Range report of new (to me) SW Model 64-3

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Range report of new (to me) SW Model 64-3

Post by AS556 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:15 pm

I posted recently about my first pistol purchase,a SW Mod. 64-3 with Pachmyer grips and a 3 inch heavy barrel.Today I got it out to my local range to try it out.Test ammunition was Remington 130 grain MC .38 from walmart and Winchester 125 grain JHP in .38 +.The gun as you can guess functioned flawlessly in every regard, but I did not score many solid hits despite my best efforts and I honestly am a pretty decent shot with rifles,shotguns and semi automatic handguns.I am pretty sure this is an issue with the shooter not the weapon itself because as I gained a feel for the gun and practiced my trigger pull my groups went from horrific to decent.I was shooting at an 8x11 piece of computer paper with a smaller circle inside a larger one (I'm too cheap to buy targets lol) at 30 feet.Also I heard that 158 gr rounds in .38 hit at point of aim but I do not know,could this be a factor?Anybody have any tips for a new revolver shooter?It's harder than it looks.Accuracy was much better in single action making me think its not the weapon but my trigger pull also.

Chris_Carroll

Re: Range report of new (to me) SW Model 64-3

Post by Chris_Carroll » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:38 pm

Dry-firing is your friend...

parabarbarian

Post by parabarbarian » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Chris_Carroll wrote:Dry-firing is your friend...
Good form will help too -- Perfect practice makes perfect.

These might help.

http://www.myoutdoortv.com/shooting/sho ... olver-grip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/11/11/t ... grip_0925/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of course I carry a gun! It gives me a chance against the sinners and protection from the righteous.

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Read this thread I wrote on the basics of pistol shooting and a drill you can do at the range. Follow the directions closely, it is very specific for good reason.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=50688" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The DA revolver trigger is the hardest to master. Once you can shoot that well, you can shoot anything well.
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

crystal river charlie
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead

Post by crystal river charlie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:09 pm

Trebor wrote:Read this thread I wrote on the basics of pistol shooting and a drill you can do at the range. Follow the directions closely, it is very specific for good reason.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=50688" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The DA revolver trigger is the hardest to master. Once you can shoot that well, you can shoot anything well.
Amen brother!
Ne Ver', Ne Boisya, Ne Prosi - Which means - Don't trust, Don't fear, Don't beg.
Ja, ich habe meine Papiere.

zengunfighter

Post by zengunfighter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm

dry fire. as stated above. you need to build up the muscles in finger/hand/wrist.
pull the trigger as fast as you can for as long as you can, until you get the 'burn' every night for a month.

Once you have the muscles built up, you can Deliberatly pull the trigger with good Control.

Also, you will be doing a 'trigger job' on your pistol while you are doing this.

Of course, practice/follow all safety guidelines for safe dryfiring. (Empty gun, pointed at a place you can safely discharge a round if you screw up, no ammo in the room with you, when you are done, say so out loud. Most 'problems' from dryfiring come afterwards, when the pistol is reloaded and then the decision is made to do 'just one more'...)

Don't worry too much about point of impact at this point. worry about making small groups. I'd also practice pretty close at first. 1" targets at 3-5 yards. as soon as you are making one ragged hole with 6 shots, THEN move back a little. That pistol should shoot into 2" at 25 yards. Work to get to the point that you can shoot up to the gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB5db-veDdc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Disciplina Remunenor Fidelis!

http://www.youtube.com/vigunfighter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dexion1619

Post by Dexion1619 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Great pistol! As someone who started out with revolvers, I have to say snap-caps and (safe) dry-fire are you're friend! Used smith revolvers usually have smooth double action (but heavy and long like all DA revolver pulls) and nice crisp single action pulls.

I had the opposite problum, when i went to a semi-auto I was constantly like "WTF" every time I pulled the trigger... I expected it to keep going back, and instead it just went BANG, causing me to shoot low. lol
Dude, is that a turkey or a dinosaur?!?!

zengunfighter

Post by zengunfighter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:47 pm

A great side effect of learning to shoot the pistol well, is that your rifle shooting will improve too.
Disciplina Remunenor Fidelis!

http://www.youtube.com/vigunfighter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jehicks87

Post by jehicks87 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:01 am

hey man, how's your shooting coming along?
My Youtube Channel... please visit, like, and subscribe! http://www.youtube.com/user/JHP762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
civvie wrote:By purchasing fewer things you can afford better things.
NCO to me: "I'll give you a hint... it rhymes with 'no'."
Me to NCO: "F'sho? It's f'sho, isn't it?"

All I smell is Gin, and Smoke, and Lies...

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:45 am

Haven't been back out yet man!Damn work.But takin her out tomorrow morning :)

RatDrall

Post by RatDrall » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:13 am

I was bad with my first S&W K-frame, but 6 snap caps and a lot of dryfiring later, I got very good very fast.

Expecting pics from the next outting. Bring hot babes along :D

AS556

Post by AS556 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:18 pm

RatDrall wrote:I was bad with my first S&W K-frame, but 6 snap caps and a lot of dryfiring later, I got very good very fast.

Expecting pics from the next outting. Bring hot babes along :D
You know I just took this girl I'm seeing out and shot the K-frame I should have taken a picture.I'm really getting the hang of the trigger now though and get acceptable SD accuracy easily. The gun is still unmodified like everyone suggested, glad I listened.Got a holster coming from Gun_nut and will be carrying it shortly.

Yes I'm bumping my own thread but only because I finally took the first decent firearm picture of my entire life and also because pics or GTFO.

rklessdriver

Post by rklessdriver » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:13 pm

That's a beautiful K Frame. 3" is pretty rare and very desirable.... Glad you've held on to it for this long and updated your old thread.... Congrats.

FUNDAMENTALS mean everything with DA revolver shooting.

THE FRONT SIGHT! THE FRONT SIGHT! THE FRONT SIGHT! I can't stress it enough...

Also - Be smooth and steady with the trigger... force yourself to slow down.

The more proficient you become with DA revolver shooting, shooting EVERYTHING else will seem much easier.

Will

Return to “Handguns”