Guns to be gifted in 20 years...

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Bonecrusher Doc

Guns to be gifted in 20 years...

Post by Bonecrusher Doc » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:09 pm

The wife says to me that we should give each of our kids a gun when they're grown as something to help them when the go off into the world.
I says to her that we should buy them now, since who knows what the situation will be in 10-30 years.
She says yes, and that they should be handguns.

So now I need to decide which handgun to buy for little people who will someday become big people.

Considerations:
I think the caliber needs to be big enough for self-defense, but cheap and readily available. I'm thinking 9x19 but I'm not necessarily set on it. What centerfire caliber do you think will be cheap and plentiful in 30 years?

The handgun should be simple to operate and clean, because there's no guarantee that all my kids are growing to grow up to be gun enthusiasts. Also they should be either VERY durable, or else a model that you think will be easily repaired with readily available parts 30 years from now.

The handgun should be small enough to be concealable, but large enough that it's a bit easier to shoot a squirrel or rabbit with it. I'm thinking something like a Glock 19. Ah, but here's the problem...

I don't think I can afford four Glock 19s. My kids can spend their own money on their optimal handgun all tricked out when they're grown. But what's something a bit more affordable now that in 30 years I can say to my wife, "Boy, I'm sure glad back in 2012 we got those four pistols, one for each of the kids. They've really come in handy now that we live in a society that's like the Wild West."?

I am also open to considering revolvers, even though I currently have no experience with them.
Bonecrusher Doc wrote: I'd say this has at least a little justification as a mental exercise.
JamesCannon wrote:Yes, well there's the right way and wrong way to exercise, and the wrong way can lead to injury and/or damage. :P

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Re: Guns to be gifted in 20 years...

Post by AKFTW » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Get the Glock 19s. They will still be around in 30 years, 9mm sure will be as well. You have 30 years... I think you can save up $2k in that time.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Bonecrusher Doc

Post by Bonecrusher Doc » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Ah, but see, I was going to buy them all now... so I was thinking maybe Makarovs that I can get for $200 each, but then I figured the ammo and parts won't be around in the future. But maybe I should take your advice and just take some more time to save up for the Glocks. My only hesitation is that I fear gun prices will increase significantly in the next few years.
Bonecrusher Doc wrote: I'd say this has at least a little justification as a mental exercise.
JamesCannon wrote:Yes, well there's the right way and wrong way to exercise, and the wrong way can lead to injury and/or damage. :P

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:42 pm

Bonecrusher Doc wrote:Ah, but see, I was going to buy them all now... so I was thinking maybe Makarovs that I can get for $200 each, but then I figured the ammo and parts won't be around in the future. But maybe I should take your advice and just take some more time to save up for the Glocks. My only hesitation is that I fear gun prices will increase significantly in the next few years.
9mm Mak is on the way out, for sure. In 30 years it could be a total curio round, as even the Russian military switched to 9x19 years ago, and nobody is designing new pistols for the cartridge.

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:03 pm

http://www.jgsales.com/smith-wesson-mod ... -3103.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have a few different grades. All under $300. Durable, reliable, and ammo costs only slightly more than 9mm, and will probably always be available at any establishment that sells ammo. Stainless steel also means low maintenance. Little to no worry of rust if left neglected. .38 ammo is also super versatile. If one of your little ones grows up to be recoil sensitive you can get super soft .38 loads.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:34 pm

AKFTW wrote:Get the Glock 19s. They will still be around in 30 years, 9mm sure will be as well. You have 30 years... I think you can save up $2k in that time.
This. Don't cheapen up your selection based on what you have NOW. Just buy them as you can afford them.

The last thing you want to do is cheapen up your selection and hand them a piece of junk 20 years from now. And, who knows? An unused, in-the-box, Glock 19 may be highly sought after in 20-30 years.

nyarlotep
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't think I've seen one. Not a big fan of the horror genre.

Post by nyarlotep » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:38 pm

yeah, go with the Glock 19s. Set aside $200/month and get one every 3 months. Then keep setting aside $200 every month and stock up on spare mags and ammo.

10 years ago the Makarov would've been a good idea; they were $100, and ammo was $100 per 1000 round case. Now that they're 2-3 times the cost and ammo costs as much as 9x19, they're not as great a deal. I love mine, but I only paid $160 for it and ammo was still cheap. They're still a great gun, just not as great a deal.
God was my co-pilot, but our plane crashed in the mountains and I ate him.

In theory, there's no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is.
- Cigarman

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Pick a high quality pistol in a common caliber. Don't skimp on price.

To make it more affordable, buy one each for the next four years. If you can afford it, double up and buy two each for the next two years. You don't have to buy all four this year.

