Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
BluelegSamantha
* *
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.
Location: Compound 44

Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by BluelegSamantha » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:28 pm

So, there's this little known revolver on the market, I was asked earlier how it handles and if I could give some information on it, I'll certainly try my best, but forgive me if I mess up any major gun terms.

This revolver was gifted to me by my boyfriend after I was robbed a year ago, I take it everywhere with me in my car and it rests every night on my nightstand.

It comes in 2", 4" and 6" models, named 200D, 40DS and 60DS.

The Chiappa Rhino 200D comes in .357, as does it's counterparts the 40DS and 60DS, it is also possible to shoot .38 special out of these but with a sacrifice to accuracy, the current cost of the 2" barrel version is somewhere around 600 USD, which is a modest price for a .357.

The ergonomics on this gun are off the charts, everyone I've let handle or shoot this gun leaves impressed and saying it's the most comfortable revolver they've ever shot. It features a small but very useful beaver tail on the grip, this acts as a recoil helper because the grip can't just slide down into your hand uncomfortably during firing, which would make you have to re adjust, it allows for a tight and high grip on the weapon and a greater control during the shooting process, follow up shots become a breeze and the grip is not too fat nor is it too thin like most wheelguns, it has just the right amount of beef to it without going overboard on the fat.

The trigger is amazing, it's wide and allows for excellent finger positioning and increased control when squeezing, your finger doesn't wear out quite as fast with this trigger, there is very even weight distribution so you don't jerk to one side or another and there is currently an excellent trigger upgrade which makes it a much lighter pull as the factory pull is something awful.

The neat thing about this gun is it doesn't seem to have muzzle rise when you fire, it's more of a straight back recoil opposed to a rising recoil.

The gun itself is slightly bulky, but not bulky enough to be ruled out as a CC weapon, medium to large framed people will have no problem concealing this gun, and small framed people would have no problem if they were willing to change attire around slightly to something more baggy, it would make a wonderful winter carry or a purse carry for a woman, as I do sometimes.

It features a lever like contraption on the left hand side rather than a button to release the cylinder for reloading, left hand users will have problems with this but right handed people will find it far more convenient than a traditional side button release, it aids in a faster reload, if you want to see it in action you can find it on youtube.

In looks this thing is awesome, and I always get people asking me what it is, I'm pretty sure those same people have probably gone out and bought one as they were so impressed with it's looks alone.

I generally only put .38 through it as .357 hurts my wrists too much, I can hit a 2 inch group at 10 yards, a 4 inch group at 20 yards and a 5 to 6 inch group at 30, which brings me to the sights.

It sports a rather clever rear notch sight which doubles as the cocking hammer, there is a small red button that pops up on top of the gun and tells you when the gun is cocked for single action, it has a hi-viz front sight, which makes for quick acquisition in low light shooting and the aiming just feels natural when you raise the gun to eye level.

The only con I have about it is the weight, it's slightly heavy, but that also has an advantage in keeping recoil to a minimum, and if you ran out of ammunition you could always throw it at their head and hope for a concussion, this gun would certainly deliver one if you hit someone with it.

All in all I would give this neat little revolver a 9 out of 10, the only failure I see with it is the cylinder release for left handed people.
Hope this is helpful, and here is a couple of pics I snagged off the net.

Image
Image
Image
Last edited by BluelegSamantha on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SSG Pete C. wrote:Shoot the way you talk, or shut the fuck up.

User avatar
Cpt. MelonBuster
* * * * *
Posts: 3293
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: Couer D'Alene, Idaho

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:32 pm

I mean no offense by this criticism, but try to space out your review so it isn't just a massive block of text. It's kind of daunting to the eyes and can keep people from wanting to read the review.

Nice blaster though, those Rhino's are pretty neat.

User avatar
Raindog
* *
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:40 pm
Location: WNC

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by Raindog » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:40 pm

Those things are just freaky looking. I love the low bore axis or I should say that I love the idea of the low bore axis since I've never shot one.

User avatar
Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 5029
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:35 pm
Location: SW PA

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by Doctor Jest » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:06 pm

I read an article about these in Combat Handguns. They seem very cool, but they are priced out of my range.
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

User avatar
JTNieman
* * * * *
Posts: 9409
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 pm
Location: Greater STL Area

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by JTNieman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:05 pm

Fuck the grammar twat. I'm about a 12 pack of Shiner Bock in, and I read your post 100% a-ok.

