A New How To: Get Killed in a Fire Fight.

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

eeb

Re: A New How To: Get Killed in a Fire Fight.

Post by eeb » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:00 am

gravediggerfour wrote:Wow..

So I guess the Narco's are paying more for training then the .gov, did they start paying in something other then blow and hookers?

After all I am in the job market.
"If the cash is there, I do not care!" :rofl:
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Razor
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Razor » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:39 pm

I would murder my soldiers if they ever acted any thing like that in a fire fight. My blood is boiling right now just having watched that.

So many throat punches needed....
Absit invidia.

AnonEmouse

Post by AnonEmouse » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Last edited by AnonEmouse on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnonEmouse

Post by AnonEmouse » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Razor wrote:I would murder my soldiers if they ever acted any thing like that in a fire fight. My blood is boiling right now just having watched that.

So many throat punches needed....

Quite similar here , so many mistakes it's hard to know where to begin. And against a squad with only the most basic of tactics and little fire discipline.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:01 pm

How hard is "Lay down behind something and kill everything that isn't us"?
Hell, my ten year old knows how to take cover, lay down cover fire, and do 3-5 second rushes. Somebody get these yahoos a playstation and some Modern Warfare games.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:21 am

jamoni wrote:How hard is "Lay down behind something and kill everything that isn't us"?
And the award for 'Basic Infantry Tactics in 10 Words or Less' goes to... :lol:
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:32 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:
jamoni wrote:How hard is "Lay down behind something and kill everything that isn't us"?
And the award for 'Basic Infantry Tactics in 10 Words or Less' goes to... :lol:
Apologies for not actually contributing anything, but... that got me to laugh out loud. Literally!

:-D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

nathat

Post by nathat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:00 pm

Well, that was amazing. I would think the fight or flight response would take over more than that...

Pinkmist

Post by Pinkmist » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:29 am

I think you guys maybe taking a lot out of context. I just watched another clip of the same event with another couple of minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah-B0LpjAec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are out doing some sort of operation when they come under fire while they are in the area of a farm house. They get down and try to locate the source of the fire. The leader gets on the radio and starts calling in for close air support. At this point they are told that they are in an area held by a big FARC commander which means they are up against a larger and better armed force then they anticipated.

The leader then sends the journalist and the SGT back to the open area which the video shows in order to get extracted by helicopter. There are likely wounded troops we don't see on camera at the location which means the element we see isn't likely to try to move with wounded. They don't have direct communications with the gunships so if they do got trying to maneuver around they may get friendly fire. Also they don't have communications with the helicopter that is trying to extract them. They are separated from the main force and right now their commander knows their exact position as does the air crew. They move and they risk getting shot by their own people, the guerrillas, or finding themselves in enemy territory with know way out. So that is why see them depending on the helicopters and radio to the captain for help. In the video one of the soldiers mentions thinking that the FARC doesn't know their position and that he doesn't want to fire because that will draw attention. I'm not saying this is what right looks like but the video makes more sense with more context.

The FARC is no joke. They have been fighting for decades so they have lots of experience. They are also very well funded and equipped to the point you could mistake them for a conventional army. And in this particular instance the firefight literally takes place in their backyard where they know the ground intimately. I'm not surprised that a force that wandered into their turf got mauled.

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Mindset.

Soldier said this is a job just like any other. Bet he FARC think differantly.
Beretta accept no substitute.

Sgt Phillips

Post by Sgt Phillips » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:16 pm

Well at least i know after i get outta the Marines i can fly down there and take over as training instructor lol

FleischSchleifer99

Post by FleischSchleifer99 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:45 am

Dave_M wrote:Saw this on another forum, If you are trained, you will get mad at the guys in the video (who caused their own destruction). If you aren't trained.. well, you should be. I hope that this isn't common practice for counter-Narco's in Columbia--otherwise, they are all screwed.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=197_1362339682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hhahahahahahahaha "uy papasito !" what the fuck with these guys, and i thought my army (Mexico was fucked up in training ! :lol:

HrothBull

Post by HrothBull » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:01 am

Wow. They were just walking around like they were on a hiking trip.

Boom40mm

Post by Boom40mm » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:10 pm

a fire team taking on a squad(-) WITHOUT the element of surprise and an advantageous position is gonna have a bad day.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Just re-watched this and again my take away is:

DO SOMETHING.

It almost doesn't matter what. If you see something to shoot, shoot it. If not, move. Or shoot in a direction they might be, then move. Moving can be towards or away. Whatever. But just about ANYTHING is better than nothing.

Boom40mm

Post by Boom40mm » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Jeriah wrote:Just re-watched this and again my take away is:

DO SOMETHING.

It almost doesn't matter what. If you see something to shoot, shoot it. If not, move. Or shoot in a direction they might be, then move. Moving can be towards or away. Whatever. But just about ANYTHING is better than nothing.
Yes some good quotage to keep in mind "Fire without movement is a waste of ammunition, movement without fire is suicide" and "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."

These fall on their NCO not taking any initiative or properly employing the weapon systems he had at hand.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:40 pm

Jeriah wrote:Just re-watched this and again my take away is:

DO SOMETHING.

"If you're not shooting, and you're not moving, and you're not communicating, you better be real busy dying."
-GySgt Staley
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Haven't seen that in a while.

1- Vacuum at leadership
2- No real plan
3- Lack of any sense of urgency (see 1&2)
4- Ineffective use of terrain cover/ concealment
5- No use of IMT
6- No coordination of fire and maneuver

It is easier to say what went right.

I did not see anything go right.

Shitty pay, leadership, resourcing and training leads to full body bags.

The idea that we can drop some SOF forces in somewhere and build up an indigenous rag tag force into a respectable fighting force is a good one. It has been proven many times. However it only works where the people are motivated and merely lack the tools.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Boom40mm

Post by Boom40mm » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:11 pm

One that went right:

Cameraman didn't pick up a weapon and become a combatant. (And they weren't Muj so no filmed decapitation)

Return to “Training”