Sudden Death

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

selen

Re: Sudden Death

Post by selen » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks for the update

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Halfapint wrote:You am question my tactics but look... You get MOAR! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!

Ok ok sorry, thanks for the update AJ!!!! You rock... Now back in the hole!
Hehehe worked out just like we planned.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Great update can't wait for the next. :awesome:
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:37 pm

DAVE KI wrote:Great update can't wait for the next. :awesome:
Me either!

Azraelsjudgement
Favorite Zombie Movies: Least Favorite would be a shorter list

Post by Azraelsjudgement » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:50 pm

Happy New Year. Well here is the next update and the second one has already been started. The editor...me...has been sick so been waiting to clean this up. Let me know how I did because I am still sick! Here ya go
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dillon sat at a picnic table to watch the sunrise. The sky was slowly lighting up the world. No matter how dark and dreary it felt, the sun was always around to remind everyone a new day was here. There was some comfort in that, a new day to live and maybe eventually a day where the Zeds are no more. He hoped one morning he would wake up and they would be lying on the ground, dead for good. Today was not that day however. They were all very much undead….

Dillon rubbed the crust from his eyes. Sleep has not come to him easily even with the drugs Paige gave him. She would be livid if she knew he’d been getting up at sunrise. Alex has avoided him for the past five days which has made lying in bed torturous as he tries to figure out his next move. He wasn’t sure how to proceed from here being he’s never had a real relationship before. Now here he was sulking around more worried about Alex than the flesh eating Zeds outside the walls. In fact their numbers have been steadily increasing so much that all able bodied people are being used outside the walls to put down the Zeds and remove the corpse pile ups. Dillon could still smell the lingering scent of burnt flesh from the bonfire of bodies yesterday. Even though the Wal-Mart council had ordered everyone to keep noise levels to a minimum the Zeds kept pouring in and Dillon knew why. Mary was still out there, very much alive. That he had zero doubt.

The group has tried to explain the mutants to the council, but they seem to dismiss it as nonsense and PTSD. Dillon has seen Alex get into heated arguments with Lance on a few occasions. The only one who seems to take anything seriously is Calvin. He’s even started training more people to fight and get them use to dealing with death. Lance is not happy at all. Starr even mentioned that she thought Lance was trying to make a society of weak and compliant people to rule over like some warlord wannabe. Even though Dillon has been off duty he’s been watching people closely. Lance may be the big pain in the ass, but Manny was the one to really fear. The guy always had a glint of rage and anger in his eyes every time Dillon has seen him. Most of that anger seems directed at Calvin, Sal, and Alex. It has always seemed he resents the group being there. With the increasing Zed population some of the other people around here were starting to mimic Manny’s dirty looks. It may be justified if Mary is behind it of course. Either way Dillon wasn’t about to get beat down by some an angry mob. Anytime he is alone his hand is very close to drawing his glock just in case…

As Dillon sat by himself he had already heard someone approaching, but it was a casual approach so he knew the person wasn’t sneaking up on him “Hey Dill” Starr said sitting down opposite of him.

“Little early to be up for you isn’t it?” he asked.

Starr yawned rubbing her eyes “Yah, but I agreed to help outside the walls today. I got stuck with an early shift.”

Dillon looked over at her. The sun rising behind her made her look angelic of sorts. Dillon pushed the thoughts from his mind as fast as they appeared “Yah…I wish I could go out there myself. Not that I enjoy stabbing corpses in the head, but I like to pull my own weight is all...”

“Please. Chillax would ya? Enjoy the rest. You seem to have a knack for getting injured. Just get back to one hundred percent so you’re in top form for when we leave this nuthouse.”

Dillon sighed in frustration “I know. I know.”

Starr rolled her eyes “That sounded convincing. How you feeling anyways?”

Dillon frowned a bit “Alright I suppose. The swelling in my knee has come down enough the crutches are mostly for support now. My foot’s good enough. As for the ribs…not too bad as long as I keep em wrapped. Don’t think I’ll be wrestling anytime soon.”

“A pity...” Starr said flirtatiously.

Dillon felt a bit warm, not from the humidity either “So uh…how is everyone doing? Only Mel with the kids and Sal checks in on me besides you.”

Starr shrugs “Eh alright. Just trying to rest, well until recently now that they need our help outside the walls. Ted and Zack have been regularly checking out and failing to
hit on all the new women around. They are cute trying though. Then you have Charles who is obsessed with slaying Zeds still. It is some kind of unhealthy fixation, but to each their own I guess. I’m also pretty sure Sarah and Sofia are a couple now.”

Dillon raised an eyebrow “Huh…now that’s some interesting news. “

Starr giggled “I can already see the fantasies going through your mind” she teased.

Dillon slyly smiled “What can I say?”

Starr rolled her eyes “That you’re a perv.” Dillon just laughed then shrugged.

Suddenly Charles yelled from the front gate “Starr let’s go!!”

Starr got up “Damn. Well rest up Dill. Time for me to work.”

Dillon nodded “Alright. Be careful.”

Starr was checking her revolvers and looked at Dillon “Pffft. Look who’s talking.” Dillon smirked then she ran off waving bye.

Dillon watched as more people started coming back from watch including Alex who looked exhausted. She handed her spear to someone else that was relieving her. She stood by herself finally looking over at Dillon who looked right back at her. It didn’t last long though, she looked down and away heading inside to get some most likely get some sleep. Dillon felt like going to her, but he just couldn’t get a read on her body language. If anything it seemed uncaring and maybe even hostile towards him, but he was lost in the ways of women. Dillon just sat there watching the shift change wishing he could go back in time to change what he did. Though one has to make mistakes to learn from them…..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alex has noticed Starr and Dillon together more often. Though knowing Dillon he probably doesn’t even notice Starr’s attraction towards him. The odd thing was Alex didn’t feel jealous, in fact she felt herself becoming colder and more distant to anyone. It’s as if her emotions were shutting down as a defensive mechanism to losing people and the possibility to losing more. She can’t let her emotions sway her leadership abilities. Even looking at her own son she felt that motherly bond, but even there she had almost fully accepted the possibility he may not make it to become an adult in this world. She was in effect emotionally burnt out now.

As she headed to get a change of clothes then hit the showers to clean off Zed goo she saw Manny eyeing her again. She was tired, cranky, and was getting sick of his evil eye to her. She approached him “What the fuck is your issue?”

Her words didn’t seem to do much to him. There was a slightly evil smirk that formed “Heh oh little girl. You think you’re some tough ass soldier of the apocalypse? You ain’t shit so stop acting like it. Ever since you people came here the Zed population has been steadily rising. It’s as if they want you and your group. I say we throw you to em.”

Alex looked at him in disgust, but kept her voice low “Listen here you pig. You hide behind these walls with your butt buddy Lance. You guys don’t even help on the outside. You don’t know shit so fuck you” then she walked away calmly. In reality the only reason Manny wasn’t on the floor bleeding is because of all the people sleeping peacefully. Then there was the fact if she attacked him with no witnesses it would only harm her group’s ability to stay here. She didn’t even look back, but Manny apparently didn’t have any rebuttal as she walked away without another word from him.

When she got back to her cubby area that was once an aisle in Wal-Mart, Mel, Sarah, Sofia, and the kids were still out cold. Quietly she got some comfortable shorts and a t-shirt to change into for some sleep then headed for the makeshift showers. She went through the double doors that led to the stock room and break room. There was a light on in the break room so Alex went in. Sal was sitting there with a cheap looking candle lantern drinking instant coffee “Morning Sal. Figure you’d be up already.”
Sal looked up with nod “Yah gonna man the wall today. I can’t go running across the tops of slippery car roofs, but at least I can back people up from a distance. How’s it out there today?”

Alex shrugged “Getting worse by the hour. Not sure how we’ll clear the bodies out at this rate. With cars slowly getting moved by the mass of Zeds pushing now, the trucks are having trouble getting to all the bodies meaning we need to drag em out. Of course even that is becoming almost impossible with the constant flow of Zeds coming in trying to bite our hands.”

“This place may turn into a graveyard at this rate” Sal said “May have to think of a contingency plan to get the hell outta here.”

“Already thinking about it. We’re surrounded though, no matter what it won’t be easy.”

“I know. We’ll figure it out. We always do. How you been anyways?”

“Fine.”

Sal smirked “Bullshit.”

Alex took a deep breath “Look I just want a shower and then sleep. I don’t need a Zen moment right now.”

Sal laughed “Nah I was just gonna say end it or make up. This whole ignoring one another is causing tension. Figure it out. Now go away so I can enjoy my damn coffee.”

