the Flesh Eaters

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RingWraithsAnonymous
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, World War Z

the Flesh Eaters

Post by RingWraithsAnonymous » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:12 pm

Hello, and welcome to the new 'long' story of mine. This wasn't the one I was originally planning on writing, but the original idea had too many plot holes that have yet to be worked out. So instead of what I had planned, I present to you: the Flesh Eaters. This one has so far been planned to be shorter than a Price for Every Head, but the former was originally supposed to be twelve chapters, and ended up being twenty one. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not making any concrete claims as to it's length. It might be shorter. It might be longer. Who knows.

Let me know what you think, I hope you enjoy, and as always, thanks for reading.

---

the Flesh Eaters

Chapter 1: Corn Country

When the infection had struck a year and a half prior, a lot had changed.

The green SUV barreled down county road HH, abandoned crop fields filled with dead stocks on either side. It's driver was taking directions from the navigator, who was reading a large fold out map. Three more people sat in the middle row, all holding guns in their hands in case it came to it. In the third row, leaned over their supplies in the cargo space the sixth passenger in the vehicle was watching out the back window in case of pursuit. He was armed with a rifle and taking occasional drags from a cigarette.

"That was a close one earlier." one of the men in the middle row said as he adjusted his glasses. His name was Ben, and he was a pasty, balding man in his late thirties, and had a shotgun in hand.

"You don't fucking say." The man in the back remarked. He was Kane. He wore a baseball cap that covered that top of his messy brown hair. A long beard adorned his face, with traces of gray starting to show.

The woman next to the bald man said, "Yeah Ben, way to be Captain Obvious." Farah had long, dark hair pulled back in a ponytail, and had a revolver in one hand and the hand of her boyfriend (who happened to round out the middle row) clasped tightly in the other.

"Cut him some slack." The driver said, adjusting his sunglasses and swiping his black hair out of his eyes, "Really need a haircut." he muttered.

"If I get an opinion on this matter," Farah's blond boyfriend, Ron, stated, "I agree with Evan. That really was a close call."

"Isn't that all our lives are now?" The navigator, a brunette named Nicole, asked, "A series of close calls."

"So depressing, but totally true now that you mention it." Ron said.

"Truth be told, I'd rather not talk about this morning." Kane told them, "That was too many of the flesh eaters for my taste."

"One flesh eater is too many." Farah said.

"True true." Ron agreed, "Now where in the hell is it we're going exactly, Evan?" he asked.

"Ask the navigator." Evan told him, "I'm just following directions."

"Well?" Ron prompted impatiently.

"A little township a few miles down the road." Nicole told him, "A place called Prairie Valley."

"I miss the city." Ben said wistfully, "This backroads stuff got old quick."

"Go ahead then if you want." Kane told him, taking a drag from his cigarette, "I'm sure as hell not gonna stop you from committing suicide."

Ben rolled his eyes, "I meant I miss the city from before the flesh eaters."

"I still don't see why we don't just call them zombies." Farah said, "I really don't."

"Cause," Evan stated, "Zombies are slow and stupid. Flesh eaters are fast, and fairly smart- though I'll admit, still not the brightest. Did you ever see a zombie pick up a broken 2x4 and use it to pummel someone to death in the movies?"

"God why can't we just drop this already!" Nicole groaned, "We don't need to have another argument over what they should be called. They're monsters! They don't care, why should we?"

"Just make one comment..." Farah mumbled.

---

A few minutes of mostly silence later, they reached the township called Prairie Valley. It was a microscopic little place, small enough it didn't even have a population sign. Other than a few houses, it had a baptist church, a feed and general store, and a small picnic area. The church was boarded up, and had a couple dozen cars parked around it, many off in the grass next to the small gravel parking lot out front. The feed store's front door was open, and it's windows had been shattered. In the picnic area the grass was tall and overgrown, but that didn't stop the careful observer from making out gnawed on skeletons casually strewn throughout. A smashed and bloodied car was sitting down the road a short ways, and had no doubt been sitting there since it's windows had been smashed in and the owners torn to pieces by the flesh eaters.

Evan stopped the vehicle in front of the store and got out, grabbing his rifle and stowing his sunglasses in his shirt pocket. The others got out as well, all of them bringing their guns with them.

