Zombie's Across the Border

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Zombie's Across the Border

Post by Zombie309 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:03 pm

I started posting this on another forum but would like to get some feedback here as well. Be gentle I've never done this before!

It had be a long, slow shift for Border Patrol Agent Mark Holliday. He'd spent the last ten hours patrolling a stretch of desolate desert about 25 miles west of the "oasis" of El Paso, TX and was getting ready to call it a shift. He decided one more pass through his area would suffice until his relief got to him and he was cruising along the border slowly looking for signs in the sand that anyone had passed through here illegally.

It was much to his surprise when he came across some strange marks in the sand that hadn't been here when he'd last cut this area a little more than two hours ago. These weren't the usual tell tale footprints with a deep toe dig that indicated someone was sprinting across the desert, trying to make it to a road where they could be picked up or even further north into a city before he was alerted to their presence. Neither was it the branch marks scraped over the footprints used by some of the more canny smugglers to fool his lazier or less experienced coworkers. What Mark Holliday was looking at appeared to be one person attempting to get away by stepping normally with one foot and dragging his other one horizontally behind it to cover up what would otherwise be very obvious foot prints in the soft sand.

He immediately exited his big, diesel pickup that was so useful for transporting the large groups they caught and grabbed his Colt M4 from the gun rack. He normally left the rifle for situations involving really big groups or drug smugglers, but the type of person who would cross by himself in an area this far from civilization on either side of the border most likely wouldn't come into custody quietly. He quickly relayed to the other units in the area what was going on so they could attempt to pick up the sign north of him and began to follow the footprints at a brisk jog by the light of his Maglite. After moving almost a mile in the pitch black desert with only a flashlight Mark began to think how odd it was that the person he was following was still maintaining this awkward gait in an attempt to avoid detection. Usually any attempts at concealment took place within a few dozen yards of the dirt roads him and other Agents used to cut for sign. Utilizing this method for such a long period of time would be tiring and take up too much time, ensuring apprehension if the attempt failed. Mark decided to push his pace a little more since he didn't think it was likely that this person had gotten too far from the border if he was moving at a speed like this.

He crossed over a well used cattle trail which told him that he'd entered onto Roy Metzgar's cattle ranch and secretly hoped this wouldn't turn into a game of hide and seek at all the barns and storage buildings that were less than a mile away from him now. That's when he heard the loud snap come from the other side of a large sand dune topped with a mesquite bush and he instantly sprang into "hunter" mode. He instantly shut off his light and walkie talkie and dropped to a knee. He silently adjusted his rifle on its sling so that the buttstock was pressed firmly into his shoulder and with one hand on the pistol grip and the other on his flashlight he slowly circled the dune. A slurping noise and some chewing sounds confirmed that his target had indeed stopped to rest for a few minutes and had brought a meal with him, one of the determined ones who would have made the almost 30 mile trip into El Paso if he hadn't been so sloppy with his technique down on the border road.
He could now see the outline of the man's back about 15 yards in front of him and he lit him up with the brightness of his flashlight. Nothing could have prepared him for what he saw when the Maglite's artificial beam illuminated that piece of desert in front of him.

The man in front of him was hunched over what had once been a decent sized coyote. His hands were buried up to the middle of the forearms in the animals guts and his face was smeared with blood and chunks of flesh. Mark took a few steps back through the soft desert sand as the man began to rise.

"Manos Arriba! No se muevan!" Mark commanded the man, but he kept advancing on him. Mark reached back on his duty belt and drew his collapsible steel baton and straightened the device to its full length with the snap of his arm.

Usually the sight of two feet of steel was enough to calm most people down but it seemed to have no effect on the gore covered man. As the man continued to advance on Mark and ignore his repeated commands he instinctively raised the baton and loaded it up for a strike to the meaty section of the mans thigh. The chance for that disabling blow never came as the alien covered the remaining ten feet seperating them terrifyingly fast. Mark quickly found himself crashing into the dune with man on top of his gnashing his teeth and clawing all over his body. Mark was a bigger guy in the 200 plus pound range, hit the gym as regularly as a family man was able to, and had been a fairly successful wrestler in high school. Despite all this he was barely able to keep the much smaller mans teeth away from his face. He was finally able to secure one hand under the mans throat and using all his strength he was able to toss his attacked off to the side and scramble back to his feet.
Before Mark could even get up on one knee the relentless man had crashed into him again, this time raking his nails done the side of Marks face and throat. Mark howled out a curse and crashed his elbow into the mans temple, only to watch him spring right back up to his feet.

"This son of a bitch has to be on meth!" Mark thought to himself as the man employed his bullrush tactic again. Mark had been expecting it again and this time he met him with a nice hip toss that sent the man head over heels at least five feet away. It had been less than a minute but as any cop can tell you a struggle with an individual who's been using Crystal Meth can feel like a five round championship fight very quickly, especially in the soft sand of the desert. Mark was starting to feel the effects of this encounter and knew that he needed to get this guy under control before things took a turn for the worse.
Mark approached the guy as he was regaining his footing and dropped him with a hard right hand to the temple. He knew there was no time to admire his handiwork and reached for his handcuffs so he could finally put an end to this. The clean shot to one of the brains "light switches" had only bought him a few seconds and the man quickly flopped over onto his stomach and inexplicably sunk his teeth into the hard toe cap of Marks boot. Mark lashed out with a quick kick to get the man off of him and lost his balance as he shook the man off of him.

As soon as he crashed to the ground his attacked was on top of him again and Mark knew that things were getting progressively worse. He was reaching extreme fatigue and his assailant just kept coming at a thousand miles per hour. If he let this man knock him out or severely injure him there was a good chance he wasn't going to leave this desert tonight, especially since things had escalated so quickly that he'd never had the chance to radio for backup. Mark planted his left hand underneath the mans Adams apple to hold him off and drew his .40 H&K semi-automatic from his hip holster. The pistol sounded like a cannon from this close as Mark fired three rounds into the mans chest as close to the heart as he could. He shoved the body off of him and scrambled quickly to his feet, horrified at what had just happened. Everyone who puts a badge on his chest and a gun on his hip knows that there's a possibility for a life and death struggle every time he goes to work, but the shock of this brutal struggle and being forced to use his service weapon for the first time off of the range had caused an adrenaline dump that dropped Mark to his knees.

He began to fumble to turn his radio on and relay everything that had just happened when the man he'd just shot three times in the chest from point blank range crashed into him again.

The mans hands crashed into his head and face several times and blood was beginning to obscure his vision on the side of his face where he'd taken his first cut at the outset of the fight. Mark had miraculously held onto his pistol upon impact and he clubbed the man across the mouth with it as his teeth rushed towards his face. With one last gasp of strength he threw his body to the side as violently as he could and knocked the man off of him once again. Mark scrambled to a knee and lined up the tritium night sights on the mans head. He squeezed the trigger twice before the man could rush him again and saw one round take off the bottom of the mans jaw and the other hit him just above the ear.

This time he knew it was over, as the freshly made corpse in front of him slumped over onto its side with its eyes wide open and a skull that now looked like a deflated balloon. Not wanting to take any chances, Mark grabbed his handcuffs and secured the mans wrists behind his back before he finally got to his radio. He took a deep breath to try and regain his composure and then began his transmission.

"Any available agents, I have shots fired at the south end of the Metzgar Ranch, no serious injuries to myself but the subject appears deceased. Requesting immediate backup."

"Hey Mark thats a good copy we're rolling your way, sit tight amigo!"

The voice of his classmate Armando Reyes was extremely comforting and Mark finally let himself relax knowing that it was all over except for the lawyers and the paperwork. As the minutes passed by waiting for backup Mark gathered up his things using the smaller flashlight he kept as a backup on his duty belt. His M4 had landed on top of a mesquite bush during the initial attack and his Maglite was nearly buried in sand from where the scuffle had begun on the ground. No matter how hard Mark tried, he couldn't help but look at what he had done to another human being. The bullets had rendered the man practically unrecognizable from the shoulders up and his chest was concave from what Mark assumed were a pair of collapsed lungs. Any sympathy or regret was pushed out of his mind by the throbbing in his face from the deep cuts the mans nails had made and the swelling all over his face and head from the blows he had absorbed. The man had fought like a mother bear defending her cubs and Mark felt lucky to have survived the encounter.

Mark finally heard the telltale rumbling of diesel engines and he knew the cavalry had finally arrived. Armando was the first to get to him and the short, skinny Hispanic Agent wrapped him in a huge hug before unleashing a barrage of questions, Mark only heard one of them though.

"Do you want me to call Rita for you?"

Throughout the whole ordeal Mark had never thought of his wife or their young son at home. He'd heard stories of cops involved in life or death struggles and images of loved ones being their saving grace but Mark had just thought of surviving, his attackers relentlessness had kept his mind on only him.

"No, no that's ok. I'll call her when we get this wrapped up I think I still need a few minutes to cool off anyway." Mark replied, the truth was that he was afraid he'd break down in front of all the investigators that were surely already on their way if he was too talk to the woman he almost didn't get to go home to tonight.

"Ok, looks like everyone else is getting here anyway. You need to refresh your story at all?"

