Smith Wesson 986 - literally more bang for your buck
83%
Chiappa Rhino - because integrated rails, bottom chamber firing & other stuff
17%

Total votes: 6

Abuhin

Revolver in 9mm: S&W or Chiappa?

Post by Abuhin » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Oh, look. Another thread asking "Which gun should I buy?" I'll try to be precise to make it less frustrating for everyone.

I want a 9mm revolver, yes that's right, with a barrel at least 5 inches. This isn't going to be a CCW, so I'm not looking for a snubby. The main current purpose is a range gun for practice, and to give me a weapon to use if I start reloading 9mm brass. Maybe, but not likely, I'll try revolver competition shooting one day. As for defense, it won't be my primary handgun, self or home. I suppose it has potential as a gun to stash in a separate place from my go-to weapon. Like a desk or trunk back-up gun.

I'm leaning towards the Smith & Wesson 986 over the Chiappa Rhino 50DS. (I know there's a S&W 929, but nah, I don't need it that big.) So the personal issues come down to cost and ergonomics
COST I've looked at the local prices. The 986 is always cheaper in my area. I could even get an aftermarket rail, and still pay about $80 less than for the Rhino. And the 986 holds 7 rounds, even.
ERGONOMICS Never actually held either of them for real, but I've shot different S&W revolvers of the right frame. And there's the airsoft replicas of the Rhino. Just didn't do anything for me.

So does the collective wisdom of ZS have any compelling reason to sway me away from the Smith & Wesson 986? Any replies appreciated.
Disclaimer: For anonymity and security's sake, this poster may alter, omit, or fabricate details of his personal life and circumstances.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Revolver in 9mm: S&W or Chiappa?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:07 pm

I'd go Smith. It's just a better gun. The Chiappas are cool, but they are too expensive in my opinion.

Now, you're talking range and possibly reloading...

You want a good value, legacy gun that is reliable and useful and built to handle anything....

Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in 9mm/.357.

Then get yourself some Lee pocket loader kits for 9mm, .38, and .357 for like $100 for all 3.

Then you can shoot cheap 9mm or nuclear 357 in the same cool old school revolver with a sweet single action trigger.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:18 pm

I like S&W and the Chiappas I have held just did not appeal to me. However, this is really a personal preference issue. See if you can rent one of each and shoot it ....see how they fit and hit.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:23 pm

Since this will be a range gun (still doesn't explain why 9mm though) my advice to you is not to buy either of them until you've actually fired both. I've qualified with revolvers in the past, the Chiappa Rhinos are an entirely different feeling that you have to experience to really comprehend.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:49 pm

S&W is my choice, but I'd try to find and shoot one first, you might not like how it handles.

Me personally I'd like one of the previously mentioned Ruger Blackhawk Convertible's in .357/9mm...

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:30 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:07 pm

Then get yourself some Lee pocket loader kits for 9mm, .38, and .357 for like $100 for all 3.

Then you can shoot cheap 9mm or nuclear 357 in the same cool old school revolver with a sweet single action trigger.
...I need to buy a new truck more than I need more guns.

Please stop it with the neat suggestions.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:07 pm

Speaking of .357/9mm convertibles, there's always the Taurus 629 SS Multi-Caliber....with a reported weight of 46 oz. and a 6.5" handle...err...barrel, you could always use it as a blunt weapon when the action locks-up.Image

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:40 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:07 pm
Speaking of .357/9mm convertibles, there's always the Taurus 629 SS Multi-Caliber....with a reported weight of 46 oz. and a 6.5" handle...err...barrel, you could always use it as a blunt weapon when the action locks-up.Image

If Ruger, Smith, Dan Wesson made that, I would own it.

I know some people love Taurus, but they still scare me.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:12 am

the Chiappa, less muzzle flip, less felt recoil, and most importantly, it is different.

I have never had some one strike up a conversation about my S&W model 66, I have had a few come up about my Chiappa

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:52 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:07 pm
I'd go Smith. It's just a better gun. The Chiappas are cool, but they are too expensive in my opinion.

Now, you're talking range and possibly reloading...

You want a good value, legacy gun that is reliable and useful and built to handle anything....

This is sounding good. Any PPCs like this?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:14 pm

PCC?
Add a lever action to the Ruger like the Rossi Model 92; in .357 shoots & .38 spl and .454 shoots .454 & .45 colt. So with the pistol you could shoot 3 rounds (.45 acp in the .45) and the rile will shoot 2 rounds.

But nothing in 9mm in .357 in a PCC that I know about.

Return to “Handguns”