I'm surprised at your testimony about the grip. To be honest the grip look like a fucking miniature tree trunk. That was honestly one of the biggest things I was concerned about regarding the gun. It seemed really plain, inorganically shaped, and straight. However, it ain't like other revolvers have much going for them either! The old style revolvers are all buckhorn curved, narrow, pansy little things, imo. I have big hangs though, so maybe a thin 19 year old girl is not an example of grip comfort for me to take from. I'm more inclined to massive thick grips than most people, I've come to realize.

However I really do appreciate the review. This is a gun I _REALLY FUCKING WANT_ for a revolver, and it just hasn't been on the market long enough to get enough feedback on. And sure as shit, ain't no gun shops around my parts that carry one for me to finger bang, ya know? So I cherish every experienced opinion I can come across. :)

Thanks for the review! I still want one bad, and now I think that maybe the grip might not be as much of a problem as I thought. :) Your groups are 'good enough' in my book, too! Never thought I'd be taking gun reviews from a teen with a "duck lips" photo for an avatar ;) ;) (I mean that lightly)

User avatar
JTNieman
* * * * *
Posts: 9409
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 pm
Location: Greater STL Area

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by JTNieman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:08 pm

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:I mean no offense by this criticism, but try to space out your review so it isn't just a massive block of text. It's kind of daunting to the eyes and can keep people from wanting to read the review.

Nice blaster though, those Rhino's are pretty neat.
you know

i jkust wanted to point out

that for someone pointing out how har dit is to read a post

you sure got a fucking ironic goddamn sig image, ya flashy fuckin eye-raping piece of gif shit lover. that's all.

User avatar
Cpt. MelonBuster
* * * * *
Posts: 3293
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: Couer D'Alene, Idaho

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:09 pm

JamesCannon wrote:you sure got a fucking ironic goddamn sig image, ya flashy fuckin eye-raping piece of gif shit lover. that's all.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I tore it down right before reading this.

User avatar
JTNieman
* * * * *
Posts: 9409
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 pm
Location: Greater STL Area

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by JTNieman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:11 pm

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:you sure got a fucking ironic goddamn sig image, ya flashy fuckin eye-raping piece of gif shit lover. that's all.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I tore it down right before reading this.
I'll note that it went down WAY too fast to be in response to my post, so I'll say thanks for thinking of us less healthy-in-eye, and saving us the seizures. :lol:

User avatar
Cpt. MelonBuster
* * * * *
Posts: 3293
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: Couer D'Alene, Idaho

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:13 pm

JamesCannon wrote:I'll note that it went down WAY too fast to be in response to my post, so I'll say thanks for thinking of us less healthy-in-eye, and saving us the seizures. :lol:
Us damn young kids, always so inconsiderate and shit. :lol:

I had actually already had a complaint about it, so I was too busy looking for a replacement to remove it.

User avatar
USMCSergeant
* * * *
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:01 am
Location: NC

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by USMCSergeant » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:15 pm

JamesCannon wrote:
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:I mean no offense by this criticism, but try to space out your review so it isn't just a massive block of text. It's kind of daunting to the eyes and can keep people from wanting to read the review.

Nice blaster though, those Rhino's are pretty neat.
you know

i jkust wanted to point out

that for someone pointing out how har dit is to read a post

you sure got a fucking ironic goddamn sig image, ya flashy fuckin eye-raping piece of gif shit lover. that's all.
:lol: :lol: omfg
Image

User avatar
xLionx
* * * * *
Posts: 1006
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:35 am
Location: Lex.KY

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by xLionx » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:16 pm

What would be a good holster for the Rhino?

User avatar
Einher
* * * * *
Posts: 1159
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:48 am
Location: Playing in the Oregon rain

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by Einher » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:21 pm

Using such language in front of a lady... :?

