Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Basic Fitness for Firearms Enthusiasts and Other Humans

Post by TheLastOne » Thu May 09, 2013 9:30 am

maine1 wrote:question for you bikers:

I am flirting with the idea of riding my MtN bike to work, or at least one way, to save gas, and for cardio/leg workout.
I used to ride quite a bit, and once i get my bike fixed properly ( a Diamondback Topanga, its about to hit its 20th aniversary, buts its been with me forever, and I have rode the crap out of it. not as slick as a more advanced design, i am sure, but it will do)

What is an average/reasonable time to shoot for? My fomer commutes with the bike in CA were minutes long, a few miles. I was in FAR greater shape then, and the way was easier. I'll be going off road on good gravel trails for soem of this.
I'd thjink that once i got into shape for ridign again, i'd be able to knock this out in an hour or so- is that realistic?
I've always been more of a runner than a biker or swimmer, so that is where i tend to default to.

uh how far is your work? Is it uphill both ways?

Biking is something I've considered too. Work is only 7 miles away but I need to scope a route that won't get me killed (and it means I can't carry :vmad: ). Also don't want to show up as a pile of stank when I get there during the summer.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:56 pm

its 14 miles, give or take, one way. I'll leave early enough so i can grab a quick shower at work before going on duty.

i am taking the bike in to the shop today. i have always doen my own repairs and things on my bikes, but this one needs a bit of TLC. Once the bike is up to snuff, I'll see if this is feasable.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:28 pm

Make a practice run on the weekend. Add in a little bit of time for traffic. If you maintain a comfortable pace of 10mph, it'll be about 1.4 hours. 20mph brings it down to about 42 minutes. It'll take a while to get to the point of maintaining 20mph for 42 minutes though. Plan on a 2 hr trip, and go from there. Having been the guy that didn't ride for a couple decades, then one day decide to take a 10 mile ride for shits and giggles, it sucks. Those are muscles that aren't used in normal exercise. Mind you, at the time, I was running a 6 min/mile pace for 10 miles, and the bike ride still hurt. The weekend test run will let you know how much it's going to suck, and will let you ease into it a little more instead of just getting on the bike one morning and trying to get to work.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:20 pm

Another 90lb 3 mile ruck done. Maintained pace even through the blisters. I think I popped them on this round though, so the healing should begin... I'm thinking I might add in a circuit loop to my daily training though and do as I posted in the other fitness thread. It worked for me back then, it should work again now. Getting back into shape is a pain in the rear.

That Crossfit stuff in the OP is a solid training plan as well. If you're not puking, you're not doing it right.

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:07 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:Make a practice run on the weekend. Add in a little bit of time for traffic. If you maintain a comfortable pace of 10mph, it'll be about 1.4 hours. 20mph brings it down to about 42 minutes. It'll take a while to get to the point of maintaining 20mph for 42 minutes though. Plan on a 2 hr trip, and go from there. Having been the guy that didn't ride for a couple decades, then one day decide to take a 10 mile ride for shits and giggles, it sucks. Those are muscles that aren't used in normal exercise. Mind you, at the time, I was running a 6 min/mile pace for 10 miles, and the bike ride still hurt. The weekend test run will let you know how much it's going to suck, and will let you ease into it a little more instead of just getting on the bike one morning and trying to get to work.

Thats pretty much my plan...'cept for the traffic part. We have the old railroad beds converted to some pretty nice gravel trails that head through the woods adjacent to the highway. I can take either one, but i will try both in the conditioning phase to see if one is faster than another, or if a combination is the best aproach. i am going to give this a month or so, combined with a little running, and see where it goes. I wanted to do this for a few years, just had not got the bike fixed. dropped it off today, and I am hoping for an affordable repair. my son and wife just got new bikes, so this is goign to be a summer activity along with running various rivers with the kayaks. good times.

one minor concern is my knees, not used to the activity as they used to be, so i'll be aproaching this more gradually than i really want to, and seeing how the body responds, i HAVE learned a few things in the interveining years.

-thanks for the input, guys.

maine1

Post by maine1 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:13 pm

The bike was done today, and Boy i wish i had had it fixed sooner- 56 bucks!

gonna start conditioning.
Also, found some Asics GT200 locally, new running shoes next payday!