Mark knew he was only asking because he was a good friend and the last thing you wanted was inconsistencies in all the statements you had to give following a shooting but he felt irrationally angry at him for asking the question nonetheless. The fact that every action he took out here in the desert by himself was about to be picked apart by a bunch of desk riding internal investigators made him even angrier.

"No thanks, I'll give them my initial statement and then I'm not saying anything until my lawyer shows up."

"Smart man you don't want..."

He cut himself off as their radios were suddenly alive with noise.

"Backup needed in Mt. Cristo Rey!!!"

The transmission then disintegrated into the sounds of a heavy struggle, cursing, and an ear splitting shriek.

"Agent down, fucker bit my neck!"
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Zombie's Across the Border

Post by Zombie309 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Mark recognized the voice as Eddie Wilkins, a younger guy on the unit but a good worker nonetheless.

"Go man! I can see the other vehicles coming now, I'll get a ride over with one of them!"

"Ok, I'll see you there!"

His classmate was already in his truck and speeding off towards the highway by the time the other vehicles had arrived. The next Agent on scene was one of the unit Supervisors, Jamie Avila. A relic from back when the Border Patrol was nothing but a bunch of cowboys and there was a bit more leeway in the actions you could take.

"Sir, should we get to the mountain? That sounded pretty serious!"

"Hell yeah son! He's not going anywhere is he?" Jamie nodded his head in the direction of the body.

"Negative, make some room on the passengers side!"

They sped off in the senior Supervisors Chevy Tahoe as the radio came alive with sounds of other Agents attempting to locate Eddie. As they got closer to the mountain that towers over the middle of El Paso, the unmistakeable sound of more gunfire cut through the night air over the radio.

"I've got his location I'll be there in a minute! He's over by Ardovinos!" Someone shouted over the radio.

Jamie floored it and began weaving around the late night city traffic trying to get to Ardovinos Desert Crossing Restaraunt as fast as possible. By the time they got there it was all she wrote and at least ten units with their emergency lights running were in the area.

When they walked up on the scene it was painfully obvious why there hadn't been any further traffic on the radio following the last transmission they had heard. Eddie was on his back amidst the rocks at the bottom of the mountain, his throat had been ripped out and what appeared to be his spinal column was visible amidst the flesh and gore. The man who was apparently responsible for the death of the young Agent lay a few feet away from him with bullet wounds to his chest, stomach, and forehead.

Several Agents were crying and one or two looked fit to kill as they saw their fallen comrade and the realization that his death was not a pleasant one dawned on all of them.

Jamie was the first to break the silence. " We need a fucking ambulance to Ardovinos! Wilkins is down, get one here ASAP!" He screamed into the radio at the dispatch office. "Mike grab his legs and I'll get him under the shoulders, let's get him down to the parking lot!"

Not a man there had the courage to tell the old cowboy that Wilkins' watch had ended and they let him and Mike Arnott pick him up and begin to carry him the short distance to the restaraunt parking lot.

Mark had never seen a night like this at his usually calm station and the adrenaline spikes and dumps had left him drained. He slumped against the side of a large boulder and stared up at the sky wondering how it had gotten so fucked up. He'd barely had the time to catch his breath when he looked up at the sound of Jamie screaming and saw what appeared to be Eddie's body tumbling down the side of the mountain with Mike.

"He fucking bit me! He tore my fucking wrist off!" Jamie shrieked.

"Eddie what are you doing? We're here to help you!" Mike screamed from just below them.

All of the Agents on scene sprinted in one of their partners directions, Mark happened to pick Mike's.

It only took him a few seconds to get there along with two other Agents. Mike had his pistol at his side and was backpedalling as Eddie backed him down and swiped at him.

"Guys something is seriously fucked up here! Eddie isn't right!" Mike shouted to them.

"Eddie what are you doing? We're here to help!" Mark screamed at the younger mans back. When he did that he turned face Mark and that's when he saw his face. The blood caked around his mouth, the glazed over eyes, and Eddie felt like he was back on the Metzgar Ranch all over again.

"How the fuck is he still standing? Look at his neck!" Someone screamed from next to him.

"I don't think that's our Eddie! Something's seriously wrong with him." Mark replied as he drew his pistol.

Eddie snarled and rushed Mark who'd been preparing himself for this, he hooked an arm underneath Eddie's and tossed him straight into the boulder he'd been standing in front of. The sickening crunch and the way Eddies body jerked and came to a complete stop told everybody that his watch had come to an end for what appeared to be a second time.

"What the fuck did you do to him?!" One of the other Agents yelled.

"That wasn't Eddie! Whoever did that to his throat gave him rabies or something!" Mark replied.

In the distance they heard more sirens coming their way and they realized it was the ambulance that had been called for by Jamie, who would know be its occupant. The Agents who hadn't gone to his aid just looked down at the still body of their fellow Agent and tried to wrap their heads around what was happening tonight. A shout from the group that had gone to help Jamie stirred them.

"Guys get up here! We need to carry Jamie down to the parking lot and he's lost a lot of blood!"

They all quickly scrambled up the rocks to aid their Supervisor and when Mark caught a glimpse of Jamie's arm he could see why he had lost so much blood. Eddie had torn a chunk of flesh out of his wrist right where all the arteries and veins met and Jamie had turned a ghostly shade of white. They lifted him up and began carrying the bigger man down the mountain as his head lolled to the side and he mumbled incoherently.

"Mark what the fuck is going on?" Armando asked his classmate from the other side of Jamie's body.

"I don't know...I tell you what though, Eddie looked and sounded a lot like that guy out there on the ranch tonight."

Armando just shook his head and stared at the parking lot that had just filled up with the flashing sirens of the ambulance. They met the EMT's halfway and transferred Jamie onto the stretcher, by now he was unconscious and his wound wasn't pumping blood the way it had been.

"Ok quickly now fellas what happened?" One of the EMT's asked.

"We were carrying another Agent who'd been wounded and he just turned his head and bit Jamie...for no reason..." Mike Arnott said the words like he didn't believe them himself.

"Where's the other Agent? Is he still hurt?"

"He tried to attack me...he's dead." Mark said the words and realized what they meant. Not only had he been involved in a shooting that he'd barely begun the process of being investigated for...but he was directly responsible for the death of another Agent, even if it had been an accident of sorts. The weight of that hit him like a ton of bricks and all the strength went out of his legs. Armando held him up as he went down and helped sit him down gently.

"It's okay buddy, we saw what happened. You didn't have a choice."

Sobs racked Marks body and all he could do was mod along with what his friend was telling him.

"Hey Gerry get over here we're losing him!" The EMT from inside the ambulance called over to his friend.

"Ah fuck! Not again!" Mike yelled out. They were all still in shock from Eddie's death and the loss of another Agent would be unbearable.

The paramedics went to work in the rear bay and pulled the doors shut. The ambulance's engine roared as it peeled out of the parking lot and the Agents quickly piled into vehicles to follow them to the hospital.

Mark found himself in the same truck as Armando and mercifully in the passenger seat. The next few minutes dragged by as he stated out over the city and thought about what had easily been the worst night of his life. Before he knew it that were just a few blocks away from the hospital and before he got there he had one thing to take care of. He knew his wife and son would be asleep but he had a strong urge to reach out to them in some way so he hammered out a text message on his phone.

"I love you both, this shift can't end soon enough. Can't wait to see you in the morning."

He slid his phone back into his breast pocket and exited the truck as Armando pulled in behind the other units in the entryway to the Emergency Room. The ambulance was already empty and the Border Patrol Agents were all gathered in the waiting area.

"Said there wasn't enough room back there, they'll come tell us as soon as they know something though." Mike told the rest of the Agents.

They all nodded and found places to sit, most of them still of fully accepting of the chaos that had taken place earlier. After a half hour or so all the supervisors and higher ups on shift had filled the waiting room and the two highest ranking had pulled Mark aside to get his account of the two fatalities he'd been involved in. He was just about to describe the scene when he originally came upon the alien in the desert when a series of screams and shouts started from behind the closed double doors. Before any of them could react the doors flew open and several hospital staffers ran right past the Agents and out into the night. They were followed by Jamie who's face and torso were covered with blood. His eyes found Mike Arnott and in a flash the two of them were tumbling to the ground with Jamie's teeth tearing into his former friends throat. Two other Agents lunged to his rescue as Mike screamed for help and tried to push his Supervisor's considerable bulk off of him. As those two attempted to help Jamie, Gerry the paramedic came flying through the double doors and sent all of them scattering like bowling pins across the waiting room floor. He and Jamie were the first to recover and in a flash they were savaging the bewildered Agents. Armando was the first to react, he drew his pistol, took aim and put three rounds center of mass on Gerry the paramedic. The force of the bullets knocked him on his back but within seconds he was on his feet and all of his attention had turned to Armando Reyes. His charge didn't last long, within two steps the mans face vanished as Mark sent two rounds into it. Armando turned and took aim at Jamie who was still ravaging Mike Arnott's now silent body.

"God forgive me..."He muttered and then sent a .40 bullet through his crazed Supervisor's skull.
There was no time to gather their thoughts and no respite. The sound of snarling humans and screams of pain began to echo from behind the double doors and Mike Arnott appeared to be standing back up despite not having a throat or much of a face left.

"Mando let's get the fuck out of here." Mark said to his friend.

"I hear you there."

