Are We The Last?

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Are We The Last?

Post by teotwaki » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:48 pm

Glad this has been brought to life!
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

BadLands_Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead (1968, 1990)

Dawn of The Dead (1978, 2004)

Day of The Dead (1985)

The Dead Next Door (1989)

Post by BadLands_Shooter » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:46 am

Outstanding story! Can't wait for updates!
Former Army Infantryman.

-K/N Frame/M&P Lover.

“Hey man, you’re playing some killer music this morning. I have an empty cop car sitting outside my place. It’s been sitting there all night with the light bar flashing”. - Random Radio Caller

dank
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by dank » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:55 pm

Fantastic, you spin a good yarn...... :wink:

Poppyclips

Post by Poppyclips » Fri May 27, 2016 11:32 am

Please come back soon with MOAR!!! :awesome:

Fersaken

Post by Fersaken » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:00 pm

Sept 10, 2014

I slept long and hard, and was only awoke by the sound of kids playing. When I opened my eyes, the world seemed normal, the sun glaring through the windows, the air I was breathing, clean and fresh. I set up wiped my face with my hands, then stood, stretching. I walked outside, I could smell food, but wasn't all that hungry. Approaching the lobby I bumped into Josh who just nodded and continued whatever it was he was doing, as I continue outside.

Outside I could see Tiffany and Mike trying to teach Sarah, and Andy how to use a bow. When they were alerted to my presence they waved and smiled. I continued my walk, trying visualize my idea coming to life. The trees around here would be prefect, the hard part would be digging a 6 foot trench around the main part of the hotel, to place the trees in. Both to give them structure and support. I could see it coming together. It would take some time, but it could be done. I started walking back signaling everyone to join me. We all sat around the extinguished camp fire waiting for Josh to join us. When he finally appeared I began.

"For the past few days we have been relying on a locked door to protect us, how long do you think that would last if anything or anyone was alerted to our presence here? Not to mention how would we escape? Sure we have enough food to last a couple of days, but what about after that?" I took a moment looking at each person giving them a chance to respond, but no one did. "We have to make this our home," I said reaching for a half burnt stick, then drew a drawing of the hotel and the building in back before I continued, "This is the hotel, this is the supply building in back, what I think we should do is dig a 6 foot trench around both buildings. Once the trench is dug we can chop down most of the trees surrounding the area, place them vertically in the trench, tie them together........." I was interrupted by Josh, "This would take far to long, you and I and a bunch of kids?"

Tiffany interjected, "We cleaned a whole city, what have you done?"

Mike joined her, "Yeah how many people have you have to put down? I heard if it weren't for these two you and your son would be dead."

Josh sharply replied, "I don't need any of you, we were fine on our own."

The arguing continued until I grew angry yelling, "ENOUGH!"

They grew silent waiting for me to continue. I breathed deeply, "I know this will take some time, but it will be the best defense against the living and the dead. This is what i purpose, Josh, you will lead the digging team, I will lead the tree team." I paused to see if Josh had anything to say then he opened his mouth, " Why do I have to do the digging what if I want the trees?" I laughed cynically. "Take the trees, I'll do the digging." he replied, "NO, I am ok with the digging, I just wanted to make it clear you don't make the decisions here."

I contemplated throwing him out, but I needed him for now. Pushing those thoughts from my mind I continued, "Who wants to help cut trees and who wants to help dig?" Everyone except Andy stood up next to me. " We can't all cut trees, we need some on digging as well." Sarah walked over to Josh, I was irritated by this but I understood why she did it."

The next couple of hours we spent walking the purposed trench, marking the borders. I explained to them that all of the dirt to be removed for the trench should be pilled up on the inside to give extra support if anything where ever to push against it. Josh even made a few comments about watch towers and such, to which I welcome, but right now I was mainly worried about building the fence, after that we could easily add more to it.

Once we finished talking about the fence we gathered at the campfire again. Everyone seemed very content with my idea. Even Josh was growing to accept it was a good idea.