Alex knew he was right, but left like he said. She walked toward the back room climbing out the large doors that use to welcome in tractor trailers full of economic goods. She was saddened how much people took truck drivers for granted. They spend their days driving food and other needed goods around the country for people to buy. Alex never really took time to understand the beauty of economics in making the lives of regular people easier. Sure corruption of power at the top made things more complicated and expensive, but people tried to fight back against it to provide goods and services at the best prices possible. Now here humans were with store wares emptying fast and no one to come replace them. They have gone back in time to trying to find food, water, shelter, and medical care the hard way with their own dead chasing after them extremely complicating the matter.

Alex finally snapped out of her trance heading to a shower. No one else was around which meant more water for her. With the lack of cloud cover and humidity the water has been nice. Not to cold or too hot unless someone had to take a midafternoon shower of course. Opening up the shower curtain there was already body wash, wash cloth, shampoo, and a towel. She hung her new clothes up on a rack just outside the curtain then disrobed throwing the goo covered ones outside to probably burn later.

Alex stood there without turning on the water to just let the wind flow over her bare skin. It felt nice and comforting, usually. Unfortunately today it also brought the smell of burnt death along with it ruining her moment. She finally turned the water on to clean up trying to think of what she wanted to do about Dillon. In reality she didn’t want to deal with it at all. His moments of immature actions were unattractive and annoying. Also right now the main concern flowing through her brain was how to get out of here alive. The Zeds were coming in force, they were relentless. Dillon would just have to wait for now. If he couldn’t deal then Starr was right there for a shoulder to cry on. Times like this she missed her husband. He was a guiding light in times of disorder, hell this was chaos. While she would still be leader he at least could balance her out with his more laid back approach to life. She was the fighter he was the philosopher and more… Even though she finished cleaning up the more intimate moments of times with her husband took control of her body. Her hand slowly made its way down her body stopping in between her thighs causing her to stay in the shower longer then she had intended…..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sal looked through the scope of the Dragunov surveying the roadway leading to the Wal-Mart area. There didn’t seem to be any mutants out there at all. Frustration was setting in, Mary and her goons had to be out there causing this. Having Lance, Manny, and their underlings lay full blame on his group was pissing him off. Sal’s main concern was the fact they may be outnumbered and a surprise angry mob may just kill them taking all their goods as well. Fear can turn people into wild animals in a flash. Seeing what men could and had to do in war was inhuman, uncivilized, it was no wonder people would suffer psychotic breaks. In the world now everyone was at war with what used to be human beings, stripped down to the basic desire to eat. They didn’t really seem to care what they ate either. Though seeing animals eaten wasn’t common Sal assumed it was because of their more primal instincts and quicker speed. Chasing down and trapping humans was a much easier task for Zeds to accomplish.

Sal started to pan across the car maze. Starr and Charles didn’t see a taller Zed coming to them. It could probably reach them standing on top if its fallen brethren. Sal lined up for the shot then fired. The bullet sailed through the air exploding the back of the Zeds head. Starr turned around shocked then gave a thumbs-up back to Sal. Sal found another group who also seemed to be in trouble. Two men were becoming overwhelmed trapped on top of a smaller car. Sal lined up the first shot. He pulled the trigger sending the bullet sailing into a Zed skull. Unfortunately it scared the hell out of one of the guys causing him to slide off the roof. Sal sent a sling of curses as the groups were all told he would be up here sniping at Zeds if people got into dangerous situations. The other man pulled him back up, but much too late. The man who fell had his leg ripped apart. Sal could see the muscle and tendons exposed to the world now. Before the fallen man could plead for mercy the other man pulled his sidearm putting a hole in his head.

The man who was left on his own ran then jumped over the Zeds. It looked like he would make it, but he fell on his ass then off the car. Lucky for him the Zeds hadn’t made it there yet. Sal started firing at the lead Zeds in that lane of the maze as the man ran for it. He eventually made it to the wall with no issues getting back on top quickly. Sal looked up as the man came walking over to him “Tanks man..uhhh, oh yah Sal. Saved my ass out dere. Names Joker to others, but mad respect dude you can call me Trevor.”

Sal looked up to see a young skinny tan man covered in tattoos. Even though the young man butchered the English language, Sal reached up to shake his hand “No problem son. Just doing my job.”

“You one badass dude yo. Aight gotta go check in with Cal, lata.”

“Bye” Sal held in a chuckle till Trevor was out of hearing distance then got back to work.

The rest of Sal’s shift was predictable. Taking his shots as needed, not wasting ammunition, and saving people’s asses out there. There was another casualty on the other side of the compound, but that was because a wannabe sniper shot his own man in the back. The only good long range shooters were Sal, Alex, Zack, Mel, Chen, and Calvin. Dillon may need to be put in action as well. Things were starting to get out of hand. Finally Zack tapped Sal on the shoulder to replace him and Sal was damn happy too “Alright kid good luck. It’s a mess out there. Keep a sharp lookout; the groups are getting overwhelmed fast.”
“Yes sir.”

Sal left him to it and limped back down with his Dragnuov slung over his shoulder. On his way back to putting his rifle away Calvin approached him nervously “Hey um Sal, how’s it uh going?”

Sal scrunched his eyebrows “What’s the matter?”

Calvin looked around nervously “Something seems off about some of the people round here. They are acting cold to me. I think Lance and Manny may be up to something. Watch your backs is all.”

Sal scratched his growing beard “Uh huh. Well we have our eyes on them already. Sure they are just getting all uppity because of the Zed influx. Those two aren’t warriors, just power hungry piss ants. Anyone who follows em are prolly just as pathetic. Just stayed armed at all times. Make sure Paige and Maureen are on the same page as you. My ragtag crew could prolly take this whole place on our own. No offense to you of course. If we hafta take Lance and his ugly side kick down then so be it…”

“Alright. Thank Sal.” Calvin tried to casually walk away doing a piss poor job of it in Sal’s eyes. He might as well wear a sign that says I am plotting against Lance and the new guys are with me. Nothing Sal could do about it. His attention was his own group’s safety. If things do go bad around here their intention is to take at least Paige and Calvin with them. Chen, Jamal, and Maureen would be welcome too, but that’s about all they’d be willing to take on.

Sal put his rifle away locking up the truck. His sidearm was still ready to go at a moment’s notice though. Even though Sal sweat his balls off he didn’t feel like a shower right now. He saw Ted in nothing but shorts and sandals sitting at a picnic table. He had what looked like liquor with him. Sal thought that was a good idea and headed over.

Of course with Sal’s luck he heard a voice call to him. That whiny fake authoritarian voice of Lance screeched for him to hold up. Sal turned around to see Lance and two of his goons walk towards him. Sal was tired and wanted to sit down, but did that mean Lance would rush to him? Of course not. Sal scowled as Lance finally got within an appropriate distance of Sal offering a fake smile “Greetings Sal. How are you doing today?”

“Well Lance. I’ve been lying down for hours with the sun beating down on me shooting dead people. I feel like dancing in a field of flowers.”

Lance responded with a nervous laugh “Sorry. I know it has been a rough a day. I was just wondering if you would help on another wall for a while.”

Sal laughed “What? You serious?”

“Um yah.”

Sal got closer to Lance making his two goons tense up “Listen here you little worm. Why don’t you and Manny get your asses out there and start killing shit. I’m done for the day. Also do not forget I don’t take orders from you. So if you want someone else out there to kill shit, do it yourself or send one of your guys.”

Lance’s face was red with rage, but he knew better. He turned around stomping away in a huff. Sal wanted to tell him off forever, it felt good, real good. There would probably be more issues to deal with in the future, but that lil piss ant didn’t worry Sal. Turning back to Ted he saw a glass half full waiting for him. Ted smiled waving him over.

Sal sat down opposite of Ted “That fucking guy.”

Ted smiled “Yah he’s a douche. Drink up, forget that clown. I already told Manny to get his ass out there when he flipped out after one of his men shot another one of his men. You ain’t seen a face full of rage until you piss him off.”

“Pffft. Manny you can tell was once some overweight drunk. He prolly beat his women and did half ass jobs to save money. While talented with building things, it’s a waste on that shit stain.”

Ted laughed so hard alcohol dribbled down his face as he tried not to spit it out. Finally gulping it down and coughing a little “Sal you’re one foul mouthed old dude.”

“Call me old again and you’ll be drinking from a straw” he said seriously then finally giving into laughter after Ted’s jaw dropped to the ground.

“Jeesh man thought you were serious for a second.”

“Nah if I was serious I wouldn’t warn you, I’d just do it” then downing the rest of his liquor and refilling his glass quickly.

Ted shook his head “You all some crazy motherfuckers. Perfect people to have around in this hell.”

