Tales of the Clan Guardian - redacted

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TacAir

Tales of the Clan Guardian - redacted

Post by TacAir » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:14 pm

redacted - the story has gone to another site

There I can post the art that goes with the story at no cost.

Thanks for the views.
Last edited by TacAir on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Re: Let's play - Tales of the Clan Guardian

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:35 pm

Sounds like fun! My 12-year-old daughter and her friends are currently into Warrior Cats big time, and this has a similar "feel" to me. I'll have to run this by her for an expert opinion though!

Now, about this artwork... My little princess is quite the artist herself (I may have a slightly biased opinion!) and would love to run those ideas by her as well.

Minor edit: Bo staff... unless it's an unstrung bow being used as a staff?

Actual edit: She just read it and gave it a thumb's up...now you have to continue!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:19 am

Got to have some co-players on this one.

Yes, a bow staff. This one is special....
Last edited by TacAir on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:36 am

Last edited by TacAir on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:12 am

Good start!

Has the possibility of becoming an interesting tale.

Bob
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:10 am

Can we assume the Humans have advanced technology (space/wormholes/star gates/etc) vs the natives being stuck in the Middle Ages?

Do the natives have magic or some other homegrown tech?
Boldly going nowhere

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:27 am

Last edited by TacAir on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:03 pm

Not just coffee, but caffeine. One form or the other will grow in most climates. This can be a black marketeers dream. Higher values for coffee or tea or chicory or holly or cocoa based per race, perhaps.
Boldly going nowhere

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Zimmy wrote:Not just coffee, but caffeine. One form or the other will grow in most climates. This can be a black marketeers dream. Higher values for coffee or tea or chicory or holly or cocoa based per race, perhaps.
Excellent idea, caffeine is easy to distill, high value, low volume.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:11 am

Last edited by TacAir on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:48 pm

I'm working on an addition related to the Orcs. Feel free to move forward with any other facet.

For what it's worth, the Orcs call harvesters by the name of honyaks.

And the Orcs are developing a Hero......
Boldly going nowhere

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:28 pm

Zimmy wrote:I'm working on an addition related to the Orcs. Feel free to move forward with any other facet.

For what it's worth, the Orcs call harvesters by the name of honyaks.

And the Orcs are developing a Hero......
Lov'n it. Lay it out.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:14 pm

How old is your granddaughter, btw?
Boldly going nowhere

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Zimmy wrote:How old is your granddaughter, btw?
check your PMs

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:05 pm

Last edited by TacAir on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Orcs are in the early Iron Age of technology.

They are excellent hunters and gatherers using the barter system to get what Orcs need but won't/can't make for themselves.

There is no animal husbandry. Orcs will eat anything but bunnies and flutterbies. This is not due to toxicity but the propensity to swarm.

Orcs live in groups that the local environment will support. They prefer mountains to flatland, forests to scrub, and have no use for Great Plains or trackless oceans. Orcs choose caves over communal long houses, and long houses over individual huts or cabins. A group is governed by mob rule with a shaman to the Great Serpent having some influence over the mob but it's not absolute reign.

Basically the Orcs most folks envisioned, but not as warlike due to elfin oppression after the great war that was lost generations ago.
Boldly going nowhere

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:57 pm

Last edited by TacAir on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:32 pm

Dlabaj hammered and brooded. His oldest pup Krajca had come home bleating to his mother about some Guardian attacking him on the roadway. His head had a long raised knot running across the top like the blood filled wattles on a gorged flutterby.

“Kittingchak flutterbies.” Dlabaj grumbled. He hated the damned things. They harassed him while gathering the ores and plants for his forge. Dlabaj had swatted a great many of the winged devils down with his shovel over the years. Dlabaj had killed many of the kuttingchak bunnies over the years. They usually were drawn to the flock of pissed off flutterbies that would occasionally swarm around him. No matter. A good whack with his forge hammer did them in. Sometimes two, he supposed. “Kuttingchak bunnies”, he growled.

Clan law was to leave the beasts to lay where they die or face the wrath of the Great Serpent. At least that’s what the fat assed Orc in the Temple said. Dlabaj didn’t believe that mess. The Great Serpent had been silent much longer than the Bunnies and Flutterbies had been around. The Temple also said you were never to seek trouble with the little monsters either or risk a swarm. Dlabaj knew he could get in big trouble for what he did. Ol’ Fat Ass in the Temple could really rile up the kiss-asses in the little village and Dlabaj knew he couldn’t just hit them all in the head. The soft kittingchaks did a little around here although never real work like in the heat of the forge.

Was Dlabaj to run like a young pup to his mother’s skirts? “Bah”, he grumbled again. Sometimes his fat ugly wife (she could eat faster than a honjak could gather it) would make him so angry by wasting time with the little ones teaching them things not related to work he would just walk the woods looking for things to kill, flutterbies and bunnies included.

He burned the little monsters in the forge. The meat of both was a little gamey and bitter like the host’s dispositions. Not sweet like an elf’s was said to be in the old songs.

Some new words. Honyaks are harvesters, Kittingchak is a negative descriptor, Kuttingchak is worse. You can fill in your own synonyms.
Boldly going nowhere

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:51 pm

Zimmy wrote: Dlabaj hammered and brooded.

