Diary of the Undead

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

seandeville
Favorite Zombie Movies: It's not been made yet ;)

Diary of the Undead

Post by seandeville » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:00 am

Day 1
My name is Stephen Mulligan, and I’m not sure how long I’m going to live.
I want to tell you what happened, how this all came about. But I only know some of it. I don’t even know what the point of me writing this is, because who the hell is there left to read it? There are only three of us now, and we haven’t seen anyone new in days. Maybe once we get out of here we will find more people, but I’m not too hopeful.

Gary, my mate, thinks the same way as me. If it wasn’t for Claire, we probably would have given up. Claire is Gary’s Girlfriend, and her passion for life is almost as infective as the virus that turned everyone I know into blood crazed maniacs. To be honest, writing this was Claire’s idea, and I’m not sure my heart is in it. She says it’s important. I think she could detect the utter hopelessness I now saw in everything.

Claire says it’s vital to have a record of what happened. Maybe she can see the way I keep eyeing the shotgun.

So where did it all start? That’s where stories are supposed to start right? At the beginning.

I was in the supermarket when I heard the news. Considering how little food I had in the house I was pretty lucky when you think about it. I was walking towards the checkout aisle when everyone around me started to get agitated. You could almost taste it on the air. That was when Gary rang me, said to check the news, said things were going to shit. Social Media had been on fire about the Riots in London all morning, but then some soldier with ribbons all over his chest went live on the BBC and told us all that the country was under attack by a bio weapon.

I think for a brief moment the whole country went insane.

It took me a few minutes to get my head around it, and by that time the number of people coming into the store had risen markedly. I looked down at my shopping cart, and just turned right around and headed straight for the canned goods section. I don’t think I’ve ever spent so much on food in one go. When I had emptied out the trolley into my car, panic overtook me and I went right back in and did it again. The store was already full by then, scuffles breaking out between people. I filled the cart to the top again, this time with bottled water and alcohol. Most people, the ones who weren’t now fighting with each other over a loaf of fucking bread, were glued to their phones, the news getting ever more horrific by the minute. I thought my credit card was going to melt with the amount that second trolley came to. By the time I was filling up my car, there was fighting right out in the open. And the police, they were nowhere to be seen.

I got home without much difficulty, because most of the traffic seemed to be coming the other way. It still hadn’t sunk in, the shock yet to unravel my soon to be resigned mind. It took me several trips to drag all my shopping from the underground car park up to my flat. I ended up leaving about half of it (including most of the water and alcohol) in the boot….thank God I did that. Thank God for my laziness.

Turning on the TV, I quickly learnt that the Prime Minister and most of the Cabinet were dead. My hands shaking as I write this remembering what happened. I’m too tired to write anymore.

Shall I continue? :words:
Horror has a new face - www.seandeville.com

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Re: Diary of the Undead

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Bring it on!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:56 am

Posting here because I don’t want to come across as a fan boy and start a thread on a story that’s only referenced in your signature block. Just started the first book of your trilogy last night and all I can say is: Wow!

Just wow!

There’s entertaining stories or good reads, and then there’s writing that can only be called literature. Your book (so far) definitely falls under the later category...is there such a thing as Zombie “literature” anyway? I started just after midnight thinking it would be a good way to wind down, but instead read until almost 4 AM and only stopped because I was literally dropping my Kindle as I nodded off.

And the first thing I thought of when I woke up just a couple of hours later was the story.

There are very few books/authors who have captured my interest in this way over a lifetime of reading. Thanks for the mental journey that you’re taking me on, and thanks for posting here because I may not have found your books otherwise.

I’ll write a proper review on Amazon when I finish, but for now will say that you write exceptionally well...the only two typos I saw were errors spell check wouldn’t catch: Ouma vs. Puma helicopter (capitalization/proper name) and the letter “I” instead of a word (“if”maybe?) somewhere in the first 30% or so of the first book. So nice to see words used properly, and at time cleverly, to draw the attentive reader in. Your writing is refreshingly free of the common grammar mistakes I usually find in ebooks too; one grows tired of the whole “There, Their, They’re” type errors .

While the writing at times takes on an almost George R. R. Martin-like feel with almost overly descriptive settings, I believe this is exactly what drew me into this story so quickly. For most, a paragraph on the weather and textures of a parkbench in a graveyard might be a lot (most would just write “He sat on a bench”), it’s that level of detail that makes me feel like I’m in the story...or actually there watching events unfold. That it’s well written is the difference...your masterul use of language keeps it from becoming tedious. Thanks for that.

