Master Piece Arms 5.7x28 Pistol

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Master Piece Arms 5.7x28 Pistol

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:49 pm

https://www.masterpiecearms.com/proddet ... d=MPA57sst" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know nothing about other than it's $600.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

northernxposure

Re: Master Piece Arms 5.7x28 Pistol

Post by northernxposure » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Too much for a MAC clone, IMO.

NXP

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:03 pm

Regular Guy wrote: I know nothing about other than it's $600.
And it looks straight out of the 80's :lol:
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:22 am

KentsOkay wrote:
Regular Guy wrote: I know nothing about other than it's $600.
And it looks straight out of the 80's :lol:

Does it go well with a Members Only jacket then?
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

Grocerystore_ninja

Post by Grocerystore_ninja » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:46 pm

I would rather have my fiveseven any day of the week. the beauty of the five seven round is the is not a lot of weight or bulk.

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:27 pm

Oh, shit! I'm getting one asap. It's as close to an MP7 as I'll ever get and it's 5.7x28mm. Man, If they mad a Lage-Like upper for it I would be in heaven.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:12 pm

TerryGecko wrote:Oh, shit! I'm getting one asap. It's as close to an MP7 as I'll ever get and it's 5.7x28mm. Man, If they mad a Lage-Like upper for it I would be in heaven.
I found a vid on it.

It 'appears' reliable and uses Promag 57 mag or original 57 mags. As a PDW SBR this may have legs, IMO. With the +10 extensions, 30 rds on tap with a red dot and a side folder, tits.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

spyderco monkey
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by spyderco monkey » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:51 am

If it had an 8" barrel it would be interesting, as that would boost velocity +++

Curious to see how a their carbine looks.

As is? Looks fun, but not particularly functional compared to the 5-7 pistol.

MAC style collapsible wire stock, mini-red dot, and a nylon forward strap/grip w/ 8" barrel, now we're talking. Still would take the MP9 in 6.5CBJ though if we're talking fantasy, however.
“Few will understand me, but I write for the connoisseurs, trusting that they will not be offended by the confidence of my opinions.” Field Marshal Maurice Comte de Saxe, My Reveries, 1732

For honest, in-depth gear reviews, please visit:
http://www.good-kit.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jt526

Post by jt526 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:12 am

Can't do a mac style, internals wont allow for it. Sidefolder would work

doc66

Post by doc66 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:02 am

Why?

Listen, I like pistols as much as the next guy, but since I have a MAC 10 I can say, why in Gods name would you want a semi auto that looks like a MAC in a caliber that we can't use effectively as a civilian? It seems to be taking the worst of both situations and making them, well, worse. It doesn't even have a bolt hold open on the last round fired. (And the shooter is fucking cup and saucering that bitch! Really? Seriously? I find it hard to take someone seriously when they can't even get a modern grip on a firearm they are trying to tout as some thing everyone should want.)

They are trying to build a semi auto that they hope can be taken and used as a platform for a PDW alternative to the FN P90. I wish them luck in that.

If you are serious about a defensive firearm, this ain't it, if you want a $600 toy, then have at it.

There. That's my rant.
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:37 am

doc66 wrote:Why?

Listen, I like pistols as much as the next guy, but since I have a MAC 10 I can say, why in Gods name would you want a semi auto that looks like a MAC in a caliber that we can't use effectively as a civilian? It seems to be taking the worst of both situations and making them, well, worse. It doesn't even have a bolt hold open on the last round fired. (And the shooter is fucking cup and saucering that bitch! Really? Seriously? I find it hard to take someone seriously when they can't even get a modern grip on a firearm they are trying to tout as some thing everyone should want.)

They are trying to build a semi auto that they hope can be taken and used as a platform for a PDW alternative to the FN P90. I wish them luck in that.

If you are serious about a defensive firearm, this ain't it, if you want a $600 toy, then have at it.

There. That's my rant.

