FNH FiveseveN (5.7x28)

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BeTheBall

Re: FNH FiveseveN (5.7x28)

Post by BeTheBall » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:54 am

J.C. wrote:
Curtai wrote:And the really bad part is I was looking forward to picking up some of the trident rounds for my FsN too :gonk:
I think the Trident was the only bullet we tested that really didn't work. S4M is the way to go.
The trident worked when fired into clay blocks, but either way - the S4M penetrated more and fragmented/expanded whereas the trident is supposed to break into 3 pieces.

As far as penetrating barriers, the people who were at the test to witness it, I'm sure can attest that the S4M will get the job done.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:20 am

S4M is the rd to carry in 5.7. Other calibers have 20 different choices, 5.7 is easy get the S4M. Done.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Mooremoorebobby

Post by Mooremoorebobby » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:33 pm

I have an acquaintance who leads his SWAT team in San Diego for the Chula Vista Police Department. Other than the shot gun and rifle his guys only use the P90. He told me the only bad thing about this gun is that the groupings are too small and he has to train his team to spread their shots out. But the weight, Mag Cap and accuracy is supreme.
Look at the weight: 1000 rounds = 3.97lbs (28 gr (1.8 g) SS195LF JHP)
COME ON ZOMBIE HUNTERS!?!
When it comes to SHTF, GOOD, TEOTWAYKI, or a Zombie apocalypse mobility is king.
Why waste time, energy, or mobility just to carry a heavier gun with a bigger bullet.
5.56 Nato:1000 rounds = 136.6 lbs (4 g (62 gr) SS109 FMJBT)

When it comes down to assault rifles the p90 is the way to go.

PS. the PS90 weighs 6.6 lbs including a loaded 50 rnd Mag...
War never solved anything except Slavery, Oppression, Genocide, Communism, Fascism, Nazism...and killing Zombies of course!

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:09 pm

Mooremoorebobby wrote:I have an acquaintance who leads his SWAT team in San Diego for the Chula Vista Police Department. Other than the shot gun and rifle his guys only use the P90. He told me the only bad thing about this gun is that the groupings are too small and he has to train his team to spread their shots out. But the weight, Mag Cap and accuracy is supreme.
When it comes to SHTF, GOOD, TEOTWAYKI, or a Zombie apocalypse mobility is king.
Why waste time, energy, or mobility just to carry a heavier gun with a bigger bullet.

Ahemmm, 1000rds of 5.7 weights 16 lbs and 1000rds of 5.56 weights 29 lbs. Math, uFail.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

Curtai

Post by Curtai » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:49 am

Regular Guy wrote:
Mooremoorebobby wrote:I have an acquaintance who leads his SWAT team in San Diego for the Chula Vista Police Department. Other than the shot gun and rifle his guys only use the P90. He told me the only bad thing about this gun is that the groupings are too small and he has to train his team to spread their shots out. But the weight, Mag Cap and accuracy is supreme.

Ahemmm, 1000rds of 5.7 weights 16 lbs and 1000rds of 5.56 weights 29 lbs. Math, uFail.
Yeah I knew that math was terrible because my buddy had prolly 800-100 .223 and it was not 136# cause I know he wouldn't have had that just laying in the trunk of his car...
Pastryfish wrote:"...After this incident, I don't give a f*** if the factory magazines are made in North Korea, Iran, or Mexico
by-the-throat wrote:The bo staff isn't mall ninja fare until you mount a picatinny rail on it.
Brownies/Star Crunch/AR15

Mooremoorebobby

Post by Mooremoorebobby » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:39 pm

my bad.
Last edited by Mooremoorebobby on Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War never solved anything except Slavery, Oppression, Genocide, Communism, Fascism, Nazism...and killing Zombies of course!

Mooremoorebobby

Post by Mooremoorebobby » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Yeah Sorry, My math wasn't wrong my the information I put in was. It averages out to about 28 grams per bullet not 1.8g.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Mooremoorebobby wrote:Yeah Sorry, My math wasn't wrong my the information I put in was. It averages out to about 28 grams per bullet not 1.8g.
26.2 grams are significant. :lol:

Mooremoorebobby

Post by Mooremoorebobby » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:25 pm

I accidentally put in the projectile weight not the whole cartridge weight. :oops:

BeTheBall

Post by BeTheBall » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Mooremoorebobby wrote:I accidentally put in the projectile weight not the whole cartridge weight. :oops:
Accidents happen. I have 500 rounds of SS197 arriving here tomorrow and UPS states that the shipping weight is 8.5lbs.

It must be the 40gr vs. the 28gr bullet that made the difference in weight... :lol:

Curtai

Post by Curtai » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:20 pm

No worries ok S4M sounds good to me... I still wanted the trident rounds just because they look cool too haha... But I should try and see if I can get some ammo before TEOTWAIKI... Right now all I have are the standard SS197 and I think they should be good to pop a zed's skull if anything does happen...
Pastryfish wrote:"...After this incident, I don't give a f*** if the factory magazines are made in North Korea, Iran, or Mexico
by-the-throat wrote:The bo staff isn't mall ninja fare until you mount a picatinny rail on it.
Brownies/Star Crunch/AR15

BeTheBall

Post by BeTheBall » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:14 am

SS197 rounds will ruin anyone's day, they are the same VMax bullet as Elite Ammunition's ProtecTOR round, just not as hot of a load. The difference is that the SS197 won't penetrate armor. Oh and you can also find SS197 for $16-18 for a box of 50 online if you shop around (ie: sportsmansguide.com if you are a member and have a coupon).

