RIA Match

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jimbo87

RIA Match

Post by Jimbo87 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:21 pm

I recently aquired an RIA match in 45, and am wondering what the general consensus is here about this as a shtf gun. I know all about the "Glock > all", but it just doesn't do it for me. I've tried the g17, the M&P 9mm, and an XD 45. Of all of those guns I enjoyed the XD the most, but none of them fit my hand the way the 1911 does.

The match has hand fitted parts and has pretty tight tolerances. The trigger pull is sweet, and I like the weight of the gun. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to shoot it yet, but that's coming soon. I plan on using this as my all around go to gun... I've got a small battery of others, but I want a do everything handgun.

Here's the problem. Every time I read about the RIA guns, somebody steps in and says that they'll break because they are cast and not forged, and a lot of parts are MIM, etc. This makes me concerned about it's long term reliability in a shtf situation. I actually traded the g17 for this gun, as retail is about the same and I wanted to move back to the 45 1911 platform. Any input would be awesome, as I'm really trying to work hard to arm my family for whatever may come down the line.

ultra magnus

Re: RIA Match

Post by ultra magnus » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 pm

RIA is a fine gun. There are guys with plenty of rounds down range on them. I have HEARD of RIA guns with 60,000+ rounds that didn't really have anything but springs replaced.

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:59 pm

RIA are very good guns especially for the money. Don't let the haters who spent $2,000 on an wilson combat ruin your day, they are elitists who get mad when a gun costing 75% will run just as good. I will take a RIA anyday over a Kimber/Para Ordnance.

Jimbo87

Post by Jimbo87 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:39 am

Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance here in both my decision to run not only a 1911 but an RIA 1911 for a shtf gun.

Baba Brad

Post by Baba Brad » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:46 am

I bought a RIA GI model this past Dec and so far have put about 500 rds through it. No complaints from me. Trigger is sweet, no problems feeding and the sights, though they may be small, are spot on.

Great bang for the buck.
1.S.1.K wrote: :twisted: ZS, It always comes back to sheep.

Jimbo87

Post by Jimbo87 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:01 pm

For some reason I always end up with my doubts about any of the guns that I own. I try to train and shoot as much as I can, but there's always something in the back of my mind telling me that it's not as good as a sig or some other more expensive gun. Am I the only one who gets those feelings?

Boogeyman
Favorite Zombie Movies: The evil dead trillogy, All of Romeroes stuff,

Post by Boogeyman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:31 pm

My first 1911 was a RIA. I bought it used but not abused. I have put about 800ish rounds through it. I have never had a problem with it. It takes all types of 1911 45 mags and feed all types of ammo including H.P. It is my understanding that RIA's are a Colt clone made on Colt machines and that the parts interchange. Next to my Colt series 80 the only differance is the color. the RIA being blued the Colt is stainless. The RIA is a solid gun and I have been contemplating buying one in 9mm for cheaper plinking and practice.
I'm a cereal killer. I Killed Tony, lucky Charms, and The Silly Rabbit.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:06 pm

I don't have the Match model, but I do own the GI Tactical. I haven't gotten a chance to get out to the range with it, but from all the reports I've read and heard, the guys at RIA know their stuff.

I plan on purchasing one of the longslide models when they become available again as well as one of the mid size models.
My only beef with the RIA guns is the finish wears off a bit too quickly, but that's a minor problem which can be solved with a can of DuraCoat.

And Boogeyman is correct, the RIA guns are Colt clones built on Colt machines in the Philippines.

Boogeyman

Post by Boogeyman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Mine is a GI model not the match.

jrswanson1

Post by jrswanson1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:16 pm

If you want an all around pistol, you got the wrong caliber :) With that out of my system, I picked up an RIA in bright nickel. I'm still looking for a set of pearl grips for it.

Boogeyman

Post by Boogeyman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:09 pm

Oh no! Not pearl grips. mine came with wood and pearlites with the gold Colt medallion in them. I put them on, my wife saw it, and claimed it as hers. She tells everyone its her 1911 :gonk:

Jimbo87

Post by Jimbo87 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:50 pm

I actually didn't know that these guns were built on Colt machinery, and I've researched the heck outta them. Awesome. Faith in this one is building. I actually love revolvers and own a Smith model 65, which would be my "do everything" gun, however the timing is off. I would probably hand my wife the 1911, and take the revolver for myself (if it worked), but I'm wondering if ammo and weapon consolidation would be a better route for a SHTF situation?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Jimbo87 wrote:I actually didn't know that these guns were built on Colt machinery, and I've researched the heck outta them. Awesome. Faith in this one is building. I actually love revolvers and own a Smith model 65, which would be my "do everything" gun, however the timing is off. I would probably hand my wife the 1911, and take the revolver for myself (if it worked), but I'm wondering if ammo and weapon consolidation would be a better route for a SHTF situation?
In a SHTF type scenario, I think it'd be a good idea for both of y'all to have a weapon that shared ammo and mags.