I missed running FAR more than the MTB, but to get back in to both again will be great fun despite the gut busting work.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:23 pm

I just started biking again, love it and it really helps keep me trained between runs (I'm old & don't love the idea of my doc starting a conversation with- I've seen worse cartilage in knees...).

I take it to the store, to pick up my kid from school, and just for rides... With the add ons, I can carry 3 kids (130lb. worth + trailer/rear seat) & on the hills that is a decent workout.

Here's a pic all 3 kids in tow...

maine1

Post by maine1 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:35 pm

if they are anything like my son, neices and nephews, they will start chanting " faster, faster" in unison.

looks like a good workout, though.

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Thu May 16, 2013 11:16 pm

worked some tabata stuff today:

Sledge hammer and tire strikes 4 minute tabata
400 meter run
sledgehammer and tire thrusts 4 minute tabata
400 meter run
35 lb kettle bell clean and press 4 minute tabata
400 meter run
35 lb kettle bell shoulder press 4 minute tabata
400 meter run

Performed wearing body armor (steel plates). Not fun.

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Sat May 18, 2013 12:06 am

Picked up a few 2-300 lb'ers on back boards tonight, so I don't feel guilty for missing my workout today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get off my lawn!!

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Sat May 18, 2013 12:08 am

ancient_serpent wrote:worked some tabata stuff today:

Sledge hammer and tire strikes 4 minute tabata
400 meter run
sledgehammer and tire thrusts 4 minute tabata
400 meter run
35 lb kettle bell clean and press 4 minute tabata
400 meter run
35 lb kettle bell shoulder press 4 minute tabata
400 meter run

Performed wearing body armor (steel plates). Not fun.
Damn dude, that would've made an awesome workout video. GET SOME!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get off my lawn!!

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:14 am

Haha! I hit 211 lbs. I'm losing about a 1 lbs a week.

Working it down. :D

If I keep on track, 11 weeks I'll hit 200.

I haven't really changed my workout except for adding a chest routine. I've upped my curls to 30 lbs and I'm going to bump it up to 35lbs soon. I'm going to get 40lbs barbells for the chest routine. I've also gone to 40 minutes walking at level 4 incline at 4 mph. I tried jogging a few times and my knee was super sore for a few days.

Training set back: I sprained my pinky sparring. Man, it hurts. It's still not right and it's been jacked up for over a month. All I've been practicing is jabs.
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:33 am

Nice! I happen to have (had) the same goal weight, and hit it a couple of weeks ago. Now I hover between 200 and 205, and hit the diet if I go over 205 (but eat generally healthy all the time). It feels damn good to get there!

(btw, that's down from 257 in October)

Rogue45

Post by Rogue45 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:31 pm

Just found this thread and it has given me some motivation. I appreciate the tips and workout advice. I need to work on my cardio and lose some weight. I'm a far cry from my Marine Corps days. I went to boot camp at 5' 11", 160lbs and 11 weeks later I was 175. My final PFT when I was in the Marines (not my best score) I ran the 3 miles in 22 minutes, did 100 crunches, and 16 pullups which was still good enough for a 1st class score. Due to being a late bloomer, I grew 2' after turning 18 and when I left the Corps I was 187 lbs at 6' 1".

Well, 13 years later I'm 35, 6' 1", 243 lbs as of a couple days ago. I have a 37 inch waist, 49 inch chest, and 17 inch neck. I weighed 260 lbs 2 years ago and after about 8 months of eating better and working out I got down to 219lbs so I know I can lose the weight. Over the past year or so I've gotten lazy and am trying to remedy that. I do work out 2-3 times a week, but I don't do enough cardio and my diet sucks. My body type has changed over the years, I have a bad left knee and I can't do a conventional pushup (have to use the "Perfect Pushup") due to wrist surgery, but I'm gonna take a shot at getting down to 215 or so. I feel at that weight I have good mobility and flexibility, but still enough "ass" to not get thrown around in my job (Corrections Deputy).

