Post by clarence » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:57 am

Master Sgt. Scott Satterlee says the military could learn a lot from civilians

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/top-ar ... 9f8dfd917f
It's not looting if you leave a note.

jor-el

Re: Top U.S. Army Marksman Explains Why Gun Nuts Shoot Bette

Post by jor-el » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:13 am

TLDR:
Three Gun and IDPA competition courses have become a lot more complex and introduce elements of randomization that doesn't exist for current military training, such as shooitng on the move against targets also moving. Apparently another factor is differnet targets of which some are not to be shot mixed in close together, a common problem with today's style of asymmetric warfare.

Regards use of arms, he's against the act of the trigger "surprise" break. This amounts to him favoring the act of "staging" the trigger, where you know the exact point of the trigger squeeze that the trigger breaks.
The act of focusing on the sights, particularly the front sight, means you're not focusing on your surroundings. As opposed to conventional warfare where you know who your enemy is and where, the modern battlefield is usually in a city, where a threat can come from anywhere.
Therefore, elites as well as new troops need training to assess situations and threats quickly, then act.

This flies in the face of the style of police training I used to do. Not nearly enough FATS training, and the scenario DVD is almost as old as I am. The qualification course could be almost done blindfolded and still get a passing score. Targets are usually stationary paper, and very little simunitions training (it's expensive). I think we still do "three rounds and assess".

The author is also a fan of asking for forgiveness rather than asking for permission.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Peregrinator

Re: Top U.S. Army Marksman Explains Why Gun Nuts Shoot Bette

Post by Peregrinator » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:23 am

Some very good, advice, here. Not new info, if you have been involved in competitive shooting, but there are many shooters that learned in the military or as civilians in gov't agencies, who don't received updated training.

The popularity of parallax free "dot", collimator, and reflex sights with zero magnification is an obvious indication of how shooting has evolved. These sighting systems allow for both eyes open, superior situational awareness and a focus on the target. Knowing when the trigger will break, is also nothing new, and it's probably the de facto close combat method for most combat shooters, regardless of training due to stresses of the situation. Of course, for every rule, there is an exception, and long range target engagement certainly benefits from the more traditional techniques.

Due to a very fortunate situation, having a private range available for practice, I have been able to train from unusual body positions ("fallen" to the ground,, draw and fire, around obstacles/cover, moving myself as well as moving targets) that are often prohibited at public ranges. It is a real eye opener to discover just how difficult some of the situations can be, after only training in a traditional way.

Practice, training, and mindset are all key components of using a firearm to stay alive. Understanding new innovations in shooting techniques is vital, you may not always agree with the methods, but understanding them gives you flexibility and that could translate into staying alive in a confrontation.

Here's a couple of examples of how advanced training can add confidence and ability:

Point/Instinctive shooting is nothing new, but training is often brief or non-existent. As it is considered to be less accurate, and since misses must go somewhere, few organizations advocate point shooting, although some do limited training in the technique. But....

While practicing a "knocked to the ground by assailant" shooting position I had a glob on mud land squarely on my slide. It completely obscured my sight picture. Hmmm...this is a problem and a potential real-life scenario. How do I train for this? My solution was to take a piece of masking tape and stick on my rear sight. Not tightly wrapped just randomly stuck to the sight. Now I needed to practice real point shooting without the references I'd known for years. I had practiced instinctive shooting techniques, but it was very different without the sight. Subconsciously, I'm sure many years of practice still allowed me to use the sights even when not deliberately focusing on them. That piece of tape screwed me up completely, until I practiced that way.

Another time my reflex sight reticle vanished, while at the range...since "excuse me Mr. Badguy, I need to change my battery" isn't likely to end well, I decided I needed to train with a long gun and no sights. Backup sights are an option, but I don't like a lot of crap hanging off of my equipment, they can bind and snag, delaying proper presentation of the weapon. Flip up sights would mostly eliminate that issue, but we are back to an "excuse me Mr. Badguy" scenario, "timeout while I flip up my sights". That ain't gonna happen. Being an avid shotgunner, this was far easier than the handgun exercise, for me. I am used to being able to hit a target with only a front bead, and there are several edges, corners, or other reference points on my rifle that allowed for a decent alignment. With a little practice, learning the point of impact when using an alternate reference, 100 yards shots were possible, not pretty groups, but good enough. In my AO, 100 yards is probably retreat range in most situations. The cover/concealment is pretty dense here, so satisfactory performance at 100 yards is beyond what I feel is needed in a "broken sight" scenario.

Not "new to the world" stuff just "new to my training" which enhances my effectiveness, confidence and abilities in adverse situations. Not everyone will embrace all of the new techniques, but it can't hurt to try them. You just might become a better shooter.

Return to “Training”