Shooting data book

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
taipan821
* * *
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:58 am

Shooting data book

Post by taipan821 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:52 am

Hello all

I'm wanting to try and get better at field shooting, one thing I want to do is maintain a range book. I have been looking at sniper data books, and I'm wondering if there is any free metric versions out there?

alternatively, if anyone can give me in detail what sort of stuff should be in one I could make one up myself
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2348
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Shooting data book

Post by flybynight » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:01 am

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
SRO1911
* * *
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:16 pm
Location: Abilene, TX

Re: Shooting data book

Post by SRO1911 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:24 pm

I use a weathermax notebook, they are similar (but both better and cheaper imo) to write-in the rain notebooks. They have a very clearly defined grid, and I just create my own columns with a red gel pen - then fill in data with my edc pen (uses fisher space pen refills).
Unless you are part of an organization that has specific protocols for a log book, DIY seems to be the way to go.
I put the data in such a way that is most useful to me, even though it requires some double entry. The Front of the book is entries by date, open from the back and its tabbed into ranges. 0-100 100-200 200-300 etc. I make my entries by date while I am shooting, then later fill in spots on the back. Since I live and shoot in a very flat area with major temp swings, my ranged data in the back is broken down by temp, with wind values next.

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3716
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: Shooting data book

Post by Halfapint » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:57 pm

taipan821 wrote:Hello all

I'm wanting to try and get better at field shooting, one thing I want to do is maintain a range book. I have been looking at sniper data books, and I'm wondering if there is any free metric versions out there?

alternatively, if anyone can give me in detail what sort of stuff should be in one I could make one up myself
Please, excuse my ignorance. However aren't you in the Philippines? I'm sorry I cannot remember for sure. What are the gun laws? What's the longest range you are able to shoot at?
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6584
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Shooting data book

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:21 pm

Halfapint wrote:
taipan821 wrote:Hello all

I'm wanting to try and get better at field shooting, one thing I want to do is maintain a range book. I have been looking at sniper data books, and I'm wondering if there is any free metric versions out there?

alternatively, if anyone can give me in detail what sort of stuff should be in one I could make one up myself
Please, excuse my ignorance. However aren't you in the Philippines? I'm sorry I cannot remember for sure. What are the gun laws? What's the longest range you are able to shoot at?
I could've sworn Taipan was in either New Zealand or Australia.

Or am I thinking of someone else ?

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2348
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Shooting data book

Post by flybynight » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:16 pm

I thought he lives in Australia too. But what do I know. I think most of you live three steps past normal and way beyond the point of whar thee be dragons :clownshoes:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

taipan821
* * *
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:58 am

Re: Shooting data book

Post by taipan821 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:37 am

To clarify for everyone

I reside in Australia, I have access to a 900m range. Bolt action rifle (semi is essentially banned) and as long as it isn't chambered in a 'military calibre (.338 Lapua, .50BMG) it is usually fine, though the question is asked why the larger round (to hunt water buffalo of course!)

weather can be mid 20s to high thirties (celcius) with humidity ranging from 40% to 101%, rain and wind is common on the range depending on season

And Flybynight, you're not far off, but its called 'whoop whoop' here. I am approximately 4 hours from 'whoop whoop'
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3716
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: Shooting data book

Post by Halfapint » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:58 am

So, what are you shooting? And honestly I'm sorry to derail your thread. I'm interested in what this thread brings. I'm looking for something as well.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

taipan821
* * *
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:58 am

Re: Shooting data book

Post by taipan821 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:19 am

currently shooting .223 Ruger American (because I have bulk quantities of ammo) to get back into it, relearn how to shoot accurate. I'm shooting 100m on a 300m range at the moment. I'm at the basic stage, and wanting to develop good, long range shooting practices early

Maybe we should have a standard target, to share improvements in our shooting?
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

Post Reply

Return to “Training”