the Flesh Eaters

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RingWraithsAnonymous
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, World War Z

the Flesh Eaters

Post by RingWraithsAnonymous » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:12 pm

Hello, and welcome to the new 'long' story of mine. This wasn't the one I was originally planning on writing, but the original idea had too many plot holes that have yet to be worked out. So instead of what I had planned, I present to you: the Flesh Eaters. This one has so far been planned to be shorter than a Price for Every Head, but the former was originally supposed to be twelve chapters, and ended up being twenty one. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not making any concrete claims as to it's length. It might be shorter. It might be longer. Who knows.

Let me know what you think, I hope you enjoy, and as always, thanks for reading.

---

the Flesh Eaters

Chapter 1: Corn Country

When the infection had struck a year and a half prior, a lot had changed.

The green SUV barreled down county road HH, abandoned crop fields filled with dead stocks on either side. It's driver was taking directions from the navigator, who was reading a large fold out map. Three more people sat in the middle row, all holding guns in their hands in case it came to it. In the third row, leaned over their supplies in the cargo space the sixth passenger in the vehicle was watching out the back window in case of pursuit. He was armed with a rifle and taking occasional drags from a cigarette.

"That was a close one earlier." one of the men in the middle row said as he adjusted his glasses. His name was Ben, and he was a pasty, balding man in his late thirties, and had a shotgun in hand.

"You don't fucking say." The man in the back remarked. He was Kane. He wore a baseball cap that covered that top of his messy brown hair. A long beard adorned his face, with traces of gray starting to show.

The woman next to the bald man said, "Yeah Ben, way to be Captain Obvious." Farah had long, dark hair pulled back in a ponytail, and had a revolver in one hand and the hand of her boyfriend (who happened to round out the middle row) clasped tightly in the other.

"Cut him some slack." The driver said, adjusting his sunglasses and swiping his black hair out of his eyes, "Really need a haircut." he muttered.

"If I get an opinion on this matter," Farah's blond boyfriend, Ron, stated, "I agree with Evan. That really was a close call."

"Isn't that all our lives are now?" The navigator, a brunette named Nicole, asked, "A series of close calls."

"So depressing, but totally true now that you mention it." Ron said.

"Truth be told, I'd rather not talk about this morning." Kane told them, "That was too many of the flesh eaters for my taste."

"One flesh eater is too many." Farah said.

"True true." Ron agreed, "Now where in the hell is it we're going exactly, Evan?" he asked.

"Ask the navigator." Evan told him, "I'm just following directions."

"Well?" Ron prompted impatiently.

"A little township a few miles down the road." Nicole told him, "A place called Prairie Valley."

"I miss the city." Ben said wistfully, "This backroads stuff got old quick."

"Go ahead then if you want." Kane told him, taking a drag from his cigarette, "I'm sure as hell not gonna stop you from committing suicide."

Ben rolled his eyes, "I meant I miss the city from before the flesh eaters."

"I still don't see why we don't just call them zombies." Farah said, "I really don't."

"Cause," Evan stated, "Zombies are slow and stupid. Flesh eaters are fast, and fairly smart- though I'll admit, still not the brightest. Did you ever see a zombie pick up a broken 2x4 and use it to pummel someone to death in the movies?"

"God why can't we just drop this already!" Nicole groaned, "We don't need to have another argument over what they should be called. They're monsters! They don't care, why should we?"

"Just make one comment..." Farah mumbled.

---

A few minutes of mostly silence later, they reached the township called Prairie Valley. It was a microscopic little place, small enough it didn't even have a population sign. Other than a few houses, it had a baptist church, a feed and general store, and a small picnic area. The church was boarded up, and had a couple dozen cars parked around it, many off in the grass next to the small gravel parking lot out front. The feed store's front door was open, and it's windows had been shattered. In the picnic area the grass was tall and overgrown, but that didn't stop the careful observer from making out gnawed on skeletons casually strewn throughout. A smashed and bloodied car was sitting down the road a short ways, and had no doubt been sitting there since it's windows had been smashed in and the owners torn to pieces by the flesh eaters.

Evan stopped the vehicle in front of the store and got out, grabbing his rifle and stowing his sunglasses in his shirt pocket. The others got out as well, all of them bringing their guns with them.

It was early autumn, and the weather reflected that. The breeze was cold, making the group thankful for their jackets and button up shirts. The sky was gloomy, and leaves were just beginning to change colors.

A few birds made noise, but other than that the only sounds in the area were the breeze and the creaking of the feed store's open front door, which blew in the breeze.

"Not much longer and we're gonna be needing gloves and sock hats again." Evan remarked.

There was a sudden cacophony of noise from the church that consisted of snarls and the beating of multiple fists on doors. Apparently whatever it was that was barricaded inside knew they were out there, and wanted out.

"So where do you want us?" Ron asked Evan after a slight pause.

"I don't want to stick around long. For now I want Ben, Farah, and you to come with me into the feed store. We'll see if there's anything left to grab. That noise coming from over there is gonna draw in more of them. No way in hell is that church getting opened up though. That leaves Nicole and Kane to guard the ride."

The five others nodded, understanding their jobs. As the others grabbed their bags and began to head into the store, Kane headed to the abandoned car. He opened the door and looked for a key, finding one in the ignition. When he turned it it fired to life, but he was disappointed to find that the gas gauge hung just barely above empty. He turned off the ignition, tossed the key into the grass, and got out, sitting down on the hood. Nicole just stood next to the SUV looking around and keeping a hand on the bolt action rifle slung over her shoulder.

