Anyone have a full size M&P in .40 or .45?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:06 pm

I love my M&P 9mm so maybe it's time to get it some company.

I had a Glock 23 and I hated shooting it, way to snappy. My Sig P226 in .40 is fun to shoot. So I am wondering if the M&P in .40 is snappy like a Glock 23? Also the same thing about for a .45 M&P.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Aikibiker

Re: Anyone have a full size M&P in .40 or .45?

Post by Aikibiker » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:14 pm

.40S&W is typically a a snappy round. I have a M&P .40 full size and while the muzzle flip is noticeable I have no trouble controlling it.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Phoenix David » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Well as always I'll rent one before buying, figured I check and see for others experiences

elkhills
Favorite Zombie Movies: An Inconvenient Truth

Post by elkhills » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:25 pm

Phoenix David wrote:Anyone have a full size M&P in (...) .45?
I will in 9 more days :wink:

Now I'm on the hunt for ammo :shock:

rhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, The Evil Dead, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by rhi » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:26 pm

I have an M&P .45 and - subjectively of course - the recoil feels about the same as shooting 9mm from a 92FS/M9. Very little muzzle flip when shooting 230gr ball practice ammo; a bit more with +P TAP but still way less than my G23 in .40 with 155gr TAP. I do have monster large hands, so even the G23 doesn't really bother me.

I'm actually thinking of picking up another M&P in 9mm at some point.
Forget this dead man's town, I'll take you home.

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:12 am

So I am wondering if the M&P in .40 is snappy like a Glock 23? Also the same thing about for a .45 M&P.
It does to me. I perceive more felt recoil from the MnP than from the Glock, and the fo'ty is a high pressure round with a steep recoil impulse curve. It's snappy to one degree or another in everything. The .45 feels about the same in sum, but the impulse is different; the curve is much less steep so it's more of a shove than a snappy flip.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jare-3
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
All Resident Evils

Post by jare-3 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:50 pm

I have the 9 and 45. The 45 is 4.5 inch barrel and I can't feel too much difference between it and the 9 other than that the 9 recoils in a slightly upward motion (less when I'm running my TLR-1) and the 45 recoils in a rearward push. I love em both, won't trade em or sell em.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit!

No eating/drinking/snorting the Bath Salts! - jonm61 (WaltherForums)

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:56 pm

The frame for the .40 is the same as the 9.

If you can find a deal on just the upper-half, you can use your M&P9 frame, and get some 40 mags. I was about to do a deal on that, and a 357Sig barrel, but pulled out for unrelated reasons.

You could always get the 40, and if you hate it, get a 9mm upper, and have a backup gun to the primary.

Jays671

Post by Jays671 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:17 am

I have a 4.5 inch M&P 40 . I like it only thing I had to get used to was the light weight I am used to older guns like my 1911 and my s&w 1006 and 956. after a day of shooting and 500 rounds my hand hurt but I did a lot of blasting that day lol.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:54 pm

If you like shooting an M&P 9mm better than a Glock I'm going to guess you'll like shooting their 45 or 40 more as well. I find the M&P 45 fits my hand way better than a Glock 20.

I'm a Glock fan, I put more rounds through them than any other centerfire pistol. I do like the fit of the M&P better, but how something fits one's hand is a very personal thing.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:14 am

Figured I'd stir the pot a bit :twisted: .

Not a .40 or .45, but I bought a 9mm full-size in early '08. I sold it in December '11 with roughly 22k rounds through it. Zero problems, and zero malfunctions.

Do not hesitate to buy one.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

jare-3
Diary of the Dead
All Resident Evils

Post by jare-3 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:38 pm

^^^WIN^^^
I love the M&P 45 I bought for my fiance. So much so that I'll be dumping some "dead weight" on Monday for another one. Then we can have his and hers Zombpocolypse guns.:-D

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Phoenix David » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:16 pm

I'll probably go and rent each this weekend and see how they feel, kind of leaning to the .45 but want to feel them up first

rugman4555

Post by rugman4555 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:44 pm

I have a 9mm compact and a fullsize .357 sig. I bought a Storm Lake .40 barrel and it's almost more fun than a barrel of monkeys. .357 certainly does bark as does the .40. I love .45 acp and my 1911 so next on the agenda is a M&P .45. Recoil should be negligible compared to the sharp .40 and .357 sig. Definitely not a problem though.

