Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Shaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Re: The new smith & wesson M&P Shield

Post by Shaper » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:37 am

Ut oh...looks like I got a new carry piece to save up for. :)

I was waiting for Springfield to come out with the XDS in 9mm. They better get on the ball or S&W is getting my money. ;)

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

Seigii

The new smith & wesson M&P Shield

Post by Seigii » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:54 pm

If the shield is going to be like it's larger siblings, the thumb safety and magazine disconnect will be optional. I think S&W has been designing them that way to sell to law enforcement. If one department mandates a magazine disconnect, but another wants the thumb safety and another wants a slick gun, S&W can and or remove as desired. The aftermarket thumb safety for the Glock was designed due to some police departments wanting Glocks, but were mandated by the powers that be to have a manual safety. What sounds interesting to me is some of the reviews are saying the trigger pull for the shield is more Glockesque? with a more distinct trigger reset and there is talk that the larger M&Ps will also be getting the new triggers.

Vanniek71
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Not really a movie but AMC's the Walking Dead is awesome

Post by Vanniek71 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:58 pm

They are popular, we got 3 in at my shop, and they were literally all gone 2 hours later. I didn't even get a fair chance to play with it. I can say this though the trigger is better, and for a small gun it feels good in the hand. (That being said I am not an M&P fan, so I was anti shield, now I wouldn't mind trying one)

Also if you get one and are looking for a holster, my crossbreed supertuck made for my Walther PPS fit the Shield perfectly!

williaty

Post by williaty » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:01 pm

So what's really the difference between the M&P 9mm Compact and the M&P 9mm Shield?

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:04 pm

williaty wrote:So what's really the difference between the M&P 9mm Compact and the M&P 9mm Shield?
It is thinner, thus easier to conceal.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

williaty

Post by williaty » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Aikibiker wrote:
williaty wrote:So what's really the difference between the M&P 9mm Compact and the M&P 9mm Shield?
It is thinner, thus easier to conceal.
And that's basically it? Same round count, same barrel length? I know the sights and trigger are supposed to be different from the rest of the M&P line.

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Fewer rounds 7 or 8 rounds depending on the magazine and a slightly shorter barrel. It is made to compete with the PF9, LC9, Nano, etc. It has regular sights the same as a duty weapon would have instead o fth etiny little things you find on most pocket nines. Supposedly it is as controllable as a larger handgun though. I have only gotten to hold one not shoot it so I cannot confirm that part.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:47 pm

Hoppy wrote:Pass.

Not a fan of plastic frames for " small" guns. steel frame is much thinner. not a fan of single stack 9mm, might as well be .45.

id rather have a thin gun with a mid/short barrel and a decent grip than some thing i can only get a 2 finger grip on.

why put a thumb safety on a striker gun... after all they already have like 10 safeties :wink: ( if you dont know me dont respond)
Yup. This is why I went back and purchased another Kahr K40 after selling my first one. I tried several double stack sub-compacts and found that a single stack steel frame just carries so much better. If I am going full size a double stack 9x19 works great, but single stack is always .40 or .45 if I am going to limit myself to less than 10 rounds.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 pm

Grip profile from rear:

Difference in mag height with extension:

Difference in slide width and overall length - M&P9c is longer/fatter

NXP

williaty

Post by williaty » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Wow, that's actually a pretty big difference.

crapshot

Post by crapshot » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:23 am

Hoppy wrote:Pass.

Not a fan of plastic frames for " small" guns. steel frame is much thinner. not a fan of single stack 9mm, might as well be .45.

id rather have a thin gun with a mid/short barrel and a decent grip than some thing i can only get a 2 finger grip on.

why put a thumb safety on a striker gun... after all they already have like 10 safeties :wink: ( if you dont know me dont respond)
If you dont want a responce then dont post on a public board. :roll:

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:56 am

Notice: At the beginning of the video Hickok is reading a Glock mag. :lol:

I held the M&P 9mm Shield and the Beretta Nano. The Nano I believe is too small as a IWB gun and too big to be a front pocket guns. I think Beretta took the Nano too far. I wear large gloves and the I had a difficult time getting my ring finger on the grip. The Nano felt unstable in my hand.
The Shield I believe also has some failings but in general is a better gun. The grip filled my hand quite a bit better and I could get a full ring finger hold on the gun. With the extended grip I could get a full grip. Now where they failed is the barrel length. I think the 3.1" is way too short. I believe it should have at least a 4" barrel. For IWB it's not the barrel that is difficult to conceal, it's the grip. My back issue/nerve damage in my back screams for a thin gun, I think I'd like to give the M&P Shield a whirl. Until Glock produces a single stack 9mm. :|
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

elkhills
Favorite Zombie Movies: An Inconvenient Truth

Post by elkhills » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:21 am

I have nothing very constructive to add to the thread except to say this- if you scroll down the first few posts and look, Hoppy and Regular Guy you two should really consider swapping avatars.