Eventually Kane came back, dropping the cigarette butt on the ground and smothering it. He sighed and said, "You figure we'll ever run into anybody out here? Other than the occasional thief or group of thugs wanting to take our stuff?"

"Maybe." Nicole replied, "Wouldn't count on it."

"Me either. Hell, if we ever did run into normal people, I'd probably get too suspicious and shoot em." he said matter of factly. He shook his head, "Crazy world we live in. Us talking about murder like it's normal."

"Us? Pretty sure it was just you."

"Fair enough darling. So... what do you say we get some privacy at some point tonight, get a little action?"

She laughed at his proposal, "For the last time, no." she said with a smile.

"Oh come on, why not? You know Farah and Ron are off getting some when we aren't looking too hard. Why not you and me?"

"Because,"she told him, her smile slowly fading, "I don't know. I guess I'm just-"

"No, I get it." Kane said, rolling up his sleeves "Even after all this time, you still can't let go of Darius."

"Do you ever think about it?" She asked him, her tone sober, "Last year, when we were at that farm."

"I try not to. Brings back too many memories." he explained.

"Yeah... I don't think about it much. Sometimes I do though, and I remember that last day. When they lit the farm house on fire..."

"Fucking people man," Kane spat, "It sounds cliche, but sometimes I'm not sure which is worse: the flesh eaters, or people."

There was a sharp crack of some boards breaking heard over the noise of the flesh eaters inside the church, and the pair raised their firearms, looking at the once holy building.

Ron burst out of the store, "Did that come from the-?"

Kane didn't let him finish his sentence, "Yes. Tell Evan and the others to hurry up in there."

Ron nodded and quickly headed back inside. In less than a minute he was heading back out, followed by the others. Their duffles were partially filled with various goods.

"How was the haul?" Nicole asked, keeping her eyes and rifle barrel on the church.

"Not bad. Mostly some canned goods. A few boxes of ammo too." Evan told her, "Let's get this stuff unloaded into the back!" he ordered, popping the back doors open.

As they began to empty their bags, there was another series of loud cracks. A flesh eater darted out from the other side of the church, saw them, and made a guttural holler. Nicole tensed up at the sight of it. It's hair had gone white, and it's skin was just as pale. It's eyes were open wide and focused right on her, and it's hands and arms were covered in blood and full of splinters from smashing against the barricades. It charged at them, and Kane shot it twice, once in the jaw and once above the left eye. It hit the ground and tumbled, and the sounds of the flesh eaters intensified.

"We've gotta go! Now!" Kane shouted at the people still messing with the supplies. "Just dump you bags in we can sort it later!"

"You heard the man!" Evan said, tossing his bag inside and running to the driver's seat.

A few more flesh eaters appeared and started running toward them.

"Go! I'll shoot 'em, you guys get your asses in the car!" Kane told them, popping off rounds at the undead abominations.

Nicole ran for her door as the others began to get in the car. Kane was backing up as he fired and more flesh eaters came around to their side of the building.

"Oh shit!" he yelled as one came out of the bushes and tackled him. The others were oblivious to the scuffle as they got in the vehicle and secured themselves. Kane and the flesh eater rolled around on the pavement some, the eater's fingernails digging into his arms. He managed to bash it with the butt of his rifle, and with a few more bashes, Kane killed it. When he got up the others were almost on him, just ten feet away.

"Hurry!" Evan yelled, as the others began to urge him to get inside.

"Go go go!" Kane yelled as he jumped in the back. He climbed over the flats of canned food and boxes of ammo, shutting the one of door behind him as the SUV took off. A flesh eater had a hold of the ball hitch, and was was being drug along the road as they escaped the horde. Kane shot out the still open second door, killing it. He then shut the door and climbed into his seat. He adjusted his hat and breathed a sigh of relief.

"You get nabbed?" Evan asked him.

Kane looked at his reddened sleeves from where the creatures fingers had stabbed into his arms. "No." he lied, knowing all too well that fifty percent of the time scratches were fatal. Still better odds than a bite. Had he told the truth... he knew for a fact that it wouldn't take long for there to only be five people in the SUV, whether he'd actually gotten infected or not.

"Glad you made it in time." Ron told him.

"Me too man." Kane replied. He took a rag out of his back pocket and wiped the blood off, before rolling his sleeves back down over the wounds to conceal them.
Last edited by RingWraithsAnonymous on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you think about it everybody lives in the same place: somewhere between the Empire of the Penguins, and the Kingdom of the Elves.

My Fiction on ZS:
a Price for Every Head
Dead Memories
the Bigger Monster
the Flesh Eaters
the Watcher

bodyparts
Favorite Zombie Movies: land of the dead

Re: the Flesh Eaters

Post by bodyparts » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:48 pm

wow! good start! thanks for sharing. tool using, thinking, fast ... this should be interesting !

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:09 am

Great start! Me wants MOAR! :clap: :clap:
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

RingWraithsAnonymous

Post by RingWraithsAnonymous » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:01 pm

Another week, another update. Let me know what you think, I hope you enjoy, and as always, thanks for reading.

