A Way to Train With Your Six Guns Every Prepper Should Own

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

A Way to Train With Your Six Guns Every Prepper Should Own

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:51 am

If you read the other thread and went out and bought all six or eight guns yesterday I can assure you are on the right track and will not regret it. After you got everything home and unboxed you are probably wondering what to do next?

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=121759

Did you buy the ammo? I am going assume you went ahead and bought some but as a prepper you can never have enough. You can have enough to tide you over until next year though. Now everyone is going to have different needs depending upon where you live and your lifestyle choices but this will provide you with a good base line until you get it all sorted. Our annual round count should look something like this:

Gun #
1- 600 rds training/ 100 rds Defensive ammo
2- 50 Slugs/ 50 Buck/ 50 BBB-#2/ 300 #4-8/ Specialty rounds as needed
3- 150 rds Defensive ammo/ 600 rds practice ammo/ 40 varmint rds/ 40 hunting med game rds
4- LG Game 40 rds/ Med Game 40 rds/ Sm Game 40 rds/ Training 120 rds
5- 150 rds Defensive ammo/ 600 rds practice ammo
6- 100K rounds, just buy one every time you go to Walmart
7- 300 rds training/ 50 rounds defensive
8- 50 rounds

This is North of 3000 rounds. If you shoot this much you will shoot about as much as an infantry soldier does annually, and several times what a police department provides it's officers (most of whom shoot on their own).

I left something out in the last thread which is that if you live in a state that makes it impossible to get a CHL but you can open carry you are going to have to move. But until you do move you can use Gun #7 as your defensive firearm as an open carry gun. If you do this swap 1 for 7 in all things.

Training monthly is best until the PAW. After that there will be so much gun play you won't need to practice. Whatever month you start on is month 1. In the last quarter of the year you will shoot up all your defensive ammo and replace. Don't make "month 12" Decemeber because you won't have the money to buy it then, unless you have no friends and family, in which case you will have way more ammo than the above anyway. Early Fall is best for ammo sales....

There should be about:

1050 = 9mm
1520 = 5.56 or 7.62X39
240 = .308 or .30-06
350= 12 or 20 Shotshells

Train on the following guns in the following months:

1- 1,2,6,7
2- 1,3,6,8
3- 1,4,6,7
4- 1,2,6
5- 1,3,6,7,8
6- 1,4,6
7- 1,2,6,7
8- 1,3,5,6,8
9- 1,4,7
10- 1,2
11- 1,3,5,7
12- 1,2

Divide the ammo by the number of months in the year and that is the amount of practice ammo you should shoot during a range session. If you were smart you bought all the same caliber and type (trunk gun and carbine are both 5.56, pistols are both 9mm). This means that the magazines may be compatible as well.

If you don't have enough money to buy all the ammo you are going to have to find a better paying job. Until then simply halve all the amounts until you get where you need to be. If you are on a tight budget buy quarterly, but it will likely cost more.

If you don't have enough time to go to the range once a month you need to speak to your SO about their selfishness taking up so much of your time. Or you can bring him/her to the range. Or go quarterly instead.

I did not get in to zeroing and a host of other things like training classes that will consume ammo but this is where to start as a guideline.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: A Way to Train With Your Six Guns Every Prepper Should Own

Post by NT2C » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:14 am

I looked at those ammo totals and at first I was like, "Sounds like a good afternoon at the range" but then I saw the "k" after the 100 under rimfire and realized I was going to have really sore thumbs loading those BX-25 mags. :(

I was also surprised to see little mention of firing the defensive ammo. I'm a firm believer in training with your carry ammo, or as close to it as you can get but still at least running a box of the carry ammo through the weapon quarterly. So, for me, with my 9mm that's 200 rounds per year of 124gr HST or 135gr Hydra-Shok Deep and ~1,000 - 2,000 rounds of 124gr FMJ or NATO ball, and similar with the .45.

Train with what you carry, because unpleasant surprises can make you dead.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:39 am

Absolutely. More is better for those that can afford it.

This is baseline.

Self defense ammo is premium ammo and can be quite expensive depending upon what you select. Normally runs 4-5X the cost of training ammo. Put another way for every box of Defensive ammo you shoot, you could be shooting four boxes of training ammo. How you do your calculus is a personal thing.

And here ya go:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/31397 ... 3244644282
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:09 am

Practicing with your carry ammo is in my opinion very important. That said not everybody can afford to shoot a hundred bucks a month of carry ammo.

Even if you can that's very expensive practice. That's really something an individual has to weigh for themselves with a cost to benefit ratio as to its usefulness.

For what it's worth in my opinion any practice with your carry firearm is good. If you can't afford to shoot carry ammo on a regular basis you're better off shooting inexpensive practice ammo than simply not practicing.

One other issue to consider is where you shoot. I use both outdoor and indoor ranges as well as hunting property for my shooting.

The cost of the ranges typically equal a box of ammo. For those who can I would suggest finding outdoor property upon which you can lawfully shoot. You don't have to buy it just make friends with the owner.

The other thing that I've noticed is that I tend to shoot a whole lot better outside can I do at ranges. I suspect that ar a range my errors are very measurable and very apparent. Whereas outside the measurement is primarily did you hit your target?

BTW as to ammunition quantity; if you need it, there's no such thing as too much ammo. If you need it, you will need a lifetime supply of ammunition for the firearm.

Now when I say a lifetime supply I mean your lifetime. Thus your skill with a firearm dictates how much ammunition you may need. So chose wisely.😁

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:41 am

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:39 am
Absolutely. More is better for those that can afford it.

This is baseline.

Self defense ammo is premium ammo and can be quite expensive depending upon what you select. Normally runs 4-5X the cost of training ammo. Put another way for every box of Defensive ammo you shoot, you could be shooting four boxes of training ammo. How you do your calculus is a personal thing.