Sal laughed “Damn right.”
"My zombies will never take over the world because I need the humans. The humans are the ones I dislike the most, and they're where the trouble really lies." - George A. Romero

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:19 pm

Thanks for the update AJ! Don't have time to read it, but will tomorrow AM!! Thanks again!!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:52 am

Good update. Get better and keep writing!! :wink:
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

selen

Post by selen » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:52 am

Very good update.Thank you :)

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Lance and Manny need a gross encounter of the worst kind with a mutant or two. Another "good" possibility for those two would be for one to get bit and have the other forced to put the bitten one down.

BooSmith

Post by BooSmith » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:00 pm

Great story so far! Can't wait to see how you get them out of Walmart and to the Catskills! And then where you go from there.

Keep up the good work and Thanks!

Azraelsjudgement

Post by Azraelsjudgement » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:58 am

Thanks everyone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mel climbed back up to the wall with Alex and a girl named Shironda right behind her. They were all exhausted from pushing back the horde of undead, though in reality they were pushed back. The shifts have been shorter to keep people fresh, but it wasn’t working. Mel was exhausted. Sometimes she wished the council knew her real age so they wouldn’t let her on the outside. While Mel may only be thirteen she was toned, shapely like an older teen, and has the experience of an adult etched in her face. Everyone at the compound outside her own group believed she was at least sixteen or even older. You had to be at least that age to be allowed outside the walls. Mel had become friends with a girl named Erica who was fifteen who was stuck cleaning all the clothes that are deemed salvageable. The girl Shironda fighting with her was nineteen and talked to Mel like an equal. Mel had to make up stories about High School life to keep up the charade, which was kind of fun for her.

As Mel stood on the wall looking over the compound she could feel the depressing mood of the place. She missed being on the move, being trapped behind these walls was…suffocating. She felt imprisoned and effectively was…they all were. Shironda patted her on the shoulder as she headed down the ramp back inside the walls. Alex walked up and stood next to her “How ya feeling?”

Mel took a deep breath “Like I got hit by a bus.”

Alex nodded “I hear that. Same ole shit, new day. Have you noticed something?”

“Yah…we’re losing.”

“You got it….I talked to Sal yesterday. We need to get out of here, ASAP.”

“Easier said than done.”

“I know. Our vehicles are trapped inside too. There is no way out of the maze. We’ll be leaving on foot….at least until we get to the dump truck….”

This piqued Mel’s interest “I doubt they’ll let us just take it.”

Alex smirked “We have a few people that want to leave this place too. I’m not letting us die in here, not after everything we’ve been through. Paige and Calvin are with us, so when the times right we’re outta here. Mums the word, just watch your back is all. Something bad is in the air and I don’t mean the smell of death.”

“Guess you got it under control then. What about our stuff?”

“Charles, Starr, and Calvin moved most of it last night. They obviously didn’t make it to the dump truck with just the three of them, but they got the stuff in the back of a large pick-up truck covered with a tarp near the outer edge. Luckily that side has the least amount of Zed activity.”

“Awesome. When do we leave?”

Alex smiled “Tonight. One A.M. one of us will get you, don’t worry. Just let Zack know.”

“Yes mam.”

Alex walked forward then turned around “By the way great job out there.”

Mel said “Thanks” then watched Alex walk away. She often wonders what would have happened to her if Alex never came along. Would she still be locked in that store, dead, or freed by even worse people than George. Fate is funny that way. It seems random, but sometimes things just seem to fall in place like a puzzle. Dillon and Alex meeting on a random street, both kids they were looking for tucked somewhat safely away waiting for them, Sal letting them in his home, then Alex needing medicine and finding it in the place Mel was being held captive. Anything could have broken that chain to leave Mel stranded for good. It sent a chill down her spine.

After a few minutes just standing on the wall pondering life she spotted some of the younger crowd sitting around in some camping chairs hanging out away from everyone. Mel was tired but decided to join them. She undid her bandana to let her curly short hair breath in the wind and then slowly made her way over to them. Mel arrived pulling up a chair to sit in a circle made up of Zack, Erica, Shironda, and a nineteen year old openly gay guy named Glen “Hey everyone. What’s the news today?”

Glen shrugged “Just things going to hell. This place is fracturing; I think shit is going down today. Not sure what though.”

“I’m sure you’re just being dramatic” Erica said annoyed.

“Bitch” was Glen’s response as usual to her.

“Now ladies” Zack teased.

“Watch yourself stud muffin I’ll scratch your eyes out with my bowie knife” Glen warned him pretending to be tough. Zack just laughed then looked over at Mel. He was attracted to her, but he also knew her real age meaning he wouldn’t make a move to save his life “How’d it go today Mel?”

Mel stretched her shoulder and arms pushing her bust out to tease Zack a bit “Oh you know, slaying the dead, keeping Shironda alive. Same ole shit.”

Mel noticed Zack’s eyes quickly avert his gave when she looked back at him “Yah I hear that. Glen here lost his spear after like five minutes. These Wal-Mart people I tell ya.”

“Fuuuuuck yooouuuu, dam road warriors” Shironda joked.

“Pffft. Least you guys don’t have to try and clean all the gross shit off the clothes when you’re done. Threw out at least a third of the clothes given to me.” Erica complained.

Glen got serious looking at Mel and Zack “So these mutants you claim to exist. Seen any outside the walls since you been here?”

They both shook their heads looking at the ground. Zack looked back up “Listen, they ARE REAL. They make Zeds seem like cake walk. Dillon had to stuff a grenade in ones mouth before. Fucked up shit. We deff didn’t imagine that.”

Shironda frowned “Dam. Seems like we’re fucked in this world no matter what….”

“Maybe, but I didn’t survive to give up now” Mel said defiantly “No matter how many times we get busted in the mouth, hafta get your ass back up.”

Glen chuckled “I like you. If only I was straight.”

Mel laughed “Even if you were, you’re not that cute.”

Glen stood up pretending he took a dagger to the chest, dropping to his knees “Ouch…dam vagina squads wouldn’t know cute if it bit ya in the ass.”

“Lately I’ve had cuter things try to bite me in the ass then you Glen” Mel countered.

Everyone cracked up laughing, even Glen. Then to everyone’s surprise Dillon came limping over without any crutches carrying a bag. Everyone always forgets he’s eighteen because he is usually hanging out with the older guys. The truth was even the older men looked up to him as some kind of apocalyptic warrior, even ones who never saw him in action “What up?”

Everyone said “hi” to him. Dillon pulled up a chair placing the bag next to him “You guys are looking at me like some old dude just raided your party, relax.”

Mel laughed “Sorry we’re just not use to you hanging with the young crowd is all.”

“Shit I’m younger than Glen and Shironda. Sure I could kick all five of your asses even with a gimpy knee, but I’m still young at heart.”

Zack shook his head “Shit. I just told them about the grenade in the mouth act you pulled off.”

Dillon shrugged “It was more an act of desperation then being bad ass. It’s not smart to set a grenade off within blast distance.”

“How ya feeling now?” Mel asked feeling a bit awkward as she looked up to Alex.

“I don’t know. Good enough I guess.” Dillon opened the bag pulling out a six pack of Bud “Here I brought six beers, we’ve all earned it.”

“Uh were all under age” Erica reminded him.

Dillon scrunched his eyebrows looking at her funny “Says who?”

“Well the gov….oh yah…alright I’ll try one.” Dillon handed them all out and everyone popped their tops “They are luke warm, but fuck it. Cheers.”

Everyone started drinking when Erica spit it out “Ewww this is gross.”

Mel wasn’t a fan of the taste either, but she and Zack have snuck harder stuff than this “Suck it up girl, that’s alcohol abuse.”

Erica’s face went red “Sorry….” She kept sipping on it while cringing every time.

“Who has the little ones?” Mel asked Dillon.

He gulped down some beer “Sofia and Sarah.”

“I think they’re lesbos” Shironda chimed in.

“Ick. Two girls…no schlong…no thanks” Glen said pretending to have the shivers.

Dillon laughed “I would say you’re right Shironda.” Dillon looked over at Zack “Hey snap out of the fantasy.”

Zack’s face went red “No..I wasn’t…I”

Mel laughed “Relax Zack. Jeesh, boys.”

“What about you Glen any men around here for ya?” Dillon asked.

Glen sighed “Nope. My gaydar detects nothing.”

Erica got up to give him a side hug putting her cheek to his “Awww my poor Glenny poo.”

“Yah yah. Damn all these macho hetero men.”

Dillon downed the rest of his beer then stood up “Alright. I got a doctor’s appointment to attend. Take care everyone.” Everyone said good luck to him as Paige took her doctoring very seriously.

“What’s everyone up to the rest of the day?” Mel asked.

“Eh prob shower and sleep” Zack said.

Glen agreed “Me too.”

“I’m not tired” Erica responded “Think I’m gonna go help out people coming and going from the wall.”

