(tactical) shooting gloves... help needed!

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:48 pm

I have never wore out a pair of mechanix gloves, I always loose them before that point.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Re: (tactical) shooting gloves... help needed!

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:15 pm

gravediggerfour wrote:I have never wore out a pair of mechanix gloves, I always loose them before that point.
The three normal pair I have kinda float around, and one is almost always left somewhere that I forget for a while, only to rediscover when least expected. Kinda SOP for my disorganized lifestyle, sadly...

BTW, I love the tiny 'biners that come with the long Sea to Summit AL spoons, they fit in the little tabs on my gloves so I can clip them somewhere I'll find them!
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:25 am

gravediggerfour wrote:I have never wore out a pair of mechanix gloves, I always loose them before that point.

I had the regular ones not the Fastfit and used them for a really long time like 2 years before the velcro on the strap peeled off, but I Gorilla Glued them closed as loose as possible so I use them as slip ons..they're still kickin around somewhere but there's a hole in the trigger finger now too.I got my $20 worth out of them.

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:23 am

I am going to be running the tough mudder here next weekend. I will use these gloves for hand protection.

http://www.mechanix.com/tactical/m-pact-coyote-glove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:43 pm

I've always preferred the standard Nomex flight glove. Simple. Cheap. Does what a glove is supposed to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:32 pm

I've gone back and forth between mechanix and iron clad gloves. I actually just bought a new pair of mechanix the other day, after both thumbs and my right index finger were all popping out to say hello. Managed to a grab standard style black on black locally for $16.99.

For me personally, I consider mechanix to be the ultimate light-medium duty gloves, with some of the best comfort and dexterity I've ever worn. I actually edc them in my back pocket most days of the week.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 pm

This thread is old, and the question answered, but I'll jump in and give my .2 cents.

Pilot/Aviators gloves is where it's at...yeah, they wear fast, but the dexterity is unbeatable. When the fingers start pulling apart, I just cut them off...and it's usually the index finger that goes bad first.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Damn if the thread is old and the topic of why cutting the index finger off defeats the purpose of gloves in the first place was covered pages ago. why would you bring it up?!?!?
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:50 pm

gravediggerfour wrote:Damn if the thread is old and the topic of why cutting the index finger off defeats the purpose of gloves in the first place was covered pages ago. why would you bring it up?!?!?
Not that I have to explain myself, but, I guess my post is worthless to some, so here goes; first, I didn't bring up "cutting the fingers off gloves"...I brought up the fact that I think pilots gloves are some of the best tactical gloves you can get/use. I then mentioned how the only issue was the wear on the fingers. I wasn't saying cutting them off was good or bad, it just happened to be a bi-product of what I did bring up. I thought it added to the thread regardless. Those who use flight/pilots/aviators gloves know where I'm coming from.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:18 pm

Some people cut up gloves. It works for them. My son cuts the sleeves off of every t-shirt he can, despite having no muscles to speak of. He's a scrawny 7y/o boy. Hey, different strokes...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:11 pm

I just got a pair of Oakley pilot gloves, they are awesome.
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:02 pm

...somebody say flight gloves?

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:30 pm

I hate those gloves. Our crew rarely ask for them unless they are going some place very cold. To me they offer practically no tactile feel at all. But they do work well int he cold :) and are fire resistant.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Anyone have an option of something really tight fitting and dextrous yet decently warm? I use Mechanix in size small normally and they are my favorite gloves, but they are not warm at all.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:55 pm

AKFTW wrote:Anyone have an option of something really tight fitting and dextrous yet decently warm? I use Mechanix in size small normally and they are my favorite gloves, but they are not warm at all.

Shit, my photo bucket is down..

My reply for when its cold was to post "why we joined SF" pic with the dude's with their hands in their pockets..

Mechanix Gloves plus Airforce gloves equals winning.

I would love to find a warm option though other then sticking my hands in my pockets.

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:06 pm

AKFTW wrote:Anyone have an option of something really tight fitting and dextrous yet decently warm? I use Mechanix in size small normally and they are my favorite gloves, but they are not warm at all.
USGI Pilot Gloves (Flight Gloves/Air Force, what-ever) with the the seperate thin poly-pro glove liners.

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:09 pm

Silk glove liners. You can find them at most motorcycle shops or motorcycle websites.

Sent from my iPhone

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:24 pm

angelofwar wrote:
USGI Pilot Gloves (Flight Gloves/Air Force, what-ever) with the the seperate thin poly-pro glove liners.
Air Force Gloves refer to putting your hands in your pockets :lol:

Are these the flight gloves you mean? Regular unlined Nomex, and then wear glove liners too?

Would the CVC nomex gloves work as well?

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:50 pm

AKFTW wrote:
angelofwar wrote:
Air Force Gloves refer to putting your hands in your pockets :lol:

Are these the flight gloves you mean? Regular unlined Nomex, and then wear glove liners too?

Would the CVC nomex gloves work as well?
At the Air Force joke...yeah, I been to Balad, and have seen more AF jokes than I count...wish I could remember some of them.

Those are the ones I was refering to though. Here's the liners...http://www.amazon.com/Black-GI-Polyprop ... B000HKPFS0

They're thinner than they look...if yer going to wear them, get your flight gloves 1 size bigger.
Last edited by angelofwar on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:54 pm

Sounds good, I will have to pick up a pair next time I order some stuff.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:59 pm

For cold, I tend to wear some issued big leather/goretex gloves, and yank them off when I need to...

FleischSchleifer99

Post by FleischSchleifer99 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:45 pm

FrANkNstEin wrote:Sooo:

A lot of you guys wear gloves for your drills, classes and whatnot. Can you please school me a bit on the various choices of gloves out there?

I´m thinking about getting a pair within 2012, not really soon, but within the year. They don´t have to be padded too much or have reinforcments to punch through zombie skulls, but they should keep burns from a hot barrel as well as scratches from falling onto rocky terrain at bay, at least a little bit. (let me rephrase that: they can have this stuff, but it´s not a requirement)

They shouldn´t be too thick so i can still get into triggerguards easily. (since Ar´s are pretty much the only guns where you can enlarge it easily, but i have other guns and they need to work for these as well!!)

Push comes to shove, i could of course just cut away the trigger finger part of the glove. While i don´t have a problem cutting off stuff from brand new gear, i´d prefer not to when it comes to gloves. I live in the Alps, it´s cold here in the winter so an (additional) pair of intact gloves would be worth their weight in gold.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I couldn´t decide which sub forum to put it in, if there´s one where the thread fits better then training, please move it. It´s not really bug out gear for me though, so i didn´t post it there.
Military surplus flight gloves, they are pretty good, and plentiful on the online stores, Mechanix gloves come in different variants, for example M-Pact series use hard knuckles just like Oakley, 35 dollars are more tolerable than 72 dollars of the Oakleys, I personally prefer Original Mechanix.

stabbedmyface
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie strippers

Post by stabbedmyface » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:32 pm

skdtac PIG gloves. best shooting gloves I have ever used. as for cutting the fingertips off, that's Rambo shit. Practice and train like you fight. http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Full-Dexterit ... ig.700.htm

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:28 pm

Mechanix makes an insulated "original" style glove. No experience with them personally though, not much cold weather use needed here.

http://www.mechanix.com/the-original-insulated
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Return to “Training”