The two men took off at a sprint out of the hospital and need looked back. As soon as they closed their respective doors Mike Arnott's fist slammed through the window directly behind Mark's head and both men screamed out in terror as their coworker scratched and clawed at the air around them, paying no attention to the cuts that the broken glass had dug into his arms. Armando turned the key and the big Powerstroke rumbled to life, a half second later and they were flying out of the hospital's parking lot and moving westbound on Interstate 10.

"Mark what the fuck is going on?"

Mark sat there and pondered that question for a minute, struggling with his answer before finally giving in and deciding to tell his friend what he was truly thinking.

"It's like a fucking zombie movie man." Was as eloquently as he could put it.

Armando Reyes stated out the windshield of the truck for a moment before shaking his head side to side and giggling.

"It sounds absolutely batshit crazy but I think you might be on the right track."

"Believe me I know how nuts it sounds, but that guy on the Metzgar Ranch was acting the same way and he was munching down on a wild coyote when I found him."

"That's some fucked up shit."

"No kidding, we need to figure out how far this has spread. I gotta get home to my family."
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Mark reached over and turned on the vehicle radio and the pickup was filled with the sounds of radio traffic, most of it coming from the dispatch office. Border Patrol Agents have very limited jurisdiction involving regular crimes and are generally used as backup for police departments when they feel they need a force multiplier, but the traffic coming out on the radio was directing all available Agents to the hospital that they had just left to assist the city police with a riot situation. As badly as they wanted to get home to their families duty was still calling and they had an obligation, especially since they already had an idea of what was going on. Armando turned on the emergency equipment and at the next exit they turned around and headed back to the hospital. Mark had to call his wife and let her know what was going on. When she answered he knew he'd woken her up and she didn't sound too happy about it.

"Rita this is serious, there's a situation in the city. I think it's contained to the central part right now but I want you to be prepared. Lock up every door and window in the house, bring Logan in the bedroom with you, and keep the shotgun in a safe, accessible place. Do you understand?"

"Mark what the hell are you talking about?" She was clearly annoyed and probably thought he was playing a joke on her.

"Rita I'm not fucking around, just do what I said. I'll be home as soon as possible. I love you and I gotta go now."

"Ok, I'll take care of it I love you too, be safe."

Mark thumbed the touch screen on his phone to end the call and listened as Armando finished a similar call with his wife. As he hung up they also exited the highway and a mile away they could see the congregation of red and blue emergency lights at the hospital. What they saw when they pulled into the front parking lot was the most shocking thing yet in a night of unprecedented horrors. Every law enforcement vehicle in the parking lot was empty and there were bodies everywhere. Men and women from every surrounding police department, sheriff's office, and federal agency were strewn about the parking lot and it looked like they'd met their ends in brutal, savage fashion. As they walked around trying to find survivors Mark note that at least most of them had gone down fighting and were surrounded by the spent brass casings of the bullets they'd fired. He had only noticed a few civilian corpses in the area and those had all been near the front of the parking lot, away from where the dead officers had been ripped apart. His partner had apparently been thinking the same thing.

"Mark whoever did this is gone, out there in our city! Maybe heading towards our houses!"

The words hit Mark like a fist to the gut and he bolted for the truck with his friend right behind him.

"What's next?" Armando asked.

"Let's let dispatch know what happened and then I need you to take me to the station I've got to get my truck."

Mark's mind was racing and he was planning for every possible outcome. It might take him 20 minutes longer to get back home if they went to the station first but of they had to evacuate his King Ranch F-150 4x4 would suit them much better than his wife's tiny crossover.

"Yeah, good idea."

Mark grabbed the radio and began his transmission.

"Dispatch be advised, containment at the hospital riot was broken. Multiple law enforcement deaths and several civilians, suspects were nowhere to be found. Myself and my partner are falling back to regroup."

As soon as he finished transmitting he turned off the radio and then spoke to Armando.

"We are off duty buddy."

"I don't think we're the only ones, I don't see a single truck on The Line from here. Maybe word spread about what happened a the hospital earlier."

"Sounds about right, we didn't have the radio on for a bit after Mike went nuts, bad job by us."

"Can't really blame us though can you?"

"Nah, I suppose not."

The nice thing about being in the marked ride was the ability to be very liberal with their speed. Armando kept the speedometer near triple digits the whole way to the station. Besides, they hardly had to worry about other vehicles at such a late hour.

Their suspicions were confirmed when they pulled into the station parking lot and saw it nearly devoid of any personally owned vehicles.

"This is looking bad Mando..." Mark said.

"No kidding, I need to get home."

He exited Mando's unit next to his truck and turned to face his friend.

"Be safe man, this could get nasty. Keep your radio handy too, maybe we can get in touch that way."

"Will do amigo, take care of yourself."

Mark got into his truck and took off as fast as he dared back toward the city and his house. He knew he didn't need to worry about being pulled over since every cop in town was either responding to what had happened near the hospital or had already abandoned his post. As the desert flew by his windows a thought occurred to him. Local police would have a lot more information about the scope of the incident and he'd met plenty of them through the years. Maybe he could get a better feel if he called one of them. He brought up Dave Jones' phone number from his contact list and made the call. It took five rings but he answered and Mark could hear numerous voices talking in the background.

"Dave it's Mark Holliday, can you tell me what's going on?"

"Holy shit Mark it's bad, a couple of us are at the station now but we've lost comms with most of our units and I know a few are dead at the hospital."

"I was there Dave, I'm sorry about that..."

"Yeah me too, this thing spread fast we didn't have any time to react. The area near UTEP and downtown is a fucking war zone. Get home to your family Mark, I gotta go, be safe!"

Mark didn't have a chance to say anything before Dave ended the call but he said a silent prayer for his friend. The information he had just been given might wind up being vital to his an his families survival. He was also thankful he had bought his house on the west side of town, only about 10 minutes from the station and close to the highway if he felt like his family needed to be relocated.
As he pulled into his driveway he saw that the whole house was lit up, that meant Rita was up which also meant she'd taken his advice seriously before. He came in through the garage door and found his wife sitting on the couch with their three year old son asleep next to her. He smiled when he saw his Remington 870 and a few boxes of shells on the coffee table in the corner. She sprang to her feet and wrapped her arms around him. He let her hold onto him for as long as she needed and looking over her shoulder he could see what she was watching on TV. The local news helicopter was circling the heart of the city and it was chaos. Crowds of people swarmed through the streets dragging people down as they exited the nightclubs and bars that populated the areas. They'd been completely oblivious to what was happening to their city as they danced and drank the night away and they were quickly adding to the ranks of the afflicted people roaming the city streets.

"Mark it's horrible! It's like your damn Dawn of the Dead movie! Is that what's going on?"

"Mark tried to tell her everything he could about the nights events as calmly as possible and he was proud at how well she'd taken it.

"I'm so sorry baby...are you okay?"

"I'll be fine, we need to worry about what's on the way though not what's already happened. What's the news saying?"

"They said these types of incidents are happening all over the southwest border. The carriers are all coming from Mexico. They said that the National Guard is being deployed and they have roadblocks up leading out of the cities."

"Damn! I was going to see how bad it was and then get us out to the desert, there's some old ranches out there we could've waited this thing out in, I think we'll be ok here though as long as we can get in the garage."

A few years ago a freak freeze had paralyzed the city for a week. The power grid had gone down, all the pipes froze, and the stores were cleaned out. After things got back to normal Mark had built up a stockpile in their garage of food and water. He had over a month of water stored in 55 gallon drums, and about as much food for his family. Now he was kicking himself for stopping at a month, if this thing was all along the border it could take a long time to get things right.

His house itself was well suited to withstand an unarmed attack if it came to that too. The city had an ordinance requiring all backyards to have a rock wall and he'd had his raised up to eight feet and extended to be flush with the front wall of the house. The windows had security grates over them that were bolted into the brick around the window. He'd had to compromise on those and order ones that Rita thought looked pretty and because of that he imagined someone could fit their arm in the gaps but that would be it. The final touch was a heavy duty, steel security storm door that he'd hung over the front and back doors to provide an additional layer of protection there. He'd done all of these things in an attempt to make his house look as undesirable to a criminal as possible, certainly not to keep out an angry horde of zombie-esque creatures but he was glad he'd spent the money on those things now.

"So what do we do now Mark?" His wife asked.

He pressed her body up against his as he answered "We should definitely turn off the lights, batten down the hatches and I'm going to get my AR ready. But first I'm gonna pour myself a really strong drink or five, I've had a hell of a night. Then we just keep watching the news and see what that says."

