First Handgun recommendations

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DEEPfrom1

Post by DEEPfrom1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Hey all,

Just applying for my pistol permit now (not full carry yet) Should have my restricted carry back in about 3 months (takes a while to apply etc). I have a few ideas and a few months to decide what to get, I do know that it will be in 9mm form. I have only shot a G26

So far I am leaning towards the S&W Shield 9mm.

Others I am considering:
-Glock 26 ( Great capacity, but the grip is a little thick for my like)
-kel-tec pf9 ( fits my budget best, I am not aficionado of guns or will I probably even know the difference)
-XD sub9
-Kahr cm9
-luger lc9 (not really a fan, looks and feels cheap) Have held this unit.

However I am open to all options! Keep in mind, I am new to this and working on a college kid budget.

* I won't be able to ccw for at least 1 year, it is a very long process here in upstate NY. When I am able to carry, I cannont on campus or my work, so I wont be carrying much at all lo,.

Thanks!

-Merk

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: First Handgun recommendations

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:12 pm

DEEPfrom1 wrote: * I won't be able to ccw for at least 1 year, it is a very long process here in upstate NY. When I am able to carry, I cannont on campus or my work, so I wont be carrying much at all lo,.
-Merk
Help us understand why you're so interested in tiny, subcompact semi-autos if the reality is you won't be carrying much at all. They certainly won't be much fun to shoot in comparison to a full size or even a compact frame 9 mm.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:01 pm

Tiny pistols, especially in 9mm, are a compromise. You are trading accuracy, capacity, controllability, and often durability for a small package you can fit in a suit jacket pocket or some other tiny space. If you aren't going to be carrying often, why buy a gun that sucks to shoot and has a tiny mag? Just get a Glock 19 and learn to love it- you will be happier in the end.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

DEEPfrom1

Post by DEEPfrom1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:08 pm

I am looking at the subcompacts as I will only be owning the one for awhile and I would like to carry once I receive the CCW license. Also to make more sense of it, by the time I have my Concealed carry permit, I will have graduated and most likely have a new career. Therefore the timing to start carrying regularly will workout. I want to be proficient with the weapon once the CC is permitted.

Thanks!

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:16 pm

DEEPfrom1 wrote:I am looking at the subcompacts as I will only be owning the one for awhile and I would like to carry once I receive the CCW license. Also to make more sense of it, by the time I have my Concealed carry permit, I will have graduated and most likely have a new career. Therefore the timing to start carrying regularly will workout. I want to be proficient with the weapon once the CC is permitted.

Thanks!
A tip about carrying, especially concealed, that took me more than a year to figure out... The holster and belt make ALL the difference. For the longest time, I could not figure out why I just could not conceal my G19. But when I first got my CCW, I carried my dad's full size M&P .40 until I got the G19. That concealed A LOT easier. Then it hit me like a sack of bricks. The holster. I used a $15 condor-or-some-airsoft-shit-holster for the M&P (since I was giving it back as soon as I got my own pistol). And I was using a Fobus for my Glock. Yeah, if you're looking for concealment, Fobus = suck. Bought a Bianchi a couple weeks ago, MUCH MUCH easier to conceal. And easier to draw, etc.

tl;dr: with the right holster, I love my G19 for concealed carry. Well, I love it for pretty much everything.

DEEPfrom1

Post by DEEPfrom1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Good response here.

I am leaning towards the Springfield xd-sub 3" a little compromise

Anyone use this particular machine?

foghern

Post by foghern » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:46 pm

I daily carry the S.A. XD 9 sub compact. I carry IWB at about 3:30 to 4:00 position and it's not too bad. I also use the N82 holster and it's pretty comfy. If you got any questions about it feel free to message me. And I don't want to sound like a dick, but yeah, smaller barrels = less accuracy, but if it was designed to be accurate at long ranges it would be called a rifle and not a pistol. In a defensive handgun as long as you can put your shots in about a 2"X2" square at a reasonable distance then that's all the accuracy you need to worry about.

While you are considering what gun to buy, you might want to go to a range and rent a few different guns so you can get a feel for how they shoot before you commit to one and then hate it.

mortblanc
Favorite Zombie Movies: All 3 of the Omega Man
Book of Eli
does Quest for Fire count?

Post by mortblanc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:02 am

It sounds to me as if you are timing things wrong!

There are several full sized pistols that will meet your "Not able to carry now" needs better than a sub compact and you can probably get one cheaper off the police turn in or used gun market. I hold the opinion that a general purpose pistol used for training, woods bumming and emergency carry with possible SHTF capabilities should be full sized and high mag capacity.

