I love IDPA (vid)

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

I love IDPA (vid)

Post by maldon007 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:22 pm

I just don't get to do it very often, but when I do I get all nervous like... hell, I don't really get nervous otherwise at all... Awesome way to practice draw/target acquisition/safety/reloading under pressure, what holster/mag carrier setups actually work, etc.

This was only my second actual competition, not counting the 50 rounds or so spent during the "intro class" and I couldn't even stay for the whole match this time :vmad:

Anyway, short vid... if your wondering why I shot in the order I did or why I stalled while reloading before crossing that widow, funky IDPA rules... But they keep your mind thinking, as it should be doing when you are using a deadly weapon.

http://youtu.be/59I3DsxXz1E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [/trying to embed this effing vid!]

Find some IDPA near you & have a blast! :lol: :?

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Re: I love IDPA (vid)

Post by Manimal2878 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:15 pm

That's pretty cool.

What was that you threw down at the beginning of the video right before you started to shoot?

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Oh yeah, the "scenario" was something like- 'You have just returned home with a package, two badguys approach you... blah blah blah.' So you can drop the package and draw, then shoot freestyle or hold the package and shoot strong hand only... The next string was- "You were hit in your weak arm, now shoot strong hand only" or something to that effect.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:51 pm

Yeah I really enjoy shooting IDPA also. I haven't entered a match yet but plan on doing some this spring/summer. I did work at the state match that our club hosted this year. That was fun and I learned a lot about the rules. I also got to watch Robert Vogel run the course. He's pretty amazing.

I just shot a practice session Wednesday night. I was quite happy with my first run through, only had (4) "Downs". (Hits outside of the 8" diameter target zone on a man size silhouette for those unfamiliar with IDPA).

I did have a major operator malfunction on one run though. I was concentrating on getting used to drawing from concealment with my new vest I bought and I managed to forget to load a second mag into my mag pouch. During the run I fired the gun to slide lock, reached for a mag fumbled around for a few seconds and realized I didn't have a mag in the pouch. I frantically started checking the vest pockets, found a mag and inserted it and continued to fire. unfortunately that mag was not full so I still ended up one shot short on the last target.

I thought it was kind of funny afterwards. It reminded me of the scene in the movie Survivors with Robin Williams where he calls "Time Out" during a gun fight because he brought the wrong ammo and wanted to go back and get the right stuff.

unfortunately I couldn't find a video of that but I did find this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPyhmwjH7II" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maldon007

Post by maldon007 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:08 pm

I luckily haven't had any major screw ups like forgetting to reload yet. I saw a couple of guys reloading right after they shot, so that's what I do... Shoot, watch the guys score it, walk back to the table & take a breath, then reload & return to the group. So I'm always ready next round... sometimes the next round is so much later I have to double check if I DID reload.

Anyone who needs any details/info/how-to on the subject should start here, and proceed as needed to the other hundred and some vids-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1ceh7vq6Ag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dpayette

Post by dpayette » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:07 pm

I have entered a few IDPA events local to me, and I agree that they are an excellent way to train. These are 4 scenarios like the OP stated along with 2 skill stages. the skill stages could be shooting one handed strong or weak handed while moving forwards and backwards. The stages will have you drawing from your concealed holster, and exchanging magazines and searching for cover. The IDPA matches cost me $15 to enter, and usually you will consume 100-150 rounds of ammo. You are timed, and there are added time penalties for shooting out of order, failing to neutralize the threat, or shooting the "hostage". You shoot against others with the same caliber, and others in your group will not necessarily have an advantage other than their skill. I generally am very satisfied if I keep from incurring any additional penalties. Like the OP also stated is, your adrenaline is way high during your first stage, and the training benefit is hard to beat for the price.

I realize that many here are already familiar with IDPA, but for those that are on the fence about visiting the next match, stop waiting!

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:34 pm

What was that range? To me it looked like the PAW had already hit it.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:38 pm

Phoenix David wrote:What was that range? To me it looked like the PAW had already hit it.

