Basic Fitness for Firearms Enthusiasts and Other Humans

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Re: Basic Fitness for Firearms Enthusiasts and Other Humans

Post by maine1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:19 am

Fitness is the most basic, crucial, and most neglected aspect of the survival/freedom/firearms world.

While i have never considered myself an athelete, I have been pretty active most of my life- taking it for granted when younger, doing things that caused me some injury over time.

after being a free wieght addict for years, I am doing the "convict conditioning" program.
I really like it, as the past several years i had been a bit annoyed with the need for equipment for workouts.

Some will downplay this, as i would have in the past, but the pushup progression - done with proper timing and form- is frickin' great, as is the rest of it.

The downside? It takes TIME- not a long time to DO wthe workout, its just not going to give you results that are quickly visible, as the popular DVD based programs promise. CC makes go muscle, not show muscle.

It will also enable you to re- coup from injury, and go beyond where you thought your limits were. Itsalready helped my joints.
I'll be 41 this year, and if I maintain the pace i have been progressing at, I'll be doing 1 arm pushups this year. Then I'll work on handstand pushups.

I also like the historical aspect of fitness that this guy reminds us of: the strongmen of old could preform feats of strenght that few modern bodybuilders could do without injury.

For cardio, i want to ease back in to running, as i really miss it, but i want to spare the knees, and diversify. I do sets of 100 burpees, breakign it into smaller sets, and soem days I'll walk 3 or so miles, sometimes on the treadmill. 25 yard sprints with bladework for another cardio workout, and bagwork.
I don't expect to do the 'relaxing" 14 mile runs i used to do on sundays, but 3-5 miles with gas left over, i do, if not this year then next.

Find something you like- and KEEP DOING IT- thats most of the battle.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:03 am

Great post Maine :)

I'm on the same page as you with function over show. I'm never going to be pretty, but I want to be able to function at a respectable (to me) level. I do want to be slim. The prison workout stuff isn't too far from crossfit in its philosophy. I had one instructor who would remind us how much that could be accomplished with just body weight workouts (pull ups, push ups, squats, burpees etc) like you are saying. To be honest, most of my workouts are body weight too

I like running too but have become concerned about the toll it will take on my joints as I'm getting older (36). My grandparents are getting less and less mobile from joint problems, but they were mostly sedentary too. Either way, I look to elliptical and other less-impact type things to supplement my cardio. I still run because it's fun and it's a good whole body type workout.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:20 pm

Freaking hate burpees. Seriously, I would rather do a 5 mile ruck run than 50 burpees.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:25 pm

We would do 150 for time a couple three times a year. I'd be dizzy and ready to barf well before 75
Team Beards&Irons 2013

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:35 pm

TheLastOne wrote:We would do 150 for time a couple three times a year. I'd be dizzy and ready to barf well before 75
I'm convinced that they are not a great idea. Maybe it's just my crippled body, but I feel it in my joints before I feel it in my muscles.

Achilles21

Post by Achilles21 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:33 pm

I see some crossfit and body weight program type guys on here, anybody else like myself and come from the bodybuilding/powerlifting side? I'm not really big on bodyweight type stuff outside of weighed pushups/pullups.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:25 pm

Achilles21 wrote:I see some crossfit and body weight program type guys on here, anybody else like myself and come from the bodybuilding/powerlifting side? I'm not really big on bodyweight type stuff outside of weighed pushups/pullups.

At one time, that is what i did. While i do not have great genetics, people told me that i was built pretty good.
BUT....once i got intot he powerlifting a year or two, i noticed that I was a lot stronger, but also less lean and i did not FEEL the same. Not as quick, not as able to run, but stronger, and added some of the muscle in my 30's that i worked too hard for in my 20's.

once I got it, it was not as functional as i wanted it- BUT that might have been due to the way i trained it.

I have never seen a powerlifter/bodybuilrer type that could do a handstand pushup, or a one legged squat. I can't right now, but i am working towards it. Gymnasts can do this pretty easily, and if one looks at the guys, they are pretty built ( weights are likelye part of this, just not the only method used)

Again, anything that gives you the ability to hike, haul gear, your kids, and is something that you can maintain interest in, is good to go. just do SOMETHING every day.

Achilles21

Post by Achilles21 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:20 pm

You would certianly be surprised by some guys nowadays because of the training and nutrition discoveries we've made just in the past few years. Take for example this guy named Tuan Tran who is both a bodybuilder and powerlifter. I've worked out with him before at metroflex in Houston and he's amazing. The guy is pound for pound the strongest person I've ever met, 400+ pound bench max yet is still a crazy athlete.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Cardiovascular health is paramount for longevity. These days I do a lot of running (mostly because I'm in Marathon training) but I really feel great after a long run.