Mark went into the kitchen and poured himself a stiff gin and club soda and took a long sip. The alcohol felt good and he instantly felt some of the stress bleed out of him. He carried the glass upstairs and took the hottest shower of his life. The water that ran off his body was brown from the dirt and blood that was caked on him. He thought again about everything that happened and got worried that he wasn't more worried. He'd killed two men, seen a parking lot littered with dead bodies, and now knew that his city was being quarantined along with the rest of the US-Mexico border. He decided it was from dealing with years of being on the job and then drained the rest I his drink right there in the shower. After toweling off an changing into a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt he unlocked the gun safe he kept on the back of his closet and pulled out his AR-15. He told his wife he'd bought it so he could practice with it and be more prepared for a gunfight involving his M4 on duty but he'd really just wanted a cool, new toy. He kept it immaculately clean and had a cloth hood over the Trijicon Acog optic that he'd purchased for the rifle. He had a stack of ten plastic magazines that he kept loaded at all times and he slapped one into the magazine well of the weapon. He slung the rifle and then carried the rest of the magazines along with his empty glass back downstairs. Rita had fallen asleep while he'd been in the shower so he set the rifle down next to his recliner and made himself another drink. After a quick check of all the locks in the house he settled into his comfortable chair and took in what his TV was showing him. The violence downtown was apparently just getting started since the Customs Officers who ran the two major bridges that spanned the Rio Grande in that area had apparently been overrun by a tide of the afflicted individuals and people fleeing them. The news chopper was following several large groups of people who were roaming the popular night club district near the Ports of Entry and occasionally a smaller group would break off and run a healthy person down. Thankfully the cameras didn't zoom in to show what happened following that, Mark had seen enough of that tonight.

He thought of the Agents he'd seen to tonight and the cops that met the same sticky end tonight an tilted his glass to the ceiling before gulping the rest of it down. He stood up to get himself one more and smiled as he looked at his little boy curled up against his wife's body.

"I won't let anything happen to you buddy." He whispered and then stumbled to the kitchen. He grabbed the shotgun on the way back and put it on the highest shelf in the front closet along with his rifle, he didn't want to risk his son waking up first and messing around with the weapons even if they didn't have a round in the chambers and the safeties were on.

He fell into his chair and took a gulp of his drink as the news anchors advised that they were going off air for a Department of Homeland Security broadcast and they would not be returning. Mark assumed that was because they had their own families to get home to and didn't begrudge them that. He saw the director of his agency come on screen and laughed. James Villanueva had started his career in the Patrol but had spent as little time as possible actually doing his job, focusing on padding his resume and moving up the ladder as fast as possible. Mark was sure he had a plan for all of this, and he was also certain it would be flawed given his lack of time ever handling any stressful situation with his own boots on the ground. Villanueva straightened his tie and began his speech.

"Ladies and gentlemen, as you all know we have a very severe situation on our hands along our southern border. In an attempt to contain this situation the National Guard has been deployed all along the border to contain this issue and will be sent in to restore order as soon as we have more information on what we are dealing with. In the mean time stay in your homes and do not draw any attention to yourself. If you come in contact with one of the afflicted individuals do not approach them, if you come into contact with someone who has been bitten by one of the afflicted either quarantine them or remove yourself from that situation, a bite is the one sure fire way we have identified that spreads the disease. We will hopefully have more information tomorrow and then we can let the National Guard do their job. Stay safe and good night."

Bites spread the sickness, if that didn't sound like something right out of George Romero than Mark didn't know what else could. His last thought before he slipped into the calm cover of sleep was that he was glad he had several thousands rounds of ammunition for his weapons, stockpiled from his weapons qualifications at the station and a few bulk purchases online.

Socrates187

Post by Socrates187 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:21 pm

Nicely written! Story went a little fast though
Of course, you know what this means. Moar! :twisted:

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Socrates187 wrote:Nicely written! Story went a little fast though
Of course, you know what this means. Moar! :twisted:
Thanks! It's no where near done though! I have another huge section that I need to edit and a ton more raw material in my brain.

Nancy1340

Post by Nancy1340 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Very good story so far.

Just to make sure though I think you need to post 3 or 75 more chapters. :clap:

:lol:

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:37 pm

Nancy1340 wrote:Very good story so far.

Just to make sure though I think you need to post 3 or 75 more chapters. :clap:

:lol:
Very much appreciated, ill have a few more up I the next few days once I edit them.

pfcreed

Post by pfcreed » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:04 am

man I was thinking about this same topic my self.... beat me to it man.

DTyra
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original, the latest, and almost anything in between.

Post by DTyra » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:31 am

pfcreed wrote:man I was thinking about this same topic my self.... beat me to it man.
Same here! I was kicking around the same scenario! Good start!
You weren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth; you were born with a shovel up your ass, so pull it out and start digging!
Short stories about the subsidiary characters of "Behind a Veil of Darkness" http://zombiefictionandothertales.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:17 pm

About six hours later Mark was woken from his slumber by a foot to the groin. As his eyes shout open and a curse escaped his lips his sons smiling face swam into view.

"Daddy, daddy, daddy wake up!"

"Ok bud I'm up I'm up." He picked his son up under the armpits and stumbled past his sleeping wife and into the kitchen. He started up a big pot of coffee since he knew Rita would be awake any minute and walked back to the room. His son was sitting on the floor staring at the TV and Mark realized why with a jolt. The image on the screen was taken from a cell phone camera in what looked like the downtown area of El Paso. The person was filming from what looked to be a second or third story window and the scene playing out below him was a macabre one. A small group of the afflicted had cornered a man and a woman in front of a closed bar. The man was attempting to keep them away but thy were both quickly overwhelmed, the news channel had the good sense to cut the video when things started to get really messy. His son turned to look at him with a frightened and pale face.

"It's ok buddy it was just a movie! Your silly daddy left it on when he went to sleep. Let's get some cartoons on for you!" He said as he rubbed his hand along the boys back. A few seconds later a cartoon focused on superheroes was on and his son forgot all about the footage from the cell phone camera but Mark did not.

He walked back to the kitchen to pour his cup of coffee and pondered their current situation. He figured they'd be ok for 4-5 weeks with their current supplies and then something would have to give. That's when things would get dangerous, he hadn't seen any indications that these things would attempt to enter a structure. They seemed to hunt in small packs out in the open but eventually there wouldn't be any people left on the streets and he shuddered at the though of a siege of these "afflicteds" at his home. He turned around with his coffee mug in hand and nearly spilled it on his wife as she rounded the corner into the kitchen.

"Morning babe." He gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

She mumbled something along the same lines and poured herself a cup of coffee. Mark leaned against the counter and sipped his while he watched her staring out the rear window which faced the Franklin Mountains. After a few minutes she spoke to him without turning to face him.

"How long can we stay here until we run out of food and water?"

"I wish we had a bit more food, but we should be golden on water for at least a month. More if we're careful."

"What do we do if we run out of food?"

Mark had already thought about that and he wasn't sure how his wife would react to his plan.

"Well I was thinking if things haven't improved in another two weeks or so...Rocky and Clyde weigh about 80 pounds each. I'd imagine I could get a decent amount of meat off of them."

She turned and stared daggers at him and she was poised to rip into him, but just as soon as she'd turned she took a deep breath and nodded her head. Rita had been with her two pitbulls since before she'd even met Mark and he was extremely relieved that she was seeing the sense in his plan.

"I guess we just have to hope it doesn't come to that." She replied as cooly as she could and then brushed past him into the living room.

Mark followed her into the living room but made his way upstairs into the spare bedroom which had been transformed into the "dog" room. Clyde and Rocky both looked at him expectantly and he smiled at their grinning faces. These two dogs were the antithesis of everything the mainstream media said a pitbull had to be and he thoroughly enjoyed showing them off to everyone that ever visited his house. He let them out of their crates and let them go nuts smelling him and licking his hands for a minute before settling them down and giving them their morning food. As they each vacuumed up their meal Mark realized that he'd have to come up with a way to dispose of their waste, there was no way he could let them loose in the backyard to do their business. If one of those things started making noise on the other side of the rock wall his dogs would go nuts and the last thing they needed was a horde of those things gathering around their house like it was a buffet line.

"Looks like you boys better get comfy pooping in here."

The feasting hounds paid him no mind so he just waited for them to finish and picked their bowls up.

"You guys will figure it out." He said as he closed the door, leaving the two dogs looking very confused.

Mark smiled as he looked downstairs and saw wife and son were sitting together watching cartoons. He watched them for a moment before walking into the loft which also doubled as his office. As he waited for his desktop to boot up he gently inched the curtains aside and looked down at the main road that ran past the north side of his house. He was shocked to see it completely empty. His home was less than ten miles from the epicenter of the violence in the downtown area but there was no sign of any of the "zombies" wondering near his house.

"Odd..." he mumbled to himself as he say down in front of the computer and brought up the home page for the local newspaper. The articles displayed were ones containing information he had already seen on the news last night. It he reread them, hoping to clean some new information. Lastly he clicked on a link to the newspaper's Twitter page and found out why his neighborhood was so quiet. New messages were popping up every few seconds detailing where the zombies (amazing how quickly everyone starting using that term) were moving, and what they were doing. Mark didn't find any messages claiming they were attempting to enter structures yet, but plenty of links to pictures and YouTube videos of people being attacked out in the open streets were available for viewing. Mark found one that appearsd to be taken from a news helicopter and shuddered as he watched a crowd of zombies surround a vehicle that had either stalled or run out of gas on Interstate-10 just a few miles from his house. A family of four was on the roof of the sedan and the father was making a valiant attempt to clear a path for his wife and two daughters to escape using a tire iron but the crowd of zombies numbered at least 40. As the man swung the piece of metal at a zombie attempting to crawl up the front windshield he strayed too closely to the edge of the roof and a pair of hands closed around his ankle. Within seconds he was pulled off his feet and dragged into the horde. Mark closed the window playing the video as the first zombie stalked the mother and her children to the edge of the roof...he knew how this ended and he wasn't prepared to watch that. The Twitter page refreshed itself and Mark continued reading posts claiming that the military was opening fire on any vehicles attempting to approach the roadblocks, and there were helicopters patrolling the desert expanses leading out of the city if anyone attempted to flee on foot. The irony of being a Border Patrol Agent confined inside his own city was not lost on him. He read the latest Tweets which gave him a general idea of where the horde was moving and then went downstairs to give his wife the news.

