why glock 19 instead of 17?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

specops

why glock 19 instead of 17?

Post by specops » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:48 pm

Why does almost everyone have a glock 19 instead of 17 for a combat pistol, I can see for ccw but not for combat. I see all kinds of pictures of bug out bags, shooters, mercenarys loudouts and they all have glock 19, they only have a 15rd mah instead of 17 so wouldn't you want a 17rd mag? I don't know but do any of you? Is there some difference?

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Re: why glock 19 instead of 17?

Post by AKFTW » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:53 pm

specops wrote:Why does almost everyone have a glock 19 instead of 17 for a combat pistol, I can see for ccw but not for combat. I see all kinds of pictures of bug out bags, shooters, mercenarys loudouts and they all have glock 19, they only have a 15rd mah instead of 17 so wouldn't you want a 17rd mag? I don't know but do any of you? Is there some difference?
Best of both worlds here: 8-)
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

nyarlotep
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't think I've seen one. Not a big fan of the horror genre.

Post by nyarlotep » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:56 pm

If I needed a pistol specifically for combat (open carry on hip or thigh, say) then sure, the 17 would be great. Since most of us don't walk around in combat gear full time, we generally need a more concealable pistol, and the 19 seems to hit the sweet spot for concealability and firepower. I, personally, wouldn't buy a 17 only so I could have it in case I was going to be wearing it openly, so when worse comes to worst, the 19 I already have and use is the gun I'm going to be taking with me.
God was my co-pilot, but our plane crashed in the mountains and I ate him.

In theory, there's no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is.
- Cigarman

AUA

Post by AUA » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:15 pm

specops wrote:Why does almost everyone have a glock 19 instead of 17 for a combat pistol, I can see for ccw but not for combat. I see all kinds of pictures of bug out bags, shooters, mercenarys loudouts and they all have glock 19, they only have a 15rd mah instead of 17 so wouldn't you want a 17rd mag? I don't know but do any of you? Is there some difference?
Two rounds are probably not going to make or break a 'combat situation', you're not going to suddenly become a badass and put all of your 9mm rounds into one hole because you have a slightly larger magazine. The M9 has 'only' 15 rounds, do you consider the M9 not 'combat sufficient' (barring issues with caliber)?

The issue is basically academic anyway, because the 19 can use the 17's mags (as well as 33-rd happy sticks).

A 19 is in-between a full-size and a subcompact (CCW-typical) handgun, in other words exactly where you want it. Large enough to handle better than a stubby subcompact, but compact enough to also conceal well and a tad bit leaner than a full-size. Functionality is identical, and you sacrifice an iota of velocity/energy and two bullets (for standard mags) for the advantages of a 'compact' handgun.

Not that you can't CC a 17 (people CC 1911s and service-size revolvers), but it's easier with a 19.

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:04 am

When I grab my G19, my pinky doesn't rest on the last finger groove. With a 17, it rests right on top of it and it causes discomfort when shooting long strings of fire.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:58 pm

nimdabew wrote:When I grab my G19, my pinky doesn't rest on the last finger groove. With a 17, it rests right on top of it and it causes discomfort when shooting long strings of fire.
This is why Gen2 Glocks are superior.

NXP

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:30 pm

northernxposure wrote:
nimdabew wrote:When I grab my G19, my pinky doesn't rest on the last finger groove. With a 17, it rests right on top of it and it causes discomfort when shooting long strings of fire.

NXP
I won't say superior but maybe personal preference , I definately dislike the Gen3/4 finger groove frames . G2 for me as well . I just picked up a clean 17 :)

Back in the 90's I had 3 - G19's . I thought then it was maybe the perfect size/weight 15 shot 9mm when compared to the other options . These days though there are more options than back then . It's still a great choice imo .
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:04 pm

northernxposure wrote:

NXP
I like the finger grooves. On the 19.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:10 pm

I venture to guess it's the same reason why most people prefer a 16" carbine to a 20" rifle.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:54 pm

I've got a G17 and G26 but no 19. I CC the G17 when I feel like it it's not hard. But as stated above you can use the 17 round G17 mags in the G19 (I've ran the 33 round G18 mags in my G26). All the 9mm mags are compatible with the 9mm Glocks as long as the grip is short enough to take it.

It just comes down to what yo ulike best and what you shoot best.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:04 pm

RickOShea wrote:
I venture to guess it's the same reason why most people prefer a 16" carbine to a 20" rifle.
Zackly....