It was early autumn, and the weather reflected that. The breeze was cold, making the group thankful for their jackets and button up shirts. The sky was gloomy, and leaves were just beginning to change colors.

A few birds made noise, but other than that the only sounds in the area were the breeze and the creaking of the feed store's open front door, which blew in the breeze.

"Not much longer and we're gonna be needing gloves and sock hats again." Evan remarked.

There was a sudden cacophony of noise from the church that consisted of snarls and the beating of multiple fists on doors. Apparently whatever it was that was barricaded inside knew they were out there, and wanted out.

"So where do you want us?" Ron asked Evan after a slight pause.

"I don't want to stick around long. For now I want Ben, Farah, and you to come with me into the feed store. We'll see if there's anything left to grab. That noise coming from over there is gonna draw in more of them. No way in hell is that church getting opened up though. That leaves Nicole and Kane to guard the ride."

The five others nodded, understanding their jobs. As the others grabbed their bags and began to head into the store, Kane headed to the abandoned car. He opened the door and looked for a key, finding one in the ignition. When he turned it it fired to life, but he was disappointed to find that the gas gauge hung just barely above empty. He turned off the ignition, tossed the key into the grass, and got out, sitting down on the hood. Nicole just stood next to the SUV looking around and keeping a hand on the bolt action rifle slung over her shoulder.

Eventually Kane came back, dropping the cigarette butt on the ground and smothering it. He sighed and said, "You figure we'll ever run into anybody out here? Other than the occasional thief or group of thugs wanting to take our stuff?"

"Maybe." Nicole replied, "Wouldn't count on it."

"Me either. Hell, if we ever did run into normal people, I'd probably get too suspicious and shoot em." he said matter of factly. He shook his head, "Crazy world we live in. Us talking about murder like it's normal."

"Us? Pretty sure it was just you."

"Fair enough darling. So... what do you say we get some privacy at some point tonight, get a little action?"

She laughed at his proposal, "For the last time, no." she said with a smile.

"Oh come on, why not? You know Farah and Ron are off getting some when we aren't looking too hard. Why not you and me?"

"Because,"she told him, her smile slowly fading, "I don't know. I guess I'm just-"

"No, I get it." Kane said, rolling up his sleeves "Even after all this time, you still can't let go of Darius."

"Do you ever think about it?" She asked him, her tone sober, "Last year, when we were at that farm."

"I try not to. Brings back too many memories." he explained.

"Yeah... I don't think about it much. Sometimes I do though, and I remember that last day. When they lit the farm house on fire..."

"Fucking people man," Kane spat, "It sounds cliche, but sometimes I'm not sure which is worse: the flesh eaters, or people."

There was a sharp crack of some boards breaking heard over the noise of the flesh eaters inside the church, and the pair raised their firearms, looking at the once holy building.

Ron burst out of the store, "Did that come from the-?"

Kane didn't let him finish his sentence, "Yes. Tell Evan and the others to hurry up in there."

Ron nodded and quickly headed back inside. In less than a minute he was heading back out, followed by the others. Their duffles were partially filled with various goods.

"How was the haul?" Nicole asked, keeping her eyes and rifle barrel on the church.

"Not bad. Mostly some canned goods. A few boxes of ammo too." Evan told her, "Let's get this stuff unloaded into the back!" he ordered, popping the back doors open.

As they began to empty their bags, there was another series of loud cracks. A flesh eater darted out from the other side of the church, saw them, and made a guttural holler. Nicole tensed up at the sight of it. It's hair had gone white, and it's skin was just as pale. It's eyes were open wide and focused right on her, and it's hands and arms were covered in blood and full of splinters from smashing against the barricades. It charged at them, and Kane shot it twice, once in the jaw and once above the left eye. It hit the ground and tumbled, and the sounds of the flesh eaters intensified.

"We've gotta go! Now!" Kane shouted at the people still messing with the supplies. "Just dump you bags in we can sort it later!"

"You heard the man!" Evan said, tossing his bag inside and running to the driver's seat.

A few more flesh eaters appeared and started running toward them.

"Go! I'll shoot 'em, you guys get your asses in the car!" Kane told them, popping off rounds at the undead abominations.

Nicole ran for her door as the others began to get in the car. Kane was backing up as he fired and more flesh eaters came around to their side of the building.