"Hey Rita can you give me a hand in the kitchen with something?"

He was glad he'd married a woman as smart as Rita. She knew he just needed to get her alone and protect their son from whatever news he had to give her.

"We are all clear outside right now but there are attacks being reported as close as Mesa by groups as big as fifty. So I figure we've got about half the day before they get here. I don't think they are trying to get inside houses yet, but we're one of the last areas without attacks and people are learning to stay off the streets. I don't know what will happen if they figure out there's food inside these houses."

"And by food you mean us?"

"Exactly, but that's not gonna happen. The windows and doors are all covered with that wrought iron which is bolted right into the brick. The rock wall is too high to climb over and it would take a ton of them to knock that down. If we can keep the dogs and Logan quiet then I think we can ride this out."

"How do we know when it's been 'ridden out'?" Rita sounded scared now.

"I really don't know, hopefully the military figures this shit out quick, but right now we just need to stay calm. Do what you can to keep Logan occupied and quiet. I'm gonna load some supplies in the truck while I still can, but hopefully It won't come to that. We're gonna be okay Rita, we can make it through this."

She didn't say a word, just nodded her head and turned back to the living room where Logan was still mercifully engrossed in the television.

Mark went back upstairs to observe the area surrounding his house before he ventured out into the driveway. It all looked clear so he grabbed his off duty holster, slid it into his belt and slipped the P2000 inside. He entered the garage through the laundry room door and slowly slid the double door up, not wanting to risk the noise of the motor in the electric opener. He walked to the edge of his driveway and scanned both directions on the normally busy Resler Dr. and then checked his own block once again. Quickly going to work he tossed everything be thought they might need into the bed of his truck. Sleeping bags and their tent were accompanied by a fifteen gallon container of water and a smaller five gallon container as well as whatever extra food he felt comfortable sparing from the pantry shelves. He also slid the boxes containing the majority of the ammunition for his pistol, rifle, and shotgun into the truck.

The way he figured it was if we go through what's already in the house it's probably time to get the fuck out anyway.

There were only two five gallon cans of gasoline for his lawn mower in the garage but those joined the rest of the supplies. Satisfied with what he saw he walked around the bed of the truck to check the fluids and saw a zombie shambling toward him.

"Oh fuck..." He whispered as he was already unholstering and getting a bead on the evil creatures head. He thought better of it, realizing that the gunshot might bring an untold amount of the things down on his house and family and slid the pistol back into the holster. He ran inside the garage and grabbed the first tool that looked like it could do the job, a good old claw hammer. As he turned to face his for the monster let out a loud moan that rooted Mark to the garage floor. An instant later he was slapped back to the real world as he heard dozens more moans answering from the surrounding blocks.

Perhaps content to wait for his friends, this zombie didn't attack like the previous ones Mark had dealt with and he made a split second decision to dispatch it before the rest of his buddies knew exactly what house he'd been signaling them to. Mark charged as fast as he could at the zombie standing at the edge of his driveway and swung the hammer so violently into the side of his skull that he had to leverage a boot on the side of its face to pull it free. The moans were growing dangerously close and he half ran, half stumbled into his garage. The ten seconds it took for him to slide the garage door down as quietly as possible might have been the longest of his life. He kept thinking about how vulnerable his legs were and expecting a pair of teeth to come gnashing at them any second. The teeth never came but by the time he had the door slid down and the safety bar locked in place across the middle he was covered in sweat and the moans sounded like they were just a few doors down.

He took a deep breath, wiped the hammer off on one of his grease rags, and made his way back inside. Rita took one look at him and saw the blood, brain matter, and bits of skull stuck to his shirt and started to cry.

"They're here, now more than ever we need to be as quiet as possible. There was one in the driveway but I took care of it before the others came...that moaning you here? I think it's how they communicate, sort of like ringing the dinner bell."

Rita just squeezed their son tighter to her and gently kissed his forehead.

"Rita, come in the kitchen please." Mark tried to keep his tone as even as possible.

"Mommy will be right back honey, you sit tight here." She kissed his forehead again as she rose to her feet. Their son wasn't used to this much TV and was enjoying it for all it was worth, a blessing Mark was extremely thankful for.

"Rita, I need you to pull it together. We might have to fight our way out of this house and I need to know you'll pull your weight." Mark said once they were both out of Logan's hearing.

She nodded slowly "Of course I'll help you fight out of here. There's no way those things are gonna get their hands on my little boy."

He hugged her tight and kept her pressed against him for a moment before he let her fall away to an arms length. "Okay good, heres the plan if we have to go. If we can fight our way out of the garage then thats what we'll do, but if we can't we'll go out Logan's bedroom window and jump down into the bed of the truck. I backed it in like usual and it's only a six or seven foot fall. I'd rather go that way if we have since these things swarm and are vicious in close, think 28 Days Later, not The Walking Dead ok?"

She smiled at his joke despite its implications and again nodded her head.

"And you..." He slid the holster with the pistol in it off his belt "Take this." She grabbed it from him and begin to hook it on the outside of her jeans.

"You've never shot the rifle and the shotgun has a bit too much kick for you so you take the pistol ok?"

"Ok Mark, do you think we'll have to leave though?"

"I really hope not, but we have to be ready in case we do. I'm gonna go muzzle the dogs so they don't bring any attention to us and you just keep Logan quiet and away from the windows. "

"Ok." This time it was her that pulled him in and gave him a long, hard kiss. "Keep us safe if you ever want that to happen again." She said with the flirtatious smile that had hooked him in so many years ago.

"Yes ma'am!" He snapped off a mock salute and then followed her into the living room and then headed upstairs again. He opened the door to the dog room and both of them ran away from him and hid at the backs of their cages. The two steaming piles of dog waste in the middle of the room explained their actions.

"Its okay guys, you did what you had to do. Now I'm gonna convince you I'm not made at you by muzzling you." He laughed to himself. Some cajoling and wrestling later both dogs jaws' were clamped shut and Mark was doing his best to make them feel loved when a tidal wave of a moan built up outside his house. Both of the supposed "man-eaters" bolted back into their cages and Mark shot back to his feet. He inched the curtain back and then hit he deck as a gunshot pierced the air. He slowly rose to his knees and looked outside when he felt certain he wasn't under attack and was amazed at what he saw.

Dave Medina was his neighbor across the street and three houses down and by all accounts and observations, a completely passive and conservative individual. What Mark saw now was so out of character for the chubby, bald Mexican that he had to laugh. Dave was on the balcony extending from his master bedroom with what appeared to be a .22 rifle and a bottle of whiskey. He was a sight to be seen in his current state, swaying against the railings of the balcony and cursing at the crowd of over one hundred zombies pressing up against his house.

"CHINGA TU MADRE PUTOS!" He shouted out before letting a round fly from his rifle that struck one of the monsters in the shoulder. The zombie spun to the ground but was back on its feet within seconds. Mark watched as Dave took another swig of whiskey and steadied himself against the railing, carefully aiming in at one of the zombies near the street. He pulled the trigger and the creature dropped to the ground, and this time didn't get back up. Dave let out a triumphant cry and then aimed in on another one of the creatures. He began to get in a rhythm and probably would have been making a dent in their numbers if the shots weren't attracting a small group for every one that he killed. Mark briefly considered bringing out his AR and trying to help clear the horde but their numbers were already staggering and he didn't want to turn their attention on his home. After watching for just a few minutes Mark saw his greatest fears come true, the zombies closest to the front door were hammering on it with their fists and Mark could see it rattling in its frame. In his inebriated state Dave realized what was about to happen a split second before it did, and he watched his front door crash in. The zombies poured through the doorway like a horrible river and Mark saw Dave drain his bottle of whiskey. Less than a minute later the end came for the man who always had a wave and a smile for him and his family whenever they saw each other. The mostly glass French doors leading out to the balcony exploded in a shower of glass and three of the zombies rushed Dave before he could even get a shot off. They crashed through the railings and tumbled fifteen feet to the now empty pavement, the only mercy being that Dave Medina was good and dead before the zombies started to eat him.

Mark turned and slumped against the wall under the window and broke down. He kept his sobs as quiet as possible but their energy ripped through him. For close to a minute he stayed that way until a heavy weight landed in his lap. Mark looked down and smiled at the big eyes staring back at him and gave his dog a scratch behind the ears.

"Sorry about the muzzle pal, I can't take the risk." He gave him one more scratch and then turned back towards the window. Most of the zombies were still in the house but a few were making their way back out to the street. Mark let the curtain fall back into place and left the dog room to check out the office window again. He saw what he'd expected there, a stream of zombies was pouring west down all six lanes of Resler Dr occasionally stopping to investigate a noise, but generally moving further towards the western limits of the city. That realization gave Mark a glimmer of hope and he rushed down the stairs to deliver the news to his wife. He could tell when he got into the living room that his son was starting to get restless but Rita was doing a good job of keeping him occupied, Chutes and Ladders was currently her weapon of choice.