Chapter 2: the Nine

It was the next day, and Kane could feel a fever coming. That wasn't a good sign. Some lived through it... most didn't. So far nobody had noticed his affliction. He was hoping things would go in his favor. If they didn't, he'd probably do... it... himself, go out on his own terms.

That night they'd slept in the hayloft of a barn. So long as they were quiet, the flesh eaters nor anyone else would find them. It had stormed, and was still raining by morning when they'd woken up. Evan had been the last one on watch, and was sitting by the window of the loft, watching the abandoned and animalless farm below.

"So what hell hole are we off to next?" Ron asked the group as Ben got out the breakfast.

"Like it really matters?" Kane commented.

"Gotta love you guys' optimism." Farah said sarcastically.

"Ready to eat guys?" Ben asked, producing a half dozen canned goods.

"Not this again." Nicole groaned.

"If you want something cooked," Evan told them, "Go out and get some kindling. And while you're at it, shoot some squirrels and rabbits."

"I happen to like..." Ron said, taking a minute to read the label on his can, "Best Value canned peas."

Farah scoffed, "Hon, we all know that's a lie."

"You're right, it is." he admitted without hesitation, "Hey Ben, mind swapping me out for some canned meat or something?"

"Ron, you know all too well we're rationing that stuff." Kane told him.

He rolled his eyes, "Fine. I'll eat my damn peas. Y'know, one of these days we'll actually have to go into a real town."

"You think so?" Nicole questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Well yeah, don't you? There's only so much to be had out here. And everybody's avoiding the towns like the plague. In theory, we're gonna run out of stuff out here, and also in theory, the towns will be almost untouched."

"That'll be the day..." Kane told them.

"Hey Evan, you gonna come eat?" Nicole asked him.

"Not hungry." he answered, "Though I might be in a minute. You got a route planned for today?"

"You watched me mark up the map last night." she replied.

"Oh, right...." he said, having forgotten.

"I'm going to take a dump guys, be back shortly." Ron informed the group.

"Careful out there." Evan told him.

"Yes mom." Ron said, rolling his eyes as he started to climb down the ladder.

"I'll be honest," Kane said, swallowing a bite of carrot, "this shit still hasn't grown on me yet."

"I miss the garden." Farah reminisced, "Mostly for the tomatoes."

"Never did like tomatoes." Ben said, "Now those carrots... yes sir, those were the stuff."

"Can we not talk about fresh food please? Every bite of this stuff is getting worse." Nicole joked.

Evan got up and walked over to where the rest of the group sat, close to the sleeping bags. "What'd you save for me, Ben?" he asked.

Ben held up a dented can of peaches.

---

They were loading their gear into the car. It seemed Ron had gotten food poisoning of some sort, as this was his second time going into the woods to go #2. Food poisoning was the last thing any of them wanted, though Kane had made a few jokes at Ron's expense during his absence.

"Guess we won't be making as good of time today." Ben commented on the matter.

"How you figure?" Kane inquired, fidgeting with the ends of his sleeves.

"I have the impression we'll be making a lot of bathroom breaks."

"Damn, you're right." Evan said, "Hey Kane, you willing to take the first shift at the wheel?"

"Yeah, sure." was the response he gave.

"You good Kane?" Farah asked, "You're looking a little pale."

"I'm fine." he snapped. Out of his mouth came a sad attempt at laughter, "Aren't we all pale in this day in age? Just saw my first gray hair the other day, pretty sure the stress is finally getting to me."

"OH JESUS!!!!!" Ron shouted in startlement some thirty yards away.

"Ron!!!" Farah screamed, grabbing her gun and running in his direction.

"Oh for fuck's sake..." Evan muttered as the he and the others soon followed suit.

There were some gunshots and swears, and when they caught up they found Farah and Ron standing over a dead, male flesh eater that was laying on it's back.

"What in the hell?!" Evan demanded, "What in the ever living hell was all that racket about over one fucking flesh eater?!"

Ron swallowed, looking rather shaken. "I had just wiped my ass over a few yards closer to that creek, and had pulled my pants up. I was just starting to walk back and- and... that's when it jumped me."

"Don't be ridiculous," Ben scoffed, "Flesh eaters don't 'jump' people. You can hear them screaming and carrying on from half a mile to a mile away, if it's quiet out like this that is."

"You don't understand!" Ron defended, "I turned and saw it watching me! It was right under that tree." he stammered, pointing to an old hedge about ten yards away. "I don't think it meant to be spotted. We locked eyes and- well, I panicked. I've never been out in the open, that close to one, without knowing about it, y'know? I- oh God...."

"It's alright baby." Farah whispered to him, giving him a long embrace.

"Sounds like horse shit." Kane said.

"I don't know," Ben said, reconsidering his opinion on the issue, "We've seen some of them carry pieces of wood like clubs or tools as weapons and such before, which means some are obviously smarter than others. Maybe some are even smarter than those. Maybe, if you'll entertain the thought for just a second, maybe Ron really was being watched. Maybe it was waiting to see what he'd do. Maybe it was sneaking up on him. Maybe-"

"Maybe he was going to track him." Nicole interrupted.

The six of them were silent for a minute, warily eyeing the surrounding forest.

"That's a lot of maybes." Evan told them after a time, "Let's hit the road. We can discuss this more later."

---

The SUV engine started soon after the six survivors had entered the vehicle. As the last door closed and the vehicle pulled out of the farm's long driveway, a figure stepped out from the trees and watched it leave, making note of which direction they turned.

