Favorite Handguns

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Favorite Handguns

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:35 am

for ease of shooting, and all day cheap fun, the wifes Walther P22. But my baby holds a place in my heart.. SigSauer P229 .40

"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

budthachud

Post by budthachud » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Not sure why. Hurts to shoot it. It's heavy. But still....
Freedom Arms M83 in .454 Casull, 6" barrel.
I didn't make a sig yet.

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Too many favorites for too many occasions!

First, my Sig P228; it was my virgin pistol which I bought when I received my commission in the Army back in 1993:

My first generation Kimber TLE 1911…it’s been going strong for several years:

I’ve always wanted a BHP, ever since I saw some SOF or other magazine article about a mercenary’s choice of sidearms…it was a BHP and a Seecamp. I picked up my BHP as my redeployment gift to myself from my first tour to Iraq. I added tritium night sights and Mitech G10 grips which make it melt in my hand:

My most prized CCW is nothing too fancy, just functional; my Dan Wesson CBOB. It’s quite accurate and that perfect balance for carrying IWB. I gifted myself this gem after my first deployment to Afghanistan:

My first CZ was an accident. I stumbled into a gun shop in Texas and saw this used pistol. I knew of CZ75s, but this was different being a CZ85. It was in great shape and only $300.00 (back around 2000). I love the ambi controls and how it handles and the cocked-and-locked option. I own several CZ’s, but this continues to be my favored one:

I can’t leave out my Glock 23. About 90% of the time I’m on the trail hiking, backpacking, biking or even kayaking, this is my choice of carry. Nothing flashy, just function. The G23 (Generation 2 I think) was the first and only pistol I ever traded (for a Kimber Ultra Carry gen-1 .45); I just didn’t want to stock another caliber as I had mostly 9mm and .45 pistols. Well, after I picked up a Glock 19, I ran into a deal for the gen 3 Glock 23 and couldn’t pass it up. It’s now my outdoors CCW of choice:

The smoothest revolver is my GP100. I picked this up used and the trigger action is as smooth as butter. My daughter has laid claim, so I need to track down another…not sure I can let this one go!

As an oddball, the Steyr M9-A1 was picked up when they weren’t too popular. It’s a gem of a pistol with a trigger that surpasses anything Glock has off the shelf. The sights are different, but drills show it’s faster for me…it also sits in the hand quite comfortably:

Alas, for whatever reason, the Glock 26 is my most carried CCW…it just works:

A few of my favored handguns; cheers!

ROCK6

rklessdriver

Post by rklessdriver » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:09 pm

First - My Les Baer Premier II

Second - My COLT Combat Elite

Will

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:43 am

I love my g19 for carry, but this p226 is my baby

Sig takes better pics than I do. I put black grips on mine.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Fred Burke

Post by Fred Burke » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:17 am

ROCK6 wrote:

As an oddball, the Steyr M9-A1 was picked up when they weren’t too popular. It’s a gem of a pistol with a trigger that surpasses anything Glock has off the shelf. The sights are different, but drills show it’s faster for me…it also sits in the hand quite comfortably:
Finally picked one up this month after first falling in love with the original M9 years back, one of the Mid East contract guns imported by PW Arms. I love everything about it (cept it's pretty wide, we're talking USP 45, G20/21 girth for a 9), and I'd put the trigger against a XDm any day. Not to mention feel.

Instruction manual was over 200 pages, that's something new to me. 200 pages of several languages.
Sure would love to score one of those factory buttstocks.
About to order a SHTF Gear Supertuck clone and some factory 17's.

Next up in handguns-Buckmark, RIA 1911, or Six series Ruger .357

Fred Burke

Post by Fred Burke » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Charra wrote:I LOVE my Ruger P89 9mm though, smooth shooting, never jams, eats up everything I put in it, comfortable Hogue grips, heavy, you could easily use it as a club if you needed.

My Ruger goes everywhere with me, it was my first handgun and so far it's been amazing.
The Ruger P series were the most pistol for the money ever, I'd put them up there with Sig and HK for dependability. Ergos, on the other hand, 85/89/90/91 in particular, were atrocious, but hey, they work. Stainless P-89s and 90s are some of the best looking pistols ever IMO.

RedneckReverend
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, Serenity, 28 Days Later, I Am Legend, Quarantine, Pet Sematary,

Post by RedneckReverend » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:32 pm

Favorite = Smith and Wesson Model 29 .41 Magnum with an 8" barrel and a trigger (when shooting single action) that only takes a hard thought to fire.

But the one I carry most is my Kel-Tec P11 9mm because it's super easy to conceal in almost any clothing and is fool proof even under extreme stress. For a guaranteed bang even when the adrenaline is at max DAO is the way to go.
And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Polley

Post by Polley » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Last edited by Polley on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

exiledtoIA

Post by exiledtoIA » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:01 am

Browning High power
Ruger GP100
Ruger LC-9
This soldier should not be allowed north of the Light Line.