Yeah, please don't take this as me saying this is the be all, end all. I think it's cool just like I think the MAC is cool. I certainly not promoting it as a self defense weapon or an alternative to the AR-15.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:48 am

Got ya! :D
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:24 pm

I have been painstakingly looking for an mp5k/tp9-size firearm that shoots 5.7x28mm to sbr. I've looked at AR57's, Excel Arms, even buying a CAA Roni and modifying it to accept my FsN. Something smaller than an sbr PS90. This may just be what I've been looking for. Like Regular Guy said, put a mini red dot, a folding stock, vfg, and some S4M and this would a nice little PDW. Not very pretty but effective imo.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

Zombland

Post by Zombland » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:30 pm

I'd sure like to know someone who had one. :D Just like with swimming pools, boats, hunting dogs, and pool tables. :lol:

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:28 am

If it took the ps90 mag I would be impressed. Top load and mag well eject.

All it SHOULD take is a new upper for the regular MAC-10.

I do remember they made a Callico upper in 9mm and .22lr.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:26 am

I know this may not have any bearing on the mechanical functionality of that . . . thing, but if you're gonna call your company "Masterpiece Arms," shouldn't you at least make a cursory effort to design a visually appealing product? Or at least one that isn't ugly as homemade sin?
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

tarafore

Post by tarafore » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:34 pm

Chef wrote:I know this may not have any bearing on the mechanical functionality of that . . . thing, but if you're gonna call your company "Masterpiece Arms," shouldn't you at least make a cursory effort to design a visually appealing product? Or at least one that isn't ugly as homemade sin?
Agreed, If I'm gonna pay $600 for something that ugly, it better be a CAR...

... or an AK ...

:mrgreen:

Domino

Post by Domino » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:02 am

Eh, I'm not a fan of MAC's in any caliber because they are always just bigger, heavier, and less accurate than a regular pistol in the same caliber. If you really need a weapon smaller than a SBR P90 you might as well just stick with the Five Seven Pistol. Even with a folding stock and a red dot its not going to be any more effective than the Five Seven, it will just be a little easier to shoot at longer distances (>75 yards) with. Distances in which the 5.7X28 round won't be all that effective I might add.

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:23 pm

Why would you say a 5.7x28mm projectile isn't effective at 75 yards? They are effective well beyond 75 yards, especially if you can shoulder the weapon.

I am completely comfortable shooting my FsN at far distances. I have just been wanting something Uzi-size that shoots 5.7x28mm for a while. If S did HTF, I would always grab my PS90 first but this could be a very effective tool in my tool box.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:22 am

MacAttack wrote:If it took the ps90 mag I would be impressed. Top load and mag well eject.

All it SHOULD take is a new upper for the regular MAC-10.

I do remember they made a Callico upper in 9mm and .22lr.

I just realized last night why it couldn't just be a new upper for a ps90 conversion. The rear sight on the MAC sticks up over the upper. It would have to be cut off. But if you wanted it could be done.

Domino

Post by Domino » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:31 am

TerryGecko wrote:Why would you say a 5.7x28mm projectile isn't effective at 75 yards? They are effective well beyond 75 yards, especially if you can shoulder the weapon.

I am completely comfortable shooting my FsN at far distances. I have just been wanting something Uzi-size that shoots 5.7x28mm for a while. If S did HTF, I would always grab my PS90 first but this could be a very effective tool in my tool box.
Well effective on what exactly are you talking about? Varmints? I was talking about self-defense.

For Humans? Out of a five seven pistol? Then I would generally say that yes, 100 meters would be about the max effective range. Sure the round can penetrate out to much further but it just doesn't have much umph (particularly out of a pistol) past that range to reliably incapacitate a hostile target unlike say a .45 ACP. Small fast bullets typically lose energy and velocity much faster than big heavy bullets. Basically, you have to rely much more on precise shot placement which will be very difficult to execute with even with a shouldered pistol. You say BS? Well I say that if you are trying to engage hostile targets at 100+ Meters with a five seven or similar weapon than you are playing a losing game. Get a rifle and move on.

FWIW, I have no direct experience with the Five Seven pistol and I hear great things about them. But I do have a lot with a .22 WMR rifle and the performance between the two is actually quite similar. In my experience it would be plenty deadly on humans out to 75 yards but I wouldn't wage a bet on being able to reliably take anything bigger than say a coyote at 150 Meters even with a well placed shot. In the end, its all about getting the right tool for the job rather than just getting neat tools and I just don't agree that a weapon like this would be very practical when there are so many better choices available.