Most of the performance in a handier size.

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:38 pm

Like others said... its big enough to fight with, small enough to hide.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:44 am

I am not a fan of the 19. Not much more concealable, but less grip to control it. I'd rather go with the 17. I just don't think the 19 has any real advantage.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:35 am

Like the ACOG and 16" fighting rifles, the G19 is a "best all around" item. It covers all your needs pretty well.

I would also think, in a fighting load, you save yourself a few ounces.

Just because a combat loadout is designed to be overt does not negate the possability of needing a CCW gun. Plenty of warriors have had to exfil after a loss, failed mission, what have you. SERE applies to towns and cities as much as the bush.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:41 am

Kutter_0311 wrote:Like the ACOG and 16" fighting rifles, the G19 is a "best all around" item. It covers all your needs pretty well.

I would also think, in a fighting load, you save yourself a few ounces.
I look at my G17K as I look at my solid side folder AKM- gaining the benefits of a smaller, more compact package, without sacrificing performance and shoot-ability.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:20 am

AKFTW wrote:I look at my G17K as I look at my solid side folder AKM- gaining the benefits of a smaller, more compact package, without sacrificing performance and shoot-ability.
Also why I'm so tempted to make a G35K...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

GunnerMax

Post by GunnerMax » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:00 am

As stated before, I wanted an accurate, but able to conceal. I OC or CC my G19, depending on my mood.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:09 pm

GunnerMax wrote:As stated before, I wanted an accurate, but able to conceal. I OC or CC my G19, depending on my mood.
I do the same with my G35. OC is G2G here in WI, but not everywhere...

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:13 pm

Why not a 19 concealed in the holster and a 17 in the night stand?
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

Glockman

Post by Glockman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:17 pm

Only reason I have a 17 instead of a 19 is because it happens to fit my huge hands and the 19 doesn't. I still want a 19 at some point for the fiancee though.

Zombland

Post by Zombland » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:35 pm

I have nothing against a G19 at all, it's a fine gun.

But I find the G17 perfectly comfortable to CCW, so . . . why not? Bigger grip, bigger sight radius (I think, yes?). It happens to work for me.

But then my usual carry gun is a full-size 1911, so I'm used to carrying a full-size fighting pistol CCW, and I have long since (over 20+ years) acquired the gear and clothing that makes that not a problem. I usually only CCW the G17 on those rare occasions when my 1911 is getting some work done or getting refinished or something. Maybe once every few years (although I shoot it regularly in competition, using the same gear I use to CCW it, so the whole rig stays quite familiar).

Either way, G17 or 1911 (or G19 for that matter), I feel as well defended as any handgun would make me. With luck I'll be able to fight my way to the long guns . . . and that's a whole other kettle of fish. :lol:

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:11 pm

bigger sight radius (I think, yes?)
Half an inch longer slide.

My coworkers ask why I don't EDC my 17, being about the size of a foothill like I am. My answer is "I have two 19's." :lol:
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blackjack32
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks later

Post by blackjack32 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:25 pm

I look at it like this: I can run a 19 faster than a 17,22,23,35 or a 1911. I get lots of bullets and it isnt necessarly the best "assault gun" but as a defensive weapon, it cant be beat. Slap on an X300 and now you've got a pocket MP5 that you can clear out some small spaces with. Its accurate and reliable and highly concealable. The 17 just makes a few of these things I mentioned harder to achieve. I personally dont notice any difference in the accuracy between a 17 and a 19. If I am going to carry a gun the size of a 17, then why not carry a bigger bullet? (.40) if I am going to carry a gun that size anyway, why not carry a 1911?

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:16 pm

blackjack32 wrote:I look at it like this: I can run a 19 faster than a 17,22,23,35 or a 1911. I get lots of bullets and it isnt necessarly the best "assault gun" but as a defensive weapon, it cant be beat. Slap on an X300 and now you've got a pocket MP5 that you can clear out some small spaces with. Its accurate and reliable and highly concealable. The 17 just makes a few of these things I mentioned harder to achieve. I personally dont notice any difference in the accuracy between a 17 and a 19. If I am going to carry a gun the size of a 17, then why not carry a bigger bullet? (.40) if I am going to carry a gun that size anyway, why not carry a 1911?
Now this thread is going to go interesting places. :lol:

Return to “Handguns”