Yes, it can be hard on the joints (which is why I go with low-impact exercise on non-training days) but wow, I feel great after.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the first fifteen minutes of any cardio exercise; then I fall into a rhythm and don't want to stop. When the endorphins hit, it feels great (about every five miles or so for me. YMMV.)
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

CorpsmanUp

Post by CorpsmanUp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:07 pm

Just started soccer season.

I play sports year round to try and keep in shape. My shoulders are shot so I don't lift heavy anymore.

I basically do PT and light weights - just to keep the parts moving.

Every year it gets harder and harder to recover in time for the next game. Heh. I start feeling decent then get worked all over again. Still playing with the 20 yo's with a bum leg. Not going to lie and say I'm as fast as them now, but I get lucky every once and a while.

You don't have to run 10 miles a day to keep in shape. Find some type of physical activity you like to do and just go out and do. Be it walking or playing a sport.

While you're in front of the TV bust out a deck of cards. Face down. Flip over one by one and bang out that amount of pushups. Keep doing it until the commercials are over and the show starts again. Face cards are 10. Bang out situps. Then stretch. You can do all that while you're watching your favorite show.

I love doing pull ups. Has to be the best exercise you can do. Get yourself a pull up bar. I have one that goes between my office door. Each time I walk in or out I have to pay the man and bang some out.

Simple things like that can keep you in shape.

maine1

Post by maine1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Achilles21 wrote:You would certianly be surprised by some guys nowadays because of the training and nutrition discoveries we've made just in the past few years. Take for example this guy named Tuan Tran who is both a bodybuilder and powerlifter. I've worked out with him before at metroflex in Houston and he's amazing. The guy is pound for pound the strongest person I've ever met, 400+ pound bench max yet is still a crazy athlete.

Oh, i was not poo-pooing powerlifting ect. alltogether, just how most guys seem to think it instantly equates to capability. worked in to other activity, its a real asset.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:07 am

Dave_M wrote:Cardiovascular health is paramount for longevity. These days I do a lot of running (mostly because I'm in Marathon training) but I really feel great after a long run.

Yes, it can be hard on the joints (which is why I go with low-impact exercise on non-training days) but wow, I feel great after.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the first fifteen minutes of any cardio exercise; then I fall into a rhythm and don't want to stop. When the endorphins hit, it feels great (about every five miles or so for me. YMMV.)

I'm the same when it comes to getting started. My motivation has to come from how good I know I'm going to feel when I'm done. I've never run anywhere near marathon length. Maybe someday
Team Beards&Irons 2013

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:52 pm

I am working on integrating my fitness and firearms training. Right now it is just doing them both in the same week. MWF weights and cardio, TThSat grip and dry or live fire. I am just getting back into the groove and this is only my second week back at working out. In fact right now my heart is probably still well over 100 BPM, it was 119 a few minutes ago when I got in.

Currently since I am in such bad shape I do the treadmill first. Plus it helps me not lift as much with my questionable shoulders. I have some osteoarthritis, more in my left shoulder. So I do the treadmill first then about 3 lifts or moves. More later, supper is ready now.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

Paul J
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Romero movies. Others tend to pale in comparison.

Post by Paul J » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:24 pm

Gents, this is a great thread and one of the most overlooked aspects of training for combat. As for myself, I have been trying to get away from the old routine of 5 milers and weight lifting, and move more toward more practical excersise routines (crossfittish) . I also have begun to focus more on grip stength (climbing, carrying heavy things, pistol recoil management) I still do a moderate distance run (5-8 Mi) once a week, because as Dave said; it makes ya feel good.

OP, great idea for a thread!
My M4 kills bugs dead

maine1

Post by maine1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:18 am

don't forget about rifle PT!

its a more useful version of tourture. builds a useful type of endurance with the actual tool.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:53 pm

After another weekend of eating more than I wanted to, 223 lbs.

Yeah, 2 servings of Apple and cherry cobbler. So good.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Well I'm down 5lbs of french fries that I had put on. 5 to go. I've also lost quite a bit of muscle mass, but whattaya gonna do. I'm only able to get to the gym 3 days a week, which is better than nothing I suppose. Have to make some trade-offs.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Shoulders today,

4 x 25 military press with light log
4 x 25 knee raised
15 x 10 military press with heavy log

500 (both arms, total) one armed shoulder press w/ medium log

Tomorrow I'm thinking about doing a ruck march; if not that, at least a few hundred squats with full kit

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Achilles21 wrote:I see some crossfit and body weight program type guys on here, anybody else like myself and come from the bodybuilding/powerlifting side? I'm not really big on bodyweight type stuff outside of weighed pushups/pullups.