Again I started talking, "Today is Saturday, I think, we need a schedule or something of the sort. Tiffany and Mike, you two know the town, know the ins and outs." They both arrogantly said, "Yup!" Then I continued, "Then on Fridays you two will go out and scavenge, bring back food, medicine, water etc." They happily accepted."

"Sarah, on Friday your chore will be to go to the lake with Andy, bring back enough water to last the week, boil it, then store it."

"On Fridays, Josh and I, will attempt to go hunting, as well as helping any of you with your tasks. Sunday will be our rest day, and stay safe. Don't venture far from the compound, if you do make sure to tell someone why and how long you will be gone. Monday - Thursday from sunrise to sunset the fence line will be our main focus. Any questions? We start tomorrow."

Looking around everyone seemed to be content with the decisions I had made. A moment later most everyone got up, going back to what they were doing before the meeting. I walked to the ledge over looking the town below, happy with the way our discussion had gone.

After sitting there for a moment I decided I would go ahead an start preparing for tomorrow. Sunday was suppose to be our rest day but tomorrow was Sunday and we would begin then. We had been resting for long enough. I went to the supply building, then to the storage room, grabbed 2 axes, 100 feet of rope, a pair of glove, and brought them to the first tree I planned on cutting down. After I put on the gloves I grabbed the axe, saying to myself, "No time like the present." I swung the axe with determination, when my body way tired I consumed the rage of all that we had been through and continued chopping. Before long the others hear me shouting, " Timber " as the first tree fell.

They all ran out to the fallen tree, anxious to help. I was a firm believer in leading by example, and by falling the first tree the others joined in helping. We spent the rest of the day chopping the limbs off of the tree, then cutting the tree into 16 foot lengths. 16 foot to me was the perfect size, the base would be 6 feet in the ground, leaving 10 feet above ground, which would be more than enough, unless the zombies had learned how to climb walls. Even the ones I call hunters would struggle with clearing a 10 foot fence.

Once trimmed and cut to size, they were brought to the front of the hotel where we would begin our fence. Each tree would make roughly 4-5 posts for the wall.

By nightfall we were able to cut, and trim seven more trees.

Once the sun had set most of us were worn out, I had skipped breakfast, and now I am skipping dinner too. I wasn't hungry. I wanted this fence built, partly out of excitement, and partly out of need. I went straight to our room, dirty clothes still on, fell face first into the bed. I don't remember falling asleep.

Fersaken

Post by Fersaken » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:53 pm

We continued working the days turned into weeks which turned into months, I lost track of the days, all that mattered was Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Sarah I was certain had kept a calendar, she thought it was important to know what seasons were coming or going. To me if it was cold it was winter, if it was hot it was summer.

We were able to finish the fence by early December by my counts. Some days snow prevented us from working, food became scarce even with us scavenging, and eating things none of us had wanted to eat. I felt like Tiffany & Mike had picked the town below clean of everything down to the last stale cracker. Those two where very helpful despite their constant bickering, which I might add is almost nonexistent now. The winter is taking its toll on all of us. At night it was worse the temperatures would drop drastically.

Tonight was colder then normal, I couldn't get warm. Sarah had joined our beds together in our hotel room so we could make use of body heat, but tonight it wouldn't be enough.

I stood up shivering, " Come on, enough is enough. " I went to each persons room, waking them. Each of them were having the same trouble we were having, unable to sleep because of the temperatures. "Grab your blankets and follow me."

I walked outside followed by my envoy, it was freezing, to much time out here would kill us. I walked to the gate released the lock and rolled it open. Once everyone passed through, I rolled the gate back closed and locked it behind us.

The wind was ferociously blowing making it feel more cold than it was, as I followed the snow covered fence line to the back of the compound. I made sure to pick up each scrap log I could find as we made our way to one of the two story cabins.

We finally reached the cabin, I unlocked the door allowing everyone in, then walked in myself, locking the door behind us. The reprieve from the wind was much needed but it was still freezing.