Jsimmonsgr

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:27 am

1911s hands down. I have two, a Springfield Loaded Parkerized and a Taurus alloy frame with the rail. I shoot both, but carry the Taurus more due to its light weight (Loaded the thing weighs about half of what my Springfield does empty).

Next in line would be the BHP, what can I say I am a disciple of John Moses Browning.

Then the Bersa Thunder .380, its not pricy, its light, its dammed accurate ( for a mouse gun), and unlike the Walther it has a slide release you can use.

Last would be the Taurus judge, not because of any fault with the weapon, but because I hate ( and I mean HATE) wheelguns.
J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult
Rule#2 Dont be stingy with ammo, double tap!

Sen

Post by Sen » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:56 am

Favorite revolver: GP100 6in SS

Favorite auto: Springfield 1911

Proc

Post by Proc » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Mine would have to be a customized Springfield Range Officer with Harrison fixed sights and some trigger work and a Vicker's custom Colt that he built for me about 20 years ago.

pdinphx

Post by pdinphx » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:56 pm

Going through a revolver phase right now ...

PJ
Phoenix, AZ

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:41 pm

^^^
"Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work you can always hit them with it."

VinnieD

Post by VinnieD » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:11 pm

pdinphx wrote:Going through a revolver phase right now ...

PJ
Phoenix, AZ
Nice slab side shroud there. Did you get it from CZ-USA? Also did it come tapped for adding rails already, or did you have it drilled? I've been thinking of picking up one of those in a longer length for hog hunting and being able to add a light and an optic of some sort would be handy.

Don't let anyone call it mall ninja my friend, the modular design of Dan Wessons is what makes them so awesome.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:07 pm

My favorites would be my old "4-click" .357 Blackhawk that was my Christmas present when I was fifteen, and my Dad's WWII Ithica 1911A1 (first firearm I ever shot, when I was ten) that he gave me for my eighteenth birthday.

ETA: So, I guess I can blame my Old Man for why I have so many 1911s and single-action revolvers. :wink:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NapalmMan67

Post by NapalmMan67 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Fav overall is my New Service Colt in 45 I inherited from Grandpa.

Fav to shoot is anyone that's loaded when I'm on the line... really though, my Gen. 4 G19.

Always have a buddy and a backup plan!

landser

Post by landser » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:52 pm

S&W model 19, colt trooper mkIII, S&w 686
http://www.theprepperdude.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; your more than welcome to contribute an article if you wish

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:47 am

Star 30M. All steel goodness, good for about 200 rounds (or 100 +P) before it needed time to cool, but DAY-UMM was it accurate. Unfortunately it was sold before I could legally own it.

Sig 226 with compensator and extended competition everything in .357 Sig. Impractical for anything but a dedicated paper-blaster, but a sweet shooter. Also sold ten years before I could lay claim to it...
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

QuickDraw
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by QuickDraw » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:06 pm

For any serious duty use, Glock 17 Gen 4.

Favorite to shoot? Beretta 92FS.

And just because their hawt, my Browning Hi-power and Springfield Armory Mil-Spec.

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:09 pm

Been very impressed with my STI GP6 lately.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:52 am

ROCK6 wrote:Too many favorites for too many occasions!

I’ve always wanted a BHP, ever since I saw some SOF or other magazine article about a mercenary’s choice of sidearms…it was a BHP and a Seecamp. I picked up my BHP as my redeployment gift to myself from my first tour to Iraq. I added tritium night sights and Mitech G10 grips which make it melt in my hand:

ROCK6
Awesome , I like your style R6 ! 8-)

The BHP has been my favorite since I bought my first about 30 yrs ago . It was a WWII German military issue . I've owned dozens since but downsized to this Novak tuned model I sent them 15 yrs ago . Shown with my Crawford folder purchased about the same time .

And you did mention Seecamp ;)

"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

pdinphx

Post by pdinphx » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:40 pm

VinnieD wrote:
pdinphx wrote:Going through a revolver phase right now ...

Nice slab side shroud there. Did you get it from CZ-USA? Also did it come tapped for adding rails already, or did you have it drilled? I've been thinking of picking up one of those in a longer length for hog hunting and being able to add a light and an optic of some sort would be handy.

Don't let anyone call it mall ninja my friend, the modular design of Dan Wessons is what makes them so awesome.
Mall ninja, schmall ninja ... this is a regular carry gun and a semi-regular duty weapon. Heavy is as heavy does ... With both the C-More Railway and a Tasco ProPoint (MIJ), I can get reliable head shots - freehand - at 50 yards.

The EH shrouds do not come drilled and tapped, unfortunately.

You can buy these straight from EWK Arms, though they seem to have trouble keeping them in stock; they come in 2", 4", 6" and 8" lengths, complete with barrel, shroud and barrel nut.

And I agree ... the DW barrel system is da bomb.

PJ
Phoenix, AZ

Return to “Handguns”