A Glock 19 would work. If you go Glock, get the 3rd Gen instead of the 4th Gen as there are some issues with the 4th Gen.

If you get something that uses high capacity mags, buy at least five mags per pistol. If anything gets banned again, it's more likely to be mags than guns. Those high caps you buy now might be totally unavailable at any price in 20 years. (Hopefully not, but more likely than a ban on handguns, in my opinion).

Another option would be a NICE 1911. Something like a Colt Series 70. 1911's will still be around and parts and mags will still be available.

Whatever you do, pick a COMMON caliber. 9mm or .45 ACP would be my first two choices. .40 S&W would be my third choice for an autopistol. Do NOT buy 9x18MM as it's not as readily available now as the other calibers and who knows how available it will be in 20 years.

If you go with revolvers some pre-lock S&W .357 Magnum revolvers would fit the bill.
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Glock 19. Buying a Glock 19 is just plain good for the soul. Better than chicken soup and hot cocoa in front of a warm fire during a blizzard.

tlplc

Post by tlplc » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Then you can add a makarov or a nagant revolver too. Who knows : they are cheap now but they might get highly collectible in 20 years. :)

xLionx

Post by xLionx » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:01 pm

1911. The design has made it over 100 years

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Are you wanting to pass along a heirloom that holds or increases it's value over time or something that is going to be used and abused by them. An heirloom piece will cost you a bit more now but could become quite valuable down the road 20 years. If you are thinking 9mm I would say go for a Browning Hi-Power, those are only increasing in value.

20 years from now a gen 3 Glock could be about worthless because there will be so many newer and better things on the market (we hope). Nothing wrong with a Glock, it's just not something that I see as a piece to pass along to my kids in the future. When I think of that I see Brownings, Colts, and other manufactures that seem to be timeless.

And you don't have to buy them all today, save and buy them one at a time as the funds become available.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Maverick299 wrote:Are you wanting to pass along a heirloom that holds or increases it's value over time or something that is going to be used and abused by them. An heirloom piece will cost you a bit more now but could become quite valuable down the road 20 years. If you are thinking 9mm I would say go for a Browning Hi-Power, those are only increasing in value.

20 years from now a gen 3 Glock could be about worthless because there will be so many newer and better things on the market (we hope). Nothing wrong with a Glock, it's just not something that I see as a piece to pass along to my kids in the future. When I think of that I see Brownings, Colts, and other manufactures that seem to be timeless.

And you don't have to buy them all today, save and buy them one at a time as the funds become available.
I don't know, I think the Gen 3 Glock has some serious staying power, and I would not be surprised if they are still making them down the road.

The BHP is a good option though.

Bonecrusher Doc

Post by Bonecrusher Doc » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:58 pm

Not an heirloom for resale value but rather a tool that they would keep their whole life.
Sounds like the consensus is the Glock 19 in this scenario.
Maybe what I should do if I'm concerned about the market changing (whether through legislation, executive order, or simply economics) is to buy just one Glock 19 for starters and stock up on high quality high capacity mags now.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:19 pm

I already did this one for my two youngest kids. My time frame was than 30 years. I just wanted something they could carry when they turn 18 and can get their CCW permits. The answer for me, also on a very tight budget, was the CZ-82. Like new surplus ones are pretty inexpensive. I got extra springs and firing pins from CZ-USA, they still have them in stock bcz they also fit the current CZ-83. And I am buying 9mm Mak for cheap and stacking it deep, so it doesn't matter that much how more expensive or even unavailable it is in the future. It is a good carry weight, low recoil, round that has a tad more umph than the .380 auto. It has ambidextrous safety, double action, and is much more accurate than the .380 pistols I have tried, and more accurate than my Kel tec P11. I've got it checked off my list. I don't need to save up for a set of glocks. I just keep stacking in more ammo as funds allow.

Edits: And they have 12 round mags, 2 came with each gun and they can use the current production CZ-83 mag as well.
Last edited by FlashDaddy on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

nyarlotep
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't think I've seen one. Not a big fan of the horror genre.

Post by nyarlotep » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:07 pm

CZ82 is a great suggestion. If you don't mind sharing, how cheap is the Mak ammo you get, and from
where? I haven't seen it for less that $9-10/box for quite a while.

In theory, there's no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is.
- Cigarman

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:14 pm

AKFTW wrote:
Maverick299 wrote:Are you wanting to pass along a heirloom that holds or increases it's value over time or something that is going to be used and abused by them. An heirloom piece will cost you a bit more now but could become quite valuable down the road 20 years. If you are thinking 9mm I would say go for a Browning Hi-Power, those are only increasing in value.

I don't know, I think the Gen 3 Glock has some serious staying power, and I would not be surprised if they are still making them down the road.

