Ruger mk iii 22/45 trouble

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

foghern

Post by foghern » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:13 pm

Today I purchased the above pistol pre-owned from a gunshop. Got it home and the internals were filthy so I decided to break it down for a much needed cleaning(didn't strip it all the way).

After cleaning I started reassembly. Everything went smoothly... until I started putting the main spring housing back in. It was being very hard to push back in, probably the first time the gun was taken apart. I've read that it has to be forced in for the first few times so I forced it back in.

My problem is this. Now the bolt will slide back but gets stuck, and it will not cock or fire. Wouldn't be a problem except the main spring housing will not come back out, tried prying with a screwdriver, pliers, nothing will work. I can fix the not cocking and firing if I can get the damn thing back apart. Any advice would be much appreciated. Not really wanting to go to a gunsmith to have them take it apart if I don't have to.

jt526

Re: Ruger mk iii 22/45 trouble

Post by jt526 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:50 pm

You've probably pinned the hammer strut into/against the frame and not on top of the mainspring housing. There is seriously no good way to describe how to do it. You need to kind of hold it upside down, do a flip motion to send it back on top of the mainspring housing when you are reassembling. I.ve had mkii and mkiii for about 20 years, and i still suck at it

This will probably fix your proble: you need to get the hammer to drop. Get the bolt forward, insert an empty magazine, flip gun over and point the gun at about 60 degreees down and pull the trigger, remember EMPTY MAGaZINe!!!!!!! When the hammer drops you may not hear it, it isnt under spring tension, but you shold be able to remove the mainspring housing then. Since it isnt under tension, you'd think it wasnt cocked, but it is.

Hope the helps, mkiii has an magazine lock that you cant drop the hammer without a magazine, hammer back = no dissaembly

Dont shoot yourself, ymmv may vary, consult a congressman, etc. the advice above may be worth about what it cost you.

a decent wxample of assembly
http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck and godspeed
Last edited by jt526 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:53 pm

Odds are you may need to post this on a Ruger MK specific board. We may have a resident expert here, but those damn things come apart and go back together like some sort of stupid clockwork puzzle.

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:55 pm

jt526 wrote:You've probably pinned the hammer strut into/against the frame and not on top of the mainspring housing. There is seriously no good way to describe how to do it. You need to kind of hold it upside down, do a flip motion to send it back on top of the mainspring housing when you are reassembling. I.ve had mkii and mkiii for about 20 years, and i still suck at it

This will probably fix your proble: you need to get the hammer to drop. Get the bolt forward, insert an empty magazine, flip gun over and point the gun at about 60 degreees down and pull the trigger, remember EMPTY MAGaZINe!!!!!!! When the hammer drops you may not hear it, it isnt under spring tension, but you shold be able to remove the mainspring housing then.

Hope the helps, mkiii has an magazine lock that you cant drop the hammer without a magazine, hammer back = no dissaembly

Dont shoot yourself, ymmv may vary, consult a congressman, etc. the advice above may be worth about what it cost you.

a decent wxample of assembly
http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck and godspeed

While you are in there you may want to disable that.........

jt526

Post by jt526 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:59 pm

I just verfied the above on one of mine that i havent removed the magazine lock on, solved that exact malfunction. Youll probably have to hold the trigger down flip upside down, point down, and whack the muzzle with your hand a couple of times to get the hammer to drop. Worked for me fine

foghern

Post by foghern » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:34 am

I've been checking ruger mk forums and it seems like its just more time consuming and tedious to get it unstuck. Probably won't hurt to learn some kind of black magic to use on it too. Thanks for the quick replies, I purchased it as the store/range was closing so I'm really hoping I can get it back operational so I can shoot tomorrow. And I'm positive the mag is empty throughout all of this, I haven't even opened the box of ammo yet :D

Einher

Post by Einher » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:54 am

Step 1) Hold the trigger down, flip the muzzle so it is pointing vertically straight up while holding the bolt assembly to prevent it from falling out;
Step 2) Take a small screwdriver, welding rod, chopstick or popsickle stick and jiggle the rear of the hammer side to side and back and forth until it moves into it's most forward position resting against the firing pin.
Step 3) Without changing the orientation of the muzzle (straight up), again attempt reassembly of the rear strap mainspring.

All Ruger Mk pistols have this same stumbling block, this has been a very common problem.

FYI - You should NOT have to force it, if you've aligned the hammer strut correctly with the spring in the backstrap you should feel tension but it should pop into place.

