Help me decide.

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Morphace
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Re: Help me decide.

Post by Morphace » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:45 am

Wrangler wrote:It is really the OPs fault for posting this in the Glock forum.
Damn it! I didn't mean to put this in the Glock forum... lol I was looking for the "Tell me how much better your gun is than mine" forum.

On a serious note, thank you to those who actually gave me some good info.
XboxLive: OctaynOne XboxLive Clan: C.U.R.S.E.D. [CRSD] http://c-u-r-s-e-d.darkbb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:45 am

Morphace, Ok so I can say Im sorry for not exactly knowing your experience with guns, I was under the impression that this was a limited type of purchase and would be an 'only firearm type of deal'. I was wrong. And everyone is correct I didnt even need to post in here as the choices were 'which flavor of XD' not 'XD or Glock'. Sorry I'll pay more attention to actual content, everyone wears big boy pants so they have to live with their decisions

Macon I never claimed to be Mr. Hotshit with a pistol (although it may have come across that way I see that). I sure as hell wasnt saying that to make it sound like I was tooting my own horn, in fact I believe humility is a desireable trait I try to cultivate when I can. I was stating to the OP that eventually with enough trigger time and critical review from superior shooters you reach a point where the 'feel of the gun' becomes less important than performance of a platform. Yes I too have things I enjoy shooting cause they just feel good ergonomically. Maybe I cant shoot your pistols better than you can but thats not exactly what I was claiming, sorry if you took that personally (although it sounds like a fun range challenge)

The big reason I posted what I did was I see so many people get on board with one platform, nothing wrong with that, get good with it. But I also see a lot of those type of people reach a point where they say OMG I cant shoot anyting but XYZ type of gun. My hope was that someone else doesnt do the same thing is all.

And for the Glock comments... I was a Glock hater, I would never own one of those ugly pieces of non- ergonomic grip angle pieces of plastic... it was CZ SP-01 for me, the end all... then I started shooting other guns heavily in competition and that changed. Mechanically there are a few important things that I find Glocks to be superior in compared to the OP's XD choice, I was trying to reference another common plastic gun, maybe I should have gone the M&P route instead of the Glock route.
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

Morphace

Post by Morphace » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:17 am

Tommy, don't sweat it man, we're just bustin' your balls man.

I will be buying more guns this is an only purchase for right now. I have priorities that money has to go to so I have to slowly build up my gun collection as monetary situations allow.

One of my favorite guns is my dad’s Kahr 9mm, 3” barrel. I did a bowling pin competition with that little gun and it was accurate as hell. Could I shoot it? Hell yeah I could (made it to the second round of the competition with it, lost because the spring was super tight on the slide and I couldn’t lock it back on the second round before the other guy finished. Hell the state trooper judge couldn’t even lock it back)! Would I like it? Hell yeah I would! Does it fit? No, I want something a little bigger in my hand. I’m not going to get one because it’s just too small for my hands.

So I do have some shooting experience, I just wasn’t boasting about it. There are others here that are far superior shooters than I am and my little experience pales in comparison.

On a side note my dad replaced the spring shortly after that and it made the gun even better. And to make a short list I’ve shot Sig, Glock, Ruger, Tauras, S&W, SA, Kahr and a few others, in 9, .40, .45, .357, .44. I’ve shot both pistols and revolvers. I’m not a perfect shot, I’m an adequate shot. I could hit center mass in 3-4” groups maybe 5" with most of those guns. I plan on getting better with the pistol I go with.
XboxLive: OctaynOne XboxLive Clan: C.U.R.S.E.D. [CRSD] http://c-u-r-s-e-d.darkbb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:44 am

I'm following you now. I didn't take it personal, I just don't like broad claims like that, but now that you've clarified it, it makes more sense. I easily agree with the idea that more trigger time makes you a better shooter. I also agree that one size does not fit all, which is why I always suggest a guy/girl to go handle several types, rent all the ones they're interested in, and pick the one that works best for them. The best way for anyone to get trigger time is for them to enjoy what they're shooting.

And yes, that would be a great range game. :P

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:45 pm

I just have a severe aversion to be 'that guy' lol.

and Morphace if you start a thread about holsters put my vote down for Comptac for carry and Bladetech for competition!