"Oh shit!" he yelled as one came out of the bushes and tackled him. The others were oblivious to the scuffle as they got in the vehicle and secured themselves. Kane and the flesh eater rolled around on the pavement some, the eater's fingernails digging into his arms. He managed to bash it with the butt of his rifle, and with a few more bashes, Kane killed it. When he got up the others were almost on him, just ten feet away.

"Hurry!" Evan yelled, as the others began to urge him to get inside.

"Go go go!" Kane yelled as he jumped in the back. He climbed over the flats of canned food and boxes of ammo, shutting the one of door behind him as the SUV took off. A flesh eater had a hold of the ball hitch, and was was being drug along the road as they escaped the horde. Kane shot out the still open second door, killing it. He then shut the door and climbed into his seat. He adjusted his hat and breathed a sigh of relief.

"You get nabbed?" Evan asked him.

Kane looked at his reddened sleeves from where the creatures fingers had stabbed into his arms. "No." he lied, knowing all too well that fifty percent of the time scratches were fatal. Still better odds than a bite. Had he told the truth... he knew for a fact that it wouldn't take long for there to only be five people in the SUV, whether he'd actually gotten infected or not.

"Glad you made it in time." Ron told him.

"Me too man." Kane replied. He took a rag out of his back pocket and wiped the blood off, before rolling his sleeves back down over the wounds to conceal them.
Last edited by RingWraithsAnonymous on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you think about it everybody lives in the same place: somewhere between the Empire of the Penguins, and the Kingdom of the Elves.

My Fiction on ZS:
a Price for Every Head
Dead Memories
the Bigger Monster
the Flesh Eaters
the Watcher

bodyparts
Favorite Zombie Movies: land of the dead

Re: the Flesh Eaters

Post by bodyparts » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:48 pm

wow! good start! thanks for sharing. tool using, thinking, fast ... this should be interesting !

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:09 am

Great start! Me wants MOAR! :clap: :clap:
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

RingWraithsAnonymous
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, World War Z

Post by RingWraithsAnonymous » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:01 pm

Another week, another update. Let me know what you think, I hope you enjoy, and as always, thanks for reading.

Chapter 2: the Nine

It was the next day, and Kane could feel a fever coming. That wasn't a good sign. Some lived through it... most didn't. So far nobody had noticed his affliction. He was hoping things would go in his favor. If they didn't, he'd probably do... it... himself, go out on his own terms.

That night they'd slept in the hayloft of a barn. So long as they were quiet, the flesh eaters nor anyone else would find them. It had stormed, and was still raining by morning when they'd woken up. Evan had been the last one on watch, and was sitting by the window of the loft, watching the abandoned and animalless farm below.

"So what hell hole are we off to next?" Ron asked the group as Ben got out the breakfast.

"Like it really matters?" Kane commented.

"Gotta love you guys' optimism." Farah said sarcastically.

"Ready to eat guys?" Ben asked, producing a half dozen canned goods.

"Not this again." Nicole groaned.

"If you want something cooked," Evan told them, "Go out and get some kindling. And while you're at it, shoot some squirrels and rabbits."

"I happen to like..." Ron said, taking a minute to read the label on his can, "Best Value canned peas."

Farah scoffed, "Hon, we all know that's a lie."

"You're right, it is." he admitted without hesitation, "Hey Ben, mind swapping me out for some canned meat or something?"

"Ron, you know all too well we're rationing that stuff." Kane told him.

He rolled his eyes, "Fine. I'll eat my damn peas. Y'know, one of these days we'll actually have to go into a real town."

"You think so?" Nicole questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Well yeah, don't you? There's only so much to be had out here. And everybody's avoiding the towns like the plague. In theory, we're gonna run out of stuff out here, and also in theory, the towns will be almost untouched."

"That'll be the day..." Kane told them.

"Hey Evan, you gonna come eat?" Nicole asked him.

"Not hungry." he answered, "Though I might be in a minute. You got a route planned for today?"

"You watched me mark up the map last night." she replied.

"Oh, right...." he said, having forgotten.

"I'm going to take a dump guys, be back shortly." Ron informed the group.

"Careful out there." Evan told him.

"Yes mom." Ron said, rolling his eyes as he started to climb down the ladder.

"I'll be honest," Kane said, swallowing a bite of carrot, "this shit still hasn't grown on me yet."

"I miss the garden." Farah reminisced, "Mostly for the tomatoes."

