The new smith & wesson M&P Shield

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

cssims

Re: The new smith & wesson M&P Shield

Post by cssims » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:37 pm

I was able to check one out today and until I am able to check out an XDS, this may be the concealed pistol I've been wanting. I had looked at the Keltec & Ruger offerings and hated the trigger. The shield trigger is a whole lot better.
Edit: and it fit my big paws well.

ShaneP

Post by ShaneP » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:44 pm

10 yards off hand Winchester white box grouping slow rate of fire...Not bad for first outing...one flyer but still a lung shot...This gun is accurate as I'm not the best pistol shot in the world i'm sure it can do better but i was impressed with it in my hands...Lot less felt recoil over the LC-9...cycled approx. 200 rounds today flawlessly
I was a highway man along the coach roads i did ride, with sword and pistol by my side many of young men lost there marbles to my trade, and many a soldiers lost there blood upon my blade. The bastards hung me in the spring of 25 but im still alive. ~~ The highwaymen ~~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1bHaUk1CM

ShipWreck

Post by ShipWreck » Wed May 02, 2012 1:35 pm

I rented one Sat and was hooked. Tracked one down Monday. I was planning to get a Kahr P9 (which I rented first), but the Shield is a much softer shooter. I have a Kahr PM9 already, and I think it'll be up for sale next week after my first range trip.

-
Visit: http://texasgunforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Wed May 02, 2012 2:24 pm

So, I own the full size M&P 9, and I am REALLY on the bandwagon with this one. I have had the opportunity to fiddle with 2 of them, but cannot buy one (I live in MA, and someone has to "approve" this firearm before us peons can own one). I currently have an Apex trigger in my full size. I went onto Apex's website, and their drop in kit will work in this-which is awesome. Becuase, one of the "approved" points in this state is a 10 lb trigger pull. So, when I get this, I am getting a trigger kit and a Crossbreed for this! I loved the fit of it in my hand. I had a 9c before, and I could never comfortably shoot it-it just never felt right in my hand. This just fits....nice. Like, naturally. I need to find someone who already has one, to try it out-but, I foresee me getting one of these in the future :). Carrying a full size pistol is nice, but its a bitch to conceal.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

ShaneP

Post by ShaneP » Wed May 02, 2012 10:57 pm

That really sucks you have to have a 10lb trigger pull...Damn anti gunners. The trigger on here is the best i have every shot on such a small gun or any M&P for that matter even better than Pro series
I was a highway man along the coach roads i did ride, with sword and pistol by my side many of young men lost there marbles to my trade, and many a soldiers lost there blood upon my blade. The bastards hung me in the spring of 25 but im still alive. ~~ The highwaymen ~~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1bHaUk1CM

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Thu May 03, 2012 11:36 am

Oh, I will be replacing it with an Apex trigger ASAP. Rumors of a non-safety switch, true ambi mag release are also starting to spread....waiting may, for once, be worth it :)
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu May 03, 2012 12:49 pm

I've been considering the switch to 9mm lately, and have been eyeballing one of these for a carry. Just waiting for them to settle in price as I'm not in an absolute rush.

ShaneP

Post by ShaneP » Thu May 03, 2012 8:49 pm

They should have put a 1913 rail on cause the TLR-3 would fit Maybe Crimson trace will make a light guard

Edit: since no one else posted...I was just able to locate night sights for the shield..they are available through XS sights..I have never used XS sights but with a 3in barrel i really cant see shooting past 15 yards though i may try at next range visit...

ShaneP

Post by ShaneP » Sun May 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Concealment holster came yesterday..This one is made by Cleveland Holsters https://clevelandsholsters.com/ I had one for my old Kel-tec P11 and carried it there everyday was very comfortable..Image

ppfd
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead! What else!

Post by ppfd » Tue May 08, 2012 9:36 pm

Picked one up last Thursday.
Think I may have the only one in WV! :mrgreen: I called a bunch of shops and no one had a Shield or an ETA on one.
Shop up the road from me had one, and only one, said he received it Wednesday.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or its the design. I cannot get the slide to lock back without a magazine inserted.
Is this correct?
Every other auto I've had will lock back sans mag.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:30 am

ppfd wrote:Picked one up last Thursday.
Think I may have the only one in WV! :mrgreen: I called a bunch of shops and no one had a Shield or an ETA on one.
Shop up the road from me had one, and only one, said he received it Wednesday.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or its the design. I cannot get the slide to lock back without a magazine inserted.
Is this correct?
Every other auto I've had will lock back sans mag.
Are you pushing up on the slide release when the slide is all the way to the rear?That seems strange.

ppfd
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead! What else!