“You know there’s a council meeting in a few hours. Think I’m gonna check it out to see what’s going on round here” Shironda chimed in.

“Smart, no one ever tells us what’s going on” Glen complained.

Erica nodded “They deff don’t. Well, let us know what you hear”

“I think we should all break down our rifles and clean em before anything” Mel suggested.

The group let out a collective sigh. “Alright…” Zack concurred. Everyone started getting up with Erica skipping away first to go help out. The rest of them started trudging to the building. Mel almost forgot, but then whispered in Zack’s ear “Oh yah Zack, can I talk to you quick?”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charles never took a spear, his machetes were his babies. His heavy boots boomed as he ran across the roofs and hoods of cars leaving more than his share of dents in them. Starr was right behind him as they sprinted to Chen and Jamal. The two were trapped. Enough weight from the mass of Zeds moved the truck the two of them were standing on. A third man with them had already attempted to jump over the throng of Zeds to another car only to have one grab his boot sending him smashing into a windshield then rolling down into the mass of flesh eaters to a grisly death.

Chen was jabbing away with his spear penetrating skulls as best he could, but for every one he took down, two more appeared. Jamal was useless as his spear was nowhere in sight. He was just kicking at the Zeds, but it was having little effect from his angle and height. If he stomped down the chances of him falling was extremely high. The screech of vehicles being pushed around on their rims across pavement was coming from all around the compound. The sound was like daggers to the ears. The Zeds seemed to be making a huge push to the compound today. Charles stopped to get a bearing on his surroundings. There were Zeds crushing each other into mush just to keep forging ahead to try and get through the maze. It was a disturbing canvas of death.

Charles started running again leaping across a gap between vehicles landing in the middle of the roof. As he turned around Starr was in the air barely landing on the edge. He quickly grabbed her outstretched arm to stop her from falling backwards. They took off again finally making it near the two stranded men. “Hold on guys!” Charles yelled. Jamal looked petrified while Chen was soaked in sweat and body fluids. Each thrust of his spear looked weaker as fatigue was setting in. Charles started swiping at the Zeds skulls hacking into them with ease. The bodies were piling up so that the Zeds could reach out and grab at the men’s ankles.

“Fuck this!” Starr yelled pulling out her revolvers. She started blasting away at the Zeds between them and the two men. Jamal kicked at one of the Zeds arms only to slip on some coagulated blood. He flew up in the air then slammed down on his back. While he was still on the truck roof his legs were not. A Zed pulled down then bit his ankle. Luckily the soda bottle protected him, but he couldn’t get up. The Zeds started grabbing onto him pulling him down as he screamed for help. Starr tried to thin out the crowd, but it was too late. They kept yanking down on him until their jaws could reach past his protectors biting into his exposed thighs. Blood sprayed out as he screamed in agony. His cries for mercy almost rattled even Charles. Chen shed a tear “love you man” then stabbed him through the forehead. Jamal’s body was dragged down to the ground to be fed on.

Charles changed tactics leaving the Zeds alive hacking off their arms instead “Fuck this were losing here! Jump to me and I’ll catch you!” Charles yelled out to Chen. Luckily Chen was a small, skinny Asian man. Charles could easily handle the weight “Starr push on my back just to make sure we all don’t go flying to our death!” Starr holstered her weapons following orders. Chen launched his spear as far as he could toward the compound in hopes of retrieving it. He went to the far side of the roof crushing Zed fingers in the process. With all his strength he ran then launched himself over the shredded arms of the dead. With no hands to grab him thanks to Charles, Chen landed into him easily and Starr was barely able to stop herself from sliding off the roof.

“Holy shit, thanks man” Chen said exhausted.

“No sweat, let’s get you the hell back.”

The three of them hustled back to the compound. When they got back on the wall Charles looked out over the chaos. Zeds were overwhelming the maze. The weight of all those bodies dead or not was pushing the vehicles around like toys. It was now impossible to move the dead bodies out of the mess allowing the Zeds to climb on top of their fallen comrades over top the cars. This place was FUBAR.

Alex came running up to them “Shit I was asleep for three hours and look at this mess! Erica told me we’ve lost at least ten people in that time!”
“We’re fucked. We can’t wait until tonight. If they get to this wall they will be able to get in. On top of that the bodies will just keep piling up. We need to change plans now!” Charles said full of anger.

Chen looked overwhelmed “I’ve never seen anything like this.”

Suddenly Dillon snuck up on them “I agree. If Lance tries to stop us, just break his fucking nose.”

“I think he’s right” Starr said.

Alex rubbed her forehead “Alright let’s go see Calvin. I think the council is meeting now anyways.”

The five of them headed back down to the ground heading for the back of the building where the council meets. Before they even got halfway there gunfire erupted from where the council meets. The five of them stopped in their tracks looking at one another in confusion.

“Fuck it come on!” Chen yelled as he ran ahead of them. Alex shrugged and the rest ran after him. Dillon did his best to keep up. When Chen turned the corner gun shots went off then Chen fell backwards on the ground coughing up blood. Alex yelled for everyone to hold up drawing her sidearm. Everyone else did the same.

“On me!” She yelled out to them. Charles and Starr flanked each side of her while Dillon watched their six. Alex got to the edge of the building looking over at Chen. He was clearly done for. She peaked around the corner immediately feeling sick to her stomach. Lance, Manny and a large group of people with guns were standing over Calvin, Maureen, Shironda, and a few other people who all had bullet holes in their skulls, execution style. The only other one left on her knees was Paige. She looked defiant as Manny held a gun to the back of her head “Paige we need you. Be a good little girl or else we’ll just find another doctor.”

“Fuck off” was her reply.

Alex turned back to her people keeping her voice to a whisper “Fuck this place is done for. We need to get our rifles, now.” The loss of Calvin stung her a bit as he would’ve been a great addition to the group. Shironda was also a great girl, growing to be an efficient Zed killer, what a waste.

The four of them ran toward their vehicles hoping to get there before Lance and his crew came out to subdue the whole compound. As they ran people were yelling at them wondering what was going on. Alex ignored them all as they high tailed it to the vehicles. Dillon lagged behind, but told them to keep going on. Alex and Charles kept running full speed, but Starr slowed down to push him along. Before any of them got to the vehicles they had bullets whizzing past their heads. Starr and Dillon hit the deck behind a pile of building materials while Alex and Charles kept going for the vehicles. Starr and Dillon returned fire with their side arms to at least make their attackers take cover and focus on them.

Finally Zack, Glen and Mel appeared out of Wal-Mart with rifles taking up positions by the edge of the building. Dillon was about to wonder where the others were when he saw Ted and Sal run around the other side of the building to outflank Lance’s group . Sarah and Sofia hopefully still had the children inside somewhere. It didn’t take long before gun fire broke out from where Sal and Ted had run to clearly meeting resistance from the enemy who wanted to outflank them. By now Alex and Charles got to the vehicle’s pulling out gear. Other people unaligned seemed to be lost in chaos. Some got hit in the cross fire left to lie bleeding on the ground. Dillon saw Mel scream for Erica who was out in the open, but it was too late. Dillon watched Erica take a round in the throat collapsing to the ground clasping her neck. Eventually she dropped to the ground; all he could do was watch her choke on her own blood as the life extinguished from her eyes. Others were running to the wall or back inside Wal-Mart to get away. Then the people outside the walls started coming back as well. Most just hit the deck unsure of who to attack, but some took shots at Alex and her group thinking they were the aggressors. Alex mowed them down easy enough with her M-16.

Without warning a grenade went flying towards Zack, Glen, and Mel’s position. One of their own grenades they traded away. Dillon yelled out to them helping them take notice. As it landed Dillon saw the three of them run to a broken down car. The explosion ripped through the scene sending concrete and dirt into the air. Mel and Glen were nowhere to be seen. Zack quickly appeared again firing over the hood of the car with blood flowing down part of his face from a head wound. Hopefully the other two were just dazed.

Dillon looked back as he heard Alex screaming expletives at the attackers. She took a bullet in the vest then knelt down. When she came back up it appeared she was, but now had a rocket launcher at the ready. She fired it at the front line of Lance’s gang. It exploded at their feet near many of them sending body parts and people flying through the air. Those that survived, but were scathed dropped their weapons raising their arms in surrender. The gun fire stopped on their side, but was still loud from where Sal was. Then after a few seconds those that had surrendered were gunned down, seemingly by their own people that were in hiding behind the building. Apparently surrender wasn’t an option.

