The Dead at Destitute Mountain

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

selen

Re: The Dead at Destitute Mountain

Post by selen » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:41 am

Please sir may we have some moar :D ???

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:32 am

Anxiously awaiting the March update .

AMC should turn this one into a series :!:
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:59 am

Hell, this should be a movie franchise...

Serious lack of action around here lately...maybe some producer discovered ZS and snatched up all these great stories for publication and movie rights.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:42 am

I almost didn't believe that this was a German boat tourist. Based on his pose I thought it was a deceased ZS author writing a story with his last breath :mrgreen:

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:01 pm

Bad form, dude. Death isn't something to be mocked.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:19 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:Bad form, dude. Death isn't something to be mocked.
I don't know if you actually read the story but Manfred Fritz Bajorat was an amazing guy. He has been sailiing the world for twenty years and seven years ago his wife died at only 53 years of age. I would swear that Manfred died of a broken heart.

He wrote a very short note to his wife before he died:

'Thirty years we're been together on the same path. Then the power of the demons was stronger than the will to live. You're gone. May your soul find its peace.
Your Manfred,'

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:32 pm

Mid March...starting to worry.

:ohdear:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:23 pm

Dear Tinderbox,

today my doctor lectured me quite vigorously because I have not been getting enough story lately. A great story is essential to the human mind and body. Therefore, making do with lesser stories affects my body's ability to function properly, dulls my mental alertness and causes loss of sleep. Even a temporary lack of a great story can affect my health, and ongoing deprivation is truly life threatening. My body functions best when I read about one new installment a week but monthly installments can prevent the onset of health issues.. Chronic story deprivation can interfere with balance, coordination, and decision-making abilities.

This is how I look today due to lack of story. (Shout out to the Denver DA's office for the recent photo of me!)

For instance, I might become so irritable that I start out by driving slow circles around your block until the car noisily clatters to a halt and stalls from lack of gas. Getting out the car with a vicious slam of the door, I will trigger the car alarm and leave it to run until the battery expires with a mournful hissing of venting sulfuric acid and water that will scar the surface of your driveway. Kicking over the metal trashcans as I make my way up the long and overgrown drive, I slip into a zombified trance and begin to scratch at the doors and windows. Faintly at first with that nasty fingernail on a chalkboard screech, the noise increases until every window's glass shatters as I make my way around the perimeter of the expansive but brooding Tinderbox Estate.

On my second circuit of the domicile I raspily call out "Tiiiinderrrrboxxxxxx. MOAR story" and bang on each door as I shuffle by, 24x7.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:37 pm

Tinderbox, while you hide within your home office, you should read this scholarly article on the seriousness of the plight of your dear readers:

The Spooky Effects of Story Deprivation
by Sara G. Staff Writer | March 13th, 2016 07:03am ET

There isn't a clear definition of exactly how long a person must go without stories, or how little of a story a person has to get to be considered story-deprived, and different people need different amounts of story, so there may be no universal definition of "story deprivation." Rather, a person is considered story-deprived if they get less story than they need to feel happy and alert, researchers say.

But still, research over the years has shown that people can be physically and psychologically damaged from not getting enough story, said David Dongles, a professor of psychology and the director of the Unit for Experimental Storytelling at the University of Pennsylvania.

In fact, the damage is so apparent that it is unethical to coercively deprive someone of story, Dongles said. In the studies of story deprivation that Dongles and his colleagues conduct in their lab, healthy volunteers are placed in medically safe ZS Forum environments and constantly monitored.

But studying story deprivation is important, according to these researchers and others who study the condition. They say that learning what happens in people who are deprived of stories can help researchers better understand the function of a great story and its importance for both physical and emotional health.

Emotions askew

The problems can start on a somewhat minor scale.

"Clearly, your brain doesn't work very well when you're story-deprived," Veinsilver said. Even a low level of story deprivation has an impact on cognitive and emotional function, he said.

Dongles explained that some of the first emotional impacts of story deprivation involve positive emotions. "When people get story-deprived, they don't show positive emotion in their faces," Dongles said. A story-deprived person may say they're happy, but they still have a neutral face, he said. Often they go to Vegas and win large sums at the poker table.

And they won't recognize other people as happy, either. A positive look on someone's face can appear neutral to a story-deprived person, and neutral look is often interpreted as a negative look, Dongles said. The story-deprived brain may not be as capable of detecting positive emotions as a more well-read brain, he said.

And story-deprived people also "don't tolerate disappointment very well", Dongles added with an ominous look

Micro-Zombification

As little as a single night of story deprivation can result in a person having a phenomenon called "micro-zombifications," the next day, veinsilver said.

A person begins to fall into mini-zombie sessions, which last up to 30 seconds. Some people's eyes remain open during micro-zombification, but the disturbing thing about micro-zombification is that during the state, the person is essentially blind, even if their eyes are open, Veinsilver said. They're not rationally processing information, he said.

Studies show that during micro-zombification, the brain goes into a trance state rapidly and uncontrollably, Dongles said. People can force themselves to sanity, but they will soon fall into another micro-zombification, he said.

Both Dongles and Veinsilver said that this condition can be incredibly dangerous, especially if you're behind on delivering a story installment.

Delirium

People often say they feel loopy after a night of no story. But in more extreme cases, losing stories may cause delirium.