It gave a motioning gesture and eight others came out of the trees as well.

"They killed him." One said.

"Yes. We'll kill them. Savor the taste." Six replied.

"Must use caution." Four warned, "There's more of them than most."

"Fuck that Four." Seven spat, "They will die."

"Nine must have revenge." Two said quietly.

Five rarely spoke, and thus, had nothing to add to their primitive dialogue.

"We follow!" Ten- who would shortly become the new Nine -shouted angrily.

Eight, who had been the first to come out, turned to face them, "Yes. We will get blood."

And with that, the nine flesh eaters melted back into the forest and began to track the SUV.
If you think about it everybody lives in the same place: somewhere between the Empire of the Penguins, and the Kingdom of the Elves.

My Fiction on ZS:
a Price for Every Head
Dead Memories
the Bigger Monster
the Flesh Eaters
the Watcher

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:12 am

Oh crap! :shock: Intelligent zombies! :ohdear:
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

bodyparts

Post by bodyparts » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 am

:shock: OH CRAP INDEED!! thanks for the update!

Texican2

Post by Texican2 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:58 am

RWA,

Smart zombies that talk and hunt live people....

What else will happen????

Texican....

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:15 pm

III'MMM BAAACK! Yes I really like the idea of a intelligent(well somewhat smart) zombie for a change. Can't wait for the run down to commence.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

RingWraithsAnonymous

Post by RingWraithsAnonymous » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:52 pm

To idahobob; bodyparts: Intelligent zombies are definitely an 'oh crap' worthy thing.
To Texican2: 'What else will happen?' Only the updates to come will tell I suppose.
To DAVE KI: Glad to hear of your return. Hopefully you'll stick around to see how this one plays out.
To All: Sorry for the update being posted a day later than intended. It's here now though, so hopefully that's worth something.

Let me know what you think, I hope you enjoy, and as always, thanks for reading

Chapter 3: Setbacks

The spiteful creatures had an easy time following the SUV, between the sounds of the engine and the smells from their occasional pit stop, it was a piece of cake. The only hindrance they were having was the fact that the automobile could travel sixty miles an hour, and they could average about five.

If luck was on their side, they would catch up eventually though. If luck wasn't, then the six people in the SUV would remain blissfully unaware of the vengeful pack that had tried to hunt them down.

Only time would reveal which side luck leaned toward.

---

It was Ben's turn at the wheel, driving down an empty road surrounded by dense forest on either side. One of his theories- the one about their slower travel -was proven correct. Nobody was quite sure what in the blue hell Ron had eaten that hadn't agreed with him, but what they did know was that they didn't want it, whatever it was.

It was early evening, and the wind rustled the changing tree leaves roughly. They'd just gotten back on the road after another one of Ron's 'restroom' breaks. If you could really compare a patch of secluded bushes to a restroom stall, that is.

"You know, something about that flesh eater from this morning..." Ben started, "It's been bugging me. I don't know why either, just something about it's been nagging at me."

"Almost out of smokes." Kane remarked from the back seat, lighting a fresh cigarette.

"Why not quit?" Evan said distractedly as he looked out on the window.

Ben sighed, seeing that his ponderings had gone ignored.

"I've got enough stress as is."

"How much farther is the dam?" Ben asked.

Nicole scanned the map, "Only got a few miles left. We'll be there soon."

"Thank the Lord." Ben replied, "I'd rather not pull over again for Ron's leaky ass."

"Yeah fuck you." Ron told him.

"So Evan," Farah said, "You think we'll ever settle down again? Have a place like we had at the farm?"

"I don't know why you're asking me." he muttered, still staring out at the window. A twinkle of light glittered off the wedding ring he was absentmindedly fidgeting with in his hand.

"You always seem to be the one with the answers." She told him.

"Why? Because I was a firefighter?"

"Because, you were in charge of most of the stuff at the farm and-"

"Fuck the farm." he said spitefully, clenching the ring in a fist. He took a deep breath. "Besides, I'm not in charge of jack shit anymore. Nobody's 'in charge' here. This isn't like it was, you know that. I always figured this was more of a co-op than anything."

"Okay... you still didn't answer my question."

"Well you know what? Here's an answer: fuck off! You wanna know what I think? I think we're all gonna die out here! There, I said it! America is fucked, the human race is fucked, and more importantly we are fucked!"

"Hey, calm down." Ron told him, "No reason to get so mad. She just asked you a question asshole."

Kane sighed, "It's gonna be one of those nights." he said under his breath.

"What, you don't like the truth? Then fuck you too!" Evan declared.

"Look, just cause shit ain't your fucking way doesn't mean-"

"Shit's not my fucking way? You don't say! Shit's nobodies' way! I don't know about you but I didn't plan on spending my last days driving from one Podunk to another!!! We are just-"

"Shut up!!!" Ben shouted, "Everybody, please. I'm trying to drive." He waited for a minute, and after nobody said anything he mumbled, "Thank you."

Evan took off his sunglasses before folding his arms and closed his eyes, leaning up against the door and stuffing the ring in his pocket.

Shortly after they rounded a corner. Up ahead the trees gave way to a grassy field, but before any of them had time to notice or care, the tires popped on an unseen spike strip. Ben hit the brakes and fought to maintain control of the vehicle. It eventually came skidding to a stop.

Everybody grabbed their guns and got down low in response, none of them too sure what was about to happen next.

