Painting or coating old Beretta mags - Bad?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
Zombies And SlimJims
* * *
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
Night of the Living Dead
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Dawn of the Dead
Location: Southington, CT
Contact:

Painting or coating old Beretta mags - Bad?

Post by Zombies And SlimJims » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:39 am

I got a huge deal on a bunch of scuffed up Beretta 92 magazines, a total of 25. I've read about people painting their AR15 magazines, but those are mostly contained outside of the weapon unlike with a pistol. Aside from being pointless since they wouldn't be seen while in the gun, would it be bad to paint them? I mean, would I risk damaging the Beretta itself if paint were to chip off while the mags are loaded?

Aside from just paint, the newer beretta mags are coated as wall, is that something I'd be able to do to my beat up ones?

And finally, they're all missing the hard plastic piece at the very bottom of the mag, again, nothing that effects function..but is there anywhere that sells just the plastic pieces?

Thanks!
ZaSJ

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Image

pelab
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:02 pm

Painting or coating old Beretta mags - Bad?

Post by pelab » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:47 am

Berettausa.com sells the bottom mag plate the rubber ones are 6 bucks I like those. I have cleaned mine up and then dipped them and baked in the oven on 200 degrees to dry them and they function fine

Zombies And SlimJims
* * *
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
Night of the Living Dead
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Dawn of the Dead
Location: Southington, CT
Contact:

Re: Re: Painting or coating old Beretta mags - Bad?

Post by Zombies And SlimJims » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:50 am

pelab wrote:Berettausa.com sells the bottom mag plate the rubber ones are 6 bucks I like those. I have cleaned mine up and then dipped them and baked in the oven on 200 degrees to dry them and they function fine
Awesome! Thanks! What exactly do you dip them in? With the springs still in?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Image

pelab
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:02 pm

Painting or coating old Beretta mags - Bad?

Post by pelab » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:08 am

Take the springs out just bake the metal housing gimme a sec ill find you a link

Zombies And SlimJims
* * *
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
Night of the Living Dead
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Dawn of the Dead
Location: Southington, CT
Contact:

Re: Painting or coating old Beretta mags - Bad?

Post by Zombies And SlimJims » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks, you rock! Sorry, I'm new to this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15976
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Painting or coating old Beretta mags - Bad?

Post by Dave_M » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:24 pm

You can run into some tolerance issues. I'd recommend bead blasting them first and using one of the thinner, tougher coatings. Several different baking options out there.
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Zombies And SlimJims
* * *
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
Night of the Living Dead
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Dawn of the Dead
Location: Southington, CT
Contact:

Re: Painting or coating old Beretta mags - Bad?

Post by Zombies And SlimJims » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:40 pm

Dave_M wrote:You can run into some tolerance issues. I'd recommend bead blasting them first and using one of the thinner, tougher coatings. Several different baking options out there.
Great! Thanks for the tips!
Image

Zombies And SlimJims
* * *
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
Night of the Living Dead
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Dawn of the Dead
Location: Southington, CT
Contact:

Re: Painting or coating old Beretta mags - Bad?

Post by Zombies And SlimJims » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 pm

I've been looking around, and can't really come up with any solid info. From what I've seen, Gun-Kote seems to be one of the easier ways finishes, and seems to work pretty well. I'm not worried about using the oven, and I really like the idea that it's spray can. What I'm looking for though is a coating like I have on my Beretta mags that came with the gun...they're coated in something that makes them really smooth. Does anyone know what I could use for this?
Image

rklessdriver
*
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:27 pm
Location: NOVA

Re: Painting or coating old Beretta mags - Bad?

Post by rklessdriver » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:05 pm

Back in 1997 I bought a well used Beretta 92FS police trade in. The pistol and 2 mags were pretty beat up and worn looking on the outside.....

I detail stripped the slide, stripped the mags to the tubes, then sand blasted everything and coated everything with Brownells Tefelon Moly. I did bake them in the oven according to the directions.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1145 ... GUN-FINISH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That gun looks nicer today than it did when I bought it.

I'm sure there are some better wearing DYI finishes out there today but I'm pleased with how well it's held up.
Will

Zombies And SlimJims
* * *
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
Night of the Living Dead
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Dawn of the Dead
Location: Southington, CT
Contact:

Re: Painting or coating old Beretta mags - Bad?

Post by Zombies And SlimJims » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:20 pm

rklessdriver wrote:Back in 1997 I bought a well used Beretta 92FS police trade in. The pistol and 2 mags were pretty beat up and worn looking on the outside.....

I detail stripped the slide, stripped the mags to the tubes, then sand blasted everything and coated everything with Brownells Tefelon Moly. I did bake them in the oven according to the directions.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1145 ... GUN-FINISH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That gun looks nicer today than it did when I bought it.

I'm sure there are some better wearing DYI finishes out there today but I'm pleased with how well it's held up.
Will
Awesome! Thanks a lot! Did a single can of that get you pretty far? I have 25 mags..I would think a can or 2 should be okay?
Image

rklessdriver
*
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:27 pm
Location: NOVA

Re: Painting or coating old Beretta mags - Bad?

Post by rklessdriver » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:09 pm

Zombies And SlimJims wrote: Awesome! Thanks a lot! Did a single can of that get you pretty far? I have 25 mags..I would think a can or 2 should be okay?
I did few projects with that can and still had about 1/4 can left over. It really depends on how many coats you spray. I think I used 2-3 coats (spray & let dry = 1 coat) on the slides and magazines.

1. Beretta 92FS top end and 2 mags.
2. SIG P226 top end and 4 mags.
3. GEN I Glock 17 top end.
4. Set of 8 SBC connecting rods.

With 25 mags to spray I'd buy 2 cans. You can always use the extra on other stuff if you like they way the mags turn out.
Will

Post Reply

Return to “Handguns”