Kel Tec P11 9 mm

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

93slayer
Favorite Zombie Movies: All. Resident evil is the tops. The Walking Dead is the best show ever!

Kel Tec P11 9 mm

Post by 93slayer » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:18 am

Well I picked up this Kel Tec 9mm last weekend at a gun show. My Buddy bought an identical one. This thing is pretty small compact. I will post pics by the weekend. First impressions were good.... Then I actually shot it. Mine jams every 2 rounds. My buddies shoots cleanly. I haven't opened it up to inspect and clean it yet, but I have read that they are full of thick grease from factory and have lots of casting burrs.
I'm not upset with it yet. It fits in a pocket. It's short barrel makes for a lot of noise and recoil. But I like it. Holds 10 in the mag 1 in chamber. I'm going to go through it soon and then try to shoot it again.

Also on a side note, my dpms ar does not like TulAmmo .223 rounds. It will not load the next round to fire

Rich
Kel Tec P11 9mm
DPMS Panther Sportical 5.56 1x9 twist TruGlo Red Dot

TacAir

Re: Kel Tec P11 9 mm

Post by TacAir » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:34 am

How did you like the trigger? Is this your first pistol?

Let us know what you find when you break it down for cleaning....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:41 am

Go to the KTOG and follow the instructions for a fluff and buff. My buddy and I both bought P3ATs at a gumshoe years ago and he had the same problems. Fixed after the fluff and buff.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

93slayer
Favorite Zombie Movies: All. Resident evil is the tops. The Walking Dead is the best show ever!

Post by 93slayer » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:27 pm

The trigger definitely takes some getting used to. Not first pistol I've had and shot but first that I bought for myself. I will b buying a a glock or Springfield next though.

I was on ktog before I bought it. I was aware some are like this. I just wanted to share it with all you. Once I take the time to clean it I will post what I find and maybe some pics
Kel Tec P11 9mm

SouthernbredRebel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil, The Walking Dead

Post by SouthernbredRebel » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:11 pm

Just fyi they can use Smith and Wesson mags too
When in doubt, empty the magazine.
Who cares if a laser guided 500lb bomb is accurate within 9 feet.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Clean the weapon, swap the magazine with one that works in your buddy's pistol. If the jamming continues it needs a fluff and buff. If the jamming problem is solved with your buddy;s magazine... buy some different magazines and repeat the test.

My experience with my P-11 is that it goes bang every time I pull the trigger. However, like many autos it is probe to failure due to "limp wristing" when firing. Be sure you are gripping the weapon firmly. The long trigger pull can exacerbate this problem.
Last edited by raptor on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93slayer

Post by 93slayer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:53 am

Well I broke it down and cleaned it. Didn't have any lubricant that I could find, barrel was very dirty and there were little rub marks on some spots. 600 grit and 400 grit sand paper took care of the rub marks and a good cleaning and lube was performed. After reassembly I can say it does slide better now. Waiting in my 1000 rounds to come in before I can report on shooting it.
I can't post pics here. I'm using an iPhone. I do not own a pc. But I have a Flickr account. I'll try to post a link to it shortly. You can search for my user name : 93slayer

Thanks guys!
Kel Tec P11 9mm

homerj109
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead

Post by homerj109 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:13 pm

I have the PF9 and had similar issues with ball ammo before I did the "fluff and buff". Mine functions well with hollow points and even with the polished feed ramp I only shoot ball or fmj at the range.

My PF9 is also pretty sensitive if you have someone limp wristing.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:53 pm

homerj109 wrote:
My PF9 is also pretty sensitive if you have someone limp wristing.
It is that damn long trigger pull that exacerbates the limp wrist problem.

homerj109
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead

Post by homerj109 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:58 pm

You got that right, it takes some getting used to.

sharps_74

Post by sharps_74 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:15 pm

I just pick one up (new) and it has fired everything that I put in it. Hope yours comes out alright

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Post by Absintheur » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Mine has run flawlessly since day one and has been dry fired and shot enough the trigger feels like a well tuned J-Frame trigger. It is closing in on about 3000 rounds of 9mm and probably 5000+ rounds of .22. The 22 conversion is a great addition...accurate, fun, and makes for a great woods gun...mine has taken rabbits and squirrels and well as dispatching a few big snappers.

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Haven't shot one yet, but my brain tells me it would be ideal for summer/pocket carry. I didn't know there was a .22 kit available.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Post by Absintheur » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:31 am

The conversion is from Twisted Industries and they make conversions for several Kel Tecs.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

Return to “Handguns”