"What the hell was that?" Kane asked.

"Oh shit. Oh shit. Oh shit." Evan was saying quietly, his eyes darting around to peer out the windows.

"I saw something moving!" Nicole shouted, rolling down the window of the still running vehicle. She looked ready to poke the barrel of her rifle out the window if the need arised.

"Where!" A few voices demanded.

"Out in the field." She told them nervously.

The six of them turned to face it. An abandoned tractor sat in the center of that ugly patch of grass and weeds she'd called 'the field'. They waited, and it wasn't long before a figure stuck his head (and firearm) around the front of the large piece of machinery. Another came out from the other side, and as both began to fire, the six frightened survivors began to unload on them.

After a barrage of gunfire lasting roughly a minute, the two ambushers were dead and riddled with lead.

"Th-there aren't any more, are there?" Ben asked.

"I doubt it." Farah assured him.

Kane put in his two cents, "Besides, if there are any more, they've probably been shot too."

"Evan! Your arm!" Ron exclaimed.

Heads turned to look at the man, who was gritting his teeth and putting pressure on a wound near his bicep. Blood was slowly leaking down the length of his arm and dripping down onto the seat.

"Well damn." He groaned, "One of those sons of a bitches shot me!"

"We're fucked, you know it?" Ben stated, sudden realization hitting him.

"How?" Nicole asked.

"We only have one spare tire."

---

The sun was just starting to set. The bodies had been drug into the bushes, and Evan's arm had been bandaged.

Evan was off by himself, sitting at the edge of the road about ten yards away from their immobilized transportation. As the others stood around and discussed potential plans and tossed out ideas as to what to do next, Nicole decided to go talk to him. As she walked over he noticed her, and took off his sunglasses. She saw that he had a smoldering cigarette in his good hand.

"Where'd you get the smoke?" she inquired.

"Bummed it off of Kane."

"Didn't know you smoked."

"I don't. Well, I used to. Got off the habit years ago. Just kinda needed one I guess."

There was a long silence, as neither of them was sure what to say next.

"You okay?" Nicole asked Evan.

"Not really." he chuckled, raising his bandaged arm.

"I meant earlier. When you kinda freaked out. What was that about?"

"Oh, in the SUV..." he sighed, "Today's just not a great day for me, I guess..." he took a deep breath, "But I'm guessing you want more than that before you'll leave me alone?"

She nodded "Mhm."

He sighed, "It's Alyssa's birthday."

"Damn, I'm sorry I-"

"It's fine, really, it's just... I'd rather not talk about it."

"Yeah, yeah, I understand." Nicole told him, "If you ever want to though-"

"-you're there?" he finished, then adding "I appreciate the offer, I do, really... I doubt I'll take you up on it though."

"You wanna know what's got me worried?" Nicole asked him.

"Sure, why not."

"We made a hell of a racket earlier. With as much noise as we made, something's wrong about our situation."

"What do you mean?"

"No flesh eaters have showed up yet."

"Maybe our luck is finally taking a turn for the better." he proposed optimistically.

"Never was much of a believer in luck myself."

My Fiction on ZS:
a Price for Every Head
Dead Memories
the Bigger Monster
the Flesh Eaters
the Watcher

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:34 am

They are so screwed! :ohdear:

RingWraithsAnonymous

Post by RingWraithsAnonymous » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:45 pm

To idahobob: You think they're screwed huh? Guess we'll have to see if that decree is true or not in the coming chapters.
To all: I tried and tried, and somehow couldn't manage to come up with a decent title for this one. If anyone comes up with a cool one, I might just use it. If not, then that's also fine. Either way this will probably turn into a running joke between me and my proofreader.

Let me know what you think, I hope you enjoy, and as always, thanks for reading.

Chapter 4: [Untitled]

The sun was about fifteen, maybe twenty minutes from disappearing, and the six survivors were as close to a solution to their predicament as they had been, nearly ten minutes prior. Kane wasn't present, having walked down the road to see what lie ahead. Possible solutions had included camping at the side of the road or walking to the dam, and stopping at the campsite near it's location. Both had their issues: camping was risky, given the proximity to the firefight, and the dam was too far away. They could walk there, but it would be very dark, and 'very dark' wasn't the domain of the living. It was the breeding ground of the dead.

The five grew silent as they saw Kane running back toward them. They watched as he got close, stopping about fifteen feet away. He stooped over, hands on his thighs, trying to catch his breath.

"You find anything?" Evan asked.

Kane looked up at him, his eyes almost hidden under the brim of his hat, "Not much. There's a trailer house down the road, but if we don't head there now we will be out here in the dark. And I don't know about you motherfuckers, but I'm kind of afraid of the dark these days."

"Sounds better than nothing." Ben said, "I suggest that we do it. We can start for the dam tomorrow."

"What about the supplies?" Nicole said, "There's no way we could carry all of it down to the trailer, then to the dam with us."

"We could find another car or something tomorrow." Farah suggested.

"What about between now and then? We can't just leave all our shit stranded." Ron told her.

"We draw straws." Evan said, "Loser stays put, sleeps in the SUV, guards the stuff until we meet up again tomorrow morning. The rest of us fill our bags with some food and ammo."

Everyone seemed to agree with that one. Bags were filled and straws were drawn, and afterward five of the six headed down the road.

Ron lost.