The S4M on the other hand will destroy a BG's day with or without body armor but it costs a tad bit more, like 2-3 times as much.

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:23 am

BeTheBall wrote:The difference is that the SS197 won't penetrate armor.
Actually, it was always my understanding that SS197 will defeat up to IIa. I'm having a hard time finding data either way though...
Violent Torpedo of Truth

zombiegristle

Post by zombiegristle » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:59 pm

TerryGecko wrote:
BeTheBall wrote:The difference is that the SS197 won't penetrate armor.
Actually, it was always my understanding that SS197 will defeat up to IIa. I'm having a hard time finding data either way though...
There really is no "up to" when dealing with level IIa. While technically a level I exists, I don't think anyone's produced anything to such a low standard since before I was born. I have no doubts that an SS197 will blow through a IIa vest, but a quality 9mm FMJ can also accomplish this so it's really no biggie. IIIa is the standard to beat for "armor-piercing" stuff these days.
"It is better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it."
-- Condom Rule
"Everybody gets one."
-- Spiderman Rule

BeTheBall

Post by BeTheBall » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:31 am

Want to know how to make your Five-seveN even better?

Here are my first impressions of the newly accurized FsN. I'm simply amazed how light and smooth the trigger is now - there used to be a small "hiccup", a rough spot which is now gone. Additionally, the trigger weight was virtually cut in half. When you get to the part of the video that shows the difference in how fast I could work the trigger, you may be astounded. I was.

They also put the heavy duty spring in which really does send the brass to a small area about 8 feet away. Much easier than looking up to 20' away to collect the cases.

Got the adjustable night sights as well.

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:25 pm

BeTheBall wrote:Want to know how to make your Five-seveN even better?

Here are my first impressions of the newly accurized FsN. I'm simply amazed how light and smooth the trigger is now - there used to be a small "hiccup", a rough spot which is now gone. Additionally, the trigger weight was virtually cut in half. When you get to the part of the video that shows the difference in how fast I could work the trigger, you may be astounded. I was.

They also put the heavy duty spring in which really does send the brass to a small area about 8 feet away. Much easier than looking up to 20' away to collect the cases.

Awesome stuff. I am looking to get mine accurized eventually. I can't wait for you to make a video on the new PFP loads when they become available. I have high hopes for them.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

BeTheBall

Post by BeTheBall » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:10 pm

TerryGecko wrote:Awesome stuff. I am looking to get mine accurized eventually. I can't wait for you to make a video on the new PFP loads when they become available. I have high hopes for them.
I mentioned doing that and Jay basically inferred that the results will be identical to the previous PFP rounds, so I don't know if it's worth the expense of making more gel blocks. Besides, I can't see ever switching from S4Ms!

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:53 am

John the Giant wrote:I'd love to be there too, just to empty out a few :twisted: 45rd Mags :twisted:
Five Seven 20rd Mag X1
CMMG +10rd Extension X3
30 minutes of dremel
Cut+ weld 2 20rd springs
+_______________
A W E S O M E
(Yes, it functions, very well too)
i have a boner right now..it that werid?

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:47 am

BeTheBall wrote:Ok, so today was a good day for me... I got my order of S4Ms:

I will be bringing these rounds to be tested:

From left to right: SS197, Elite Ammunition ProtecTOR, EA S5, EA S4M.

ALSO, the PMR-30 I ordered arrived today so we can test .22mag out of a pistol length barrel side-by-side with the Five-seveN. Additionally, it would be nice to test the rounds out of a carbine length PS90 and/or my SBR AR57. I hope we will have enough ballistic gelatin blocks to use...

where can i find EA S5 ammo.....

BeTheBall

Post by BeTheBall » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:05 am

Elite Ammunition discontinued the S5 round after the ATF pulled one of their arbitrary stunts. They will be replaced shortly by a new round. Check their website to see when it will be available:

http://www.eliteammunition.net

spyderco monkey
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by spyderco monkey » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:43 am

BeTheBall wrote:Want to know how to make your Five-seveN even better?

Thank you for posting this video review, very impressed, think I will be springing for the accurizing in the near future.
“Few will understand me, but I write for the connoisseurs, trusting that they will not be offended by the confidence of my opinions.” Field Marshal Maurice Comte de Saxe, My Reveries, 1732

For honest, in-depth gear reviews, please visit:
http://www.good-kit.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:01 am

hinky video of the before and after accurizing. tssskk! tssskk! tsssk!

Guns are icky!

BeTheBall

Post by BeTheBall » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:11 am

Hinky?

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:55 pm

BeTheBall wrote:Hinky?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hinky" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Definition of HINKY

slang : nervous, jittery
slang : suspicious
Examples of HINKY

<the cop was feeling hinky about the whole situation and was starting to think that it was a setup>
<after noticing that the driver seemed hinky, the border guard demanded that he submit to an inspection of his vehicle>
Origin of HINKY

alteration of argot hincty suspicious
First Known Use: 1956
Related to HINKY

Synonyms: distrustful, dubious, doubtful [slang], mistrustful, skeptical, suspicious, trustless, uncertain, unconvinced, undecided, unsettled, unsure
Antonyms: certain, convinced, positive, sure
[+]more
see also:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hinky" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guns are icky!

Return to “Handguns”