"Never did like tomatoes." Ben said, "Now those carrots... yes sir, those were the stuff."

"Can we not talk about fresh food please? Every bite of this stuff is getting worse." Nicole joked.

Evan got up and walked over to where the rest of the group sat, close to the sleeping bags. "What'd you save for me, Ben?" he asked.

Ben held up a dented can of peaches.

---

They were loading their gear into the car. It seemed Ron had gotten food poisoning of some sort, as this was his second time going into the woods to go #2. Food poisoning was the last thing any of them wanted, though Kane had made a few jokes at Ron's expense during his absence.

"Guess we won't be making as good of time today." Ben commented on the matter.

"How you figure?" Kane inquired, fidgeting with the ends of his sleeves.

"I have the impression we'll be making a lot of bathroom breaks."

"Damn, you're right." Evan said, "Hey Kane, you willing to take the first shift at the wheel?"

"Yeah, sure." was the response he gave.

"You good Kane?" Farah asked, "You're looking a little pale."

"I'm fine." he snapped. Out of his mouth came a sad attempt at laughter, "Aren't we all pale in this day in age? Just saw my first gray hair the other day, pretty sure the stress is finally getting to me."

"OH JESUS!!!!!" Ron shouted in startlement some thirty yards away.

"Ron!!!" Farah screamed, grabbing her gun and running in his direction.

"Oh for fuck's sake..." Evan muttered as the he and the others soon followed suit.

There were some gunshots and swears, and when they caught up they found Farah and Ron standing over a dead, male flesh eater that was laying on it's back.

"What in the hell?!" Evan demanded, "What in the ever living hell was all that racket about over one fucking flesh eater?!"

Ron swallowed, looking rather shaken. "I had just wiped my ass over a few yards closer to that creek, and had pulled my pants up. I was just starting to walk back and- and... that's when it jumped me."

"Don't be ridiculous," Ben scoffed, "Flesh eaters don't 'jump' people. You can hear them screaming and carrying on from half a mile to a mile away, if it's quiet out like this that is."

"You don't understand!" Ron defended, "I turned and saw it watching me! It was right under that tree." he stammered, pointing to an old hedge about ten yards away. "I don't think it meant to be spotted. We locked eyes and- well, I panicked. I've never been out in the open, that close to one, without knowing about it, y'know? I- oh God...."

"It's alright baby." Farah whispered to him, giving him a long embrace.

"Sounds like horse shit." Kane said.

"I don't know," Ben said, reconsidering his opinion on the issue, "We've seen some of them carry pieces of wood like clubs or tools as weapons and such before, which means some are obviously smarter than others. Maybe some are even smarter than those. Maybe, if you'll entertain the thought for just a second, maybe Ron really was being watched. Maybe it was waiting to see what he'd do. Maybe it was sneaking up on him. Maybe-"

"Maybe he was going to track him." Nicole interrupted.

The six of them were silent for a minute, warily eyeing the surrounding forest.

"That's a lot of maybes." Evan told them after a time, "Let's hit the road. We can discuss this more later."

---

The SUV engine started soon after the six survivors had entered the vehicle. As the last door closed and the vehicle pulled out of the farm's long driveway, a figure stepped out from the trees and watched it leave, making note of which direction they turned.

It gave a motioning gesture and eight others came out of the trees as well.

"They killed him." One said.

"Yes. We'll kill them. Savor the taste." Six replied.

"Must use caution." Four warned, "There's more of them than most."

"Fuck that Four." Seven spat, "They will die."

"Nine must have revenge." Two said quietly.

Five rarely spoke, and thus, had nothing to add to their primitive dialogue.

"We follow!" Ten- who would shortly become the new Nine -shouted angrily.

Eight, who had been the first to come out, turned to face them, "Yes. We will get blood."

And with that, the nine flesh eaters melted back into the forest and began to track the SUV.
If you think about it everybody lives in the same place: somewhere between the Empire of the Penguins, and the Kingdom of the Elves.

My Fiction on ZS:
a Price for Every Head
Dead Memories
the Bigger Monster
the Flesh Eaters
the Watcher

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:12 am

Oh crap! :shock: Intelligent zombies! :ohdear:
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

bodyparts
Favorite Zombie Movies: land of the dead

Post by bodyparts » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 am

:shock: OH CRAP INDEED!! thanks for the update!

Return to “Fiction”