"What was that noise?"

"Dave, we won't be seeing him around for awhile."

"How many are out there?"

"A whole bunch...but they are moving west, if they keep going and we don't attract their attention then they'll run right into the military roadblocks! Those guys will be loaded for bear and they can start cleaning this up from the outside in."

"Do you really think that's what will happen?"

"Absolutely, if we just sit tight for another half day or maybe even until tomorrow I bet this will all start working itself out."

"If you say so..." Rita didn't look so convinced.

Mark knelt down next to her and placed one hand on his sons back. "Trust me babe, they'll start moving in and as close as we are to the city limits well be one of the first neighborhoods evacuated while our military and Mexico figures out what the fuck happened."

The next few hours were pretty monotonous, but mercifully uneventful. Mark would occasionally check the El Paso Times Twitter page but updates were few and far between. He took that to mean that more houses were meeting the same end that Dave Medina's had. Now more than ever he was thankful that he'd spent the extra money on the wrought iron grates over the windows and the steel security doors over the entryways. At the very least they should buy his family time to execute his bug out plan.

A few hours after the incident across the street, Mark was sitting on the floor playing a Memory game with his son while Rita napped on the couch. The herd outside his house was slowly thinning out and Mark was certain it was just a matter of a few more hours.

"I'll be right back kiddo, Daddy's gotta pee." Mark walked over to the bathroom and let it flow when he heard water rushing through his pipes despite him being midstream and not running any water.

"What the fuck?" He said aloud to no one in particular.

Mark pinched it off and zipped back up as a collective moan rose up outside his house. The sound startled his son and he started to cry, which added fuel to the fire growing out on the street. That's when Mark realized what had started this all, the water that was flowing through his pipes was leading to the sprinklers he had set up on an automatic timer outside for his grass. The realization that something so tiny and stupid could have cost him and his family their security hit him like a hammer to the gut. He quickly crawled under the toilet and shut off the master water valve for the house, stifling that source of noise as his wife was attempting to calm their son. Mark pulled the two long arms out of the closet and made sure both were loaded and ready to go just as an arm shot through one of the windows. Rita shrieked and Logan's wailing intensified as more arms shot through the glass, at least five of the monsters were clawing at the inside of his house and he knew more couldn't be too far behind. The bars were starting to bend now and he knew it was only a matter of time before his sanctuary was invaded by these vile creatures.

"Upstairs now!" He shouted at his wife who scooped their son up in her arms and fled up the stairs after him.

Mark looked out the window and saw that the attack appeared to be isolated on the north side of his house and the driveway was relatively clear of the zombies. He turned to Rita and looked her right in the eyes.

"We can do this but it has to be quick. You should be able to land in the bed of the truck and get in the moonroof without even seeing one of them. I'm going to cover you from up here okay?"

She couldn't bring herself to speak, she just nodded at him with tears in her eyes.

They could hear the bars outside the windows bending and the moaning was so loud it almost sounded like it was coming from inside the house already. Mark slid the window up and pulled the screen out.

"Go on babe, no time to waste!"

Rita ducked under the window and carefully walked across the few feet of roof jutting off the front of the house leading to the driveway. She looked back at Mark who winked and blew her a kiss and without another seconds hesitation she took the plunge off the roof. Mark immediately clambered out onto the ledge and was pleased to see that Rita had already lowered their son through the moonroof and was halfway in herself, and she'd done it all without bringing any extra attention to herself! He was a fraction of a second away from following her lead when a whimpering sound reached his ears from through the drywall.

"Fuck..."

Mark hoped he wouldn't regret his decision and dove back through the window frame, moving as fast as he could he reached the spare bedroom in seconds and dragged both dogs out of their crates by their collars. As he entered the hallway again with a dog under each arm he saw that his bars had finally been defeated and he could see three of the zombies crawling over the threshold of the window and into his living room. Quickly recognizing the danger Mark ducked back into his sons bedroom and immediately gave his position away as the long arms he had slung cross over his back slammed into the doorframe. He heard a snarl come from the living room and didn't think twice. Within seconds he'd landed heavily in the bed of his truck. He'd lost his hold on both dogs but they appeared uninjured from the fall. He was already tossing both of his firearms in the moonroof when the first undead face appeared in the window above him. Knowing that there was no time to stand his ground and fight he slowly lowered his bulk through the moonroof and slid into the drivers seat as the first two zombies simultaneously tumbled off the edge of the roof and hit the ground with a combination of slapping and snapping. Mark turned the key he'd left in the ignition and pulled out of the driveway, turning left and deciding to take his chances on the back roads instead of the main thoroughfare of Resler Dr. He glanced in the rear view mirror and saw the two who had fallen from the roof dragging themselves down his block, the fall had obviously done something to limit their mobility and they weren't able to pursue his truck. As he turned down another side street he realized he'd been locked in so tightly that he hadn't even been paying attention to Logan's screaming or his wife's sobs. The dogs could still sense something wasn't right and were hanging the front halves of their bodies out of the bed of the truck leaving them extremely vulnerable if they drove past any of the zombies.

"Rita, I'm gonna roll down the rear window. I need you to get the dogs in or theyll probably do something stupid."

Her face instantly lit up when she heard his words.

"You brought the dogs?"

He just jerked his head towards the bed of the pickup. Mark didn't think it was necessary to tell her that if they hadn't started whimpering when they did they'd both be zombie chow by now. That was a secret he was sure the dogs could keep.

She crawled between the captains seats in the front as he rolled the rear window down and within seconds both dogs were covering her and their now giggling three year old with kisses. Mark smiled to himself as he wound his way through the side streets, happy that his rash decision had at least improved his wife and sons mood for the time being.

As they rolled on Mark tried the various radio stations saved on his tuner but all the FM ones had gone dead. Realizing that his cities infrastructure was rapidly collapsing around him he was lucky enough to get a signal from the local AM news radio affiliate which was currently relating even further disturbing information.

The broadcast was originating from the national news center and was informing its listeners that several of the military blockades along border cities had been overrun including the ones leading out of El Paso, Nogales, San Diego, and several smaller towns in south Texas. The military was pulling back to regroup its forces and launch a counter attack but had apparently vastly underestimated the numbers they would be facing as well as how quickly they could move. Mark looked back to see the color had drained from his wife's face. Thankfully their son was blissfully unaware of this troubling development. His mind raced as he tried to figure out his next move, but it wasn't like he'd had a set destination in mind before, he jus wanted them all to get out of the house safely.

Suddenly it occurred to him, it the roadblocks had been abandoned he could get them out of the city and to the desert near his station where he could keep them hidden and safe! He might even be able to get some supplies from the station, no one would hold it against him and he'd return everything with interest when things got back under control.

"Mark you need to talk to me here...what do we do now?"

He could tell she was trying to keep her voice even for the benefit of their son but there was a definite note of panic creeping in.

"We're heading towards my station, we'll hide out in the desert until this all passes. There's all kinds of steel tanks filled with water out there for the ranchers cattle, it's away from all the population zones, and there's some old bunk houses we can use for shelter. Plus theres rabbits, coyotes, and even the ranchers cows to hunt out there if we need the meat. We just have to figure out a way to get there safely."

"Thank God you got home to us Mark, I don't know what we would've done without you."

"Don't say that yet, there's only one major road to the station and it'll be a bitch of a hike there if the roads are full of those things."

It was only a few more blocks to the highway that led to Mark's station and when he got there he knew instantly to expect trouble. The two hotels that were just off the exit ramp were smoking, cars were lined up bumper to bumper on I-10, and packs of zombies were roving everywhere. Less than a quarter of a mile away from them he saw a pack of them pursuing a family, and they were gaining quickly. The father was attempting to pull his teenage daughter along behind him but her legs didn't appear to have the strength to go on. After she fell for a third time the lead zombie in the pack had covered the distance and was on her. Before Mark could even begin to formulate a plan to help the zombies had fallen upon her and another group had backed the parents against the railing of the overpass leading over the highway. Mark and Rita watched in horror as the man kissed his wife, wrapped his arms around her and then hurled them both off the overpass and onto the asphalt twenty feet below them.

Without a thought Mark gunned the big V8 engine and went flying down the southbound lanes. Everyone in this area of the city had been trying to escape to I-10 in order to move east or west away from the city which left the southbound lanes leading to the emptiness of southern New Mexico completely empty of vehicles. The same could not be said for the zombies, and Mark approached the first group standing in his way at close to 40mph. The fiends charged right back at the three tons of steel bearing down on them. The bodies bounced off the front of the truck violently and made sickening crunching sounds as the big tires rolled over them. The blood flying, bones snapping, and impacts to the vehicle were too much and Rita began to shriek in terror as Logan's cries began to sound out inside the vehicle in response to the terror and carnage taking place outside his window.

Nancy1340

Post by Nancy1340 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:00 pm

OK now Nancy it''ll be OK, breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out.........And I'm not even blond.........anymore. :wink:

:clap: :clap:

Griffworks
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero Dead Movies, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Griffworks » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Excellent story thus far!

MOARPLZ!
"Zombies. Man, they freak me out."

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Griffworks wrote:Excellent story thus far!

MOARPLZ!
Thank you! I should have a new, large section edited within the next two days.