Alex ran to where Mel went down while Charles brought rifles and ammo to Dillon and Starr. The three of them spread out advancing to the back of the building. If anyone tried showing their face they were met with a barrage of bullets on auto-fire. When they reached the back of the building without incident Dillon took point being the better shot with a rifle. He saw Manny, Lance, and a couple men with rifles behind the cheap wood that use to be the meeting shack. They still had Paige hostage. Suddenly shots came from the other side of the building striking one of the random men in the head killing him instantly. Dillon knew it was Sal. When they turned their guns firing at where they thought Sal was, Dillon unleashed on them killing one more of the men and injuring another. Lance immediately held up his arms yelling out that he surrenders. Manny wasn’t going out so easily. He yanked Paige up holding a gun to her head quickly backing up towards the wall. Dillon stepped out quickly approaching Manny “Give it up asshole.” Sal, Starr, and Charles all joined him keeping their weapons trained on the hostage taker and Lance.

“Back off pendejo! I’ll kill the bitch!”

“If you kill her you’re a dead man. If you let her go we can come to an agreement” Dillon lied.

Manny had a crazy look to him as he eyed everyone “No way! All you leave! Just go! You’ve ruined everything!”

“Not happening that way Manny. I’m not leaving Paige in your hands.”

Manny looked like he was about to crack. He slowly backed his way to the wall with Dillon and Starr following him. Moving up the ramp he stood at the top of the wall with hatred in his eyes. Suddenly Starr threw down her rifle confusing the man drawing her revolvers too quick for Manny to register what was happening, She quickly fired hitting Manny in the arm making him drop his weapon and then she hit him in the side of the head. He released Paige while falling backwards off the wall to the ground below. Paige immediately ran to Dillon balling her eyes out.

Dillon tried soothing her, but quickly handed her to Starr turning his attention to Lance “Mother fucker!” he limped quickly over to him slamming the butt of his rifle into the man’s skull.

He yelped out in pain falling to the ground, then got back onto his knees with blood trickling down his face “This is my territory! I had every right to take control…I’m the ranking politici…” Bam! A gunshot went off putting a hole through Lance’s eye socket and out the other side. The body collapsed to the ground leaving a growing pool of blood around the head. Dillon wasn’t shocked at all by the gunshot looking up to see Alex “How’s Mel?”

Alex had tears in her eyes “She’s fine…just a bit banged up. I thought she was fucked, but most of the blood on her was from Glen….snap Paige out of her hysteria, she has work to do. ”

“Sal where’s Ted?” Charles asked.

Sal cleared his throat “He took a few shots in the vest then they got him in the thigh and arm. He’ll live, but needs patching up…”

Alex held her head “This was supposed to be a rest stop, not a battle zone. Fuck. I’ll get Sarah on him. Get Paige to Mel, Glen, and Zack as soon as possible. I’ll do what I can in the meantime.”

Starr and Dillon coaxed Paige back to the front of the compound while Charles stayed behind to see if anyone was left alive. He came across one woman named Betty who was slowly dying of internal bleeding. She was one of Lance’s people, Charles plunged a knife into her head. Next was a man with multiple bullet wounds. Even while the color was draining from him he managed to curse Charles who put the man down as well. No one else was left. They either died of critical wounds or bled out. Next he picked up a tarp and place Maureen, Calvin, and Shironda’s bodies underneath it “Rest now. You all earned it.”

Charles looked around at the senseless bloodshed. It was a waste of human life. His suspicion of Lance and Manny’s incompetence was right on it seems. Their attempt and strategy for taking over the compound was horrid. It looks like they watched too many action movies thinking they could just go guns blazing by subpar shooters to take out a smaller force. Looking at Lance he just realized no one looked to confirm Manny was dead for sure. He bee lined it for the top of the wall where the idiot fell and looked down. Manny was nowhere to be seen….
"My zombies will never take over the world because I need the humans. The humans are the ones I dislike the most, and they're where the trouble really lies." - George A. Romero

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:58 am

Damn that was one hell of an update!! But why you have to kill off some cool characters! Lol
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:19 pm

Halfapint wrote:Damn that was one hell of an update!! But why you have to kill off some cool characters! Lol
I agree! I was hoping for a Lance/Manny showdown, and some of the good guys joining with our friends. I just hope Mary and Manny don't become King and Queen Mutant.

Azraelsjudgement

Post by Azraelsjudgement » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:19 pm

Don't worry the group is not leaving the compound with the same number they entered with :wink:

Azraelsjudgement

Post by Azraelsjudgement » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Alex finished bandaging Zack’s head wound. It was just a gash from some shrapnel. Meanwhile Paige was working on sewing Glen up. Apparently all the blood on him made it look worse than it really was. Some shrapnel had to be yanked out of his ass and thighs, but otherwise he would live. Mel only suffered a sprained arm and some scratches from Glen falling on top of her. Thanks to him she was protected from the blast. Sarah had reported Ted would be okay, but would need to be on rest for a while. The bullet in his leg went right through, but the one in his arm had to be pulled out causing more pain then the original wound.

After battle wounds were taken care of Alex gathered everyone in the compound. There really weren’t many people left from the compound. Alex informed them her group, Paige, and Glen was taking the dump truck away from here. Most of the people seemed to be in too much shock to give a shit. They had given into their own depression, content to stay put until death came for them. Alex didn’t have the time or patience to convince them to leave. Only two other people were coming with them. Joker who Sal saved one day and a woman named Lena who no one really knew too well. She was a tall dark skinned muscular woman who never said much. She had dreads, numerous tattoos covering her body, and always had a stone cold look about her. She did handle herself well outside the walls though.

Alex touched her chest where the bullet hit her vest. A nice sized bruise was forming there and hurt like hell. Looking up on the wall she saw Charles gazing out towards the dump truck. She was dreading looking for herself, but jogged up to take a gander. It wasn’t surprising to see that the Zeds were closing in on all sides. It was going to be tough getting across the sea of dead. There was no time to let anyone heal, they had to get moving.

Alex patted Charles on the shoulder “Alright time to rock n roll. Let’s get the rockets and grenades ready. Soda bottles on everyone’s ankles. I’m sure the blasts won’t kill everything we’ll need to walk over top of crippled corpses’ biting at our feet. We’re gonna piss away a lot of ammunition.…”

Charles laughed “Fuck. I don’t care if we piss away all our ammunition. Just get me the hell out of here.”

“I’m with ya. Let’s get moving. “

Alex ran back to everyone “Alright pack up! We’re blowing this joint! Organize with Charles!”

Alex ran to the Mercedes. She was sad to see it go, but nothing could be done about it now. Opening the back door all the explosives they had were lying in wait. Dillon, Starr, and Sal came up to her “Alright grab whatever you can carry. You’re gonna rain down hellfire and lead the charge. I’m carrying Jordan and Melody. Paige will carry Ariel.” The three nodded grabbing the explosives then took their lead positions on top of the wall waiting for everyone to get ready. Paige had made make shift stretchers to carry Glen and Ted. Zack and Lena would carry Ted, while Sofia and Joker carried Glen. Everyone else would take the rear behind them to keep the Zeds at bay…hopefully.

It took a little over an hour for the group to prep and gear up then they all lined up in formation ready to take the longest walk of their lives. Alex took a deep breath. She had Jordan and Melody with earplugs in and their eyes covered with a bandana. They protested at first, but Alex put a quick end to that. She held them close to her chest trying to push out images of herself tripping taking over her mind.

Alex said a quick prayer in her head “Alright unload!”

Starr fired her rocket to the right, Dillon down the middle, and Sal to the left. Explosions ripped through the scene in front of them. All three hid their faces as carnage erupted. Broken bodies and vehicles shot out in all directions. Fires started and were spreading over the dried out bodies of the dead along with the flammable liquids in the vehicles. The three in the lead took off down the ramp into the lake of fire and death without hesitation. They had their rifles at the ready, immediately meeting Zed resistance they started clearing a path for everyone.

Alex and Paige followed them down with the wounded being carried right behind them. With the fires spread out Zeds outside the blast range were catching fire, but not going down immediately. It was horrific and the smells were….disturbing. Alex watched as the three in the lead unloaded their rifles, there was also gun fire coming from those in the back. Zeds were clumsily trying to close in on all sides, but with the wreckage of cars in the way they were slower than usual.

Alex could feel the kids shivering in her arms. It was hot as hell out with fires raging around them. They were scared, but so was she. Suddenly something latched onto her ankle almost tripping her to the ground. Barely managing to regain her balance Alex looked down to see a torso of what was once a man with melted skin. He had one arm and no lower jaw, but it didn’t stop him from trying to eat her. Stomping down on its wrist she broke its grip and continued forward. Paige was sticking closer and closer as they moved on. The woman was not used to being outside the walls, that much was evident. Suddenly Dillon yelled out “halt” then launched a grenade then ducking down with Starr and Sal behind a car, Alex followed suit.