Okay, now ill ask, why the dislike of external safeties?

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:55 am

elkhills wrote:I have nothing very constructive to add to the thread except to say this- if you scroll down the first few posts and look, Hoppy and Regular Guy you two should really consider swapping avatars.

Lulzy.

Okay, now ill ask, why the dislike of external safeties?
I feel the Glock/M&P safe action and redundant safeties are sufficient. For me, I rarely train with a manual safety so it's not instinctive part of my draw. For me, they are a no go.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

smokinbunta
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later, dawn of the dead(new version) RE 1, 2 & 3, night of the living dead, zombie land, the walking dead

Post by smokinbunta » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:01 am

Woah... Hickok was quick on that one!

Vanniek71
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Not really a movie but AMC's the Walking Dead is awesome

Post by Vanniek71 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:46 am

smokinbunta wrote:Woah... Hickok was quick on that one!

I fap to that guys steel range setup! Wish I lived back in MI so I could still go out it the backyard and light stuff up!

Florida_Tony

Post by Florida_Tony » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:28 am

Regular Guy wrote: Now where they failed is the barrel length. I think the 3.1" is way too short. I believe it should have at least a 4" barrel. For IWB it's not the barrel that is difficult to conceal, it's the grip.
See, I like the shorter barrel. I agree that the grip is more important for concealment, but a shorter barrel makes it more comfortable. I'm a short guy, so a long barrel ends up sticking into my hip.

CTjohn

Post by CTjohn » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:41 am

elkhills wrote:Okay, now ill ask, why the dislike of external safeties?
the most common reasons i've read are that people aren't used to them, so they can't rely on their muscle memory to flip it off, and that some consider it a possible point of failure.

personally, i'm left handed, so i can't hit the single-sided safety on the shield/lc9 with my thumb. otherwise, i'd have already jumped on one. (the kahr/kel-tec haven't grabbed me)

smokinbunta
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later, dawn of the dead(new version) RE 1, 2 & 3, night of the living dead, zombie land, the walking dead

Post by smokinbunta » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:12 am

Florida_Tony wrote:
Regular Guy wrote: Now where they failed is the barrel length. I think the 3.1" is way too short. I believe it should have at least a 4" barrel. For IWB it's not the barrel that is difficult to conceal, it's the grip.
See, I like the shorter barrel. I agree that the grip is more important for concealment, but a shorter barrel makes it more comfortable. I'm a short guy, so a long barrel ends up sticking into my hip.

Me too, I'm short AND a chubster... the longer barrels just don't sit quite right when i sit....

ShaneP

Post by ShaneP » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 pm

I was able to find one in stock and I bought today at a local gun shop :) brought 5 9mm snap caps with me, First impression the trigger has a very crisp break with little take up there was no spongy feel like i have on my M&P Pro series...It will be in my hands Friday night here in Wisconsin we have a 48hr waiting period for handguns and range visit on Saturday possible video and a full review...My holster guy also says he is doing a limited run this week so I put an order in
I was a highway man along the coach roads i did ride, with sword and pistol by my side many of young men lost there marbles to my trade, and many a soldiers lost there blood upon my blade. The bastards hung me in the spring of 25 but im still alive. ~~ The highwaymen ~~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1bHaUk1CM

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:07 pm

I think they need to remove the 'caution capable of firing with magazine removed' to "CHECK FOR BULLETS DUMBASS"

I'd like to shoot one, I'm curious how the slimmer grip feels to me.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

ShaneP

Post by ShaneP » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:12 pm

To me it feels like its almost a 1.5 stack...larger than LC-9 but smaller than P-11..It swells out to fill my palm and I have a 9 inch grip from tip of thumb to tip of pinky
I was a highway man along the coach roads i did ride, with sword and pistol by my side many of young men lost there marbles to my trade, and many a soldiers lost there blood upon my blade. The bastards hung me in the spring of 25 but im still alive. ~~ The highwaymen ~~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1bHaUk1CM

ShaneP

Post by ShaneP » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:58 pm

So there are some photos for direct comparison to M&P9C I took photos to compare the Shield to an LC-9...The M&P is noticeable heavier even when unloaded...The sight radius is longer on the M&P also not photoed here could get a good pic but the LC-9 did seem wider while laying on the table but i think that was due to the LC-9 is unstable while laying on its side....
Image Image Image Image

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Post by Absintheur » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:34 pm

3/10ths of an inch bigger than the Kel Tec PF9 in height, length, and width. Same style sights, about the same weight. If I didn't already own a PF-9 I would give this S&W serious consideration.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

Return to “Handguns”