The Lottery -- new material 7/14/17 Rewrite of prior segmnt

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

vthunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: original "Night of the Living Dead"
Resident Evil series
Zombieland

Re: The Lottery -- New post up. 6/30

Post by vthunter » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:34 am

Really, really liking this one, TacAir!!

As said previously, appreciating the "grittiness" on this one. :clap: :clap:

Thank you for the time & effort you've invested in the stories you post here for us.... I, too often, don't get back on ZS in time to pick up & try to keep up with your rotating additions/deletions, unfortunately, so I tend to miss an installment, or the whole beginning of a new storyline from you, but I have sworn to myself to stay current on this one...........

I hope you have a LOT more coming on this one....

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:48 pm

vthunter wrote:Really, really liking this one, TacAir!!

As said previously, appreciating the "grittiness" on this one. :clap: :clap:

Thank you for the time & effort you've invested in the stories you post here for us.... I, too often, don't get back on ZS in time to pick up & try to keep up with your rotating additions/deletions, unfortunately, so I tend to miss an installment, or the whole beginning of a new storyline from you, but I have sworn to myself to stay current on this one...........

I hope you have a LOT more coming on this one....
Thanks for the kind words.

You can, for the most part, still get these stories by (koff, koff) buying the book....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

vthunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: original "Night of the Living Dead"
Resident Evil series
Zombieland

Post by vthunter » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:17 am

:lol: :lol: Oh, Mr. "Richardson", I have, sir, and I will continue to do so... :mrgreen: {kindle on a PC is my friend}

I truly meant to convey that I was lucky enough to catch this one at the beginning, and that you've captured a readership so much in this tale, that I will endeavor to keep up without fail this time (...I hope :wink: ).

I noted your original intention of a shared-story, but your imagination in spinning a tale captivates so many here, as a lot of comments have indicated, that we're absolutely enjoying the hell out of it in that manner!! Carry on, sir!

Thanks again. I appreciate the time it must surely take to put together this level of quality story-telling!!

:clap:

Happy 4th of July and thank you for your prior service!!
Last edited by vthunter on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:07 pm

vthunter wrote::lol: :lol: Oh, Mr. "Richardson", I have, sir, and I will continue to do so... :mrgreen: {kindle on a PC is my friend}

I truly meant to convey that I was lucky enough to catch this one at the beginning, and that you've captured a readership so much in this tale, that I will endeavor to keep up without fail this time (...I hope :wink: ).

I noted your original intention of a shared-story, but your imagination in spinning a tale captivates so many here, as a lot of comments have indicated, that we're absolutely enjoying the hell out of it in that manner!! Carry on, sir!

Thanks again. I appreciate the time it must surely take to put together this level of quality story-telling!!

:clap:
LOL, thanks again.

This is mostly the stuff that leaks out from all the voices in my head. There is a lot more rattling around in there. That's why this time I'm doing the story in disjointed segments for the most part. Like a couple of buds sitting around drinking some barley pops and telling war stories.

People ask what I do for a living, I tell them I'm a writer. A regular paying gig. But... It also allows me to live in a fantasy world of my own creation for a couple of days a week. Better than Disneyland!

Thanks for reading along.

DKR/dkr

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:39 am

Last edited by TacAir on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airdrop

Re: The Lottery -- MOAR up. 7/11

Post by airdrop » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:25 am

great update ,thanks again

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:05 am

I'm willing to bet not many of the guys who live long enough go for re-enlistment....

Great story TAC, as is the norm with your work.
Boldly going nowhere

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:47 am

Love the update.

Always need MOAR!

Bob
III
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Spazzy

Post by Spazzy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:48 am

See it's stories like this that remind me exactly why NAVY stands for Never Again Volunteer Yourself...

:mrgreen:
Overheard at my USN retirement ceremony....
"So he's not a team player then?"
"You mean Spazz...? Hes not even a fan of the team."

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:35 am

Zimmy wrote:I'm willing to bet not many of the guys who live long enough go for re-enlistment....

Great story TAC, as is the norm with your work.

This is a future world. A possible future world.

If you aren't a vet, you won't have an idea just how much the Big Army has changed in the last decade. Just as the conflict in Vietnam left a mark, so has the current mess in Southwest Asia. Just as PMC were a major part of deployed forces, in the future, it may just be the 'point of the spear' that's in 'the Army' with the rest (logistics and support) contracted out. That transition is happening now.

Imagine a future -
Corporation(s) taking over even more of the economy. Displaced workers either work for what is offered or starve. No safety nets in this future, and nobody could live on Basic Welfare.

