Agency issued handguns?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kopf-Jaeger

Re: Agency issued handguns?

Post by Kopf-Jaeger » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Here are a few from Delaware:
Delaware State Police-Sig 229 in .357 Sig (they were the first agency in the country to carry these.)
New Castle County Police-S&W M&P in 9mm
Wilmington Police-S&W M&P in .40
Delaware City Police-Glock 22 in .40
Selbyville Police-Glock 22 in .40
Ocean View Police-Glock 37 in .45 GAP
Newark Police-Sig 229 in .40
University Of Delaware Police-Sig 229 in .40
Middletown Police-S&W M&P in 9mm
There is a thin blue line that seperates society from chaos, that line is stained with the blood of our brothers, never dishonor that line.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:16 pm

The Glock 22 was suddenly found to be unreliable for the Milwaukee PD and they switched to the Smith M&P .

Coincidentally this happened shortly after the arrival of a new Chief whose previous job was in Springfield Mass. Home of Smith & Wesson .
:roll:
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Hoot Harrington

Post by Hoot Harrington » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:09 pm

Chicago
Be manufactured by Beretta, Glock, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, or Springfield Armory.
Be chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP.
Be Double-Action Only, Hammer or Striker-Fired.

SIG-Sauer "P-series" pistols are no longer approved for duty. However, officers who carried one previous to the change are "grandfathered in" and permitted to carry it

Also .38 and .357 revolvers are grandfathered in if issued before 1996

:words: :words: :words: :words: :words:

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:23 pm

I have seen US Army Special Forces with Glocks. I didn't ask them what caliber/model they were, but I ACE carries .40 cal Glocks at times.

Closer to home Daytona Beach PD issues the Glock 17 (with a tac light) for patrol officers and Glock 26 for plain clothes. Some reserve officers working during special events are still issued revolvers, though there are fewer of them around now. Volusia County Sherrif's Office and Volusia County Division of Corrections now both are issued Glock 22's. For the longest time VCDC made due with (very) old S&W revolvers (model unknown, literally no one I asked there knew) loaded with lead round ball .38 spl reloads (I can't remember precisely, but I seem to remember seeing several different brands in the armory) for duty.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

cityscout

Post by cityscout » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Aikibiker wrote:I have seen US Army Special Forces with Glocks. I didn't ask them what caliber/model they were
Glock 19

Ten Eight

Re: Re: Agency issued handguns?

Post by Ten Eight » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Aikibiker wrote:I have seen US Army Special Forces with Glocks. I didn't ask them what caliber/model they were, but I ACE carries .40 cal Glocks at times.

Closer to home Daytona Beach PD issues the Glock 17 (with a tac light) for patrol officers and Glock 26 for plain clothes. Some reserve officers working during special events are still issued revolvers, though there are fewer of them around now. Volusia County Sherrif's Office and Volusia County Division of Corrections now both are issued Glock 22's. For the longest time VCDC made due with (very) old S&W revolvers (model unknown, literally no one I asked there knew) loaded with lead round ball .38 spl reloads (I can't remember precisely, but I seem to remember seeing several different brands in the armory) for duty.
VCSO uses the 35.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Recon101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Degeneration, The Walking Dead, Dead, and 28 Days and Weeks later.

Agency issued handguns?

Post by Recon101 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:56 am

Aikibiker wrote:I have seen US Army Special Forces with Glocks. I didn't ask them what caliber/model they were, but I ACE carries .40 cal Glocks at times.
Is there some sort of source on this somewhere? Personally I've never seen it, while special forces are above the standard cut... I've seen Glocks claimed to be used by this or that unit while I've never personally seen it. With the addition of the Glock being completely outside of U.S. Militaries Sidearm requirements, this may be a swept under the rug spec ops thing...

I'm not calling you out, just a respectful inquiry since I've seen this on a thousand different forums claiming this unit or that unit has glocks with no source other then I've seen it, or no source at all.
"Typos brought to you by Auto Correct."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:06 am

Recon101 wrote:
Is there some sort of source on this somewhere? Personally I've never seen it, while special forces are above the standard cut... I've seen Glocks claimed to be used by this or that unit while I've never personally seen it. With the addition of the Glock being completely outside of U.S. Militaries Sidearm requirements, this may be a swept under the rug spec ops thing...

I'm not calling you out, just a respectful inquiry since I've seen this on a thousand different forums claiming this unit or that unit has glocks with no source other then I've seen it, or no source at all.
I've seen AF and Army with Glocks. I couldn't begin to tell you what all the crazy patches meant, and I didn't think to ask.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Recon101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Degeneration, The Walking Dead, Dead, and 28 Days and Weeks later.

Agency issued handguns?

Post by Recon101 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:20 am

Doc Torr wrote:
Recon101 wrote:

I've seen AF and Army with Glocks. I couldn't begin to tell you what all the crazy patches meant, and I didn't think to ask.
I've seen my far share of bizarre weapons but I assumed most to be Special Forces or Private Contractors. I've even seen some "Hushpuppies" floating around (I forget what model, it's a modified S&W Silenced and slide needs to be manually cycled.)

That's just kinda my point and was curious. A lot of these things have just been seen. I'm not questioning Veracity behind the poster's of these sightings. Just simply curious if there is anything out there on these items. It's tough when Special Forces have extensive armories and are shrouded in a degree of secrecy.
Last edited by Recon101 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brock Meatstone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by Brock Meatstone » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:42 am

Recon101 wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:
Recon101 wrote:

I've seen my far share of bizarre weapons but I assumed most to be Special Forces or Private Contractors. I've even seen some "Hushpuppies" floating around (I forget what model, it's a modified S&W that fires tranq darts instead of 9mm. Silenced and slide needs to be manually cycled.)