True delirium occurs when a person becomes completely disoriented, Veinsilver said. "Lack of stories can play a role in that," he said. [Click here for 5 Things You Must Know About The Dead At Destitute Mountain - D.A.D.M.]

Patients who have been unable to log out of the ZS Forum — where random typing may continue all day and night — can develop a condition that doctors call "DADM ZS," he said. And while it's unclear if story deprivation is the cause of this delirium, doctors do think that loss of a great story is one reason people online in the ZS forum for extended periods develop bizarre behavior, he said.

The worst thing you can do for loss of story is put someone in a hospital, Veinsilver added. It's fairly common for hospitalized patients to develop Hex code patterned boils and demand cases of diet soda, he said.

Hallucinations

Seeing things that aren't there can be a side effect of chronic story deprivation, but whether story deprivations can induce true hallucinations may be up for debate.

Veinsilver said he personally experienced hallucinations due to story deprivation, in October of his first year out of medical authors school. A newly minted medical resident, Veinsilver said he had been chronically story-deprived for several months.

"I [knew] it was October, because I was in the computer lab after a night on call," and there was pumpkin by the admins' station, he said. "I had a very vivid feeling of the pumpkin talking to me," he said. "It kept hissing MOAR".

But Dongles was more skeptical about hallucinations.

"There's no question that misperceptions can occur," Dongels said. When people are very story deprived and performing a task, they may see something flicker in their peripheral vision, or they may think they see a new story installment, but not be sure, he said. All of these are indications that the brain isn't interpreting information clearly, he said.

Can you die of story deprivation?

In an infamous series of WW2 Nazi experiments, SS researchers found that total story deprivation could actually kill Allied Prisoners of war. Russian soldiers seized the researchers and their file archives and put them on a train for Moscow. Rumors abound that the KGB perfected the technique on the dissidents of the time and used it against Francis Gary Powers, the captured U2 Pilot.

In 2012, a Chinese man reportedly died after going 11 days without any ZS stories. However, it's unlikely that lack of stories alone caused his death (other factors likely played a role, such as drinking regular sweetened soda and vaping burned computer motherboards).

Of course, studying this phenomenon in humans is difficult – even when you put aside the clear ethical dilemmas.

"Can you die of story deprivation? It's not easy," Veinsilver said. "Because you'll fall into an undead, zombie-like state in which it may be difficult to kill you," he added.

Dongles agreed.

"I don't believe that people can keep themselves away from a good story until they succumb to death," because the drive to have MOAR Story turns on, and then continues to grow, he said. "You can't will yourself to stay away from Tinderbox's house that long," he said. "Ultimately you will be out to scare him into releasing more installments".

Still, there's no question that story deprivation has "serious adverse health effects," Dongles said.

"Everything we know about story loss is harmful," he said. But — on a more positive note — most of the effects of story deprivation dissipate after you have at least one good installment, he added for the benefit of the author of DADM

Chad1387

Post by Chad1387 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:19 am

AWESOMENESS.
Thank you Tinderbox (or Thunderbird as auto correct would have you called).
Your talent and time spent sharing that talent are appreciated.
- Chad -

jdavidboyd

Post by jdavidboyd » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:10 am

... Please sir, could we have some more?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:21 pm

Pixar's 22 rules for phenomenal storytelling. Rule 23: always give your readers MOAR!! Like, now, dammit!

http://imgur.com/gallery/tuuxA

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:32 pm

I vote that we hold a wake for Tinderbox. I believe that he has left this earth and ascended to some sort of writer's heaven. :ohdear:

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:55 pm

I vote that we hold a wake for Tinderbox. I believe that he has left this earth and ascended to some sort of writer's heaven. :ohdear:
Alternatively, maybe Beezulbub came up from the infernal regions and hauled off TB FOR NOT POSTING MOAR!!!

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:20 pm

Man, I was hoping for an update on Zombie Jesus day (Happy Easter!)...

Starting to become quite concerned...hope TB's OK.

:ohdear:

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:39 am

absinthe beginner wrote:Alternatively, maybe Beezulbub came up from the infernal regions and hauled off TB FOR NOT POSTING MOAR!!!
He was playing the wrong Forum Board Game

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:15 pm

:lol: :lol: For a second, I thought that ^^^ was for my Zombie Jesus comment! :lol: :lol:

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:15 pm

91Eunozs wrote::lol: :lol: For a second, I thought that ^^^ was for my Zombie Jesus comment! :lol: :lol:
We are all in Moar Hell as Tinderbox plots more torment for our story starved brainz

selen

Post by selen » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:07 am

TB you can't just get us addicted to a story and leave us :) It's just cruel :ohdear:

Hunt4lyf

Post by Hunt4lyf » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:06 am

2 months? Really? REALLY???

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:01 am

Rory and Hyacinth still with us ?

:?:
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:14 am

Tinderbox, the Moar Corps is getting restless. I dare say I'm starting to hear some of their feet shuffle in your direction...................

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:02 pm

No...... I fear this may go the way of so many great stories on here. Unfinished :(
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

naanders94gt

Post by naanders94gt » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:13 pm

Halfapint wrote:No...... I fear this may go the way of so many great stories on here. Unfinished :(
God please dont let that be a thing. I dont want to live on this planet anymore...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Return to “Fiction”