Back OT, this thread needs moar images.
Image
Image
Image

The lower frame position of the barrel was intended to reduce muzzle flip by driving the force straight backwards into the hand, and the basic style has had some limited exposure in the past;

An older example of the 'underbarrel' design was the Mateba Revolver;
Image
Image

I don't often hear much about the Rhino, so it's nice to read a personal review of one;
thanks.
полиция wrote:Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.
Image

User avatar
BluelegSamantha
* *
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.
Location: Compound 44

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by BluelegSamantha » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:23 pm

JamesCannon wrote:Fuck the grammar twat. I'm about a 12 pack of Shiner Bock in, and I read your post 100% a-ok.

I'm surprised at your testimony about the grip. To be honest the grip look like a fucking miniature tree trunk. That was honestly one of the biggest things I was concerned about regarding the gun. It seemed really plain, inorganically shaped, and straight. However, it ain't like other revolvers have much going for them either! The old style revolvers are all buckhorn curved, narrow, pansy little things, imo. I have big hangs though, so maybe a thin 19 year old girl is not an example of grip comfort for me to take from. I'm more inclined to massive thick grips than most people, I've come to realize.

However I really do appreciate the review. This is a gun I _REALLY FUCKING WANT_ for a revolver, and it just hasn't been on the market long enough to get enough feedback on. And sure as shit, ain't no gun shops around my parts that carry one for me to finger bang, ya know? So I cherish every experienced opinion I can come across. :)

Thanks for the review! I still want one bad, and now I think that maybe the grip might not be as much of a problem as I thought. :) Your groups are 'good enough' in my book, too! Never thought I'd be taking gun reviews from a teen with a "duck lips" photo for an avatar ;) ;) (I mean that lightly)
They have different grip sizes for them as well which are available from Chiappa directly, you're not just stuck with the factory stuff, and if you can't find anything that fits you can always wrap some Hogue rubber around the grip, cut it to size so it's tight and melt it together snugly with a lighter or something, kind of backwoods but it works well without messing anything up.
My boyfriend is 6'2 and he has huge hands that are about 30% bigger than mine, he doesn't have much of a problem handling the 200D with factory grips either, though he prefers larger gripped guns.

I'm not making ducklips, it's just because the photo is resized lol
SSG Pete C. wrote:Shoot the way you talk, or shut the fuck up.

User avatar
BluelegSamantha
* *
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.
Location: Compound 44

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by BluelegSamantha » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:27 pm

I guess some people in this thread... Feel lucky.

Image
SSG Pete C. wrote:Shoot the way you talk, or shut the fuck up.

User avatar
BluelegSamantha
* *
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.
Location: Compound 44

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by BluelegSamantha » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:30 pm

Einherjrar wrote:Using such language in front of a lady... :?

Back OT, this thread needs moar images.
Image
Image
Image

The lower frame position of the barrel was intended to reduce muzzle flip by driving the force straight backwards into the hand, and the basic style has had some limited exposure in the past;

An older example of the 'underbarrel' design was the Mateba Revolver;
Image
Image

I don't often hear much about the Rhino, so it's nice to read a personal review of one;
thanks.
It's a pretty neat revolver, I like the 60DS more for it's looks but the 200D is fine for what I use it for, the Mateba doesn't look bad either.
Just as long as it's not a S&W .500, I shot one once and never again lol
SSG Pete C. wrote:Shoot the way you talk, or shut the fuck up.

User avatar
BluelegSamantha
* *
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.
Location: Compound 44

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by BluelegSamantha » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:33 pm

xLionx wrote:What would be a good holster for the Rhino?
It comes with it's own leather holster, which I find pretty comfortable, but it's a tan/brown leather, I haven't attempted buying a new one for it yet though.
SSG Pete C. wrote:Shoot the way you talk, or shut the fuck up.

User avatar
JTNieman
* * * * *
Posts: 9409
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 pm
Location: Greater STL Area

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by JTNieman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:03 am

xLionx wrote:What would be a good holster for the Rhino?
Shit, as spoiled as I am to my Comp-Tac Minotaur for my M&P (though that's my CCW) I would probably pay someone to custom make me one.