wguy00

Post by wguy00 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:32 pm

I have an M&P 9 and my g/f has a .40. Her 40 is what made me want an M&P. I agree that .40 can be snappy, but I noticed it less in her M&P than in other .40s. She wants a 9mm barrel for cheaper target practice and then convert back to .40 for HD. As for .45, I will not own a gun chambered for .45 until I get a 1911. No reason other than personal preference; I want my first .45 to be a 1911. After that, all bets are off.
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
-Douglas Adams

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu May 10, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm pretty certain I'll be buying an M&P 9 instead of a Glock. I'm not sure if I should go with the full size or compact. I'd like for it to be something I can conceal with a proper holster but also train with.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Phoenix David » Thu May 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Well I shot the .45 and the recoil was well within expectations, now if somebody just had them in stock. :cry:

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:07 pm

I had my dad's M&P .40 to take my CCW class. I also carried it for a while. I GLADLY gave it back when I bought my G19.

Don't get me wrong. It's a solid pistol, but there were a lot things that annoyed the shit outta me. Mostly, I think it was the round. Even though I'd put a couple thousand rounds through it, I never got comfortable shooting it. It always felt a bit awkward, and the snappyiness of the round amplified that. I felt like I had to re-adjust my hands and sight picture after just about every shot.

I don't have anything against the M&P or the .40, but they do not make a good combo for me. My G19 works much better for me.

ETA: Oh hell. I think I'm becoming a Glock fanboi.

rhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, The Evil Dead, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by rhi » Thu May 10, 2012 6:36 pm

Phoenix David wrote:Well I shot the .45 and the recoil was well within expectations
Pretty mild, no?
kbilly84 wrote:I felt like I had to re-adjust my hands and sight picture after just about every shot.
Do you and your dad have similarly-sized hands? I've found that swapping the backstrap makes a noticeable difference in the fit. He may have installed the one that worked for him, but not necessarily the best choice for you.
Forget this dead man's town, I'll take you home.

jare-3
Diary of the Dead
All Resident Evils

Post by jare-3 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:46 pm

I added the 4" .45 to the arsenal last week. Monday was range day. Other than getting it really really dirty, it was as boringly accurate as the 4.5" .45. I just like the way the 4.5" pistol balances better. I might as well wait for the tooth fairy if I think I'm getting the 4.5" gun back from the lady though!

Edit: Interestingly enough, it fits the Armordillo Concealment Kydex holster I have for the M&P 9. So it has become my EDC with a 14 round mag for a reload.

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:44 am

rhi wrote:
kbilly84 wrote:I felt like I had to re-adjust my hands and sight picture after just about every shot.
Do you and your dad have similarly-sized hands? I've found that swapping the backstrap makes a noticeable difference in the fit. He may have installed the one that worked for him, but not necessarily the best choice for you.
Similarly-sized hands. And I tried all three backstraps. Just never got fun to shoot. I ultimately stopped carrying it for that fact. If I didn't feel comfortable shooting at a range under controlled conditions, how the hell could I expect to shoot it under duress?

Again, YMMV. It's been a while, but I vaguely remember liking the trigger. Some day I want to try it in 9mm.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Phoenix David » Mon May 21, 2012 11:46 pm

Well I did mange to find one local and so far I am quite pleased with it.

As an added bonus the holsters and I have for my M&P 9mm also fit the .45

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue May 22, 2012 10:55 am

UndeadInfidel wrote:I'm pretty certain I'll be buying an M&P 9 instead of a Glock. I'm not sure if I should go with the full size or compact. I'd like for it to be something I can conceal with a proper holster but also train with.
If you're just nutty like me, you could just get the full size, and cut the grip down to compact-mag size. I carry a full size slide that way, but conceal it as easily as a compact because of the grip shortening. I carry with a compact mag in the gun, and carry full size spare mags.

smokestack
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL

Post by smokestack » Tue May 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Phoenix David wrote:Anyone have a full size M&P in .40 or .45?

I love my M&P 9mm so maybe it's time to get it some company.

I had a Glock 23 and I hated shooting it, way to snappy. My Sig P226 in .40 is fun to shoot. So I am wondering if the M&P in .40 is snappy like a Glock 23? Also the same thing about for a .45 M&P.
SNAPPY? come on guys, really? SNAPPY? you guys are hard core zombie killers.....no handgun round should be too snappy. maybe you should join the garden club...but watchout for the water hose ,too much pressure could be snappy..im more or less...well maybe less...well anyway im kidding guys. but dont say snappy when it comes to shooting, save for when your bragging about your dancing shoes :lol:
YOUR GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT....

Return to “Handguns”