---

Farah awoke in her sleeping bag to a scraping noise coming from outside, moonlight from the edges of the windows painting her face.

She and the other four were sleeping in the bedroom of the trailer house. The place had been trashed, and had been picked clean a few times over. The windows were boarded up though, which was certainly a plus. The front door was off it's hinges as well, thus the decision to all sleep in one room. Bullet holes riddled the walls, and there were more than a few old bloodstains, though no bodies had been found. The only living things they'd seen around, other than themselves, was a few spiders up in the corners of the ceiling and a mouse in the closet.

She heard the noise again, and waited. She hoped it was just the wind.

A coughing rasp identified it as something else however.

She sat there, silent and unmoving. Her revolver was next to her, but there was no way in hell she was going to use it at that moment. She'd rather whatever it was- most likely flesh eater -not know she or Ben or Evan or Nicole or Kane were in there.

She slowly looked over at the other four sleeping bags. She saw that Evan too was awake, but like her, was unmoving. Nicole stirred, then bolted upright upon hearing a distant cry of one of the undead. Farah and Evan cringed, motioning her to stop. She caught on rather quickly, and slowly eased down.

The three of them all prayed for an uneventful night.

---

Ben awoke very early that morning. It had been an extremely stressful night, with flesh eaters wandering about for quite some time during the night.

He looked around, and saw that he was the only one up. He waited, listening for any noises, but heard nothing other than the others' breathing and a faint ringing in his ears. Except for one sound that is: the calls of flesh eaters. Yet, those were distant, and he reasoned that with caution, he and the others would be safe. He yawned and rubbed his eyes before putting on his glasses and quietly getting up.

He had to take a piss. He had to take a piss bad. He crouched back down and grabbed his shotgun. He had no intention of using it, but one never could be too careful. Especially in times like those.

He quietly opened the door, cracking it enough for him to slip through. He brushed away a abandoned spider web from the night before and stealthily headed out the front door. The sun was just barely up, and the sky was still mostly dark. Ben shot quick glances around the overgrown yard before wading out into the grass. He walked a short distance along the wall before leaning his gun against it and unzipping his pants.

He sighed, the pressure relieved. He zipped his pants back up and grabbed the gun. A feral shriek from behind him almost caused him to jump out of his skin. He whipped around, gun raised, and saw a flesh eater charging toward him from down the road, carrying a broken off piece of tree branch. He took aim and waited for it to close- about thirty feet off. He wasn't ever the best shot, and besides, his understanding was that the shotgun was a closer range weapon anyway. At least, he personally had never shot anything farther away than forty five feet with it. He pulled the trigger, the recoil hit his shoulder, and the flesh eater went down.

He took a deep breath, but was still alert. His head darted around, trying to see if there were any more.

"Ben!" Nicole's voice shouted from the trailer.

He turned around and saw her looking out the front door at him. Hollers and calls in the distance indicated that more flesh eaters were on their way.

"Get inside!" He shouted, heading toward her, "Wake the others up, and grab your guns!"

---

Up the road, by a tractor out in an overgrown, weedy field, a green SUV was out in the middle of the road, it's tires popped. The sun was just starting to creep up over the tree tops. The wind rustled and blew the leaves, making them dance. The sky was a shade of deep blue that one rarely saw except on autumn days.

Ron stared up at the sky blankly from where he was laying on the pavement. His mouth was wide open, and he remained transfixed on the sky above. A fly landed on his forehead, crawled across his eye- which stayed open -and his cheek, before crawling up his nose. Ron's expression didn't change- in fact, he didn't react at all. The fly came out of his decapitated head at the throat, rubbing it's front legs together before flying off.

His torso, and the rest of his body was a few feet away, and gory. Flesh eaters were busy tearing apart his chest and rib cage, getting what they could while it was still fresh. Eight had already had his fill and was sitting on the roof of the green SUV, staring down the road.

"They're close." he told the others.

"Yes." Three agreed, "Gunfire."

"Must find them!" Ten shouted before tearing a piece off of one of the internal organs.

"Where are they?" Six asked.

"Can't know." Two told him, "Gunshots were distant."

They began to squabble amongst themselves, and Eight watched them, studying those he led. The were all similar, but at the same time so different. Sometimes the only things that seemed to connect them were the numbers painted in blood on their chests and their insatiable appetites. Not that Eight knew- or rather remembered -what the word insatiable was.

One had a red line that went up the length of his tattered and stained t-shirt. He had a pair of knives that he idolized, his prize possessions. At one point (back when the old Nine was alive) there had been eleven. Eleven had died when he'd taken one of One's knives. The very knife that had gutted Eleven was serving a similar purpose while he feasted upon the corpse of a man none of them knew the name of.

Two's number was on the back of his soiled denim jacket. His wooden baseball bat was down next to him as he tore into the corpse's throat with his bare teeth. A multitude of nails poked out of the bat from all angles. Some had bits of gore stuck to them, but the entire top half of the weapon was covered in dried blood.

Three's number was on his face, and was unique in that it consisted of his own blood, not the blood of his prey. As such, he had a multitude of cut scars on the palm of his left hand. His machete was discarded on the pavement, and had been the weapon to kill Ron, having cut his head off in two half-way clean chops.

Four's number was painted directly on his bare chest. He seemed to ignore the cold, and was the only one without a weapon. As it was, he was still the most dangerous of them, and certainly the most agile. His face, like the others, was smeared in Ron's blood.