Politicians and Bureaucrats are even more willing to sell out to these same Corparations (hard to believe, I know, but this is fiction)

Schools in the future are both too dangerous and expensive, so what little "public" education might be available is on-line. There are a ton of on-line schools today.

Now - add in an out of control military - industrial complex feeding off the fears of (something horrible, say, a plague sweeping across Africa) to keep the contracts coming and the credits flowing.

Not a place I'd want to live, but Roscoe has no choice. So, we see what he can do to survive...and maybe, do a bit more.

Before you say - this could never happen.... My own father is still alive. He was born in the 20s. He can't believe the world he sees every day.....

Remember, the pace of change accelerates with the advent of new technology.

Scary, eh?

Spazzy

Post by Spazzy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:46 am

So kindof a rolled together Depression Era / WW2 / Korea-Vietnam / Running Man type synopsis?

I think I could live there... :wink:
Overheard at my USN retirement ceremony....
"So he's not a team player then?"
"You mean Spazz...? Hes not even a fan of the team."

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:21 pm

Spazzy wrote:So kindof a rolled together Depression Era / WW2 / Korea-Vietnam / Running Man type synopsis?

I think I could live there... :wink:
Mike Hammer (the real, Mickey Spillane Hammer) meets Bladerunner?

It's not an impossible place to live, but as Roscoe says - times are hard, all over....
If you're rich, connected or the like, quite a nice place, I'm sure. If you are, on the other hand, none of the above....

The movie Banlieue 13 (District 13) by Luc Besson comes to mind.

BTW some things that haven't shown up yet -
dumpsters are locked, so no picking. Popular saying, Feed the Rats, you just get more Rats.

a LOT of crimes now carry the death penalty, and as for appealing...so not much

in or around the cities, when confronted by a crime, you actually hesitate, wondering which will be worse - dealing with the crook or the cop

Already seen
some crime can have it's own and nearly instant reward. The police seem disinterested in investigating some of the crime...

much of the drudge work is automated - farming for example
some people have a hard time relating to other humans....
good luck on seeing a doc if you don't have a pocket full of ducats.

Upside, not everyone is uncaring - Sky Ranch is doing something, even if just a little.

jackorchuck
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Hord

Post by jackorchuck » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:42 pm

TacAir such a world as you describe is not so far away. After leaving the Army in 1995, I served with a PMC in West Africa, Iraq and the Trashcan. PMCs are being used more frequently now, one reason being that they are not subjected to the restrictive ROE that Regular forces are forced to operate under ( ROE designed to reduce casualties not to win a war).

Anyway I am enjoying the story, Thank you.

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:11 pm

Hey really liked the update.And jack is right,not far off.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Post by prepper7 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:58 am

I just discovered this. What an awesome story!!! Whilst I like Exquisite Cadaver-type stories, I'm so glad no one picked up the pen when you offered it. You have a wonderful way of spinning a tale. Thank you for sharing your gift. Oh, and MOAR!--please.
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:36 pm

TA I'm trying to get caught up, I've been busy at work. And when I'm home I don't have a lot of energy after 6 16hr shifts in a week. But I'm slowly catching up. As usual the updates are fantastic!!!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:05 pm

Last edited by TacAir on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

harleyvato

Re: The Lottery -- more MOAR up. 7/16

Post by harleyvato » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:53 pm

Thanks for the update TacAir! Really enjoying your story, it's nice to see how you're planning it out as well. Looking forward to the next update!

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:22 pm

This is really a captivating story and I am its prisoner. Great writing. Really enjoying the alternative dystopia.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:14 am

Thanks.
Boldly going nowhere

Shadebringer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil 1, 2, 3 & 4, Red Dead & Read Dead 2!

Post by Shadebringer » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:21 am

This is awesome stuff! Did I read correctly earlier that you have this in a book form to order or was I imagining things?
“My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
---Thomas Stonewall Jackson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:13 pm

Woohoo! Finally got caught up! I'm glad that you picked this up, and not someone else. Very descriptive world you built here. I kinda view it as a 1930s depression meets Blade Runner and Mad Max. As they say "war, war never changes"
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:00 pm

Some have asked what Rosie looks like. I spent a bit oif time on the web and found some interesting images.

Before WWII we saw these.

The Hollywood aside, WWII really had something like this. What will the future bring?

Here is one vision. Not sure about the overhead bars.

What everyone thinks a future motorcycle will look like.

I think we will all be surprised
Image...

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:28 pm

This took inspiration from Fallout 3 which I kind of see this being. Maybe not as rough around the edges and probably not nuclear powered lol but hey I kinda visioned Rosie being like this.

Return to “Fiction”