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:33 pm

A few miles and several dozen re-deceased or severely incapacitated zombies later, Marks pride and joy lurched across the state line from Texas to New Mexico. The windshield was starred and cracked almost to the point of no visibility, the right rear tire thumped along on the rim from whatever had punctured it, and steam rose from underneath the hood. They'd managed to drive to the outer most suburbs of El Paso and none of the zombies were visible in the rear view mirror, but the son was beginning to set and Mark shuddered at the thought of walking the remaining seven miles to his station with a three year old and danger lurking everywhere they went.
His trusty pickup took them another half mile before finally giving up and try as he might he couldn't hide the worry on his face from his wife. He'd seen how quickly the zombies could swarm a target and knew there was no way they could spend the night in the truck. The only option they had was to get moving on foot.

"We've gotta go babe, no other way around it. There's a development of houses less than a mile from here, we can get there before dark of we get moving right now."

"Okay, let's get going then."

With both long arms sling across his back Mark pulled his son from the car seat and set him on the ground. He knelt down to his eye level before speaking to him.

"We've gotta go for a walk buddy, we can't stay in the truck. I need you to be quiet for me ok? And if you get tired you let me know and we'll carry you ok?"

"I'm tired Daddy."

Mark smiled at his son and hoisted him up onto his hip.

"Lazy boy..."He said to his son as he rustled his hair.

"Mark what do you want me to grab?" Rita called from the rear of the truck.

"My Canelbak is near the tailgate, and shove some boxes of ammo into the rear pouch."

A moment later she was at his side with the Camelbak over her shoulders and a dog on either side of her.

"Lead the way hon."

They moved quickly through the abandoned southbound lanes on the highway but Mark couldn't shake his concerns of where all the people had gone from the vehicles gridlocked in the northbound lanes or where the bodies that left the bloodstains he frequently shielded his sons eyes from had one to.
Fifteen tense minutes later they arrived at the rear stone walls encasing the backyards of the homes marking the edge of Santa Teresa, New Mexico just as the sun began to set. Logan had fallen asleep with his head resting on his fathers shoulder a few minutes into the walk and now Mark motioned for Rita to set the Camelbak down and carry their son. After they traded their cargo Mark unslung the rifle and pressed the stock into his shoulder. He held up a hand to Rita to signal her to stay there and carefully inched his way around the front of the house. What he saw was not what he'd hoped for, the street stretching in front of the isolated row of houses was filled with at least twenty of the zombies, milling about with no apparent purpose. He pulled back behind the cover of the edge of the house and made eye contact with his wife, letting the rifle go on its sling he flashed his hands twice at her to give her an idea of how many were over there.

"What the fuck are we supposed to do Mark?"

His mind raced as he tried to think of a plan. He certainly didn't want to make the journey on foot to his station right now and truthfully he'd hoped they'd find a house to hold up in here and a vehicle to drive away...possibly back to his pickup to reclaim his cache of supplies.

He moved closer to his wife and spoke in a hushed whisper.

"Let's get out of the open and into this backyard, I haven't seen them climb yet so I think well be ok for a bit."

"Okay, you go first and I'll hand you Logan."

Mark nodded once and threw his body onto the top of the five foot high wall. Logan didn't take kindly to being jolted from his slumber and began to whine as he was passed from mother to father, despite Mark's hushes and coos soon a full blown tantrum erupted from the tired 3 year old. The snarling and moaning from around the corner told them that this had not gone unnoticed and soon the sounds of the zombies charging drowned out the wailing child. The two pitbulls recognized the threat to their masters and charged directly at the monsters, hamstringing two of them before Mark rolled off the top of the wall and lost sight of them. Rita quickly scrambled over the top of the wall as Mark landed on his feet inside the lawn further jostling and disturbing his son. The heads of the creatures were just visible over the top of the wall and Mark wasted little time in placing his son on the ground mid-tantrum and aiming in through the tube of his ACOG scope. The cracking of the bullets tore through the night as Mark felled every zombie that showed its face and soon their moans and snarls were no more. Worried that more would be attracted to the sound of gunfire from some of the other nearby developments Mark led his family to the sliding glass door at the rear of the house and pulled it open. Before he could cross the threshold two of the former occupants met him in a violent, teeth gnashing tackle that carried them halfway across the backyard. Mark swung his rifle viciously at his attackers so he could regain his feet and prepare for the same bullrushing tactics he'd experienced just one night prior in the desert outside the Metzgar Ranch house. As the first zombie closed the gap Mark sidestepped him and delivered a lunging stomp to the side of its knee that sent a piece of snapped bone piercing through the skin on the inside of its knee. The creature never acknowledged the pain and immediately tried to regain its footing as Mark engaged the other zombie with a buttstroke from his rifle that sent most of its teeth flying through the air and left its jaw hanging at a gruesome angle. The blow to the second zombie stunned it long enough for Mark to turn back to the first and change his grip on the rifle so that both hands were wrapped around the barrel. The zombie had apparently realized that it needed to crawl towards its prey since its shattered leg couldn't physically bear it's weight any longer which gave Mark the opportunity to line up his killshot. Lifting the rifle high above his head he sent the stock crashing into and through the monsters skull, leaving him only one more target. In the five seconds he'd been re-engaged with the first zombie the second had already righted itself and it was all Mark could do to get the length of his rifle in between his face and the gnashing teeth of the zombie. Before he could even attempt to escape its smothering, spastic, attack another gunshot cracked through the dusk air and Marks face was sprayed with blood as the zombie slumped off of his body and came to rest in the dirt next to him. Mark looked up to see his wife, still aimed in on the zombie with the pistol in one hand and their wailing child held against her body with her left arm.

"Shut him up and get inside!" Mark hissed as he got back to his feet.

They ran into the back of the house and Rita quickly attended to the task of quieting Logan who had definitely not appreciated the sound of a .40 pistol being fired just a few feet from his face. As Rita finally calmed him down Mark checked every room of the single story house and was thankful to find it all clear. In an even greater stroke of luck he opened the door leading to the garage and was greeted with a fairly new minivan.

"Not as manly as the King Ranch but it'll have to do I suppose." he said to himself with a smirk.

He walked into the living room of the house where Rita was rocking Logan back and forth in a recliner and gave her the good news.

"The rest of the house is clear and there's a van garage. I think we should eat here and sleep until dawn. Then we can drive to the truck, grab our supplies and make a beeline for the station before its even noon."

"Ok, I think he's gonna be out for the rest of the night. You know how he gets after a tantrum and he's had a long day. Help me up so I can lay him on the couch."

Mark helped his wife to her feet and watched her gently lay the sleeping toddler on the sofa and then followed her to the kitchen.

"I would have had him you know." He said to her with a smile on his face.

"Sure you would have...especially since it was a she, not a he that was about to turn your face into beef jerky." He was able to catch the smile on her face in the dying
light and pulled her in close.

"Thanks babe, you want to make dinner or should I?"

"Well there's no gas, electric, or water so I think you should be able to handle it." She replied with a playful smack on his chest.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah..." He said as he pushed her away and began to rout through the cabinets. A bag of chips and a few cans of tuna later they were both pretty full and they both returned to the living room where their son still slumbered on the couch.

Rita positioned herself on the cushions next to him and Mark began a perimeter check. The only side of the house with any activity was to the front where he'd seen the zombies originally. The noise from their arrival had stirred some interest and there was a small contingent of zombies roaming the block outside the house. Mark watched them, studied them really for the first time and was amazed at how tranquil they seemed now. They bounced off of each other and lumbered up and down the road. Some were missing parts of their faces, throats, or had significant portions of the flesh on their forearms gone but it was easy to tell that all of them had been bitten somewhere and reanimated into these walking corpses. Mark knew they'd be swarmed when they left in the minivan tomorrow but he also knew that if they kept quiet inside the house tonight they could prevent those docile cows outside from turning into the savage, bloodthirsty predators they were once a food source revealed itself. Mark was just about to let the curtain slide back into place when he noticed a small, red dot right next to his hand. Following it back in a straight line he could see that the house across the street had the curtains of one of it's upper windows pulled back and there was movement coming from there. Mark stayed very still and waited for the source of the light to make their next move. The dot began to blink on and off in what appeared to be some sort of pattern that Mark assumed to be Morse Code. He kicked himself for never bothering to learn it.

Nancy1340

Post by Nancy1340 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:01 am

Very good chapter. Thank you.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:42 am

Laser dot for morse code, great idea!

Oh yeah, MOAR?

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:52 am

Thank you Nancy and Lurch, that was the last of my pre-written stuff (I've been sitting on this since July) I'll do my best to get some new chapters done and edited soon. I have to ask when you are reading it does it feel polished? Like something I might be able to turn into a Kindle book?

Nancy1340

Post by Nancy1340 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:25 am

I don't see why not.

Griffworks
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero Dead Movies, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Griffworks » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:38 am

I like it, but there are editing issues. So no, it doesn't feel polished to me. Not that the syntax is an issue, it's spelling/grammar issues that I'm seeing. If you're looking to publish, you'll want to run it thru a few edits yourself, then find someone else to take a look and correct issues, etc...

Again, tho, I'm enjoying it as-is.

MOARPLZ! :awesome:
"Zombies. Man, they freak me out."

