Revolvers

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Buddychrist

Revolvers

Post by Buddychrist » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Does anyone make a 454 Casull revolver that has a 30-06 single shot barrel on the bottom?

This is just out of interest after seeing this fake but awesome design!

ImageImage

CitizenZ

Re: Revolvers

Post by CitizenZ » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:26 pm

:?:
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

Buddychrist

Revolvers

Post by Buddychrist » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Reasoning behind wanting a pistol with such large calibers is I am looking to get one to carry on my property for dangerous game defense since my neighbor owns a wildlife sanctuary

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:07 pm

There has to be something already in existence that's less exotic than that. .454 casull is not big enough? What do they have? Elephants?
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:55 pm

What exactly would a .30-06 do out of that barrel length that a .454 wouldn't?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:59 pm

Doc Torr wrote:What exactly would a .30-06 do out of that barrel length that a .454 wouldn't?
That's kinda what I'm asking too.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

LastBoyScout
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: South Sacramento at night when view from a patrol car.

Post by LastBoyScout » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Doc Torr wrote:What exactly would a .30-06 do out of that barrel length that a .454 wouldn't?

Make more Noise.

I have scene a lot of things taken with a .454 in africa having been hunting there twice and both times with a partner who carried a .454. Freedom Arms the first time and a Ruger the second.

You just have to put in the work to shoot it right.
LastBoyscout

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

Helen Keller

An unloaded gun is a pourly balanced club.

Lynn C. Thompson to me over dinner.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:30 pm

Fan of the .454 here. Not a fan of the idea of a .30/06 mounted bladerunner style.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:06 pm

The only thing that gun would excel at is being awesome. Pretty pointless, but pretty awesome.

Buddychrist

Revolvers

Post by Buddychrist » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:12 am

Caenus wrote:There has to be something already in existence that's less exotic than that. .454 casull is not big enough? What do they have? Elephants?
Lions, tigers, cheetah's, panthers and cougars, among many other large cats.

It was a simple question guys. Does anyone make a revolver with a bottom cylinder that fires a rifle round? I haven't been able to find one.

xLionx

Post by xLionx » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:13 am

A Lamat is probably as close as you will find outside a custom shop

Buddychrist

Revolvers

Post by Buddychrist » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:17 am

xLionx wrote:A Lamat is probably as close as you will find outside a custom shop
Thank you!

The reason I am interested in it is because a .454 Casull doesn't offer as much penetration as a larger rifle round. Looking to use the 454 as primary takedown and having a rifle round as last ditch effort to penetrate the skull and hopefully kill the animal.

Also this will have a Surefire light/laser combo with a strobe to attempt to disorient the big cat since they have very sensitive eyes and it should give me more time.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:51 am

Please read this before even thinking a pistol will protect you in ANY caliber.

Other than a rare lucky head shot, anything coming out of a pistol is useless.

http://www.americanhandgunner.com/lions ... -for-real/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One tiger took a tranq shot, 4 .308 rounds and almost 40 .223 rounds before it was stopped.

If one of those big cats gets the drop on you just pray, if you get the drop on it just walk away quickly and quietly.

Buddychrist

Revolvers

Post by Buddychrist » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:20 am

The reason I am looking for a handgun is because of my spinal injury I can't carry a rifle around at all times.

I am looking into a Beowulf .50 and possibly a S&W 500 mag and depending on how well the .50 Beowulf handles testing I might have a gunsmith convert a spare cylinder for the 500 mag to accept the .50 Beowulf round.

But I am always open to different rounds in hopes to find the perfect lightweight pistol to feel safe against my neighbor and her wild man killing machines.

Also I have seen the medical records for her cats which she was reluctant to give to me but her husband allowed me to skim through. At least I know their weaknesses and each Cat other than the tigers are very distinguishable and I have ran it through my head many many times so I know what to go for.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:29 am

Buddychrist wrote:The reason I am looking for a handgun is because of my spinal injury I can't carry a rifle around at all times.