Macon, I used to go desert shooting with buddies regularly in addition to weekly matches, I miss the games we would make up to really stretch our pistol skills out there...
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:10 pm

Morphace wrote: A lot of people are Glock people. I am not one of them. I don't. And by that I don't mean to say I think they are in any way an inferior handgun, (actually I think they are a very good handgun) it's simply a preference. I don't care for the way they feel in my hands while holding them or shooting them.
I understand what you're saying. I CC'd a G22 for about five years. It was an excellent shooter. 100 yard center-mass hits were childs play. But I had one major problem: I had trouble getting a firm firing grip from a concealed carry draw.

I tried all kinds of holsters, forward cants, neutral cants, I even modded a couple of holsters to have a slightly rearward cant. :shock:

But while practicing, in about a third to half of my draws, I was having to "adjust" my grip as I brought it up on target.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Morphace

Post by Morphace » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:36 pm

For all you Glock lovers out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAvYQSsGdMw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BoxingGandhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BoxingGandhi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:05 am

Morphace wrote:I will be buying more guns this is an only purchase for right now. I have priorities that money has to go to so I have to slowly build up my gun collection as monetary situations allow.
When you get to the point where you are looking at other handguns I also own and like the Sig 229 which feels great to shoot and the S&W 38 bodyguard. I have the bodyguard with the laser sight and it is only 15 oz (quite a bit lighter than my xd sc at 26 oz). In Arizona much of the year is shorts weather and it makes a light and reliable back-up that is really easy to conceal with summer attire. The Sig is spendy but worth it. The bodyguard isn't as fun or comfortable to shoot, but the price point is amazing and it is nice knowing it is there. Just my .02.
Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito
-Virgil

Morphace

Post by Morphace » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:42 am

Well I just turned in my paper work and $$ for my CPL. Now just a 30 day wait and I should be legal to carry. Next I'm off to get my pistol.

Morphace

Post by Morphace » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:53 am

Ok new question. Everything I've been reading suggests that the standard leather belt I bought from Target won't be enough to hold my concealed carry and that I should purchase a belt better suited for this. So what belts do you all like for holding up your pants and carrying your concealed weapon?

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:20 am

Morphace

Post by Morphace » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:40 am

Thank you. I don't know how I missed that thread.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:12 pm

Morphace wrote:Ok new question. Everything I've been reading suggests that the standard leather belt I bought from Target won't be enough to hold my concealed carry and that I should purchase a belt better suited for this. So what belts do you all like for holding up your pants and carrying your concealed weapon?
It depends on the holster you use. A standard leather belt works fine for me if I carry IWB.

Paul J
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Romero movies. Others tend to pale in comparison.

Post by Paul J » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Tommy Tran wrote:Morphace, Ok so I can say Im sorry for not exactly knowing your experience with guns, I was under the impression that this was a limited type of purchase and would be an 'only firearm type of deal'. I was wrong. And everyone is correct I didnt even need to post in here as the choices were 'which flavor of XD' not 'XD or Glock'. Sorry I'll pay more attention to actual content, everyone wears big boy pants so they have to live with their decisions

Macon I never claimed to be Mr. Hotshit with a pistol (although it may have come across that way I see that). I sure as hell wasnt saying that to make it sound like I was tooting my own horn, in fact I believe humility is a desireable trait I try to cultivate when I can. I was stating to the OP that eventually with enough trigger time and critical review from superior shooters you reach a point where the 'feel of the gun' becomes less important than performance of a platform. Yes I too have things I enjoy shooting cause they just feel good ergonomically. Maybe I cant shoot your pistols better than you can but thats not exactly what I was claiming, sorry if you took that personally (although it sounds like a fun range challenge)

The big reason I posted what I did was I see so many people get on board with one platform, nothing wrong with that, get good with it. But I also see a lot of those type of people reach a point where they say OMG I cant shoot anyting but XYZ type of gun. My hope was that someone else doesnt do the same thing is all.

And for the Glock comments... I was a Glock hater, I would never own one of those ugly pieces of non- ergonomic grip angle pieces of plastic... it was CZ SP-01 for me, the end all... then I started shooting other guns heavily in competition and that changed. Mechanically there are a few important things that I find Glocks to be superior in compared to the OP's XD choice, I was trying to reference another common plastic gun, maybe I should have gone the M&P route instead of the Glock route.

Dude, when i read your original post I thought "holyshit this guy gets it" ecspecialy the part about picking something the pros use and training with it.and fuck how it "feels". But I have to tell you that you are fighting a losing battle, a lot of people don't want to hear it. Good on ya sir. BTW check out Matt Es sig line( prettymuch sums up the latter half of this thread.)
My M4 kills bugs dead

Return to “Handguns”