I threw the logs I had found outside into the fireplace, using a lighter I tired to get a fire going. The wood was wet from the snow, which was stopping it from igniting. I couldn't feel my fingertips, I could however feel everyone's eyes on me. I frantically grabbed a dining room chair, raised it high above my head, then crashed it into the floor. Using the pieces of the now shattered chair I was able to get a fire to ignite. That night we went through 5 more chairs, a dining room table, 3 bar stools, and the wooden banister on the stairs, but we had made it through the night.

Since we had finished the fence, we had primarily focused on food and staying warm, but no new tasks had been assigned. After last night changes needed to be made, we had roughly 3-4 months of blistering cold to make it through, limited food, limited everything.

Once everyone was awake enough I spoke while stoking the fire, "We need to do more than what we have been doing, we need food, we need more fire wood. I am assigning new tasks." Josh was the only one to look at me with resentment, but even he stayed quiet. Josh, Tiffany, Mike, and myself will hunt 4 days a week, we will be paired each of us going a different direction. Sarah, and Andy fire wood will be your only task. The main compound, I feel, is structurally sound, we can't stay in the hotel at night, we will freeze to death. I think we should all stay in the same cabin until spring comes."

This new world would require more work than any of us had ever previously done, it would be the only way to survive. I was asking a lot from everyone, including myself. Part of me wished I could of gone back to that cave, ended it there. I felt as if I got these people here, I felt as if they were my responsibility.

One good trait about winter is the dead didn't seem to like it very much. We hadn't see a single walker in months, I started to wonder if they had all simply starved to death.

I grabbed my shot gun, put on my boots, then journeyed outside.

The wind had subsided, and the sun was baring down on the blanket of snow. I made my way deeper into the woods, deeper than any of us had ever been. Quietly taking each step. Hoping to stumble upon a meal.

I lost track of how much time I had spent out here looking for some animal to kill. My stomach was churning, I was hungry, but that didn't stop me. I came across a set of deer tracks, cautiously looking around for the deer who had made them. Nothing in site. I followed the tracks for a couple of hundred feet. When I came to a small ridge just over the horizon, I found my prey. Using a shot gun, I knew my chances were slim of killing the beast in one shot, I aimed not to kill but to cripple. Looking down the sites, I aimed at its leg, pulled the trigger, then darkness.

When I came to I was in a well warmed cabin, my head was aching. For a moment I thought I had passed out, my friends finding me, bringing back to our cabins. However, as my senses became more aware, I didn't recognize this cabin, when I tried to rub the aching part of my head I found my hands tied. I began to panic, trying to wiggle free, but who ever had tied these knots wasn't in the business of them not holding what they were tied down to. I looked around, hoping to find something in my environment I could use to break free. Nothing. Then I heard foot steps approaching, big foot steps. THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! Then they stopped. I heard the door knob click then make a turn. I pretended I was still unconscious.

Then a voice bellowed, "I know yous be awake."

I looked up at my captor. He was a massive black man, unshaven, he wore a winter cap with the ears covering his ears, along with a huge coat made out of some type of animal, bear I assumed. Covering his pants was more fur from some other animal, on his feet large black boots.

"No use in tryin ta escape. I tied dem knots real gud." he bellowed.

He sat in front of me, reached close to the fire, pull something back from it, then took a bit out of it. Still chewing he spoke, "You got da deer, meat tis tender too. The rest of it hangin out der. Names Bub, not shirt for anyting, and noes last name."

He continued chewing, "Watcha doing out in dem woods. You huntin ole Bub?"

I shook my head, still trying to find a way to escape. He continued, " Well you ain't one of dem crazy biters, and you ain't noes hunter, hell you ain't even from these parts. Bub sees only one thing, you was up here to hunts Bub, or kill Bub. Which is it, don't you going lying to Bub."

I swallowed before I spoke, "Look man, I don't know you, I was only hunting for food." He rared back slapping me across the cheek, "Bub knos you don't kill no deer with a shotgun, you gunna tell Bub the truth, you lie to Bub again, Bub kill you dead where you sits."

Swallowing again I tried to explain the truth to him holding nothing back. He didn't look like the type to go back on his word, or the type to give many second chances.

Sucking the bone as he listened before speaking, "Lets say Bub belebs you, what should Bub do? I knos about the hotel yous talking about. It be to dark to goes back der now. Yous gunna stayed tied up nice in tight here tonights."