The trick is to get the hammer strut to hang down like a tonsil and align that tonsil with the backstrap mainspring.

I've done it dozens of times on my MkI and it still takes me a few minutes because of that hammer strut to backstrap connection.
Trying to force it into place will just make it worse.
полиция wrote:Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

foghern

Post by foghern » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Thanks guys for the advice, 2 mins after I started messing with the gun I was able to take the mainspring back out and put it back in right, looks like I will be going to the range today afterall! I'll probably post some pics in a new thread tonight.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:46 pm

When I ran our range, I would clean a lot of folks guns on the side - mostly the one box a year deer hunters. Ruger 22's brought a nice premium. I had more than a few brought out to the range in baskets/boxes, seems like those and mossberg shotguns are two of the worst offenders in the 'it came apart sooo easy' category.

engineer1371

Post by engineer1371 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:20 pm

This video will save you hours of trouble... It helped me with the same problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5eylgi ... plpp_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MVegas
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MVegas » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:26 pm

My MK III 22/45 has been great- it's a tack-driver. But man.....assembly/dis-assembly really makes ya appreciate modern auto-loading handgun design, don't it?
Winter is Coming

Dutch253
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (does this count?), The Walking Dead(?)

Post by Dutch253 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:46 pm

Man oh man I had so much trouble with mine! I had to take it back to where I got it to have the gunsmith reassemble it!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
"But Lord, during the hardest trials of my life, why was there only one set of footprints?"
"Because," said the Lord, "Sandpeople always ride single-file, to hide their numbers."

Einher

Post by Einher » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:22 am

engineer1371 wrote:This video will save you hours of trouble... It helped me with the same problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5eylgi ... plpp_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Uh, is it really necessary to drop the hammer while it is still under tension from the hammer spring in the backstap to disassemble the MKII&III?
AFAIK it is not necessary to pull the trigger before disassembling the backstrap on the MKI at least.

Also, dry-firing rimfire =/= a good maintenance habit.

He dryfires @ 0:25 seconds

EDIT: Everything else seems like it's in the right order though. good instructional overall.
полиция wrote:Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:09 am

Einher wrote: FYI - You should NOT have to force it, if you've aligned the hammer strut correctly with the spring in the backstrap you should feel tension but it should pop into place.

I have a MKIII 22/45 that I got late last year (the one with the threaded barrel) and I still have to tap the mainspring housing in and out with a mallet and a brass drift. It's MUCH more difficult than my old stainless MKIII ever was. I think the parkerization on the gun really closes up the clearances and makes it a tighter fit.

That said, the above posters have the right idea. You pinned the little hammer strut under the frame pin, in between the frame pin and the magazine well, instead of getting it hanging over the pin. where it can engage the mainspring.

It sucks. Hard.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Zack in CA
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland Night of the living dead. Dawn of the dead. Looking forward to World war Z. I follow the Walking Dead Comic and show

Post by Zack in CA » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:11 pm

I tore my Mark III apart yesterday and it was about an hour and a half ordeal. I watched YouTube videos and checked pictures out on the web and finally got it all put back together. Ruger should put a warning label on the box about what a PITA it is to field strip and clean the mark series of pistol. Took it to the range today and ran 300 rounds through it and took back all those nasty names I called it yesterday.
I'm not saying its the start of the zombie apocalypse, but when a naked dude chews off the face of another dude and doesn't react to being shot, we should consider it.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:44 am

http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just for a quick cleaning this kit seems to make things MUCH better.

And to top it off they sell a bushing to take up the space of the mag disconnect on the MK-III. And also improves the trigger pull.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:07 am

I give you the Ruger Hokey-Pokey:

You put the magazine in!
you take the magazine out!
You turn it upside-down and then you shake it all about.
You say some motherfuckers then you throw the pistol down
THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT!
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

williaty

Post by williaty » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:12 am

crypto wrote:I give you the Ruger Hokey-Pokey:

You put the magazine in!
Oh my god, that's awesome!

Chirpy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dead Snow

Post by Chirpy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:11 am

crypto wrote:I give you the Ruger Hokey-Pokey:

You put the magazine in!
Winning!
"And I prep not because I'm scared of someone coming to take from me, but rather because I fear not being able to render help to those who have helped me. "

phractal - 4/2/13

foghern

Post by foghern » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:34 pm

That's basically the way it was that night too!

Return to “Handguns”