green and he bids me join him there.

Afterwards she was made drunk, ritually raped by the dead chief's hearthweru, and given over to an old woman called The Angel of Death who strangled her before shoving a knife in her heart. You don't even want to know about the rites for Odin and Frey at Upsala.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:29 am 

Quartermaster wrote:
That little bit from the 13th Warrior is actually based on a true historical incident where a slave girl was heaved up several times just like the one in the movie but her words were:

Afterwards she was made drunk, ritually raped by the dead chief's hearthweru, and given over to an old woman called The Angel of Death who strangled her before shoving a knife in her heart. You don't even want to know about the rites for Odin and Frey at Upsala.

Yes I Know, It was almost directly recounted from the diary of Abu...something who lived and traveled with the Norse for a time. Much of the character of Antonio Banderas was based on that historical figure. Michael Crichton wrote the 13th Warrior as a challenge to make Beowulf more interesting for the modern reader. He also worked to make Banderas true to the traditional Islamic sense of moral code and the movie portrayed it pretty well.

I used it here to show how fiction based on fact gets twisted and reused because people think that it's "cool," and develop their own religious and worship ceremonies to fit the needs of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:29 am 

Quartermaster wrote:

Yes, I Know, It was almost directly recounted from the diary of Abu...something, who lived and traveled with the Norse for a time. Much of the character of Antonio Banderas was based on that historical figure. Michael Crichton wrote the 13th Warrior as a challenge to make Beowulf more interesting for the modern reader. He also worked to make Banderas true to the traditional Islamic sense of moral code and the movie portrayed it pretty well.

I used it here to show how fiction based on fact gets twisted and reused because people think that it's "cool," and develop their own religious and worship ceremonies to fit the needs of the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:41 pm 

Another well written story. Something for writers to consider, there are estimated to over 100 million firearms in civilian hands in the US, also the US army is sitting on billions of rounds of ammo, enough to kill every zombie 3 or 4 times over. Look at ways to mass kill the zombies, like using automatic grenade launchers. Just a few ideas you might like to consider. Any ex military survivor would know ho to access the armies inventory. Keep up the good work Doc.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:24 pm 

jackorchuck wrote:
Another well written story. Something for writers to consider, there are estimated to over 100 million firearms in civilian hands in the US, also the US army is sitting on billions of rounds of ammo, enough to kill every zombie 3 or 4 times over. Look at ways to mass kill the zombies, like using automatic grenade launchers. Just a few ideas you might like to consider. Any ex military survivor would know ho to access the armies inventory. Keep up the good work Doc.

You would be surprised. I could get you to the armory and we might be able to get into it with a large truck and some chains but I have no idea what the codes are to get in. Also there is a very limited supply of ammo kept in the Armory. Like less than 500 rounds total in ours. The Ammo is kept at ammuntion supply points (ASPs) But I don't know enough about them to know how to get into them to get all the ammoy goodness inside.

Getting to the bunkers/magazines is easy but getting into them would take some serious effort as far as I can tell. They are usually buried under a mound of dirt with concrete walls and heavy blast doors.

Hell you'd be surprised that a majority of the military can't operate anything past a AR type rifle. We had some guys in our unit that were in Afghanistan when that big attack took place on the big airbase. Blew up a bunch of Harriers and killed a few Marines. One of them said that when they went into the armory to arm up that the only things that that had been touched in there were the M16s and M4s because no one on the ground knew how to work the 50 cals or M240s. All the guys who were trained on them were the aircrews and they were getting their birds up in the air.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:35 pm 

I knew before hand that most bases were just jump points (as is the case with Mansfield) and kept very little on hand. I changed the logistics for the story line, making Mansfield a place where supplies were staged for the next part of the journey; thus the ease in which the supplies were obtained. (As an aside, I have another EOTWAWKI story where a bunker is raided, and it took much more to get into it!) I also knew that most troops know very little about how things work, your everyday gun nut is probably better versed in the ways of weapons than the average military personal. Kyle was/is an exception to the rule, which is why he was developed, with the help of someone in that grade/classification.

As for the ammo situation, I think these last few years have been an indication of how the ammo supply works; you have what you started out with, and very little beyond that. We can talk about raiding all we want, but you have to raid the right places before someone else, plus know where they are. We all talk about the millions of rounds of ammo out there, but where exactly is "out there?" Police departments, military armories, federal buildings, all become the first places people look. After that, it's the luck of the draw. Searching house to house and building to building takes time and energy and a shit ton of people to do it effectively--like with Emma and the Highlanders--and they stay at a place for weeks before moving on. The raid on Mansfield was accomplished because Kyle had already been there and knew the layout, otherwise it would have been a totally different--and boring--story!

Either way, thanks for the read.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:12 pm 

doc66 wrote:
(As an aside, I have another EOTWAWKI story where a bunker is raided, and it took much more to get into it!)

Is that the one you posted on another site about a scavenger team, hellstorms, crystals to see the irradiated areas and mutant bikers?

'Cuz it was awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:42 pm 

complex57 wrote:
doc66 wrote:
(As an aside, I have another EOTWAWKI story where a bunker is raided, and it took much more to get into it!)

Is that the one you posted on another site about a scavenger team, hellstorms, crystals to see the irradiated areas and mutant bikers?

'Cuz it was awesome.

That was the one!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:39 pm 

:clap: Bumping cause I just reread this great story AGAIN...
Never gets old... lol :words:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:35 pm 

If anyone is interested, here's the beginning of where Emma happens....

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=10603

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11