This was me forever. I played sports all through high school, college, and after college (football and rugby). Because of the type of sports and my frame, size and strength were always the emphasis. Now that I'm older and no longer compete in these, other than the rare and odd rugby match, I have absolutely zero need for this type of lifting. Unless it's for my own gratification and desire, but not really of practical use. And that realization has led me to a new direction in my training.

I just went through my first real crossfit training program yesterday. OMG. I may have accidentally attempted suicide by heart attack. I didn't know you could do that, but I'm pretty sure you can. I was wheezing and light headed, and may have coughed up a bit of blood, but it was awesome. Loved it. I will have to slow my roll a bit though. I'm used to always going full tilt on my weight lifting, but not with the cardio at the same time. I'm hydrating like a SOB, and looking forward to the next go-round. And one thing I realized, it's a form of competition, but without the pounding that I normally put myself through. Give it a shot folks.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:14 pm

It is the most competitive thing I've ever done. If I wasn't done first in class for timed workouts I was pissed. PISSED! :rofl:

It would irk me to no end also the dickheads, who were bigger and 'stronger' than me, were using kettle bells at half the weight I was using, not squatting all the way down, no full extension on pull ups etc etc etc. Once I got good it was more about the competition against myself, which is as it should be, because who really gives a fuck about what that assclown over there is doing :lol:
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:27 am

TheLastOne wrote:It is the most competitive thing I've ever done. If I wasn't done first in class for timed workouts I was pissed. PISSED! :rofl:

It would irk me to no end also the dickheads, who were bigger and 'stronger' than me, were using kettle bells at half the weight I was using, not squatting all the way down, no full extension on pull ups etc etc etc. Once I got good it was more about the competition against myself, which is as it should be, because who really gives a fuck about what that assclown over there is doing :lol:
That's actually one of the complaints one of my good friends has about cross-fit. His statement went something like this:
"What I see happen in a lot of Cross-Fit classes are people sacrificing good form for speed, and causing injury because of it. I've lifted daily for well over a decade so when I'm in a class like that, I know not to fuck up my squat/whatever form and hurt myself just to be competitive. However, unless you have a lifting background, you might not even know that you're hurting yourself until it's too late.

I suppose it really comes down to the Cross-Fit instructor. if you have someone who knows what he's doing, then he's not going to push someone to injury and is going to correct form. That said, I've met several that are just d-bags trying to make themselves feel better by making other people throw up."
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Both of you are correct. I played football with the guy teaching the class, and he comes from the same type of mindset/style I did (lifting for size and power with proper form), so he's constantly correcting and teaching. And talk about a body transformation.... This guy played strong safety at about 6'3", 230, and was ripped then. Ten years later he's dropped to 200. He said he's lost some strength and weight, but gained a ridiculous amount of endurance. I think the size/power foundation, then transitioning to this, will work really well.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:07 pm

Dave_M wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:It is the most competitive thing I've ever done. If I wasn't done first in class for timed workouts I was pissed. PISSED! :rofl:

That's actually one of the complaints one of my good friends has about cross-fit. His statement went something like this:
"What I see happen in a lot of Cross-Fit classes are people sacrificing good form for speed, and causing injury because of it. I've lifted daily for well over a decade so when I'm in a class like that, I know not to fuck up my squat/whatever form and hurt myself just to be competitive. However, unless you have a lifting background, you might not even know that you're hurting yourself until it's too late.

I suppose it really comes down to the Cross-Fit instructor. if you have someone who knows what he's doing, then he's not going to push someone to injury and is going to correct form. That said, I've met several that are just d-bags trying to make themselves feel better by making other people throw up."

Truth. It's down to the client knowing what they are supposed to be looking for in an instructor. If you aren't doing the form right, you very likely will become injured at some point, and you sure as shit aren't getting nearly the entire benefit of the exercise.

I know a couple of good places that your first week is all classroom and you have to pass form tests to show you know how to do each exercise etc. That's pretty hardcore and not the norm though. People should have more sense about what they get involved in. :words:

What it came down to for me was doing it right and competing against myself/time, but still smoking as many mofos as I could.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:24 am

As a polar opposite to this crossfit nonsense (good nonsense though) I've hit a new milestone by hitting 11 miles in 45 minutes at an average pace of 15mph. Woo. Also have had to retire at least one pair of pants. Unfortunately, because th zeipper broke, and not because I dropped my emergency ration storage.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “Training”