Alex could feel the sweat pouring down her face; it was mixing in with the smoke and ash to create black streaks. She couldn’t help but look at the ground not far from her face. She watched as the dark colored sweat dripped down into the rivers of gore and motor oil mixing to create streams of death. The ground was an orgy of flesh and metal combining to create a field from hell….Suddenly Paige tapped her on the shoulder, she was so lost in thought the grenade blast didn’t even register. Alex quickly popped up and climbed over the car in front of her trying not to fall.

They were making headway crossing the parking lot. Dodging flames, broken Zeds, and sharp metal along the way. A scream behind her made her look back. Sarah had fallen in a mess of broken bodies, but wasn’t being attacked. Mel forcefully picked her back up and they got moving again. Alex was proud of the young lady. The younger and oldest crowds seem to adjust quickest to the new world.

After a few more minutes of working their way through the destroyed maze they finally made it to the edge, but beyond the dump truck another wave of Zeds were coming. The three in the front line charged for the truck. Starr jumped in while Sal and Dillon knelt down to hold the line. Alex and Paige were right behind them. After getting Paige and the three kids into the cab with Starr, Alex joined the fray. Her mind became focused as she held the M-16 up taking her first shots.

Starr started up the truck slowly backing it up to a broken down Humvee so people could climb up from the back. There was a rope ladder already added recently for an easy way into the back of the truck. Charles and Joker climbed up first to pull up the injured then the women. Charles yelled out to the three who were slowly backing up as they fired as the next wave of Zeds was barely being slowed down.

Alex yelled back up “Did you get the gear we already brought out last night!”

“Shit!!” Charles yelled. Him and Joker jumped backed down running to the truck that held the gear. They had to take down wandering Zeds before they could unload. They carried the first crate to the truck passing it up to Zack and Lena. “We’re running out of time, grab one more crate then we’re outta here!”

Charles and Joker ran back. There were three crates left, but he remembered which one had most of the ammo for the rifles in it picking that one. The rest of the rockets, grenades, silencers, glocks, 9mm ammo, food, and water were among the stuff being left behind. At least the 9mm shouldn’t be hard to replace. The explosives were going to sting, but bullets were much more important. Charles and Joker got the crate to the truck as the Zeds were almost on top of Alex, Sal, and Dillon. Sal went up first followed by Alex. Dillon barely got onto the Humvee with dead finger tips just hitting his back heel then immediately jumped onto the rope ladder. Charles banged on the side three times which was the sign for Starr to take off.

The truck surged forward crushing the fragile living corpses below its large tires. The pulp made out of the bodies caused more than a few people to become nauseous that were able to witness it in the back of the truck. Everyone was sitting down worried about the future. Their food and water rations were dangerously low now. Alex at least had the formula spread out through people packs in case not everyone made it. They had some food in the first crate; otherwise everyone had water and MREs for a few days in their personal packs. They also couldn’t travel around in this dump truck exposed to the elements, not to mention the fuel and maintenance required. Besides the different rifle ammo and spare weaponry they were starting from scratch. Alex was happy she still had her M107, but only had about 50 rounds for it now. Her uncle would have plenty of ammo, food, water, and explosives though. Now they just had to get there in one piece.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It wasn’t too long before night fell over the landscape. Traveling had proved difficult. As big and tough as the dump truck was it wasn’t a monster truck. Getting by wreckage or around it without damaging the truck wasn’t fun for Starr. The last thing they needed was to breakdown surrounded by armies of Zeds. They were flocking to the truck like a moth to the flame. Starr had to keep taking deep breaths as she was only given the basic lessons on how to even drive the thing; Charles was supposed to be the one in here, not her. Luckily they still had the radios so she has been in contact with him to keep her focused. Once they got out of Greenport they would be on less populated roads that could give them some free running room to get some distance from the throng of Zeds.

Starr looked down next to her at the two kids passed out on one another sleeping. Then Paige was soothing the baby on the other side of the cab has barely talked during the ride. She did seem pretty shaken up after the run to the truck. How she held onto the baby while she was shaking so much was a miracle in itself. The fact any one even made it to the truck is astonishing. There were so many Zeds to put down it was mind altering to say the least. The carnage would leave a scar on her forever; escaping the images was not an option. They were a part of her now…

Starr tried to focus on other things such as Dillon. Her attraction to him was growing, but he was clearly still stuck on Alex. There were no other men that interested her so a sit back and see what happens attitude was the way she was going. Alex has seemed cold lately. Starr expected her to at least threaten her or treat her badly for her friendship and flirting with Dillon, but nothing ever happened. Alex’s attitude toward her was the same as others in the group. Starr wasn’t sure if that was a good sign or a sign Alex was plotting her death. A frustrated sigh escaped from her mouth making Paige look over at her “You…ok?”

Starr cleared her throat “Yah of course, just my mind going bonkers on me. This is the most stressed out drive of my life.”

Paige looked out the window “Understandable. Sorry I haven’t been much of a conversationalist. This is all just…overwhelming….”

“Shit you’re telling me.”

Paige looked over at Starr with a slight smirk “I guess that was stating the obvious. The walls just felt so safe. I thought we would build a new society right there at the once hated Wal-Mart. I never even shopped there. I just happen to be at Lowes with my…..well anyways I hated Wal-Mart and it ended up being my home at least temporarily…”

“Wal-Mart was my third home. The bar was my first and my shitty apartment was my second.”

“I could use a bar right about now. The hospital was my home. The same one we’ll be coming up on soon. I had the evening shift so I wasn’t there….all the people who prolly rushed there for safety….I bet it was a massacre….”

Starr didn’t know what to say to that. Hospital, police, and schools are places that people probably fled to only to meet their doom. Up ahead she saw the blue H sign for hospital. As the headlights illuminated countless Zeds and their dead faces Starr had to stop the massive machine as she came upon Paige’s hospital. The place had burned down and collapsed blocking both roadways around it “Shit…” she whispered.

Paige had tears streaming down her face “My…my God. What the hell happened…?”

“I don’t know, but we’re blocked. Looks like the road up ahead will also go back the direction we just came. Might as well give it a try…”

Paige wiped her face “Yah I think there’s a cemetery up ahead with a narrow road that will get us away from here. Just not sure if the truck will fit”

“Hell, let’s give it a go.”

Starr slowly drove through a stop sign taking a left to find Paige’s road. The bodies crunching underneath the truck was becoming normal now. She couldn’t imagine how the people in the back must feel….
Dillon leaned back against the hard metal. Everyone in back was extremely uncomfortable especially the wounded. Rocking back and forth sitting on metal meant to hold piles of rock and dirt wasn’t fun. At least the sun was down so that the heat wasn’t pounding on them anymore or heating up the metal. Thanks to a few people keeping headlamps on the glow barely lit up the dead chasing after them. It was like a resident evil game, but with much better graphics. The Zeds had no hope of reaching up to grab their human food, but that didn’t seem to stop them from trying. The sound of crunching bones was becoming normal enough Dillon forget it was dead bodies being crushed under the truck.

No one was really talking anymore besides Alex, Sal, and Charles. They had a map out constantly tracing new routes and marking where routes were closed off. They kept saying something about an RV dealership to hit up before they crossed the bridge. That would certainly offer mobile vehicles to sleep or even for the wounded and sick to rest.

Dillon dozed off for a while until the truck braked hard again waking him. To his surprise Alex was sitting next to him “Uh hey Alex.”

“You ever think back on when we first met?” She asked.

“Hard not to being that it was the beginning of this mess. Plus some hot chick with a gun saving my ass is also tough to forget....”

Alex smirked “Thought you were just some punk kid at first....but you grew on me fast...."The smile faded from her face "Anyways it seems like ages ago now. When it was just months ago and here its now the end of July and things have changed drastically…. When it was just the two of us and the kids…it seemed natural, us being together I mean. But now…I don’t know. It feels forced” she said sadly.

Dillon felt sick taking a deep breath “I don’t think your forcing us; I think your forcing yourself away.”

Alex was silent for a minute “Maybe.” She looked at him seriously now “I need to concentrate on leading this group. I don’t know about the future….I do love you Dillon. I just…can’t do it anymore….”

Dillon felt pain in his chest, but he didn’t show it “If that’s what you want. I’ll support you as always.” Hell he would still die for her.

Alex got up “Thank you.” Then she started walking when Dillon spoke up “I love you too.” Alex looked back with a solemn smile then tried keeping her balance as she headed back to Sal. When she got over Sal gave him a strong nod as if saying stay strong bud. Dillon nodded back feeling kind of lost wondering what his role was in the group now…
Lena sat in a corner with Joker. They both felt out of place with these new people, but to be away from Manny and Lance’s mess was worth it. After Manny tried to rape her one night she beat his ass. Why he thought he could take her on was insulting, but after that encounter she was on outside the wall duty on a regular basis, on his orders of course. He wanted her dead, but was too chicken shit to do it himself. Lena didn’t care; it just made her stronger fighting the Zed all the time. She became more muscular, better with sharp weapons, and even learned how to use different types of guns thanks to Calvin. She would miss him most of all. They had a ‘friends with benefits’ relationship that no one knew about, but she was falling for him. If Manny was alive she would gut him herself.