I am looking into a Beowulf .50 and possibly a S&W 500 mag and depending on how well the .50 Beowulf handles testing I might have a gunsmith convert a spare cylinder for the 500 mag to accept the .50 Beowulf round.

But I am always open to different rounds in hopes to find the perfect lightweight pistol to feel safe against my neighbor and her wild man killing machines.

Also I have seen the medical records for her cats which she was reluctant to give to me but her husband allowed me to skim through. At least I know their weaknesses and each Cat other than the tigers are very distinguishable and I have ran it through my head many many times so I know what to go for.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Buddychrist

Revolvers

Post by Buddychrist » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:37 am

AKFTW wrote:
Buddychrist wrote:The reason I am looking for a handgun is because of my spinal injury I can't carry a rifle around at all times.

Real funny pal. What's that supposed to mean?

Spd164

Revolvers

Post by Spd164 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:42 am

If you are so concerned about living next to the zoo...maybe you oughta move? This is at least the second thread I've seen OP in asking for solutions to his "big cats as neighbors/bad back/need for a weird super powered gun" problem. I'm just saying, might be time to consider relocating if its that big an issue to you.

Izaya

Post by Izaya » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:13 am

Buddychrist wrote:
AKFTW wrote:

Real funny pal. What's that supposed to mean?
It's supposed to mean stop freaking out and being an annoying neighbor, enjoy the big cats, a sight most people don't get to see all the time

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:49 am

Spd164 wrote:If you are so concerned about living next to the zoo...maybe you oughta move? This is at least the second thread I've seen OP in asking for solutions to his "big cats as neighbors/bad back/need for a weird super powered gun" problem. I'm just saying, might be time to consider relocating if its that big an issue to you.
Good advice. Here is another thought...go over an volunteer to help them. That way you can get more familiar with the individual cats and you may just get over your fear of them.

They are obviously dangerous wild animals and should be treated with respect. However, I think you are better served by going inside and getting a rifle if one escapes than by trusting your luck to a handgun...any handgun. There is a reason most hunters of dangerous game hunt with rifles along with a backup shooter to keep the shooter covered.

BTW I would love have such a neighbor. Big cats are magnificent creatures to observe.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:04 pm

.308 in a handgun would be pointless. It's a rifle round, and by design it needs those 14-20" of barrel to achieve its proper velocity and power. I would venture a guess that a designed handcannon round like the .454 would be more effective than a .308 out of that short barrel.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:07 pm

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418334" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.c ... griff.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:10 pm

raptor wrote:
BTW I would love have such a neighbor. Big cats are magnificent creatures to observe.

They are great animals but they look a bit pathetic in small cages. Which we have quite a few of around here in Ohio.

Spd164

Revolvers

Post by Spd164 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:43 pm

raptor wrote:
Spd164 wrote:If you are so concerned about living next to the zoo...maybe you oughta move? This is at least the second thread I've seen OP in asking for solutions to his "big cats as neighbors/bad back/need for a weird super powered gun" problem. I'm just saying, might be time to consider relocating if its that big an issue to you.
Good advice. Here is another thought...go over an volunteer to help them. That way you can get more familiar with the individual cats and you may just get over your fear of them.

*snip*

That's good advice too. Advice which I overlooked based on OP's attitude. And I totally agree with the last part; I love big cats, and I'd love the opportunity to get closer to them and learn more about them.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:05 pm

I'm going to suggest that you stop looking for wildcat guns/ammo to deal with this.

I carry a G34 in .40, and 16rds of .40 will likely dissuade any beastie from snacking on me, or at least allow me to get to my AKM(762.39) which has 30rds of sternly-worded FUCK OFF that can handle things better.

Screw custom guns and crazy bullets, off-the-shelf answers can handle it if you can handle it.

Also, chill out. Hang out/help out over at the wild beastie area, get to know your enemy and feel comfortable with them.

In the short run, it will help you be less afraid of them. In the long run, it will help you destroy them more calmly and efficiently, if you must. Also, you get to hang out with neat beasties and impress your friends.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Return to “Handguns”