In turn, when you graduate and "get a job" is when to make the jump to adding a subcompact. It should not be an either/or choice, with added income it should be both.

I personally carry a P3at as edc but prefer full sized pistols for any other purpose except pocket carry.

I am fortunate to live in a "shall issue" state with open carry law. No permit restrictions and no carry restrictions, no vehicle restrictions. Still, I prefer a micro-pistol as EDC simply for comfort.

For general purpose use I have full sized pistols and I can always stick one in my belt and slip on a jacket if the need arises.
The nice thing about being over the hill is you get to coast the rest of the way.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead"

Post by Tobias05 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:41 pm

DEEPfrom1 wrote:Good response here.

I am leaning towards the Springfield xd-sub 3" a little compromise

Anyone use this particular machine?
I shot one of the regular sized xd in 9mm. kicks more than my beretta m9 (which i conceal carry everyday), but I enjoyed shooting it.

I think something with the size and capabilities that are similiar to a glock 19 would be a perfect compromise for a first gun.

iron_angel

Post by iron_angel » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:53 pm

I would also advocate a compact or full-size vice a subcompact. Unless you're a very small-framed person, even something rather large like a Sig P226, Beretta 92 or Glock 17 won't be overly hard to conceal, and something smaller like the Glock 19, CZ 75 Compact or XD Compact is even easier, while being much easier to shoot. As has been mentioned, the best use for the subcompact frames is pocket carry or as a backup.

foghern

Post by foghern » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Any of the handguns mentioned are far from pocket pistols. The OP has already said he wants a sub compact, why is everyone pointing him towards the opposite end of the spectrum instead of helping with his decision.

Ultimately it's your decision what size gun you want to carry and what will be comfortable for you to carry. If you buy a full sized handgun and it's not comfortable to to carry, then you won't carry it and then it won't do you any good. Just some food for thought.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:16 pm

foghern wrote:Any of the handguns mentioned are far from pocket pistols. The OP has already said he wants a sub compact, why is everyone pointing him towards the opposite end of the spectrum instead of helping with his decision.
Because most of us have been around enough to see what this young buck is missing.

Could you get a subcompact? Sure, but why?

Most subcompacts have a bit less reliability than their compact and full-sized mates.

Most subcompacts are harder to shoot well than their compact and full-sized mates.

Overall, a G19/17/34 is just going to be a better gun for a beginner, while a G26 is a good size to back up a G19/17/34.

Could you buy a Not-A-Glock? Sure, but why?

Glock has a lot of years-in-service that prove it out as a reliable sidearm. Others mostly jumped on the Glock-train to play catch-up when they saw Glock had a large portion of the LE market, and added questionable features to try to stand apart from Glock. Glocks are simply top-tier defensive pistols, and their prices tend to be competitive with the other offerings. Buy once, cry once.

And FYI: Even a G34/35 longslide is concealable in a good holster. G19 is easy.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:31 pm

I put everything I could say about picking your first defensive handgun in this thread. It may help.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 08&t=60104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

EmbraceTheHate
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:01 pm

Get a full size pistol g17 or sig sauer 2022 9mm both awesome!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Zombie_Eater666
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, The Crazies, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Zombie_Eater666 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:01 pm

I am super sold on the S&W M&P40. I held one at my LGC Blythe's. In love instantly. I had a long conversation with the guy as I was filling out the paperwork for the Nugget I purchased that day. He said Glocks and XD's they have a bunch of, and they don't sell well anymore. The M&P40's are flying off his shelves, they only had the one i held left in store.

Long story short go to your LGC and get your hands on an M&P40, just try it.
Regular Guy wrote: It's common knowledge that the 10mm uses distilled radioactive black mamba venom as a propellent. 10mm is the only round known to have caused Chuck Norris to take cover.
donjulio wrote:I'm sure this microscope on my desk would serve as a weapon if it were necessary.
Hi floor...make me a sammich! -Gir

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Zombie_Eater666 wrote:I am super sold on the S&W M&P40. I held one at my LGC Blythe's. In love instantly. I had a long conversation with the guy as I was filling out the paperwork for the Nugget I purchased that day. He said Glocks and XD's they have a bunch of, and they don't sell well anymore. The M&P40's are flying off his shelves, they only had the one i held left in store.