Joker tapped her on the shoulder “Lena girl, yous doin it again.”

Lena looked down at her hand. She was flipping around her butterfly knife without realizing it again. Anytime she was deep in thought it seemed to find its way into her hand “Oh sorry” she put it away.

“My ass kills” Joker complained.

Lena stretched “Mines too numb to hurt. Can’t wait to get back on the ground.”

“For real.”

“What ya think of these guys?” she whispered.

“They aight. Ole man Sal saved me ass one day. Killa he is.”

Lena sighed “I really wish you’d learn English Joker. They seem to have a good vibe. Calvin trusted them….fucking Lance.”

“Lance wazza bitch. Calvin and Paige shoulda been like King and Queen or sumthing.”

Lena laughed “Yah or something.”

Lena watched as Sal, Charles, and Alex were going over maps and talking to the Starr girl on the radio. It seemed they were about to turn on a narrow road. Right away she could feel the bumps and shaking of the truck as all four wheels were uneven. They seemed to be going ahead though. Everyone wanted out of this truck. The next ten minutes was brutal on everyone’s bodies. Lena did her best to hold onto Joker to stabilize herself, but was still getting smacked around. She could feel the bruises forming all over her body. After what seemed like an eternity they finally got onto another main road that leads out of town. The truck took off picking up pace. The Zeds were slowly starting to fall behind. There were some cars in the road, but the truck had more room to maneuver off the road with no sidewalks or ditches in the way. It didn’t take long to come to an intersection that had a few accidents, but not much Zed activity.

The truck parked and Charles jumped out then Starr came climbing in. Lena wasn’t surprised to see her sit next to the Dillon guy. Lena saw Alex look at them briefly then stand up “Alright everyone. We’re close to the bridge, but first we need new wheels. We’re gonna grab some RVs and a few other vehicles for a convoy then we are gonna cross the bridge hopefully having a smoother ride to the Catskills. Any questions?”

Lena was curious about their destination as little has been told to her so she spoke up “Yah so your uncle why do you think his place is safe?”

Alex smirked “Well he could prolly kick all our asses; he’s always been a bit paranoid with many connections in the military where he was a Colonel. Last time I knew he had working Vietnam era tanks, truck, and jeeps. He also has a well sizeable collection of weapons. He prepped for many scenarios and if he isn’t thriving then I doubt anyone is….”
Lena was skeptical some old retired soldier was fighting off the apocalypse, but what the hell “Alright sounds good.”

Joker raised his hand “Um so like how much longa we gotsta be in da truck?”

Alex raised her eyebrow trying to figure out what he said “Uh…oh, oh we’re almost there. Prolly in fifteen. Anyone else?”

Everyone shook their head so Alex smacked the side of the truck three times and they took off again. Lena noticed the mood of the group perk up, happy to almost be done with this ride….

selen

Post by selen » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:11 am

Great update AJ.Thanks a lot:))

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:52 pm

thanks for the update as usual very good!!!

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:08 pm

It sounds like Alex is feeling rather overwhelmed at the moment. Too bad they had to leave behind so much gear too. I hope they can put Mary and her mutants out of business for good. Maybe it will be a case of "kill the queen, kill the hive."

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:34 pm

I think it's time to gather the Moar Zombies. I can't believe they've gone so long without their dose of moarphine!

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:18 pm

mariposa wrote:I think it's time to gather the Moar Zombies. I can't believe they've gone so long without their dose of moarphine!
Or gather up the zombie poop, and move on. Yeah shit happens when you get overwhelmed. :ohdear:

Azraelsjudgement

Post by Azraelsjudgement » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:47 am

Heh it has been sitting in rough draft mode for a week. You guys pushed me to do my edits. Here you go and happy Super Bowl!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex, Charles, Lena, and Sofia entered the fenced off RV lot after shooting off the lock. All other capable people were left on the outside to silently put down Zeds wandering to them from the noise of the dump truck. Alex felt regretful that after it saved their lives it would now probably rust away where it was left parked. At least it served a bigger purpose.

As they entered the RV Park everyone had their mounted lights on creating shadows all around them. The world was enveloped in darkness thanks to the thick cloud cover obstructing the moon light. The wind had picked up some making it sound like the shadows were Zeds moving across the ground. The noises were only broken branches and garbage strewn about. There was an door open somewhere further away that was opening and closing shut on creaky hinges adding to the eeriness of the landscape.

Alex slowly led the team forward between the maze of RVs. The building that would have the keys was in the back of the lot. Alex was pretty sure there was at least one human or Zed around. The top of the barbwire fence had a blanket on top of it so someone could climb over. They may have left the same way, but better safe than sorry. They had to move slowly making sure each gap was clear before moving ahead.

As they neared the main building without incident there was an RV up ahead with an open door along with food wrappers on the ground directly in front of it. Alex halted the group and thought she heard something inside the vehicle. She waved Charles forward with his machetes as she backed him up switching to her glock. Just as he was about to take a look inside a Zed tumbled down the stairs causing Charles to fall backwards on his ass to dodge it. The Zed was pathetic looking. It was once a man, now frail and bony. It wasn’t dead long as its skin was covered in fresh boils. Its eyes were also sunken in, the man clearly died of starvation or dehydration not long ago. Alex put a bullet through its head “Musta been hiding in this RV, why he would starve instead of at least trying to go looking for food is a mystery to me.”

“Some people just give up…” Charles responded. Alex just nodded in agreement.

As they got to the main entrance to the store they all heard a scrapping noise against the metal wall of the building. It seemed to be coming from the right side. They just waited patiently for it to come closer. Eventually another starved dead person, this one a woman, came wandering around the corner. It fell over its own feet when it saw them. It struggled to try and get back up again. Lena walked over putting it out if its misery “I couldn’t imagine dying like that…”

“It prolly has happened many times since the world went to hell…..” Sofia commented.

Lena looked at her “Yah…guess that’s called survival of the fittest…”

“Actually nature is more survival of the most adaptable. We’ve adapted to the new world…not everyone can…” Alex corrected.

“True.” Charles added.

“Alright....let’s go inside” Alex commanded.

The front door was unlocked and it was clear the place had been rummaged through. Most likely the people from outside had searched for anything useful in the place. After finding no signs of any more Zeds Alex found the keys “Charles pick two since you know the most about these things.”

Charles studied the well labeled keys. It was like a kid in a candy shop, but he had to be practical. Finally he chose two “Alright I think we should take the Sunstar motor home for a mobile medical ward and this smaller Citation for the kids.”

“Alright. Charles and Sofia go find the two RVs while I check on the front gate.”

Alex and Lena headed back to the front where everything seemed to be quiet. Everyone was standing around looking vigilant though “Alright the place is clear. We just need to get some gas together to fill these suckers. In the meantime why don’t Sal, Starr, and Dillon check around for other vehicles we can use. The rest of you guard the truck.” Everyone nodded in agreement and set to their tasks.
Sal led the way with Dillon and Starr flanking him. The RV dealership was on a corner of two main roads, but the area was still rural. There were a few vehicles sitting further down on the road to check out. One side of the road was trees waving in the wind and the other side an open field that had a few Zeds traversing the tall grass and brush further away. Nothing they had to worry about right now. When they finally got to the vehicles in the road all but one seemed to be involved in some kind of accident. The one that looked nice was a newer blue Equinox. As they approached the driver side it was clear the door was open. Why the person exited the vehicle was unclear until Dillon looked inside. In the back was an infant car seat and movement from it. The car smelled of death so it was clear what was in the seat. Dillon looked at Sal “Dude I can’t.”

Sal nodded going around and opening the back door. He took a deep breath then undid the car seat. He quickly carried it out by the bushes. Dillon saw Sal plunge the knife down then say a few words. He walked back without saying anything. Dillon got in the driver seat turning the key still in the ignition. The engine protested at first then started up. The fuel gauge read three quarters of a tank. Sal and Starr hopped in then he slowly started driving down the road to look for more vehicles.

Eventually they came upon a house with an older red Explorer in the driveway. The green ranch style house was pitch dark and looked to need new siding in a bad way. Starr searched the Explorer for keys, but didn’t find any. Sal led them to the front door. The metal screen door made all kinds of squeaking noises. There seemed to be movement in the wooded area around the house so Sal quickly breeched the house sweeping his light around the living room they walked into. There was nothing there though. Starr and Dillon came in behind him then shut and locked the door.