The BHP is a good option though.
I guess I should have used a better word than worthless, what I meant was that when the gen 5 comes out and most likely combines the ergonomics of the gen 4 with the reliability of the gen 3 it will cause a decrease in demand for earlier guns. I don't see a Glock as a gun that you buy and sit on for 10 years and when you crack open the box you have a weapon that has doubled in value. Most likely it will have decreased in value. You still have a fine weapon, but not really an investment. It seems only certain guns gain value and if I was buying one to sit on for 10-20 years I want one that increases in value.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:20 pm

9 mm Mak is around $10/50 now. I get it at CTD, Wideners or Aim.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:17 pm

FWIW I have a model 1911 that my grandfather bought for his part in the nastiness of 1918 & 1919.

He in turn gave to my father who carried in the next European nastiness of 1943 through 1945. My father gave it to me and i used it as CCW for few years.

It has been retired now when it was replaced in 1976 by a 1911 Gold Cup, but it is still in my safe. It will be passed along in the fullness of time to someone who will take care of it.

The weapon you chose today will likely be dated in 30 years but so what. The point is to teach them about heritage and honestly any well built pistol will work well.

nyarlotep

Post by nyarlotep » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:51 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:9 mm Mak is around $10/50 now. I get it at CTD, Wideners or Aim.
ah, ok. Cheaper than locally, but not the $5/box I used to love

- Cigarman

rklessdriver

Post by rklessdriver » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Really you have a lot of options.

I also don't think you need to be in the hurry your in (New Glocks have been $500-$550 for many years) but I could be wrong.

Personally I think .45ACP, 9X19, .38spl and .22LR are good bets. All 4 are very common in the USA and are gonna be for however long we can continue to own firearms here.

The Glock 19 or 17 is a great pistol thats going to stand the test of time. Sure there will be newer ones by the time your kids grow up but it's still going to be a Glock, much like a Series 70 is still a 1911 (just not one with all the beavertails and Novak sights).

Also the Springfield Armory XD9... With the advent of the XDM, I've seen regular XD9's selling CHEAP ($389) brand new. Heck my step son just turned 21 at christmas and I bought him a lightly used one w/nite sights for $325 off a guy that was "upgrading to an XDM"....

The Police Trade in Smith and Wesson K Frames (Model 10, 15, 64, 65) are great as well. Check out Buds and JG Sales for them. They are just becoming classic's today... can you imagine what they will be like when you give them away in 20yrs.... These K Frames are going to be examples of what kind of guns skilled America use to be able to build. You also got to think about how unthreatend by revolvers the Govt is. Not high capacity and .38spl is very common easy to reload for.

OF course 1911 is great and no doubt will be as popular in 20yrs as it is today but thats a lot of $$$ for something (COLT) you'd be proud to pass down.

Lets not forget the .22LR. Ruger MKII, MKIII or 22/45, Single Six, S&W 617, Ruger SP101.... lots of other options. Not the greatest for self defense but a great training weapon that can easily double for SD in a pinch. AND lets face it, 90% of peoples first gun was a 22 (for good reason)......
Will

Krypticklown
Favorite Zombie Movies: The "B"er the Better

Post by Krypticklown » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Older P226?
Jay: "What the F*&k is the internet!?"

Guns for sale: P95 and Mare's Leg

Einher

Post by Einher » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Bonecrusher Doc wrote:Ah, but see, I was going to buy them all now... so I was thinking maybe Makarovs that I can get for $200 each, but then I figured the ammo and parts won't be around in the future. But maybe I should take your advice and just take some more time to save up for the Glocks. My only hesitation is that I fear gun prices will increase significantly in the next few years.
...so everyone seems to think every 4 to 8 years.

I would at least wait until after this upcoming election cycle.
People really start getting apeshit crazy and think their ability to purchase guns are about to disappear the closer to an election we get, so everyone and their grandmother starts making mass purchases, which depleting supply and increases demand (also, it compounds the mass purchasing hysteria).

Wait until after the election, no matter who wins the prices will fall back into the reasonable price range within a year or so.

Better yet, save up your money and wait for a black thursday or discount sale.
You already kind of know what you want (G19 x4), so there's no terrible rush.

There's no need to start beating the trail this very minute, but don't wait too long either.

my $0.02 USD

EDIT: I would avoid anything in 9x18mm for the kind of long term investment you're talking about. I don't know where the hell anyone thinks they are going to find ammo for them 20 years from now.
It is all but a dead cartridge, living as it is on the lifeline of low ammo prices from aging surplus.
9x19 is going to be the cartridge you want IMO.
Last edited by Einher on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
полиция wrote:Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

thesupremeking

Post by thesupremeking » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:09 pm

100 years and still strong, what's another 20-30!? :wink:

Return to “Handguns”