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:18 pm

Griffworks wrote:I like it, but there are editing issues. So no, it doesn't feel polished to me. Not that the syntax is an issue, it's spelling/grammar issues that I'm seeing. If you're looking to publish, you'll want to run it thru a few edits yourself, then find someone else to take a look and correct issues, etc...

Again, tho, I'm enjoying it as-is.

MOARPLZ! :awesome:
Thank you for the honest feedback.

Socrates187

Post by Socrates187 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:57 pm

If you're contemplating whether or not to turn this into an ebook, definitely go for it. Amazon has a great section dedicated to that stuff entirely. As others have said just work out the kinks in the editing department. Other than that your story is golden! Once again I must ask for moar :twisted:

Slagathor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them...

Post by Slagathor » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:34 am

Excellent......
WANT MOAR!!!!!:o

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:33 am

Socrates187 wrote:If you're contemplating whether or not to turn this into an ebook, definitely go for it. Amazon has a great section dedicated to that stuff entirely. As others have said just work out the kinks in the editing department. Other than that your story is golden! Once again I must ask for moar :twisted:
Thanks a lot!

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:06 pm

"We've got some company across the way." He said softly as he walked into the living room.

"More of those things?" Rita asked as her eyebrows raised.

"Believe it or not no...someone is over there trying to signal to us with a laser pointer. No sense worrying about it now, we've got to get in that minivan and get to my station."

There was someone across the street that was for sure. However, Mark didn't have anyway to signal back to whoever it was and he figured they would still be there in the morning.

"Someone just tried to signal us with some kind of laser pointer from across the street." He said to his wife.

"What did they say?"

Mark shook his head "I don't know, it seemed like Morse Code and I never did bother to learn that. They're stuck just like we are though, maybe we can contact them tomorrow in the light."

Rita let out a long yawn before responding "Whatever you think Mark. I've never been this tired in my life." She sprawled out on one of the coaches and put her feet up on the pillows.

"Get some rest babe, I'm gonna make one more check of the house and then I'm going to do the same."

Mark couldn't think of anyway to safely signal back to the other house so he gave a quick wave and let the curtain slowly slide back into place. He figured he could try to make contact tomorrow, but not at any risk to his family. Getting back to the truck and his supplies before continuing on to the station was of the utmost importance in his mind.

The stress of the day was finally pulling him down and he knew he wouldn't last much longer. He'd seen a refrigerator in the garage and went back out there holding out hope that there'd be something to help him relax before bed out there. When he opened the door and saw an almost full case of American Light beer and several bottles of liquor he titled his head to the heavens and thanked God for alcoholics. He cradled six of the beers in one arm, grabbed his rifle off the coffee table, and made his way up the stairs.

He figured he would keep an eye on things for a little while from up the upstairs window before going back downstairs and sleeping. The street lights were still on in this new development and he could see the creatures milling about the street below him. Their behavior remained the same as it had outside of his house, as long as nothing attracted their attention they remained relatively docile. He slowly twisted the cap off the beer and a smile was already on his lips as the golden liquid touched his tongue. As he polished that one off he focused his attention on the house where the red dot had come from earlier. It was very similar to the one he sat in now and there was no movement from it. He pondered the events of the past two days as he drained bottle after bottle and before he knew it he had six empties on the windowsill in front of him and he caught his head bobbing. He grabbed his rifle and slowly made his back into the living room and proceeded to set up some of the unused couch cushions on the floor. Sleep overtook his exhausted body within seconds.

When Rita woke him the following morning he instantly felt the stiffness in his muscles from the fist fights he'd been forced to have with these demons the past two days. Thankfully she'd gotten some coffee together and after a cup of java and a quick stretching routine he felt marginally better. He gently placed one hand on his sons head as be continued to sleep and said a silent prayer of thanks that he'd been able to get them all this far. Less than ten miles from here and they'd hopefully be in the safety of his station, with adequate supplies and in a pretty defensible position.

He smiled at his son and then walked over to the curtain, Rita was standing there looking out at the street.

"How did this happen Mark?"

"I have no idea hun, the station has all kinds of ways to communicate with DC and other Sectors. Maybe we can get some answers that way."

"Ok...so what's the plan for today?"

"Well I was planning on going back to the truck for the rest of our stuff but we've got plenty of ammo and we can just take food and water from here. All we need is for that van in the garage to get us ten miles to the station and we'll have everything we need there."

He hoped he wasn't being too optimistic, but he figured once things started clearing out here he'd always be able to get back to the truck.

Rita just nodded her head and kept staring out at the creatures roaming the street in front of her.

"We're gonna need to leave soon though babe, I don't want to be here any longer than we have to, this isn't nearly as safe as the station."

He could tell she was in a mood, not that he blamed her. But now wasn't the time. He pulled her in close to him and held her there for a moment before extending his arms and looking her in the eyes.

"We need to go now babe. I need you to take care of Logan and I'm going to load up that van. Just keep him quiet and be ready to go.

Less than ten minutes later he'd located the keys to the van and then loaded it up with food and plenty of water. If things got really hairy and they had to finish the journey on foot he wanted to make sure he had some supplies to finish out the stretch run. He also made sure to load the remaining beers and the bottles of liquor into the van, figuring he'd be deserving of a drink upon arriving at the station. Rita was holding their son and swaying from side to side to help keep him calm.

"Ok, time to go."

She followed him into the garage and quietly slid open the side door. The middle row of the van was comprised of two captains chairs while the back row was a bench. Wisely, she put their son in the seat away from the door and positioned herself there.

Mark got in the drivers seat and looked in the rear view back at her.

"There's a garage door opener here but I don't want a crowd of them waiting on the other side by the time it opens up. I'm just gonna ram it, you ready?"

She placed a hand on Logan's chest and nodded.

Mark started the engine and quickly popped the van into drive. The van didn't get above 15 mph but it hit the garage door and flung it out of the way. A crowd of the creatures was already turning in their direction by the time he turned out of the community and back onto the highway. They'd been driving nearly two miles before he finally saw the last one give up the chase and return in search of easier prey. Mark felt bad for a moment for whoever was trapped in the house across the street and prayed they had what they needed to make it through.

Another mile south from the development and they were in pretty desolate country despite the sprawling city of El Paso being visible only ten miles to their northeast. He kept pressing the van and they covered mile after mile extremely quickly until after just a few minutes he could see the radio tower at his station jutting up into the air. He looked back at Rita and smiled and she returned it.

About two miles from the station there was a very high overpass that went over a large set of railroad tracks. As he crested that he realized very quickly that they were in trouble. The highway went a few miles further south from where his station was where it ended in a Port of Entry into Mexico, Mark saw now that that Port had been overrun. A group of close to 100 of the zombies had been shambling up the highway and into the desert around it, but the movement and noise from the vehicle hanged all that. They charged all at once and began to cover the half mile between them and the Holliday's frighteningly quickly. Without hesitation Mark flipped the van around and sped off back down the overpass. He made a sharp turn into the desert and began following the access road which paralleled the railroad tracks.

The sudden swinging motion of the van and now the bumps it was taking had upset Logan who was now crying despite Rita's best efforts to comfort him.

"It's only gonna get worse from here!" Mark called back.

Most of the group had seen his escape maneuver and had peeled off into the desert, trying to cut him off. Mark just kept trying to keep the van steady on the loose gravel and sand road aware that the creatures were gaining on the slow moving grocery getter. He wished more than ever that he still had his truck and it's 4x4.

Wishing wasn't going to change the fact that he had another mile to go before be reached a place be could safely cross the tracks without risking getting high centered. Then it was a series of smaller dirt roads he used for work which would eventually lead him back to his station. In his mirrors he saw approximately 20 of the creatures still giving chase, he assumed the rest of the group had wounds that didn't let them keep up the pursuit or maybe these things had different levels of prey drive.

"There's only a about 20 still back there!"

Rita stared daggers at him "Oh only 20?! What a relief!"

He smirked slightly "We should lose a few more on the way." He didn't add that was assuming the wheels didn't fall of their current transportation first.

He crossed the tracks a few moments later and kept going south on the roads carved into the desert by PA's long ago. The vehicle kept slogging through the loose sand which had the added affect of slowing the zombies down. He watched as one by one they gave up the chase and disappeared behind sand dunes and mesquite bushes. Eventually the van got them back to the smaller state highway which ran east to west in front of his station and he knew they were home free.

"Those foreigners sure know how to build these things!" He said to Rita as he pulled up to the mechanized gate in front of his station. He looked behind him and didn't see a single zombie left, he smiled as he punched in the access code and the gate began to slide open. He pulled into the completely empty personally owned vehicles section of the parking lot and looked back at Rita.

"We made it babe!"

She had tears running down her face as she hugged their son to her chest and managed a smile and a nod of her head.

The station was more of a compound, consisting of several large buildings spread out on 17 acres. There were massive natural gas and diesel generators, a water tower, an armory, a fully equipped vehicle maintenance building, thousands of gallons of gasoline and an entire fleet of off road ready vehicles. The perimeter fence was chain link and the posts were sunk in deep concrete holes, the entire compound was covered by cameras, it was the perfect spot as far as Mark was concerned.

The possibilities were endless for what they could do here, but first he needed to make sure the facility was clear.

Return to “Fiction”