That's just kinda my point and was curious. A lot of these things have just been seen. I'm not questioning Veracity behind the poster's of these sightings. Just simply curious if there is anything out there on these items. It's tough when Special Forces have extensive armories and are shrouded in a degree of secrecy.
Dude, you're thinking of Metal Gear Solid; the actual "Hush Puppy" fires actual 9mm rounds that kill stuff.

Recon101

Agency issued handguns?

Post by Recon101 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:03 am

Did I? Whoops... I'll go back to my post and fix that. These things happen at 4am. Ah well, it was the Model 39 originally got its name cause it was intended to take out watch dogs and guards without causing alarm back in Vietnam. Couple of guns have had the same nickname over the years.

cityscout

Post by cityscout » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 am

Recon101 wrote:
Is there some sort of source on this somewhere?
Different rules. We have arms rooms with all sorts of strange stuff. We had a suppressed Sterling that our 18F used to like to take on missions. Most of our team carried Glock 19's. There were a bunch of other hand guns that would get used from time to time. The 18E carried a full auto pistol for a while. I can't remember what kind or even what country it was from. I know it wasn't the Glock 18. It was an open bolt. Strange gun.

Aikibiker

Re: Re: Agency issued handguns?

Post by Aikibiker » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:23 am

Ten Eight wrote:

VCSO uses the 35.
Really? I thought is was the 22. I am sure VCDC has 35's then since we only ever got used weapons from VCSO. The revolvers came from them and I remember a couple old S&W 3rd gen autos that we got after the Sherriff's switched to Glocks that were issued to the "special" team that only ever got called to help with wildfires so far as I know.
Recon101 wrote:
Just something I noticed at the DFAC of an SF base one day while I was waiting for my omelette. For the most part the team guys did not walk around in uniform or armed, but that morning they got back late from doing God's work and went directly to breakfast. That is when I noticed the Glocks. Honestly they seemed both really tired and keyed up at the same time that morning and not interested in talking (normally they were pretty friendly) so I left them alone to get their food. Never saw them walking around with sidearms again so I never thought to ask.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Recon101

Agency issued handguns?

Post by Recon101 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:58 pm

cityscout wrote:
Recon101 wrote:
Different rules. We have arms rooms with all sorts of strange stuff. We had a suppressed Sterling that our 18F used to like to take on missions. Most of our team carried Glock 19's. There were a bunch of other hand guns that would get used from time to time. The 18E carried a full auto pistol for a while. I can't remember what kind or even what country it was from. I know it wasn't the Glock 18. It was an open bolt. Strange gun.
I'm jealous! The child in me has had a special place in my heart for the sterling ever since I saw Star Wars lol! Like I said, I was just curious even though I've seen my fair share of bizarre weapons. Anyway de-hijacking the thread.

I've seen interwebs talk, so whether this holds water or not remains to be seen. But the new (as in if and when they ever re outfit the entire military like they've claimed new this and that then never done it.) U.S. Military Standard sidearm might be the FNP 9mm.

Paul J
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Romero movies. Others tend to pale in comparison.

Post by Paul J » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Glocks issued to US Mil?.........welcome to 2006. And yes I mean issued as in, "you WILL carry this gun"
My M4 kills bugs dead

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Paul J wrote:Glocks issued to US Mil?.........welcome to 2006. And yes I mean issued as in, "you WILL carry this gun"
Oh! Oh! Do we get to do this again!

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Paul J
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Romero movies. Others tend to pale in comparison.

Post by Paul J » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:33 pm

Do we.............. need to?
My M4 kills bugs dead

Gus K

Post by Gus K » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:21 pm

Certain US mil where running XD 45s....hmmm missed something

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Yea with VCSO thats what we used for the shooting qual part of the hiring process.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:34 am

Getting deep in here.....

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:53 am

USAF also special issues 1911 and G22. But in reality, if you're in a unit that can be issued other than M9, you can be issued just about anything.

SteelWolf

Post by SteelWolf » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:50 pm

Arizona

Tucson Police: Glock 22 .40
Pima County Sheriffs Department (And the Maricopa County SD): Glock 22 ISSUED, however, these boys have a HUGE authorized carry list... I have seen Glock 17,22,20,21, numerous 1911s, a few wheel guns, Sigs and S&Ws.
TEMS / Flight Paramedic. NRP, FP-C, TP-C.
OIF / OEF Combat Veteran
Owner / Chief Instructor of Archangel Dynamics, LLC. Come visit us for all of your Medical Preparedness needs!
Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

Beanhead

Post by Beanhead » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:19 am

Allegheny County Sheriffs Department, Glock 22/23 & 21/36
Allegheny County police, Sig p226
Pittsburgh Police, Glocks, I've seen various calibers.
PA State Police, Glock 37's (why?), they used to carry Beretta's.
Omnes ad unum
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Nothing says "GTFO of my country right now" like your buddy's head dissolving from a trigger pulled 600m away.

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:39 pm

Recon101 wrote:Pennsylvania State Police still carry the Beretta 96 to my knowledge. If not its probably glock now.

It is Glock now. PSP moved over the the G37 .45GAP a few years ago.

Most departments in my area are "bring your own gun, as long as it fits certain criteria".

Most guys at my department choose the G21, with a smattering of G17's, 22's, 23's, and Sig 229's thrown in for good measure. One guy here carries a Beretta 96D.

Pittsburgh PD issues G22's, G23's, and G27's (for undercover/plain clothes work).

Return to “Handguns”