Finally, thanks for bringing your characters to life...even the ones who die! I truly believe this is the real difference between a good writer and a great writer. Your ability to make the reader empathize with the character is a rare talent indeed. I will say that I hope many of the characters are simply the result of your ability to empathize with them, and in turn bring us over to see the world through their eyes. Some of their stories are very dark and I hope that’s not born of personal experience...maybe it’s because a few of the military back stories hit a little too close to home, but I already feel as if your primary character (too early in the book to tell if he’s your protagonist) is almost someone I personally know in real life. Great, great work on character development...

There are only a small handful of authors who can suck me in to a story like this one has done...a couple right here on ZS...and in the span of a couple short stories posted here, and part of one book, you have me completely drawn in.

Guess I know what I’ll be doing all weekend! At leat I have an entire trilogy to binge read before screaming for moar!

Thanks for putting this story out there...really looking forward to the ride!
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

seandeville

Post by seandeville » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:24 pm

Day 2

It’s been two weeks since the outbreak started. There is no running water and all the electricity is out. We are in Gary’s Mum’s house. She’s in Ireland visiting friends, but we haven’t heard from her in over a week. We don’t know if Ireland escaped the infection or not.

The house is relatively secluded on the outskirts of the city. The nearest neighbour is five minutes’ walk away through the woods. Basically if you don’t know it’s here you’re unlikely to come looking for it. That’s basically why we are here.

We had to kill all the chickens. They were too noisy.

But I’m supposed to be talking about what happened to me up to now. I didn’t come here straight away, instead from the supermarket I went back to my own flat. Sitting there watching the TV seemed like all I could do. Sheffield had been calm that night, a think the shock might have been contagious, dulling the senses as everyone waited to see what was going to happen. Perhaps most of the people watching the news still didn’t really believe it. I certainly didn’t!

I didn’t really have any relatives I was bothered about, both my parents died years ago and I didn’t have any siblings. So I just let the reality of it all sink in.
It was the next morning that I knew I couldn’t stay where I was. From my bedroom window, I could see the main street that led into town. I woke up to the sound of rioters charging towards the city centre. I guessed it was primal panic mainly, but there would be a certain amount of greed there too.
Only they weren’t rioters. It didn’t take me long to realise that.

They were infected

I didn’t see any police that morning. I guessed they were told more than we were on the news. Suppose I can’t blame them really, wanting to spend the last of their time with their families. I stood at my window and watched the infected for about ten minutes, amazed with how many of them there were. There must have been thousands. When the last of them was out of sight, I retreated from the window numbed by the reality of it all.

Half the TV channels weren’t broadcasting, so I ended up watching CNN, and they kept playing the same clips over and over. The one taken by the cyclist near St Pancras train station seemed to be their favourite. They seemed fascinated by the bit where the young girl was hurled out onto the street through a window, only for her to leap to her feet and attack the nearest person.
And when I wanted more news, I went on YouTube. Facebook and Twitter were both down, probably because London, Manchester, Glasgow, Leeds and Birmingham were already lost. I’d already given up on the BBC, they were less than useless.

“Store food and water, stay in your homes, listen to law enforcement.” A lot of help they were....

I had to stop there for a moment…I think I might have had a panic attack. My hands are still shaking and I’m crying whilst writing this.

Shit

It was that morning I saw my city die. I thought the presence of the infected was bad enough, but then the streets started to explode. I don’t know who it was, maybe it was the Americans, perhaps out own planes. But with my house being on one of Sheffield’s 7 hills, I could see out across most of it, and the landscape I had known since my birth was obliterated in minutes, the sound of the bombs rocking me to my core. I was lucky the windows didn’t shatter from the force of the blasts
The bombing had lasted about forty minutes, and the fires in the city centre were still burning hours later. I was safe where I was, for the moment. But I was about to learn how fragile that feeling was.

I didn’t think I would be able to get any sleep that night, but I must have been more exhausted than I thought. Claire said it was the trauma catching up with me. I guess she knows about these sort of things, what with her being a doctor and all.

Nancy1340

Post by Nancy1340 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Excellent! Thanks for a new story,

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks!

Work sidelined much of my spare time recently but now 1/2way through book 2. Many more typos...but I’m sure they’ll get caught in an edit.

