Where can a person train?

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Where can a person train?

Post by Manimal2878 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:14 pm

I see a lot online and in print magazines and on forums about the different drills a person should do, the different ways a person should practice more realistically. A lot of it involves movement and drawing from your holster, firing on multiple targets and acquiring a new site picture, the idea being to train like you should in a fight and all that. One thing I read said to practice a few shots laying on your back and using your weak hand to see what that would be like.

Well, where does a person find a place to train like that? Every indoor range I have ever been to you cannot practice draws, most certainly can't do any sort of movement drills and can only have the one target in your lane. Of the two closest indoor ranges one does not allow "rapid fire" and one seems to allow it. I would get kicked out I'm sure if in tried to practice shots from a supine ground positioning in either.

The only outdoor range I know of within an hours drive is even more ridiculous. All centerfire long guns must be shot from a seated position, and no more than one shot per every two seconds. Apparently though they have softened up, they use to only allow one cartridge to be loaded at a time.

How are you guys able to train realistically? Do that many of you own your own land that you can shoot on?
Is there a special type of club I should be looking to join or something?

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Where can a person train?

Post by Rednex » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:23 pm

Manimal2878 i have the same luck as you do. Got 3 ranges close enough to drive to 2 indoor one out door. The outdoor has the 2 seconds between shots and is in another state that has more restrictive gun laws , so taking most of my handguns or rifles there is jail time for me. It also has the seated while shooting rule on rifle range, handgun you can stand. They allow no drills or holsters.

Indoor that's close handgun and .22 only so they don't get there back stop shot out. No drills or holsters, no rapid fire. Indoor that's a state away lets you rapid fire all you like, they also allow drills and holsters when they are not busy from what the sign says. They do rent full auto 9mm rifles/carbine as well.

So the drills and more movement training is beyond me till i move someplace else or find private land i can use.

There are some drill's you can do in your house like dry firing, draw from a holster ,ect. There is also airsoft if you have a garage you can set up targets in and use the airsoft pistol to do the drills.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.

Post by vawilderness » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:58 pm

You'll have to keep looking for a range that'll let you draw. Next step would be to do a ton of dry fire work at home (draw, trigger squeeze, mag changes, moving to cover... Ect). Then, look for a firearms class in your area. Look for basic hand gun/rifle course. Take one or two courses a year. Go to different ranges, train with different instructors. It's a great time... But can be a significant cost, it's worth it though.

Alternatively, plunk down a couple of hundred-grand on a farm of your own... Plink away.
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Manimal2878 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:04 pm

I have seen some others suggest airsoft or BB gun as well, could this actually be a good way to practice some of these things the backyard?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:13 pm

To a certain extent, yes. Some of the best trainers in the business use airsoft for force on force training, and a 1:1 gas blowback clone can be good for holstering and basic shooting.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Tenderfoot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland; The Walking Dead

Post by Tenderfoot » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:I see some people say airsoft or BB guns could actually be a good way to practice some of these things in the backyard, is that viable?
Doc Beat me.

For certain things like shooting on the move it could be, but IMHO you would need to try to keep your airsoft weapon as close to your carry weapon as possible so you would be familiar with the controls. You can find an airsoft version of most of your common carry guns if you look hard enough. Quality will vary, though. I found that the draw and fire drills are pretty good with snap caps.
"You never know when something will need to be stabbed after being shot repeatedly..."
Local gunstore clerk talking about bayonets

Manimal2878

Post by Manimal2878 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:05 am

I was googling airsoft training guns and came across the SIRT and another similar laserlyte pistol. Anyone use one of these or ever hear of them? Seems you could practice a lot of different thing with them in your house.

wagdhead

Post by wagdhead » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:07 pm

The CMP website is a good source for finding their affiliated ranges many of which are set up for what you are looking for. The search feature is not the best, so you will have to do some legwork in filtering out the school and 4 H clubs. I have found selecting High Power gets rid of a lot of the air rifle only courses.

http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
H. L. Mencken

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:I see a lot online and in print magazines and on forums about the different drills a person should do, the different ways a person should practice more realistically. A lot of it involves movement and drawing from your holster, firing on multiple targets and acquiring a new site picture, the idea being to train like you should in a fight and all that. One thing I read said to practice a few shots laying on your back and using your weak hand to see what that would be like.