And here ya go:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/31397 ... 3244644282
Oh yeah, that defensive ammo is not cheap. Those Hydra-Shok Deep rounds are a buck each. I have a cheap(er) source for 50 round boxes of HST (in both calibers) but it's still about 45 cents a round by the time it reaches my doorstep. Equivalent grain weight ball ammo is much, much cheaper, and for retaining muscle memory is the way to go. Last time I bought 9mm training ammo I think I paid about $7 box of 50 (in case lots) and .45 usually runs me about $12 box 50. Always on the lookout for more cheap .45 (and not that steel cased crap) mil-surp but I think we've pretty much dried up all the reserves of the old US military stuff from the 70s.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:55 am

Dry fire, Dry fire, Dry fire.

I noticed not to much shotty practice. Burn up that box of 5. Feed the puppy. Unless your talking about using up the specialty ammo, you know, the armor piercing incendiary slugs with dragons breath.

If you can't buy in bulk, I've used the buy 2, shoot one, method of caching. It's works well for a small budget over time. Also once you reach your desired level of cache, then you have to replace what you shoot as you shoot it. Or at the end of the year you're at zero ammo [of course that is when TEOTWAWKI will occur and you're stuck with a bunch of melee weapons].

Also regarding training with carry ammo.
I'd say test and see how much 'feel' difference there is between your carry and training stuff. You can stagger rounds in a mag or stagger mags to test. But if there isn't much felt recoil difference then don't bother doing that much carry ammo stuff IMO, YMMV. Personally I've accidentally shot thru a mag of carry ammo at the range because I can't really tell the difference with the 'feel'. JHP vs FMG. I can keep the same grouping using either types.

There is a performance difference such as deflection thru car windows, doors, walls, tires, concealment, foliage, and then penetration. So if you're using those training materials in your training, yes use both kinds of ammo to see how they perform, as you may have to use training ammo in the PAW as your main ammo once the carry ammo runs out, and it's good to know if your carry ammo will penetrate or bounce off some real world stuff.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:35 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:55 am
Dry fire, Dry fire, Dry fire.

I noticed not to much shotty practice. Burn up that box of 5. Feed the puppy. Unless your talking about using up the specialty ammo, you know, the armor piercing incendiary slugs with dragons breath.

I am quoting this because training with a shotgun can and should include some skeet and trap shooting. These skills translate to buckshot and slugs. There are about be a bunch pf pre-hunting season sales on birdshot and other shot gun rounds. It is a great time to stock up on lower end ammo.

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:23 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:51 am
If you read the other thread and went out and bought all six or eight guns yesterday I can assure you are on the right track and will not regret it. After you got everything home and unboxed you are probably wondering what to do next?

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=121759

Did you buy the ammo? I am going assume you went ahead and bought some but as a prepper you can never have enough. You can have enough to tide you over until next year though. Now everyone is going to have different needs depending upon where you live and your lifestyle choices but this will provide you with a good base line until you get it all sorted. Our annual round count should look something like this:

Gun #
1- 600 rds training/ 100 rds Defensive ammo
2- 50 Slugs/ 50 Buck/ 50 BBB-#2/ 300 #4-8/ Specialty rounds as needed
3- 150 rds Defensive ammo/ 600 rds practice ammo/ 40 varmint rds/ 40 hunting med game rds
4- LG Game 40 rds/ Med Game 40 rds/ Sm Game 40 rds/ Training 120 rds
5- 150 rds Defensive ammo/ 600 rds practice ammo
6- 100K rounds, just buy one every time you go to Walmart
7- 300 rds training/ 50 rounds defensive
8- 50 rounds

This is North of 3000 rounds. If you shoot this much you will shoot about as much as an infantry soldier does annually, and several times what a police department provides it's officers (most of whom shoot on their own).

I left something out in the last thread which is that if you live in a state that makes it impossible to get a CHL but you can open carry you are going to have to move. But until you do move you can use Gun #7 as your defensive firearm as an open carry gun. If you do this swap 1 for 7 in all things.

Training monthly is best until the PAW. After that there will be so much gun play you won't need to practice. Whatever month you start on is month 1. In the last quarter of the year you will shoot up all your defensive ammo and replace. Don't make "month 12" Decemeber because you won't have the money to buy it then, unless you have no friends and family, in which case you will have way more ammo than the above anyway. Early Fall is best for ammo sales....

There should be about:

1050 = 9mm
1520 = 5.56 or 7.62X39
240 = .308 or .30-06
350= 12 or 20 Shotshells

Train on the following guns in the following months:

1- 1,2,6,7
2- 1,3,6,8
3- 1,4,6,7
4- 1,2,6
5- 1,3,6,7,8
6- 1,4,6
7- 1,2,6,7
8- 1,3,5,6,8
9- 1,4,7
10- 1,2
11- 1,3,5,7
12- 1,2

Divide the ammo by the number of months in the year and that is the amount of practice ammo you should shoot during a range session. If you were smart you bought all the same caliber and type (trunk gun and carbine are both 5.56, pistols are both 9mm). This means that the magazines may be compatible as well.

If you don't have enough money to buy all the ammo you are going to have to find a better paying job. Until then simply halve all the amounts until you get where you need to be. If you are on a tight budget buy quarterly, but it will likely cost more.

If you don't have enough time to go to the range once a month you need to speak to your SO about their selfishness taking up so much of your time. Or you can bring him/her to the range. Or go quarterly instead.

I did not get in to zeroing and a host of other things like training classes that will consume ammo but this is where to start as a guideline.
Good stuff. Heres a neat article from John Mosby (Mountain Guerrilla blog) on setting up a training plan.

https://mountainguerrilla.wordpress.com ... position=1

Return to “Training”