Yeah I noticed the range appeared to be in a bunker. It looks like there is a beam ceiling but the walls are earth.
I also noticed that it appears that its a 180 degree range, it looked like he was engaging targets at his 3 o'clock position which is not the norm for a lot of ranges.

maldon007

Post by maldon007 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:53 pm

The range is in the middle of an eastern Largo fl. industrial area, so the bunker keeps all rounds inside the grounds... Its basically a long row of concrete roofed, open-ended bays, with heavy timbers/tires/earth dividing them & as a back wall. The rangs is a 180* range, as almost all IDPA is going to be.

The targets are never quite at the 3 o-clock though, as that would push the 180* to it's limits, so it was more like 2:15 ish... And I think that is rare, if the scenario requires movement... from a standing/no movement position I think they feel safer about letting the shooter get close to the 180... Breaking the 180 is a DQ by the way, as is shooting above the berm or below 45* downward (don't quote me on those, but its something like that :rofl: )

dpayette wrote:I have entered a few IDPA events local to me, and I agree that they are an excellent way to train. These are 4 scenarios like the OP stated along with 2 skill stages. the skill stages could be shooting one handed strong or weak handed while moving forwards and backwards. The stages will have you drawing from your concealed holster, and exchanging magazines and searching for cover. The IDPA matches cost me $15 to enter, and usually you will consume 100-150 rounds of ammo. You are timed, and there are added time penalties for shooting out of order, failing to neutralize the threat, or shooting the "hostage". You shoot against others with the same caliber, and others in your group will not necessarily have an advantage other than their skill. I generally am very satisfied if I keep from incurring any additional penalties. Like the OP also stated is, your adrenaline is way high during your first stage, and the training benefit is hard to beat for the price.

I realize that many here are already familiar with IDPA, but for those that are on the fence about visiting the next match, stop waiting!
Not to be a detail Nazi, but its not exactly shooting against others with the same caliber, as the divisions are more about how customized the guns are & weapon type, than the specific caliber... All must be 9mm or greater, but in SSP (stock service pistol) you basically can shoot any stock double action, double action only, or striker fired semi-auto handgun... Then you start getting into custom guns, but they don't allow "race guns" at all... Supposed to be stuff you MIGHT actually carry, as opposed to USPSA which is more "gameish" where its a little more- anything goes.

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Manimal2878 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:53 pm

maldon007 wrote:The range is in the middle of an eastern Largo fl. industrial area, so the bunker keeps all rounds inside the grounds... Its basically a long row of concrete roofed, open-ended bays, with heavy timbers/tires/earth dividing them & as a back wall. The rangs is a 180* range, as almost all IDPA is going to be.

The targets are never quite at the 3 o-clock though, as that would push the 180* to it's limits, so it was more like 2:15 ish... And I think that is rare, if the scenario requires movement... from a standing/no movement position I think they feel safer about letting the shooter get close to the 180... Breaking the 180 is a DQ by the way, as is shooting above the berm or below 45* downward (don't quote me on those, but its something like that :rofl: )
Is that the Wyoming antelope? How does one get started doing idpa there? Become a member?

ronin9

Post by ronin9 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:46 pm

IDPA is great. I've been shooting it for about ten years now. Some will say that it's a game and not training, but as in most things, you get out of it what you want. Keep with it and you will see improvement quickly.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Wed May 28, 2014 8:38 am

Well I actually finally shot my first IDPA match. My gun club holds matches almost every month but I have never shot one. I did work the Michigan State match that my club ran last year. They also host the regional every year so this year I decided to shoot the regional which was two weeks ago.

The match always has a lot of disappearing and moving targets and I knew I was not going to do well on them. Also I shot the match using my carry gun which is a Glock 27 (Sub compact 40 caliber) using full load factory ammo. Most competitors use full size guns in 9mm and hand loaded ammo that is loaded to make a minimum power factor to allow faster follow up shots.

All in all, I was pleased with my performance. I was very near the bottom of my division, (SSP Marksman) but I did not finish last. I did manage to get about half the moving targets. I had one procedural and a few hits on non-threat penalties, but not as many as some did.