(SNP)

Some new words. Honyaks are harvesters, Kittingchak is a negative descriptor, Kuttingchak is worse. You can fill in your own synonyms.

Looks like Zimmy owns an Orc. I'll be putting up stuff on the Sisters, I see a scouting mission ahead. Multiple 'gifts' will be used, and a plot will develop....

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:59 pm

TacAir wrote:
Zimmy wrote: Dlabaj hammered and brooded.

(SNP)

Looks like Zimmy owns an Orc. I'll be putting up stuff on the Sisters, I see a scouting mission ahead. Multiple 'gifts' will be used, and a plot will develop....

I've loaded my Orc's forge with all kinds of extra elements. Let's see what a 50 stone frustrated blacksmith can hammer out.
Boldly going nowhere

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Last edited by TacAir on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Tales of the Clan Guardian new content 7/28

Post by Zimmy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:28 pm

Dlabaj leaned against a tree and inhaled slowly and deeply. He was using his powerful pig snout of a nose to try to catch wind of a certain fungus that grew around the roots of these kind of trees. He had travelled far into the forest today and was hungry.

He heard small noises behind the tree. The step-hop movement sound of a bunny. That he could clearly tell. And it was right behind the tree and sounded to be coming around any minute. Dlabaj smiled toothily at the idea of both bunny and fungus for his mid-day meal.

He slowly leaned around the tree with his forge hammer held high and ready to swat the little kuttingchak into the forest loam. To his shock there was an ELF standing there looking nearly as surprised as he was. Dlabaj was frozen by shock and (embarrassingly) a little fear of the ancient Orc nemesis.

This paralysis was short lived. Fast as a blur the evil creature pulled a long thin blade and stabbed Dlabaj right in the meat of his thumb causing him to drop the hammer. Then three ineffective swipes at Dlabaj’s fire and sweat hardened leather jerkin put Dlabaj into action. He reached out and palmed the elf’s head and smashed it against the tree as hard as he could. He knew he felt something give way in there but Dlabaj grabbed a foot and thrashed the elf against the numerous rocks and boulders pushing up through the forest floor like an Orc maiden doing laundry down at the creek. He didn’t stop and calm down until a hand and bit of arm flew off the elf.

It was a wonderful lunch after all. It turned out elves were as sweet and delicious as the Old Songs said they were.
Boldly going nowhere

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi Tac. It has been a long time since I posted here. Hope you are well.

This genre is right up my alley, and I had some thoughts after the first post, so bear with me if you guys have covered this afterwards.

Humans got there on a one way trip from the destruction of Earth. The tech to get there barely existed, but the human race had no choice. Earth is gone. Humans brought a database of technology, a seed vault and all the tools needed to create a new world. The projectile weapons brought along by the humans were all used in the original orc war and the planet does not have enough iron to mass produce additional weaponry. Most iron products are guarded by the very wealthy among the elves, whereas the planet has an overabundance of gold, so it is considered worthless by the elite. Copper and silver are the rare currency metals and the primary working metal is bronze. There is no oil at this point, no combustion engines and no plastic. There are plant based oils, and some human scientists are working on diesel engines to replace orc power as the main labor source.

The guardians are offspring of the first humans to come out of stasis from that trip. The light waves from the white sun of this planet mutated these first humans awake due to proximity, but the ones still in stasis were protected. Only guardians can beget guardians and while "half-breeds" can be born with guardian powers, true breeding is the only way to ensure it, so female guardians are typically overly protected and expected to have offspring with multiple partners to ensure true breeding (and has created in-breeding). The guardians are all born with a form of cancer that is staved off by a cancer negating plant that has brewed by the elves as ceremonial tea for centuries. Without the plant, guardians only live until age 15 at most, with the majority perishing before the age of 10. This plant can be used to cure the cancer, but the leaders of the guardians does not allow this research.

The caffeine based drug is a combination of a native plant and human brought sugar. This drug allows orcs to gain intelligence and speed almost equal to elves, but once the orcs are sentient enough to understand what the drug does, their lifespan is gone and they have hours left to live. The orcs trade the cancer fighting plant for the drug. Sugarcane does not grow on this planet except under extreme care, so is very rare. The sugar itself is an aphrodisiac for elves and very addictive. Humans only trade iron for sugar. Period.

The guardians are put through a rigorous upbringing that is a combination of Sparta/Navy Seal learning various forms of Earth based martial arts. The prize for being the best and brightest is a stronger tea that allows the young guardian to get even stronger versus their peers. Our heroine, as the 7th of the 7th, was born with no cancer, and was by far the best student in her class, but she is scheduled to be sequestered at her next birthday to have children and only protect the guardian compound. Sex among guardians is performed with unknown partners controlled by the inner council to prevent as much inbreeding as possible.

As you write, i will try to follow along.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:34 pm

Ok, I read to current. I think you will have difficulties balancing the medieval world you started with the tech world you just created. Very difficult to balance melee weaponry with advanced tech like space travel. Star Wars is the only one to pull it off well that I can remember.

You also will have to explain to your granddaughter why you went sci-fi with her fairy tale. :D
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Return to “Fiction”