They searched the main floor finding no one alive or dead, just empty food and water containers. They didn’t find any keys though. They had ignored the basement door, but decided to check it out. Sal swung the door open becoming blasted with the stench of death. They all coughed then prepared themselves to enter. Starr took the lead this time being she could climb down the stairs easier. The wooden boards protested at the weight of the three people causing a lot of noise. Nothing came looking for them though. When Starr got to the bottom she saw why. There were two adults and two children with gunshot wounds to the head. It looked like the male shot the other three then ate the gun himself. It was a sad scene, but not anymore gruesome then they were getting accustomed too. Starr checked the man’s pockets finding the car keys immediately dangling them in the air to show her find. Just as they were about to head up they heard a window upstairs shatter.

“What was that?” Starr asked.

Sal groaned “Trouble”.

“I’ll take the lead” Dillon offered. No one protested. As he got to the top of the stairs he stopped then leaned one way then the other to see as much as possible, but there was no movement. Dillon motioned he was going left and for the next person which was Sal to go right. Counting with his fingers up to three he went left then Sal immediately went right. Starr came up in the middle checking all angles. There was nothing yet.

Dillon could feel the sweat start to form as his anxiety grew “Alright Sal you slowly walk to the front door and I’ll follow walking backwards. Starr you look out everywhere in case we miss anything. As Sal turned the corner his light revealed the large living room window was now shattered, but no sign of what did it. Starr was sweeping all around, even above their heads in case some new nightmare was stalking them. Dillon kept his eyes peeled straight behind them, waiting for anything to appear in his light. As Starr swept around the room no one thought to shine a light into the fireplace. Without warning a small creature appeared out of the darkness slamming right into Starr. She went flying across the room crashing into the ground “FUCK!” she yelled out. Her rifle shot from her hands in midair causing it to circle in the air, the light ended up blinding Sal. He jerked back in protest causing his own light to fly around the room confusing Dillon as he thought Sal was aiming at the attacker.

Starr struggled with some kind of small, but strong creature as it snapped at her face. Just as Sal was adjusting his vision a second creature appeared in the window jumping on him in his moment of vulnerability. As it grabbed him he managed to use his rifle to stop it from biting him pushing against its throat. Dillon finally assessed the situation lowering his rifle as he didn’t want to risk shooting Sal or Starr. Pulling his knife he went to Starr’s aid first. She was rolling around on the ground holding a creature by its shoulders as it tried to bite her face off “Get off me you freak!” Dillon took his knife stabbing it between the shoulder blades. It screeched then launched off its feet flipping through the air onto Dillon’s shoulders. It slashed the side of his face as he grabbed its ankles. Ignoring the pain he flung it by the leg into the brick fireplace. It stopped moving.

Starr was already going to the aid of Sal putting the beast in a full nelson. It squirmed and protested, but was helpless even with its strength. Sal pointed his light at it then froze at the sight. It was one of the twins lost not long ago or at least what use to be one of the twins. It looked like a baby mutant now.

“Sal I can’t hold it forever!” Starr yelled. Dillon now saw what made Sal freeze and quickly plunged the knife into the child’s skull a few times until it finally broke through. The body immediately went limp and Starr dropped it to the ground. When he turned to kill the other one it was gone.

“Shit. I guess we know what happened to them now….” Sal said solemnly.

“Poor little things…” Starr said fighting back tears.

“No time to dwell. Let’s get the fuck outta here” Dillon told them.

As they exited the house an arrow flew through the air striking the other twin as it was leaping off the roof at Starr. Instead it dropped dead just behind her with the arrow sticking out where the heart would be. Dillon raised his rifle at a small statured human man with a bow and an arrow at the ready. He was partially hiding behind the explorer “I come in peace or some shit.”

“Thanks for the help, but can you lower your weapon” Sal suggested.

The man lowered the weapon “Done.”

“Who are you?” Dillon asked as he plunged his knife into the twin’s skull before she revived as a Zed.

“Just call me Tibs. I was the one of the people in the group you stopped to help on the road one day….”

The group approached him to get a better look, he smelled gross even at their distance. The man was real short probably pushing fifty years old. He had a long orange beard and was bald. His green eyes had dark circles around them and his face was covered with scars. The man’s clothing seem to be upgraded since they saw him last. He was wearing all camo with a black hunting vest and what looked like a homemade leather quiver full of arrows on his back. He did have some kind of gunk all over himself though.

“Shit man…we saw your group…what…” Dillon couldn’t finish before the man held up his hand “I know we died because of your groups beef with those freaks, but I don’t blame you at all. Right after you left we were grabbed. The others were killed off quickly, but that bitch kept me around to play with. My body is proof of her sadistic games…anyways I escaped one day….then tracked you guys hoping to join up.”

Sal shrugged “Well you can tag along then talk with Alex, but I don’t see why not. How’d you keep away from the mutants anyway?”

“Thanks. The uh mutants aren’t very smart, but they can smell real good. I masked my scent with animals that I hunted. They only eat living things so I covered up in dead animal guts.”

“Ahhh that explains the smell” Starr commented.

“Yaaaaah sorry bout that.”

Sal nodded “Alright, no problem. Well we want to find one more vehicle before heading back. Why don’t you ride with me…well maybe you should sit in the way back” Sal suggested.
In the back of the main RV building there were gas pumps, but no power to use them. Luckily Charles found a generator that ran the complex. Unfortunately it didn’t work so after some TLC from Charles Alex got the pumps working and the RVs were ready to go. In the large Sunstar Paige and Sarah moved any medical supplies they had left into it along with Ted and Glen who would have to share the Queen Size bed as they healed. There was a television with a DVD player in the main living area, but no DVDs to watch right now. Zack was busy filling the water tanks from a hose so they can actually take showers and use indoor plumbing. Sarah was pretty giddy over that fact. It was decided everyone was going to shower before taking off then refill the tanks for use later.

Paige was frustrated at the lack of medical items once they were laid out, but they still had anti-biotics which was huge. They were also going to need sheets, pillows, blankets, clothes, toiletries etc. as all that stuff was left behind. It would all have to wait until they crossed the bridge though. There wasn’t much in the area before it besides a community college and a gas station according to the maps anyways. They could just break into houses, but everyone just wanted to get across the bridge to reach at least one milestone.

As everyone got organized and cleaned up they heard vehicles approaching. Alex watched as two SUVs and a corvette came pulling up to the gates. She already knew Dillon had to be in the vette. Mel and Joker were on guard duty opening the gate up for the three vehicles. A blue SUV pulled in first with Starr jumping out, then the black corvette pulled in, Dillon exited with a large smile shrugging his shoulders “What it’s not easy to find cars in bum fuck nowhere.” Alex rolled her eyes as Sal pulled in quickly noticing someone was in the far back of the vehicles. Sal got out “We have a guest.” He opened the back gate and a small man with a wild beard came out, she recognized him right away. Sal explained the story of what happened causing Alex to be sad at what happened to the twins, but glad at least one person survived Mary’s slaughter. Tibs was welcomed in seeming sincere and quickly pushed to the front of the line for a shower. They were going to toss his clothes, but Joker had a spare change of clothes that he offered. They would be a bit too big, but it was only temporary.

After everyone was cleaned up Alex called a meeting. Everyone stood around the Citation as she stood on top of it “Alright we have a new guest in Tibs over there. Everyone introduce themselves at some point. I am sad to announce the twin children we lost not long ago were turned into mutants and put down. At least we know they are resting in peace.” Sadness swept over the people who knew them, but at least they had closure. “We have five vehicles to separate everyone into. The Sunstar will be our medical base. It will be manned by Sarah, Paige, and Sofia at all times. Glen and Ted will be healing up in there for the time being. They will also be taking care of Ariel. The Citation will have me, Mel, Melody, and Jordan. The Explorer will have Charles, Sal, and Tibs. The Equinox will have Lena, Joker, and Zack.” Alex wasn’t fond of saying the next assignment, but it made too much sense. While she wasn’t jealous per say, she felt uncomfortable “And uh that leaves Dillon and Starr with the corvette. Any questions?”

Starr was shocked she was blatantly assigned with Dillon who had his own look of confusion, but she wasn’t complaining. Then she was curious of the vehicle order though “What’s the order of the convoy when we leave?”

“It’ll go Explorer, Citation, Sunstar, Equinox, and Vette. I want Charles and Sal to lead the way and you and Dillon to watch our backs. Anything else?”

Everyone was too tired to have any more questions “Alright then. I will be on watch tonight. Everyone else sleep until sunrise then we hit the road. Tomorrow we cross the bridge.”

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:15 pm

Alright great update!

Nancy1340

Post by Nancy1340 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:14 am

Thanks

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:55 pm

Thank you for the update. What happened to the twins was sad, but expected.

Return to “Fiction”