That's just my opinion. Others will probably feel differently.

Kabong30
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78, 28 Days Later (not strictly zombie?) WWZ when it comes out :)

Post by Kabong30 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Without doubt my RIA GI is the best $400 I've ever spent on a firearm related purchase. My 870 is a close second. I also had no idea that these were made on Colt machines and just makes me feel that much better about the gun. One other thing for those with the GI model, I had the stock grips on mine forever and recently picked up some inexpensive ($15) walnut grips with the old school checkering. That thing looks amazing with just that tiny little change.
"1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag" - Chris Costa
Sig_Ocelot wrote:Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

Jimbo87

Post by Jimbo87 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:34 pm

I had a GI model a while back. It was actually my first gun that I'd ever purchased, and i'd never had a problem with that shooter. I guess that I just had a stigma associated with the RI as being a cheap pistol that would eventually break. My new match is amazingly tight, and came stock with a set of double diamond checkered grips. Still haven't shot it :(, but I'll post a range report once I do!

rklessdriver

Post by rklessdriver » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Boogeyman wrote:It is my understanding that RIA's are a Colt clone made on Colt machines and that the parts interchange.
Not hardly. I don't know who told you that but your understanding is incorrect. COLT uses a forged frame and RIA has a cast frame. It's totally differenet process' that use totally different machinery. Nobody has COLT's machinery except... Some old machinery (that COLT used in WWI and was owned by the US Govt) was shipped down to Argentina in the 1930's (which the Sistemas were built on).... It was probally near the end of it's useful life at the time it was sent down there.

The RIA and lot of the other filipina 1911 clones are made on machinery owned by Armscor.

RIA makes a good entry level 1911 pattern gun. It really is a good gun and you get a lot for your money but it's not a COLT and honestly it's not even comparable to a COLT. The COLT forged frame and bar stock small parts make a world of difference in quality. That and the US union labor force is why the basic COLT cost $750 and the RIA cost $450.

The parts can interchange, (minus some of the 80 series FC parts) with some hand fitting- which is normal for all 1911 pattern guns. So you can easily upgrade the MIM parts in the RIA if you want.

Its not my intention to cut down the RIA or people that own them. I just want to clear up some erronous info and I want you to educate yourselves about the diffences and why they are important.

FRAME -
CAST = Cheap to mfgr and good enough for the job (probally last your lifetime).
FORGED = Expensive to mfgr and wll last several lifetimes.

SMALL PARTS -
MIM = Cheap to mfgr, cheap to replace when they break and usually good enough for the job.
BAR STOCK = Expensive to mfgr and generally the best quality since they are fully machined.
RIA are very good guns especially for the money. Don't let the haters who spent $2,000 on an wilson combat ruin your day, they are elitists who get mad when a gun costing 75% will run just as good. I will take a RIA anyday over a Kimber/Para Ordnance.
Most people who buy a Wilson Combat, Baer, Ed Brown ect 1911 want the best. They want hand fitted, the guaranteed best materials and best construction they can get. Most are not trying to be elitest or better than anyone, they simply want the best chance of having a gun that runs when they need it to. I personally don't care what anyone else buys and carry's. Cast frames and MIM parts don't cut the mustard, when you buy a gun using these standards . They are more failure prone no matter how you add it up. If you can live with putting your life on the line with them, then more power to you.

If you've really convinced yourself that your RIA is just as good or shoots just as good as a WC or the like, you need to take a hard look around and see:

How many RIA's are standing on the line at Camp Perry? (NONE)

How many professionals packing an RIA? (CLINT SMITH oh yea thats right he carry's Baer, S&W and COLT, Masad Ahoob oh yea he carry's WC)

How many RIA come with an accuracy guarantee? (NONE)

How many profession custom gun builders will even work on an RIA? (NONE)

Not bashing - Just telling it like it is. RIA is a good entry level gun. It's not a COLT, it's not a WC and it can't ever be as good as either.
Will

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:24 pm

I might have been mistaken when I posted that the RIA guns were built on Colt machinery.

Still, they are pretty good guns for the money. Any gun can fail, no matter if it's a 3,000 dollar Ed Brown 1911 or a 450 dollar RIA 1911. It all boils down to a matter of personal preference.

As for no professional gunsmiths working on RIA guns, STI and a few others will work on RIA guns.

Jimbo87

Post by Jimbo87 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:02 pm

It's that kind of mentality that I just can't get over... This gun is supposed to be my shtf gun, one that I'd bet the lives of myself and my family on. I don't have the funds for a Colt or a more expensive gun, and I am a fan of the 1911 and 45 acp platform. My favorite gun is actually a Smith and Wesson Model 65, but the timing and lockup is off and it requires a gunsmith to fix, which worries me about a revolver in a long term shtf situation.... now what?