I wasn’t expecting the plot to develop as it has. Still very entertaining but it feels more like Stirling’s Emberverse series than where I thought this was going. I was expecting (hoping?) that the raging infected was going to be it...not much suspension of disbelief, which tends to really draw me in. Then came zombies...and other things! Again, like the Emberverse series where “Dies the Fire” was a really cool read, then got a little weird, but then got awesome a few books later when you just roll with it!

Won’t spoil it for others who haven’t gotten to book two yet... Still enjoying the great story.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Yeeeeessssssss! MOAR! I honestly like the feel of the story because in England. Always read it from the point of view from us Yanks, big wide open country. The feeling already is much more isolated.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

seandeville

Post by seandeville » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Day 3

Only the foreign channels were playing on TV. I’d woken up on the sofa to a screen full of static. Turning the channel, I learnt that NATO had quarantined the entire country.
That kind of put it all into perspective.

I don’t know why, but something about how the morning felt made me keep the TV volume way down, and I was glad I did. At around ten thirty, the street outside erupted as the clawing mass of the infected started to attack every door and window. Turning the TV off, I carefully I looked out of my kitchen window on the third floor and saw about a hundred of them. They were all damaged, and they moved like animals. They were fast and seemed to work together.

Across the street they broke down a front door and pulled out a Mother and her three kids. They were all less than 10 years by the look of them, and I could hear their cries over the din of the horde. The mother they barely touched, just held her whilst the kids were ripped to pieces.

So it was true, the infected did eat human flesh. I very nearly lost my lunch.

But I learnt something. After a while the infected released the mother, and she just lay on the ground wailing. But that soon stopped. Seven or so minutes after ripping her from her home, the mother wasn’t a mother anymore. She was one of them.

As morbid as it was, I was fascinated with what was happening. Where were the fucking army? Where were the police?
Downstairs I heard them attacking the main door to my block of apartments, and that was when the neighbour below started to scream. She must have panicked, but the noise she made seemed to embolden the infected, more joining the half dozen I could see from my window. It only took them ten minutes to get through that door.
I don’t know why or how I made it. I could hear them breaking in next door and in the apartment below. I heard a window smash close by. They were everywhere. But for some reason nobody attacked my door. Maybe it was because I’m at the end of the corridor. Maybe it was just blind luck. But an hour later the only sounds were my own whimpering as I sat in the bath uselessly with a kitchen knife grasped in my white knuckle hands. What the hell could I have hoped to do with that.

I think I lost it a bit there. I don’t remember much else.

seandeville

Post by seandeville » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Day 4

I woke up to my own stink. Everything was quiet, but I could sense something in the air. For some reason I was in the bath.

I could have really done with a shower, but I just had this image of a zombie hoard breaking into my bathroom whilst I was trying to clean my balls. I gave the shower a miss, but I was relieved to see that the electricity was till on.

There was no signal on my mobile though. Gary must have sent me a text before the cell towers went down though, because there was a message from him.

“if you can, get to my mum’s house.”

I’d only been there twice, and it was a twenty-minute drive at least, although that was in normal traffic. I wasn’t sure I would have to deal with traffic lights and learner drivers in the new world. Speeding might also not be an issue. But could I risk it? Could I risk the relative, proven safety of my flat to take a car ride, especially in my car. It was old and unreliable, and often needed a good kick to get it going. Plus, I’d have to load the car back up with all the food I’d bought from the supermarket.

Being Britain I didn’t even have a gun.

So I didn’t leave that day. Instead I sat and watched CNN, which was the only channel still playing. I will admit that my satellite dish wasn’t exactly legitimate. It was a bit of a hack job that I didn’t have to pay for. Gary again. He was useful for that sort of thing.

I think I eat three cans of SPAM on the trot. Really, I didn’t want to move. Instead I just lay there on the couch watching the madness be reported to me by Americans with fantastic hair.
At about 8PM the lights went out. Total blackness. So that was it, no more TV. Which is how I missed the world falling apart the next day.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:11 pm

Great couple of updates! I'll start the MOAR corps...... MMMMOOOOOAAARR
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:51 pm

Finally finished book 3 last night... glad I stuck with it after I almost lost interest towards the end of book 2, and into book 3. It was getting to be too much with all the crazy “developments” of the infected...and the ease of transmittal. But the ending...wow!

Nice twist and what a great surprise to have it all make sense in the end.

Also the typos, and weird disjointed dialogue that started popping up in book 2 were obviously cleaned up throughout book 3. I assume there were/are ongoing revisions.

Keep it up...this is good stuff. Would love to see a bit more development of the series now that I “know” what’s going on!

Return to “Fiction”