Post by ppfd » Wed May 09, 2012 4:02 pm

LoL, I'm a limp wristed idiot :lol:

I wasn't pulling the slide back far enough. Hell, after I figured that out, I broke the gun down as well.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:25 am

Glad you figured it out :) The first time I tried to disassemble my Glock I fucked up royally and somehow got the takedown pin to fall out and then when I put it back in I did it wrong so every time I would dry fire the gun the slide would literally just fall off the frame to the front.

I thought I'd broken it and was about to call Glock when I thought better of it and consulted youtube.Obviously I got it right the second time but it scared the shit out of me.I thought "Man, leave it up to my stupid ass to break a NIB Glock, just my luck."

AS556

Post by AS556 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:34 am

ShaneP wrote:Image
They should have put a 1913 rail on cause the TLR-3 would fit Maybe Crimson trace will make a light guard

Edit: since no one else posted...I was just able to locate night sights for the shield..they are available through XS sights..I have never used XS sights but with a 3in barrel i really cant see shooting past 15 yards though i may try at next range visit...

Hickok45 hit 230 yards with a 3.5 inch barreled baby Glock.That obviously isnt typical but I'm sure you could hit much much further than 15 yards with an M&P Shield with some practice.

wolverine_173

Post by wolverine_173 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:46 pm

I got one for my wife and she loves it. It is small but it is so ergonomic it fits my hand great and i can shoot it very well. Smith and wesson makes quality guns. And 400 is a killer price for a gun of that quality, i suspect they will be very popular.

The trigger is even better than in the full size model.

wolverine_173

Post by wolverine_173 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:49 pm

ShaneP wrote:Image

Is the shield designed for a light or did you just put that on?? I did't think it had a rail mount.

ShaneP

Post by ShaneP » Thu May 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Unfortunately there is no.way to mount the light...its a staged photo

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Fri May 18, 2012 6:06 pm

So I've held a few and I really really like them. I havn't taken any apart yet. That empty space in the backstrap.....does it house anything or is it empty like a Glock? The grip works well for me, I just think since its so thin, if it were possible to shave a little off the backstrap it would be perfect. I'm kind of curiouse to see what Robar or someone will do when they get ahold of one.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

ShipWreck

Post by ShipWreck » Sun May 20, 2012 10:01 am

The empty space is actually very small - it ends as the backstrap elevates. But, it houses nothing.

I put 450 rounds thru mine yesterday, so that will tell you it has low recoil. My thumbs hurt loaded the same two mags over and over, though :mrgreen:
-

williaty

Post by williaty » Sun May 20, 2012 1:32 pm

You guys have any suggestion on how to find one? We called all around trying to get one for my wife today and the best offer was up-front payment in full of $460 to be 10th on a waiting list with no ETA.

ShipWreck

Post by ShipWreck » Sun May 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Well, a list is the way. But man, that is high. If that is what they are going for in your area, then you just may have to wait.
-

williaty

Post by williaty » Sun May 20, 2012 7:03 pm

ShipWreck wrote:Well, a list is the way. But man, that is high. If that is what they are going for in your area, then you just may have to wait.
The place with the list was the highest in the area, but we're members there, so it ends up only being $435, which is only $5 more than the cheapest in the area. Gun prices seem quite high around here (Delaware County, Ohio).

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Wed May 23, 2012 6:57 pm

I just got lucky as shit. A used one came into my shop. I wasn't workin' but my buddy was and he stashed it for me. Picked it up today for $340.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Florida_Tony

Post by Florida_Tony » Wed May 23, 2012 9:03 pm

olbaid_dratsab wrote:I just got lucky as shit. A used one came into my shop. I wasn't workin' but my buddy was and he stashed it for me. Picked it up today for $340.
Lucky bastard.

Return to “Handguns”