Now that all that is said... I'll post updates of my progress. I was going to post pics, but I don't want to subject you innocent people to that kind of horror. :D
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:38 am

Good luck! I have problems with my wrists too. I have to do pushups with fists clenched and parallel to my body as not have any pain. They're much harder that way bug at least I can do them. Maybe try it that way?
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Rogue45

Post by Rogue45 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:21 am

Thanks :) i basically do them that way anyhow, the "perfect pushup" mimics fist pushups without the impact.
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:56 am

Ten Eight wrote:Good luck! I have problems with my wrists too. I have to do pushups with fists clenched and parallel to my body as not have any pain. They're much harder that way bug at least I can do them. Maybe try it that way?
This was discussed in another thread - resident sports scientists and others agreed that investment in pushup bars is the best option. I've same problems and the pushupbar is much better than the fist because it offers better stabilization.
Man is a beast of prey

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Or you all can quit being weenies and do pushups on dumb bells and do alternating rows after each push up :rofl: very good for core.

I've been doing poorly with the work schedule fluctuating and having a pretty girl at home that I like spending time with. Going to the gym next two mornings and doing a good bike ride on Sunday.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

maine1

Post by maine1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:02 am

the last 5 or so years i have been in "F the gym" mode. my best workouts and results have come from training at home.

Running is my current passion: i have not been able to run regularly since my early 30's, and i really truly MISSED it.
due to muscle imbalances and some poor advice form former trainers, i had knee pain and shin splints pretty badly every time i ran.
a couple of years ago i decided to actually see a doctor about it: after about 2 years of physical therapy and progressive exersize, i am- knock on wood!- in the process of getting my legs back, at 41.

I need more specific shoes, at least for now, and also for now, i stick to dirt. Once i work back up in mileage, i think the soft tissues will be conditioned enough for pavement.

Again, I really reccomend the "convict conditioning" and or"naked warrior" type of bodyweight workouts- if you think they will not make you functionally MORE strong than free weights, you have a very pleasant surprise coming!

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:24 am

I'm dropping my gym membership this week. Between my work's gym and the park I'll be set. $32 a month saved.

Been reading up on Convict Conditioning. I'm getting ready to order the book. I've downloaded the Super FAQ and looked over the progression charts already.

I'm down to 203 from 210 in 3 weeks. Trying to get back down to a ripped 185-190. Gingerbread Man is correct. Cut those carbs except post work out, cut back your portion sizes, and drink a ton of water.

maine1, care to elaborate on your Convict Conditioning experience?
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:24 am

I've heard a lot about CC but not much positive - also interested to hear.
Man is a beast of prey

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:25 am

TheLastOne wrote:Or you all can quit being weenies and do pushups on dumb bells and do alternating rows after each push up :rofl: very good for core.

I've been doing poorly with the work schedule fluctuating and having a pretty girl at home that I like spending time with. Going to the gym next two mornings and doing a good bike ride on Sunday.
Only weenies make excuses for their lack of training ;) !!
Man is a beast of prey

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:54 am

maine1 wrote:Again, I really reccomend the "convict conditioning" and or"naked warrior" type of bodyweight workouts- if you think they will not make you functionally MORE strong than free weights, you have a very pleasant surprise coming!
I love mixing bodyweight workouts with free weights, but I don't know if I buy that bodyweight workouts will make you 'functionally' more strong than freeweights. I suppose it depends on your definition of what 'function' is. For me, 'function' might involve lifting heavy people while wearing heavy gear in akward positions. On any given day it might also involve dragging or carrying heavy equipment or dismantling portions of a building by hand. Being able to do a bunch of pull ups is awesome, as is being able to do hundreds of bodyweight squats. Sometimes, though, raw horsepower is what's called for, at least in my profession.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Hey everybody, I've got a question/situation and I don't know precisely what to do about it.

For the last 13 years I have been a runner/jogger/marathoner etc. I have been essentially injury free during that time (occasional shin splints). My right heel/foot is very sore almost causing me to limp. My older brother diagnosed me with Plantar Fasciitis (he isn't a doctor, but he is a seasoned IronMan athlete). He listed the symptoms and everything fits except I can't understand why I only have it in my right foot and not my left.

Anyway the various running/exercising forums all have different opinions on how to treat. So I turn to this forum for informed opinions.

I'm kind of freaking out because I have taken it easy for a couple of weeks and I'm up 9 lbs! But it hurts to run so I guess I'll have to augment with more strength training.

Return to “Training”