Well, where does a person find a place to train like that? Every indoor range I have ever been to you cannot practice draws, most certainly can't do any sort of movement drills and can only have the one target in your lane. Of the two closest indoor ranges one does not allow "rapid fire" and one seems to allow it. I would get kicked out I'm sure if in tried to practice shots from a supine ground positioning in either.

The only outdoor range I know of within an hours drive is even more ridiculous. All centerfire long guns must be shot from a seated position, and no more than one shot per every two seconds. Apparently though they have softened up, they use to only allow one cartridge to be loaded at a time.

How are you guys able to train realistically? Do that many of you own your own land that you can shoot on?
I practice with an Airsoft gun. You can get a gas powered version of your pistol of choice and an electric version of your rifle of choice. I practice a lot in my garage and back yard. You can also put up a target run in a park or what ever, but if you do make sure you buy bio degradable bb's for your weapon. Also check with the local rangers and make sure they are ok with you doing airsoft stuff.

Airsoft training will never replace real training, but its a great and very safe way to practice quick draws and the like. Its also really cheap compared to shooting with brass.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:56 pm

Tenderfoot wrote:
Manimal2878 wrote:I see some people say airsoft or BB guns could actually be a good way to practice some of these things in the backyard, is that viable?
Doc Beat me.

For certain things like shooting on the move it could be, but IMHO you would need to try to keep your airsoft weapon as close to your carry weapon as possible so you would be familiar with the controls. You can find an airsoft version of most of your common carry guns if you look hard enough. Quality will vary, though. I found that the draw and fire drills are pretty good with snap caps.
+3 to what Doc Fab and Tenderfoot said. Certain gun manufactures have licensed airsoft replicas that are near identical to the real thing. I know Sig, Ruger, Taurus, Colt, S&W and Walther have decent co2 powered airsoft guns. I think CO2 "blowback" guns are good trainers, and are also great when there is a gun and ammo panic going on and you cannot even find .22lr to shoot. Airsoft kept my sanity during those dark months.

Here is a website of the airsoft company I dealt with. They are based out of Delaware off of I-95 between Baltimore and Philly. They have a neat physical store that look a lot like a standard gun store.

http://www.shortyusa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is the problem with us folks east of the Mississippi, we don't have enough free open space to go shooting in. Honestly though I rather "Practice" quick drawing moves with an unloaded gun dry firing or with an airsoft. If possible you can always look for a "Class" that will teach you how. I don't want try some new quick draw shooting move and end up with a hole in my leg.

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:08 pm

Another +1 for the airsoft approach. I would still back the airsoft training up with dry fire though, especially weapon malfunction drills.

As far as places to go have you looked into your local BLM land? You can usually do pretty much whatever you would like there.

Recently I joined a local sportsman's club that has 9 different ranges for pretty much anything you can imagine (out to 1600yrds). The have a couple of ranges that are pseudo private that you can set your own situations up on and run through drills. You may want to see what your local area has.

Manimal2878

Post by Manimal2878 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:22 pm

spanningtree wrote:Another +1 for the airsoft approach. I would still back the airsoft training up with dry fire though, especially weapon malfunction drills.

As far as places to go have you looked into your local BLM land? You can usually do pretty much whatever you would like there.

Recently I joined a local sportsman's club that has 9 different ranges for pretty much anything you can imagine (out to 1600yrds). The have a couple of ranges that are pseudo private that you can set your own situations up on and run through drills. You may want to see what your local area has.
What is BLM land? Is that like state owned property or something?

The sports club you describe, with the private areas sounds ideal. (I think some places call them action bays.) I haven't found anything like that yet to be available.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:25 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:
spanningtree wrote:Another +1 for the airsoft approach. I would still back the airsoft training up with dry fire though, especially weapon malfunction drills.