Five's number was painted on his shirt multiple times. His face was covered by a mask, a mask he'd sewn into his own face, a mask that was someone else's face. He'd made a crown of thorns for himself and wore it at all times, along with the mask. The crown was stained with the blood of his fingers. His weapon of choice was a brick, and he rarely talked. Eight figured at most he only ever had something to say about once, maybe twice a month.

Six's number was on his shirt. He had led them for a time. Those days were over though. Eight was in charge now, their unspoken leader of sorts. Six scooped some of the blood that had pooled in the chest cavity into his hands and slurped it up, splashing some onto his face. He always was the messiest eater among them.

Seven's number was stitched onto his forehead. He had a way with needles, and had a small tin with sewing materials in his pocket. His hatchet was off to the side, having been used to cut off the left hand he was chewing on. Months ago he'd sewn his left eye shut after wounding it in a fight. Sewn the thread right through the eye. Seemed a bit counterintuitive to Eight

Eight himself kept his number on the back of his hands. His face was covered in scars and scratches. He had a broken rib bone in his pocket that he used as a dagger. A secret, potential ultimatum of sorts stayed in his shirt pocket however, but the others didn't know of it. Which was for the best. It wasn't a secret if others new about it.

Nine was the wildcard of the group, as his actions were totally random at best. A one was painted onto his right jacket sleeve, a zero on the left sleeve, as he hadn't yet changed his number to match his new one. He had a twisted sense of humor- which was saying something for one of them -and thus his favored weapon was a severed arm, which he used much like a club. The one he had was getting rather rotten however. Eight watched as he reached over as if to grab on of One's knives. One gave him a look, and Ten stopped, remembering what had happened to Eleven. He instead grabbed Three's machete, and cut off the left arm, as it was most intact.

Eight hopped off the roof of the SUV. "Feeding is done. Time to find them."

The others froze, and slowly grabbed their weapons and got up, following Eight as he melted into the trees.

My Fiction on ZS:
a Price for Every Head
Dead Memories
the Bigger Monster
the Flesh Eaters
the Watcher

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:56 am

Like I said, they are so screwed. :ohdear:

bodyparts

Post by bodyparts » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:26 am

Wow this is shaping up to be a very interesting read. I agree idahobob those people are screwed !

I like this new world!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Most certainly looking forward to MOAR !

bodyparts

Post by bodyparts » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:24 am

MOAR!

bodyparts

Post by bodyparts » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:23 pm

MOOAARRR!!!

RingWraithsAnonymous

Post by RingWraithsAnonymous » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:38 pm

Had less time to write, took me longer than I thought to get this one written and inspected by my proofreader. Apologies for the delay. Let me know what you think, I hope you enjoy, and as always, thanks for reading.

Chapter 5: Epiphany

The trailer, being little more than a glorified box, wasn't exactly fort material. As such, the group of five survivors had abandoned it in favor of taking off on foot. Their plan had been to reunite with Ron, but they'd been steered in a different direction thanks to a combination of thick underbrush and the crude hunting tactics of flesh eaters.

The change in course may very well have spared their lives, as they would've surely run into the nine flesh eaters that killed, disemboweled, and exsanguinated Ron.

Exhaustion was their biggest concern, but the adrenaline kept them mobile during their time as prey. As the chase had gone on, a few flesh eaters had gotten close. Those had been shot, and then the group would change direction, trying to lose those still in pursuit. This cycle repeated itself a handful of times, until eventually the humans were out of bullets, and the flesh eaters were out of, well, more of themselves.

It was a few hours after sunrise. Evan considered him and his comrades lucky, especially given that- aside from some scrapes, cuts, and thorn scratches -none of them were injured. Ben was leaned against a tree, trying to catch his breath, pondering how long it would take them to retrace their steps and leave the forest. Farah wanted desperately to reunite with Ron, and hoped he was alright. (Needless to say: he wasn't.) Nicole felt lightheaded, and wasn't thinking of much. Kane felt like shit, and was holding back the urge to vomit. He was beginning to feel more than just off, was beginning to feel more... sick. Hopefully it didn't show.

"We need to get back to the trailer." Ben announced after a while of contemplation, sounding a tad winded.

"Right now?" Nicole heaved.

"Yes. Ron is expecting us to be at the trailer. When he gets there and sees that we aren't, he'll think we abandoned him, or worse."

Evan nodded, "He's right. We really should be on our way."

Farah and Nicole nodded in agreement. Kane was silent. Then again, lately he didn't seem to be talking much. Probably best to not press the matter.

As the others got up and started the arduous trek back, Kane sighed. He dearly hoped this sickness would pass.

---

Ron was dead. They found him by the SUV. After having seen no sign of him at the trailer, the group decided to check the vehicle. It was there they found the remains of their friend, and in Farah's case, lover.

Ben was horrified at the sight before him, at the body who's torso was ripped apart. He noticed one arm was completely gone as his eyes began to blur. Evan grimaced, averting his gaze and staring up at the sky. Farah sobbed, having collapsed at the roadside. Nicole sat next to her, doing her best to make her feel better. As it was, she was having a hell of a time not getting leaky eyed herself. Upon seeing the body, or what was left of it, Kane hadn't been able to hold back the nausea, and vomited in the ditch.

"Who would do this...?" he questioned, at that moment standing next to the severed head.

"What." Ben corrected. "What did this."

