why glock 19 instead of 17?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jonathan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead.

Re: why glock 19 instead of 17?

Post by Jonathan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:58 pm

After seeing a lot of online praise for the 19, I had to check it out. It's a fine pistol, but I prefer the 17 in hand so I do not regret my choice. I just felt a little cramped with the 19. That might change with exposure, I'm sure I could train the awkwardness out to some extent but I'm already comfortable. Try them all out and get whatever you like.

The 17 round magazine is nice, but if you get halfway through it and still have problems you should re-evaluate your people skills and / or marksmanship.

Glennbo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004), Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Living Dead.

Post by Glennbo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:48 am

I EDC a Glock 26 concealed. That's difficult enough to pull off.

G19 seems like the perfect balance.
"There are a lot of things I've been blamed for that I never did. But then there are a lot of things I did and never got caught at." ---Johnny Cash---

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:46 am

ROLF at the "pocket MP5"

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

bigmattdaddywack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later,Hide and Creep, Night of the living dead, Undead, Return of the Living Dead.
Not truly zombie movies but, Evil Dead I and II, Army of darkness

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:47 am

subbed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd2rsXoQSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:57 am

Jonathan wrote:The 17 round magazine is nice, but if you get halfway through it and still have problems you should re-evaluate your people skills and / or marksmanship.
I like the feel of the 17 in my bear paw, but this...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

blackjack32
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks later

Post by blackjack32 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:29 am

Jonathan wrote:After seeing a lot of online praise for the 19, I had to check it out. It's a fine pistol, but I prefer the 17 in hand so I do not regret my choice. I just felt a little cramped with the 19. That might change with exposure, I'm sure I could train the awkwardness out to some extent but I'm already comfortable. Try them all out and get whatever you like.

The 17 round magazine is nice, but if you get halfway through it and still have problems you should re-evaluate your people skills and / or marksmanship.

If your good with the size and capacity of the 17 then roll with it. For me personally, I would prefer to have bigger bullets when possible. lots of bigger bullets is always pleasant and tends to make up for my lack of people skills. :D

citizensoldier

Post by citizensoldier » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:45 am

I carry a G19 as a duty gun and off duty. Also carry an XD9 off duty some.

CS

jeepinbandtrider

why glock 19 instead of 17?

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:55 am

Just put a 17 round mag in the 19 of you want the extra capacity. I regularly run my G17 mags in my G26 during competitions.

Sent from my iPhone

Jonathan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead.

Post by Jonathan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:39 am

Unless the size of the 19 frame itself is uncomfortable. I'm probably in the minority though, as it sounds like almost everyone prefers the 19 to the 17.

Good point about the magazines! If capacity is the only concern, there you go.

NachoBorracho

Post by NachoBorracho » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:44 pm

I think its been mentioned already, but this is the internet, so anyone can post :D . If I only had one gun, it would be a G19. It's small enough to conceal easily, I CCW mine pretty much everyday outside of work, and its large enough for me to hold and shoot comfortably. The 17 is nice, but if you don't have huge meat mits, your hands fit on the 19 just as easily as the 17. As far as an accuracy difference between barrel lengths, I would be surprised if anyone could see the difference with the naked eye.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:28 pm

If I could go back in time, knowing what I know now(which still isn't much), I'd prolly roll with a G19. I tried to convince my wife to buy one, but she liked the desert talon :roll:

...it gets kinda interesting concealing an m9 sometimes :lol:

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:52 pm

For me, personally, the better question is, "Why not?" What does the 17 do that the 19 can't? What--2 more rounds and a longer barrel/slide? Meh. I don't think the 2 extra rounds would ever make a difference for me or mine, and I'm not a good enough shot to see any benefit from a longer barrel. I'm not doing trick shots or trying to hit targets 100 meters away, so. . .why would I want a 17?
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

strm_trpr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Evil Dead, Dawn of the dead

Post by strm_trpr » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:34 pm

I already have an issued 23, so I think I wanna get a personal 17 so I have my own hi-cap 9mm semi auto for range/bedside.
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." ~Ayn Rand~

Return to “Handguns”