Somewhat relieved by his response I asked, " Why would anyone want to hunt you? "

He threw his picked clean bone into the fire stood up, gazing at something clearly only he could see, then said in a quiet voice, so quiet I didn't think he was capable of, "When Bubs was a young man, Bubs momma asked fer him to goes to the stoor for sum milk. She handed Bubs 2 dollar and sent Bub on his way. Bubs was poor, Bubs wore clothing with bad tears in dem, and sandals when Bubs was lucky. On da way to da stoor, a group of kids passed Bub by, Bub always mind his own business and payed dem no attention as they called Bubs names. Bubs kept on walking. Dem kids wouldn't stop, dey passed back by Bubs tree more times befores they stopped. Two of dem got out the car while two of dem sat watching. Dey started pushing Bubs around, Bubs didn't want no trouble, dem boys wouldn't stop. Bubs got pushed to the ground. Bubs tried to get up but one of the boys kicked Bubs. Bubs rolled over onto his back, all de while the boy was calling Bubs "pussy", "nigger", "monkey", "ape". Anyways dem boys got back into der car and started to drive off when Bubs rolled over to get up. When Bubs got up he heard the boys slam on der brakes. They came back to me, den one of them punch me. Bubs grabbed him by the throat, as de other boy punched Bubs. Bubs kept the other boy held by his throat as Bubs hit the other boy. Finally de boy Bubs was punching hopped into der car peeled out leaving bubs alone. When Bubs came to the other boy Bubs was holding by da throat wasn't moving. Bubs set him down, Bubs tried to wake him, Bubs was there til the police got there. Bubs got hand cuffed. Da boy Bubs killed was da son of one of da police officers arresting Bubs. Dem officers put Bubs into a cop car, Bubs was going to jail. But before Bubs got to jail the officer pull over demanding Bubs get out, Bubs got out, da officer uncuffed Bubs and tolded Bubs to go home. Bubs took off running when Bubs heard da first shot, the second shot hit Bubs in da arm." He paused to show me a scar when the wound had healed before continuing. "Bubs ran all da way home. When Bubs got home, Bubs mom told Bubs to run as fast as Bubs could, and never ta come back. Bubs been living in deese wood ever since."

I was blown away by his story. I weighed heavily what to ask him next. Then asked, "Have you seen many biters around here?" He responded, "Bubs kills a few of dem, but Bubs hasn't seen many. Bubs knows they try to bite you, and Bubs knows how to kill them with Bubs bare hand if Bubs need be."

He was a simple man but even he was aware of what was going on, simply in a different understanding than the rest of us.

Bubs then walked over to me, removing a large knife from beneath his furr coverings, then cut my ropes. Then said, "Yous can run, but yous will die in the winter night. Bubs bring you back with your deer tomorrows. Til then ders food on the fire, Bubs going to sleep, Yous try to hurt Bubs, Bubs kill you."

Sure enough Bubs laid in his bed, both feet of his hung over the edge. Who knows how long he had been our here. I had my feel of what I would call some sort of deer stew. It wasn't bad but I wouldn't call it good either. I would be willing to bet it was all natural, no salt pepper, no additives. I laid on the floor thinking of his story, how horrid of an experience it must have been for him. I knew Sarah would be extremely pissed at me for being gone all night, I hoped she would understand.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:21 am

Woo!!!! Great update just got caught up! Really digging whatsoever related here!!! Please sir may we have MOAR??
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Poppyclips

Post by Poppyclips » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:21 am

:clap: Thanks!! Please keep it coming. Your writing style is most gripping!

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:22 am

Really glad to see this kicking off again.Saw it bumped up but didn't realize it had been restarted. Big surprise.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Moar?
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:19 am

Fersaken I'm a wait'n. Dammit Bear.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

dank
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by dank » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:45 pm

MOAR, MOAR, MOAR,.... Please :clap:

Poppyclips

Post by Poppyclips » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:38 am

Guess this story is a dead one! :ohdear:

Return to “Fiction”