Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Re: Girl kills range instructor with Uzi

Post by Caenus » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:32 am

Complete stupidness. (Is that a word?)

I lived in TX for 10 years. I live in AZ now (grew up here).

I've seen 5 year olds shoot deer with their grandpappy's .270. (And no physical help from daddy other than verbal cues)

I've seen strippers (not a judgement, long story, but asked her why she suddenly wanted a gun when she obviously had no experience) sweep an entire shooting range with a glock and actually look down the barrel.

I've taken my 7 year old nephew shooting and let him shoot a P22, 1911 (.45), Glock 22,19 AR-15 and 12ga all in his firat range session. Kids dont necessarily have that impression of the "finality" of a mistake. I puckered once (once) with the P22 after he first pulled the trigger and turned towards me (pointing...or starting to...point it at my chest). As his instructor my hand was hovering between him and me. I simply grabbed it by the slide and held it downrange. (Then tried not to revert to Army range rules and punch him in the face...I think I took a deep breath, giggled internally and said "Downrange son".)

The instructor very well could have tried that, but a bucking full auto gun is not necessarily easy to grab and control.

It comes back to the instructor...not necessarily the parents. Maybe they thought "umm...are you sure its ok for her to shoot it?" The instructor could have reassured them "I do this all the time."

The instructor failed by either not properly judging the girls ability (strength, mental fortitude, previous firearm experience, etc). Sure the girl could have had years of experience shooting already, or it could have been the first gun she's ever fired. Doesnt matter. The instructor is there to make sure things are safe.

Sad.

Hopefully a reminder to not get complacent around firearms...or anything dangerous...powertools, cars, chemicals, heat, cold, fire, water, crackheads, wild animals, politicians( :wink: )...)
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:54 am

Pretty sure based on the few seconds it profiled in the video, it's a Mini-Uzi.

Full size in comparison.

The full size version isn't exactly the easiest thing to control, due to its center of gravity being just above the grip. Hasn't got a whole lot of area to grip onto, compared to an MP5.

Fires from an open bolt, which means a one pound piece of steel is moving around inside the gun after you squeeze the trigger and slams shut on the chamber, firing a round.

You should listen to some of the shit in Opinions in the Daily News.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:57 am

jor-el wrote:Pretty sure based on the few seconds it profiled in the video, it's a Mini-Uzi.
I believe that's the model (more or less) that the Bizilj boy was killed with in '08.
You should listen to some of the shit in Opinions in the Daily News.
I'd rather not! :lol:
Mostly not here anymore.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:49 pm

I can't begin to comment on the opinions that have been stated on daily news without violating policies :awesome:

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:09 pm

I feel very sorry for the instructor and I think a lot of the new media are missing the point, it was an accident. No one called for an end to flying after flight 370.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:43 am

manowar1313 wrote:I feel very sorry for the instructor and I think a lot of the new media are missing the point, it was an accident. No one called for an end to flying after flight 370.
I've been flamed for saying this before, but I'll say it again: with firearms, there are no accidents--only negligence and malfunctions. This was negligence, an event that occurred due to the instructor's (and perhaps others') error in judgment.

I don't feel sorry for the instructor. He's dead and doesn't need or demand my sympathy. I feel sorry for the girl and her family, and the instructor's friends and loved ones.
Mostly not here anymore.

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:18 am

I looked at the video and is not a full size uzi, looks like to me it isn't a mini uzi either but rather is the smaller micro uzi which is basically a full auto pistol with small folding stock.
I think the kid last year that shot himself at a gun range was using a micro uzi as well

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:30 am

Nick Adams wrote:I looked at the video and is not a full size uzi, looks like to me it isn't a mini uzi either but rather is the smaller micro uzi which is basically a full auto pistol with small folding stock.
I think the kid last year that shot himself at a gun range was using a micro uzi as well
I have never fired a micro UZI but I suspect it is like my MAC-10 which was a handful for an adult who was an experienced shooter. MAC-10 = a nasty bullet hose (at least for me YMMV) that wasted expensive ammo.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:43 am

I shot all three Uzis at Front Sight. The full sized was easy and controllable. Heavy and some what slow, so slow 2-3 bursts are simple. There were petite people there running it without issue except they complained about the weight.
The Mini Uzi was a hoot. Innaccurate and a bit of a handful. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't the fullsized. It was lighter and faster.

Now, the micro. That damn thing was running a 1000-1200 rds per second. 2-4 burst and it would empty a magazine. I was pretty good with the Uzi but that thing was so fast it was not controllable. It was the definition of spray and pray because the gun was moving so much I couldn't see the sights. At the time I was in the best condition of my life and I didn't have a problem controlling it but it was the worst full auto I've ever fired. Definitely not for a novice.

The MAC-10 is controllable compared to the Micro.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:16 pm

dogbane wrote:
manowar1313 wrote:I feel very sorry for the instructor and I think a lot of the new media are missing the point, it was an accident. No one called for an end to flying after flight 370.
I've been flamed for saying this before, but I'll say it again: with firearms, there are no accidents--only negligence and malfunctions. This was negligence, an event that occurred due to the instructor's (and perhaps others') error in judgment.

I don't feel sorry for the instructor. He's dead and doesn't need or demand my sympathy. I feel sorry for the girl and her family, and the instructor's friends and loved ones.
Giving her a fully loaded automatic weapon is just as bad as putting her behind the wheel of a sports car or powerful motorcycle. There should probably be a trial to see if there was negligence on her parents part.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Return to “Training”