Alternate fuels

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ericjay9

Alternate fuels

Post by Ericjay9 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:44 pm

In my post apocalyptic book the world is in a freeze for years. 20 years since the beginning of the cold and about a solid 5 since the freeze set in. I know gasoline goes stale after about 2 to 3 years, so what alternate fuels could be used, mind you it's a frozen wasteland. But I do have certain underground communities making methane from manure and compost.
Any other ideas or is the idea of having a working truck just not possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Alternate fuels

Post by DannusMaximus » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:17 pm

I can't think of a reason you couldn't still use wood as a stock to make fuel gas, or use it on it's own as a fuel for wood fired steam engines. If a tree has been frozen dead for a decade, then it is probably dry as a bone and in relatively good shape as far as rot (wood decomposition wouldn't occur if everything was completely frozen, I wouldn't think).

I can go out to my woodpile in the dead of winter, bang a few pieces of firewood together to knock off the ice and snow, and they light right up when tossed in the woodburner.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

TheWarriorMax
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheWarriorMax » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:24 pm

IIRC, early crude Diesel engines were designed to run on peanut or coconut oil.
"And how can a man die better,
than facing fearful odds,
for the ashes of his fathers,
and the temples of his gods".

Buy "The Kingdom of Saudi Australia" on kindle:

https://tinyurl.com/y9jhv6y4

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:05 pm

Kerosene, Fuel oil, Diesel, all stockpile for a looooooong time without going bad. So does natural gas or propane, along with a host of other flammable gases and liquids. Really, almost ANYTHING could be used as a fuel, provided you have the means to get it ignited, and up to a stable combustion temperature.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Return to “Fiction”