The sports club you describe, with the private areas sounds ideal. (I think some places call them action bays.) I haven't found anything like that yet to be available.
Bureau of Land Management. I dunno about Tampa area, but about an hour north of where I used to live you had the Ocala National Forest public range, for which the rules were basically "don't be an asshole, be courteous and minful of everyone else, and if a section of the range is empty then have fun." Might be something near you. Even the hour drive was worth it, because I could drive out once every month or two and get some good trigger time there, and practice the lower-speed stuff at home.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Manimal2878 wrote:

Bureau of Land Management. I dunno about Tampa area, but about an hour north of where I used to live you had the Ocala National Forest public range, for which the rules were basically "don't be an asshole, be courteous and minful of everyone else, and if a section of the range is empty then have fun." Might be something near you. Even the hour drive was worth it, because I could drive out once every month or two and get some good trigger time there, and practice the lower-speed stuff at home.
I go to the lake city range all the time (and by all the time I mean like 4 times a year, when I forget how much driving an hour and a half to go shooting sucks). It is a nice range. Once I didn't have any cash on me and they were cooking hot dogs and they gave me a hot dog and coke anyway. Cool people there.

Manimal2878

Post by Manimal2878 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Manimal2878 wrote:

Ok, I've never heard it refered to as bureau land, just the national forest.

I know exactly the range you are talking about. I like to go on hiking starting from juniper springs, it's awesome to swim there at the end of a backpacking trip. That range is is real close to the spring entrance.

That may be the closest place like that to me, but it's about 2 hours from here.

furiousjorge

Post by furiousjorge » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:11 am

along with doing a lot of dry fire drills and airsoft, look for an IPSC or IDPA club around. you'll meet a lot of gamers with fancy guns that are fairly impractical, but you'll have an opportunity to shoot on the move, from various positions and cover, and you can always say 'fuck the clock' and be tactical as hell. plus, it's fun as hell.
have you ever been as far as even considered go want to do look more like?

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:21 pm

I would suggest looking into joining a gun club that has a range. The club I joined has an indoor range and an outdoor range. They hold year round practice sessions in IDPA (international Defensive Pistol Association) competition. IDPA is a course where you start with your gun holstered and concealed. At a clock beep you draw and engage multiple targets, sometimes while moving, most time from behind cover. Shooters are scored for time with penalties assessed for misses.

I have even seen courses that required you to shoot from seated in a car, and courses that required you to draw and shoot while seated at a computer.

The club I joined cost $85 a year and charges $5 a session to shoot. I have a key card so I can go shoot anytime I want, and I can set up any scenario I want within the confines of the range.

The IDPA website has a member club locator on it. Select your state and see if there is a club near you.
http://www.idpa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:52 pm

Place an ad on Craig's list' looking for private land to practice safe shooting Cash/trade labor'
Google Florida hunting Tampa Florida
This should give you a start.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:01 pm

+1 for IDPA competitions. It's not hard to get started, as all you really need are a pistol, a couple of spare mags, a holster, eye/ear protection, and a concealment vest. All of IDPA competition is done in scenario form, generally involving either moving from cover to cover or sometimes just within one section of cover and leaning out from side to side. They usually have different levels available, so I'd suggest starting out at the Novice level. While most of the scenarios involve using parts of a house or back deck for cover, I've seen some that involve shooting from inside a vehicle, from lying in a hammock, clearing out a house, or my personal favorite - sitting in a motorboat (the boat was suspended on several heavy-duty straps, so if you leaned left, the boat rocked left and so on, like it would in the water).
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

FleischSchleifer99

Post by FleischSchleifer99 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:54 am

Manimal2878 wrote:I see a lot online and in print magazines and on forums about the different drills a person should do, the different ways a person should practice more realistically. A lot of it involves movement and drawing from your holster, firing on multiple targets and acquiring a new site picture, the idea being to train like you should in a fight and all that. One thing I read said to practice a few shots laying on your back and using your weak hand to see what that would be like.

You can "enlist" on tactical classes or survivalism classes (former co-protagonist of the show of the 2 guys surviving of dicovery channel) those can cost a medium amount of money, but the pay-off is good, search one near you, you don't want to travel 534 km. to shoot a .ss lr rifle at a zombie-like target. :wink:

veamon

Post by veamon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:12 pm

Buy something like Laser Ammo. It works great for training at home and learning where to point-shoot, you can do it anywhere, and no noise.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:58 am

Much of your practice (to note the distinction, training takes place with an instructor) can be done in the comfort and safety of your own home using dry practice.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Return to “Training”