There were two stages that gave me the most trouble. The first was a standards stage that required shooting strong hand only and weak hand only while moving (I had quite a few "Downs" on that one. I need to practice more weak handed shooting and moving while shooting.

The other major issue I had was my own fault. In order to speed up the process we were running hot bays. All shooters had to load their guns at each bay. Since the Glock 27 standard mag only holds nine rounds, I have three mags with extended base plates that allow me to load ten rounds. That still does not bring me to the division standard required at the start of a stage. SSP pistols are supposed to be loaded to 10 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber at the start of a string of fire. The normal practice therefore is to load an extra mag in the gun, rack a round into the chamber, then remove that mag and insert a full ten round mag. Well on one stage I forgot to place a full ten round mag in after removing my loading mag.

At the start signal I drew, fired my first shot and the gun locked open! I noticed a flash below my gun when I shot and I thought the mag had not been fully seated and fell out. I spent what seemed like a long time looking on the ground for the dropped mag. Finally I decided to just load another mag and continue. I don't think I realized until after I was done shooting what had actually happened.

Other than that I was actually pleased with my overall shooting. I am already signed up for the state match in August.

maldon007

Post by maldon007 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:01 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:
maldon007 wrote:The range is in the middle of an eastern Largo fl. industrial area, so the bunker keeps all rounds inside the grounds... Its basically a long row of concrete roofed, open-ended bays, with heavy timbers/tires/earth dividing them & as a back wall. The rangs is a 180* range, as almost all IDPA is going to be.

Is that the Wyoming antelope? How does one get started doing idpa there? Become a member?
Sorry for the ridiculously long time to respond :roll: ...Yes, that's the place, they have a decent rifle range as well... I took a short intro class there, which they like all "new to action shooting" types to take, then started going to matches. I think they want you to join the IDPA after a few, but I haven't yet, nor been asked to.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:44 pm

ronin9 wrote:IDPA is great. I've been shooting it for about ten years now. Some will say that it's a game and not training, but as in most things, you get out of it what you want. Keep with it and you will see improvement quickly.
I go with it's a game because it has rules and while it may not be training it's good practice IMO.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

maldon007

Post by maldon007 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:49 am

It is a game/sport, but in the game you train to reload on the move, follow safety protocols, move and shoot, draw and shoot, one handed shooting, etc. A lot of things that would count as "training". So in the same way street racing is not evasive driving class, if someone started chasing you in a car, trying to kill you, and you were a street racer, you might have an advantage the average driver would not.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:11 am

How were you guys watching the first video?

Just goes to a blank page for me.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Open grave

Post by Apathy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Back in the old country, archers used to play a game called rover. Not to be confused with red rover.

It was a lot like golf mixed horseshoes, but with arrows. There was a marked target on the ground, and the archer would stand at extreme distance and try to get it as close as possible. Who ever got closest won that target and then they all moved on to the next one. The one who won the most targets won the game.

This game was played by the yeoman bowman who were required to be proficient with bows in direct fire and indirect fire.

IDPA is kinda like the new rover. It won't teach you the basics, but it will help you get really good while having a bunch of fun.
Liebe läßt sich suchen, finden,
Niemals lernen, oder lehren,
Wer da will die Flamm' entzünden
Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:41 am

Well I shot the Michigan State IDPA match last weekend.

My gun club host the match and I put a lot of work into helping setup and worked Saturday and Sunday on one of the stages. I actually designed two stages for the match, which turned out to be a lot of work because I wanted them to be memorable. I used a lot of props in both stages.

MY shooting was not very good at all. I joked with everyone that I had two goals, not get disqualified and not finish last in my division. I achieved both goals, but I did place next to last in my division. This was my first state match and only my fourth match ever shooting IDPA. I actually placed better at the regional match in May which was my first match ever. I had three pretty good stages out of ten and the rest where not so good. Thinking back I realize that at times I was not getting anywhere near a good sight picture because I was attempting to shoot faster than I did in May. That didn't work out well at all.

Anyways it was a lot of fun although I have been dragging a little trying to get caught up on my sleep.

Return to “Training”