"Flesh eaters." Evan proclaimed, "Flesh eaters did this."

"Given the bites I would agree," Ben reasoned, "But look at the shear amount of cuts on him! Once a flesh eater kills someone, they usually drop their weapons and eat. They don't continue to stab, they don't mutilate."

"What else is it then?!" Evan demanded, "Spacemen?! Flying purple people eaters?! What do you think it could be Ben!!!"

Ben sighed, "I don't know. In all honesty, you're probably right but this seems- it just- it feels weird, alright?"

Kane gritted his teeth. He had a monstrous headache, and despite not wanting to be an ass, Farah's wailing wasn't helping matters any.

Evan began to apologize, "Sorry I snapped at you, I-"

"Don't worry about it." Ben told him, "I get it."

"Oh dear God would you shut up!" Kane shouted. All this did was make Farah's sobs worse.

"Jesus man, what's your problem?" Ben questioned.

"Nothing, I'm fine. Look, she's only going to draw more to us. As it is, we're sitting ducks, and we can't take on more flesh eaters. Sorry if I didn't exactly put it nicely." he told them, pulling out a cigarette.

"You're not wrong," Evan told him, "But your delivery was piss poor." he turned to face the whole group, "Guys, we need to get going. Farah, I understand what you're going through, but we need to move. At the very least we need to start searching for new transport. I would offer to let somebody stay behind, but I don't think that's such a good idea, not after what happened.... Now, let's head on down the road. Surely we'll find something."

As Evan, Ben, and Kane starting walking down the road, Farah refused to get up.

"C'mon," Nicole whispered, "We need to go. I'd hate to see you die too."

Farah tried to calm down, failing miserably. She just nodded her head and stood up, slowly marching after the three men. Nicole sighed, and walked with her.

---

They watched the two men sitting at the roadside. Their companions were searching the parking lot of a country church, seeing if any of the dozen or so cars there would run.

"Are you sure you're fine, Kane?" The one with the glasses asked, "You seem ill."

"I'm fine! Seriously, I'm okay. Why wouldn't I be?" he countered.

Glasses man narrowed his eyes a little, "No reason, I suppose. Hey Evan, you guys got anything?!"

"Yeah! It's an old junker van, but we found the key and it's running alright." the one named Evan told him.

The flesh eaters watched from a distance from their position across the road, hidden in the trees.

Five spoke, an extreme rarity which only helped bolster his question, "The one who killed old Nine is dead. Must we kill them?"

"Yessss..." Three snarled, "They were there."

"We must kill! Kill before they get away!" Nine said, perhaps a bit too loud. He'd ditched his old jacket, and had painted a Nine on his shirt in rabbit's blood. He yearned to repaint it in the blood of one of them."

"No." Eight hissed, "We wait. Now bad time to attack."

"Wait?" Seven questioned.

"They will leave." Three said, "Waiting weak."

Eight drew the rib from his pocket and had the point pushing into the underside of Three's jaw in an instant, "You dare challenge me? Don't make Nine change number again so soon, Three!"

Four stared him down for a minute, then stopped, averting his gaze. Eight pulled away the rib and put it back in his pocket.

"The hell was that?!" the one named Kane shouted, aiming his gun at the trees.

"What?" Glasses asked.

"Didn't you hear the voices?"

"You really are ill, aren't you?"

"They've heard us." One announced.

"Yes." Six replied, "We've failed."

"No. No we haven't." Eight told them.

Two whispered, "Maybe they didn't hear."

Five nodded slowly, and afterward the flesh eaters watched silently, and motionlessly. One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, and Nine didn't know what Eight had planned, but they knew he would lead them to their revenge.

---

Ben, Kane, and Farah sat in the back, while Nicole drove and Evan sat in the passenger seat. They'd just left the church parking lot, and were going back to the SUV to pick up their supplies.

"No, that's not it." Ben murmured.

"Huh?" Kane asked.

Farah was in no state to question Ben's odd noises, and in fact, hadn't even noticed he'd made a sound.

"Nothing," Ben told him, "I just can't figure out why that flesh eater that Ron shot bother's me so much. I've been going over it in my mind, but I can't figure it out. Other than the odd behavior, something was off, and I can't figure it out."

"Sound's like an issue..." Kane said.

"Yeah," Evan said, turning around to look at them, "Yeah it does." He then looked out the back window. "Holy Jesus what is that!?"

Kane and Evan quickly looked out the back window, stunned.

"Oh God...." Nicole said, having looked in the rear view mirror.

Down the road, by where the church was, nine flesh eaters stood in the road, watching them. All but one had weapons, yet they didn't attack. They weren't following. They weren't screaming or hollering. They were simply watching.

"Holy shit, that's it." Ben said, staring at their watchers.

"What? What's it?" Kane asked.

"What made that flesh eater different. It's also what makes these different. Flesh eaters don't have hair, and while theirs is white: they have hair. It sounds so trivial but at the same time, maybe it means something."

"I don't know about that," Evan said, "But what I do know is that we need to hurry up, get our supplies, and leave the fucking neighborhood. That's just plain creepy."

My Fiction on ZS:
a Price for Every Head
Dead Memories
the Bigger Monster
the Flesh Eaters
the Watcher

bodyparts

Post by bodyparts » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:36 pm

good story. thanks for the update. creepy is a good word for it. looking forward to moar .

Return to “Fiction”