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Jimbo87 wrote:It's that kind of mentality that I just can't get over... This gun is supposed to be my shtf gun, one that I'd bet the lives of myself and my family on. I don't have the funds for a Colt or a more expensive gun, and I am a fan of the 1911 and 45 acp platform. My favorite gun is actually a Smith and Wesson Model 65, but the timing and lockup is off and it requires a gunsmith to fix, which worries me about a revolver in a long term shtf situation.... now what?
Price does not equate to quality. I can go buy a CZ-82 for $200 and it is an excellent firearm, but it was made well using cheap labor, just as the Rock Island guns are.

If you bought a Hi-point or Kel-tec then maybe you would have some concern, but the RIA is a solid gun.

blackjack32
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks later

Post by blackjack32 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:28 pm

i bought my very first 1911 (RIA GI model)in early 2007 and ran 5000 rds of remington UMC ammo in 6months through it and never had a single malfunction with it. For 448.00 i couldnt have asked for more. Then i linked up with a good friend of mine that had a Kimber TLE and he told me he would give me 200.00 to throw that bitch in the river. of course i didnt do it but i did buy a kimber desert warrior and i found myself shooting that more and more because not only did it NOT leave a huge cut on my hand every time i fired more than 100rds through it, but it was more accurate, it had a light rail, i could control it better during rapid fire, better sights, ect. The kimber introduced me to everything that could possibly go wrong with a 1911. FTF, failure to return to battery, ect. After about 1000 rds and a block of instruction on how to properly lube a 1911, that kimber ran like a dream come true. fast forward to 2010 and 6000 rds later, i sold it to a friend of mine and i bought a Springfield Lightwieght Operator and it is still in service to this day. My bottom line is going to echo what everyone else has already said. the difference is the way its made. RIA is a good way to start out but dont expect it to last forever. Kimber is a good step in the right direction with Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Ed Brown being the end result if your a die hard 1911 guy.

ncpatrolar
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)

Post by ncpatrolar » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:40 pm

gelgoog wrote:, they are elitists who get mad when a gun costing 75% will run just as good.
Not even close to being the case. My training company has 3 RIA 1911s and each one has problems while our other 1911s dont.

1. The rear sight on one pistol was cut unevenly. The right side of the notch was approx 1/16" higher than the left

2. Another gun had a front sight dovetail milled at an angle

3. Another gun, once detailed stripped, had to have the sear spring replaced becasue the factory spring was built to the wrong dimensions and wouldnt seat properly.

4. The ignition parts in all 3 guns were made of low quality metal and were promptly replaced.

The RIA guns are good range toys but I wouldnt carry one for serious work unless it had had some worked done to it.

One plus (for some) is that the ambi-safety designed used by RIA is the tongue-in-groove design that tends to be more robust than the normally used method.
Lead Instructor for Defensive Concepts North Carolina

Vickers Shooting Method Regional Endorsed Instructor

http://www.defensiveconceptsnc.com

Now offering a training discount for all ZS members

Jimbo87

Post by Jimbo87 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:13 am

Were those 3 RIA tacticals? Just wondering because my Match model is a pretty nice shooter... In fact I can't seem to find anything wrong with it. It shoots like a dream now and I'm already thinking of buying another 1911 so's the wife and I can have the same type of gun... maybe I'll look into a SA mil spec, but for the money the Match seems pretty legit.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:06 am

I'm a Bravo class shooter. Last USPSA match, I shot 86%(2nd out of about 15 I think) of the GM shooter. I was using my RIA and he had his STI (not a Spartan). Seriously, the GM is damned amazing to watch shoot.

I have the Tactical in 9mm. I had some shit done to it...
...Nowlin 1911 trigger job, a Wilson drop in magwell, Wilson Trigger, Wilson bushing, VZ grips, Brazen front sight, Nowlin firing pin retainer plate, Nowlin extractor. I also use all Tripp Research mags in it and they're great. It helps when one of your friends is a 1911 smith and can not only fit stuff, but taylor it to exactly how you want it to perform.

My RIA had a problem extrtracting at first. I fixed this by using Kleenbore Lead-away cloth in the chamber. This only happened while shooting matches so it was probably "match nerves".

I really really like mine.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

ncpatrolar
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)

Post by ncpatrolar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:03 am

Jimbo87 wrote:Were those 3 RIA tacticals?

Yep. All three are Tacticals in .45
Lead Instructor for Defensive Concepts North Carolina

Vickers Shooting Method Regional Endorsed Instructor

http://www.defensiveconceptsnc.com

Now offering a training discount for all ZS members

Return to “Handguns”