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:42 am

Domino wrote:
TerryGecko wrote:Why would you say a 5.7x28mm projectile isn't effective at 75 yards? They are effective well beyond 75 yards, especially if you can shoulder the weapon.

Well effective on what exactly are you talking about? Varmints? I was talking about self-defense.

For Humans? Out of a five seven pistol? Then I would generally say that yes, 100 meters would be about the max effective range. Sure the round can penetrate out to much further but it just doesn't have much umph (particularly out of a pistol) past that range to reliably incapacitate a hostile target unlike say a .45 ACP. Small fast bullets typically lose energy and velocity much faster than big heavy bullets. Basically, you have to rely much more on precise shot placement which will be very difficult to execute with even with a shouldered pistol. You say BS? Well I say that if you are trying to engage hostile targets at 100+ Meters with a five seven or similar weapon than you are playing a losing game. Get a rifle and move on.

FWIW, I have no direct experience with the Five Seven pistol and I hear great things about them. But I do have a lot with a .22 WMR rifle and the performance between the two is actually quite similar. In my experience it would be plenty deadly on humans out to 75 yards but I wouldn't wage a bet on being able to reliably take anything bigger than say a coyote at 150 Meters even with a well placed shot. In the end, its all about getting the right tool for the job rather than just getting neat tools and I just don't agree that a weapon like this would be very practical when there are so many better choices available.

Yeah, I'm talking about terminal performance. There are very few reasons to engage someone at that range with a pistol but they are plenty effective to 100 meters.

I'm sure you seen the test that we performed comparing 5.7x28mm to 22magnum. We found that they aren't very similar.

Anyhow, I'm not turning this into a 5.7x28mm debate thread or a 5.7 vs 22mag thread. To each his own. I can't wait to pick one of these MPA's up. If only someone out make an MP7 dress up kit for it lol.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

Domino

Post by Domino » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:58 pm

TerryGecko wrote:
Yeah, I'm talking about terminal performance. There are very few reasons to engage someone at that range with a pistol but they are plenty effective to 100 meters.

I'm sure you seen the test that we performed comparing 5.7x28mm to 22magnum. We found that they aren't very similar.

Anyhow, I'm not turning this into a 5.7x28mm debate thread or a 5.7 vs 22mag thread. To each his own. I can't wait to pick one of these MPA's up. If only someone out make an MP7 dress up kit for it lol.
I'm not interested in "Debate Thread" but I will point out the facts regarding these cartridges. For one, I was referring to comparing the .22 WMR out of a rifle and 5.7X28 out of a SBR or pistol. When you compare the .22 WMR 30g HP @ 2,200 FPS out of a 24" barrel and the 5.7X28 31g SS190 @2,350 FPS out of a 10.5" barrel then YES they are VERY comparable. So close in fact that it would be very difficult to tell the difference downrange. The obvious advantages of the 5.7X28 over the .22 WMR are that it is centerfire, uses superior bullet construction, and it maintains its velocity in shorter barrels better. Other than that the 5.7X28 isn't really anything other than a weakened .22 Hornet auto rim when it comes down to it. The .22 Hornet bridges the gap nicely between the .22 WMR and the .223 Remington. So it would be fair to say that the 5.7X28 bridges the gap between the .22 WMR and the .22 Hornet. Also, its worth mentioning that the .223 produces very similar velocities to the five seven pistol with a 6-7" barrel and it is NOT considered by most to be a particularly effective combination past 100 meters so I stand FIRMLY by my original assessment.

In conclusion I do believe it is fair to say that the .22 WMR is pretty comparable to the 5.7X28 in terms of overall ballistics. Yes the 5.7X28 is more powerful but not by a particularly huge amount and I think it would be a mistake to say that they "aren't very similar" because in the big scheme of things they really are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Winche ... um_Rimfire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_5.7%C3%9728mm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/223rifle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Protip: Terry Gecko is an unabashed 5.7 fan boy. There's nothing at all wrong with that.

I still think it's fugly. If I was going to spend the money on an SBR, it's be for this with a folding ACE stock.

NXP

Return to “Handguns”