Long story short go to your LGC and get your hands on an M&P40, as many different guns as possible just try it. and see what suits you and your needs best.
FIFY :wink:

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:07 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Zombie_Eater666 wrote:I am super sold on the S&W M&P40. I held one at my LGC Blythe's. In love instantly. I had a long conversation with the guy as I was filling out the paperwork for the Nugget I purchased that day. He said Glocks and XD's they have a bunch of, and they don't sell well anymore. The M&P40's are flying off his shelves, they only had the one i held left in store.

Long story short go to your LGC and get your hands on an M&P40, as many different guns as possible just try it. and see what suits you and your needs best. Then Buy a Glock 19
FIFY :wink:
ftftfy
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

Michael2007

Post by Michael2007 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:10 pm

The interim use of this firearm is I presume range shooting. The more enjoyable and accurate the firearm is the more your gonna shoot. I can't hit shit with my SW 442 so even though it will fit in a pocket it stays home or rides back up for my G19 because I hate shooting my 442 at the range. Do you wear skin tight clothing? If not with a good holster a G19 will disappear. I'm guessing the 26 you shot was a gen 3. Feel a gen 4 with no backstrap. You will be sold. If your ever called to run your gun in defense of self or others would you rather a less accurate sub compact or a reliable accurate compact.
Also do you plan on only carrying during daylight? If not maybe a weapon light migh be in the future for you. Can't mount one on the 26 dunno bout the xd.

Always bring the most gun to the fight you can.

Michael2007

Post by Michael2007 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:22 pm

Additionally why purchase two guns to be combat effective for equipment. Buy a compact save 500 bucks take a training class buy some sights buy ammo become combat effective as an individual. If you chose to carry a weapon you chose to be ready for a gunfight.

ETA:
I'll get off my soapbox now.

xLionx

Post by xLionx » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:36 pm

just got a keltec pf9 2 weeks ago, it's nice and slim, almost as slim as my droid phone, in general it isn't that much bigger than my phone.
i don't think the recoil is that bad either

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:56 pm

First handgun recommendation...

Not a subcompact...

Everyone thinks they need a sub-c to conceal... you don't unless you are a tiny person! If you are average build you can conceal a compact or fullsize relatively easily...

As mentioned earlier good belt and holster (SOE gear belt with cobra and a comptac infidel for my G22 at 3:30-4:00 position on the beltline, Im 5'8" and 160lbs, with a med shirt I can be imperceptable to all but the most astute gun person(notice I said gun person not even the layman))
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

professor challenger

Post by professor challenger » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:56 pm

I have the Beretta px4 subcompact. Its close in size to the g26 but holds 13+1. Its a fun gun to shoot at the range and also just works for pocket carry. If you're set on a small gun then don't get talked into larger. Nothing wrong with finding what's comfortable and fits best. For me, pocket carry is worry free since I don't need to worry about accidentally showing the gun if a shirt moves. Whatever gun you choose will need to fit your wardrobe. Smaller pistols are more easily concealed, bigger guns hold more rounds and are more controllable (all other things equal). Not really any wrong choices, just need to figure out what fits your needs. These days life is good and there are a lot of excellent options!

Jeb_66
Favorite Zombie Movies: Movie - Zombieland
TV - The Walking Dead
Game - Dead Space 1&2

Post by Jeb_66 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:04 pm

I've carried a full size Beretta Px4 daily for two years. I agree a good belt and holster and you can conceal anything you want. They make a subcompact Px4 as well. It's a little thicker than some but keeps a good round count. (14 in the 9mm).

A lot of people LOVE that Shield though. I've shot it and just didn't like the trigger. (But I'm feel the same about Glocks.). I'm a fan of DA/SA. But there are plenty of people who swear by the Shield being a terrific subcompact gun.

I'd also say rent a few and see what fits you. It is true that any gun on you is better than the one you left at home. If you simply won't carry a full size, there's no point in buying it (at this stage).
Jeb Clemons
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!!!!"
http://www.texasgunforum.com

Lodewijk

Post by Lodewijk » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:25 am

I agree with both the buy one gun and buy two guns arguments, there are enough good guns to support either.

Something you might also consider is something like a CZ P01, which strikes a nice balance between size and shootability. I have never liked subcompacts, personally. I think for a first gun you want something easy to shoot that points well for your hands, and in my experience very small guns tend to be difficult to get a consistent grip on and are not particularly smooth shooters. My preference is for bigger guns, though, so take that with salt.

IMO, the most important thing you can do for a first serious-use firearm is figure out what type of trigger you prefer, and then buy AFTER you have figured that out.

Return to “Handguns”