Unless it was just a range/field holster in which case I'd likely use what it came with :P

@BluelegSamantha:

Awesome feedback, thank you so much. Sorry for thinking you're duck-lipping in your avatar ;)

Hoot Harrington
* * * * *
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:27 am

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by Hoot Harrington » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:18 am

JamesCannon wrote:
@BluelegSamantha:

Awesome feedback, thank you so much. Sorry for thinking you're duck-lipping in your avatar ;)

Ha I was totally thinking the same thing. Sweet pistol.
Image

User avatar
BluelegSamantha
* *
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.
Location: Compound 44

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by BluelegSamantha » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:25 am

JamesCannon wrote:
@BluelegSamantha:

Awesome feedback, thank you so much. Sorry for thinking you're duck-lipping in your avatar ;)
Haha, it's cool.
SSG Pete C. wrote:Shoot the way you talk, or shut the fuck up.

User avatar
gelgoog
* * * * *
Posts: 5621
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:58 am
Location: Banned from the interwebs

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by gelgoog » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:04 am

I was all excited about the rhino when I saw pics of it in italy (italian gunrag) in 2003 and then heard last year it was going to be released here. Then they released it and all I really want is a Mateba :?

User avatar
KentsOkay
* * * * *
Posts: 3207
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:20 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Texas

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:06 am

Ignore the Neanderthal/s. We really ain't so bad once you get to know us :D

This is also a gun I am very interested in. I think I shall get one as my "Fuck off I'm a fucking bad ass mother fucker" revolver. Which means 6" barrel and shiny stainless steel :D
Image

Any gun that makes you look like Rick Deckard is a good thing. Now for a lever gun that matches the wild west meets the dystopic future look...

Excellent review, thanks for sharing, stick around!
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Image
Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

User avatar
BluelegSamantha
* *
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.
Location: Compound 44

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by BluelegSamantha » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:18 am

KentsOkay wrote:Ignore the Neanderthal/s. We really ain't so bad once you get to know us :D

This is also a gun I am very interested in. I think I shall get one as my "Fuck off I'm a fucking bad ass mother fucker" revolver. Which means 6" barrel and shiny stainless steel :D

Any gun that makes you look like Rick Deckard is a good thing. Now for a lever gun that matches the wild west meets the dystopic future look...

Excellent review, thanks for sharing, stick around!
You could totally buy a Mares Leg to accompany it.
I can picture some guy going crazy and dual wielding two of those 6" Rhino's in a Zombie flick, with a couple of laser sights attached to the rails and speed loaders all over his chest rig surrounded by a small mob of Zeds ^_^
I have to admit, I would watch just for the scene where that character busts the Rhino's out and says something catch like "suck my 6 inchers!"
Total fail line, but you get the picture haha

And props for having Nicholas Angel as your avatar, he's my hero :D
SSG Pete C. wrote:Shoot the way you talk, or shut the fuck up.

User avatar
BluelegSamantha
* *
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.
Location: Compound 44

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by BluelegSamantha » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:21 am

gelgoog wrote:I was all excited about the rhino when I saw pics of it in italy (italian gunrag) in 2003 and then heard last year it was going to be released here. Then they released it and all I really want is a Mateba :?
Either way, you'll look like one badass mofo lol
SSG Pete C. wrote:Shoot the way you talk, or shut the fuck up.

User avatar
KentsOkay
* * * * *
Posts: 3207
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:20 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Texas

Re: Chiappa Rhino 200D Review

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:30 am

BluelegSamantha wrote:
KentsOkay wrote:Ignore the Neanderthal/s. We really ain't so bad once you get to know us :D

This is also a gun I am very interested in. I think I shall get one as my "Fuck off I'm a fucking bad ass mother fucker" revolver. Which means 6" barrel and shiny stainless steel :D

Any gun that makes you look like Rick Deckard is a good thing. Now for a lever gun that matches the wild west meets the dystopic future look...

Excellent review, thanks for sharing, stick around!
You could totally buy a Mares Leg to accompany it.
I can picture some guy going crazy and dual wielding two of those 6" Rhino's in a Zombie flick, with a couple of laser sights attached to the rails and speed loaders all over his chest rig surrounded by a small mob of Zeds ^_^
I have to admit, I would watch just for the scene where that character busts the Rhino's out and says something catch like "suck my 6 inchers!"
Total fail line, but you get the picture haha

And props for having Nicholas Angel as your avatar, he's my hero :D
Your boy friend is one hell of a lucky guy. Pegg-Frost-Wright FTW.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Image
Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Post Reply

Return to “Handguns”