Glock 43, the gun I wanted to hate

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Chaos454

Glock 43, the gun I wanted to hate

Post by Chaos454 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:12 pm

For years I have either carried a Glock 27, or 26 as a backup ankle gun. For you revolver lovers I started out with a Smith model 640, 357 magnum. After years of feeling like I had a boat anchor on my ankle I switched to a Glock 43. I am not a Glock fan, but departmental restrictions prevent me from carrying other subcompact guns. I added the Vickers plus 2 mag extensions and was already angry that I had to spend more money on a gun I didn't like, to get a grip close to what a Smith and Wesson Shield had from the factory. Without firing it I took it to my annual department qualification. I figured a Glock is a Glock. Although I qualified my scores were well below what my personal standards would accept. Over the next year I spent a lot of time running drills and getting to know the Glock 43. It concealed well, and printed less than my Glock 26 or 27. Both of these with extensions might as well be a 19 or 23 to me. After watching a video by Hikok45 I added Talon grip decals which helped with the gun jumping in my hands.

Fast forward a year and this is now my favorite Glock firearm. I just qualified again for another year and only missed one out of fifty rounds; I dropped one at the 25 yard line. It is more accurate than I am cable of shooting. It conceals well, is well balanced for me, and does not catch up my pant leg like the 26, and 27 when it's in an ankle holster. As far as reliability goes I imagine I have about 1000 rounds through it with the only malfunctions coming from using ETS mags. I know the weight and size difference isn't all that much between it and the other two, but for some reason it just works better for my intended purpose. I recently got to fire the 43x. I enjoyed it, but I will stick with the 43 for the versatility of being able to use a flush mag or extended mag depending on what I need.

So the point of all this is if you are in the market for a small handgun, give this one a try. This is coming from a guy who would gladly dump his Glocks for a multitude of other sidearms. This is just my opinion. I don't have any science behind it, but I have been running Glocks since the model 22 was first introduced. For those of you who are wondering, if I feel I need something bigger I run a Glock 19.

Lefty_Red
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Zombie Land
WWZ

Re: Glock 43, the gun I wanted to hate

Post by Lefty_Red » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:55 am

I was the same way. I first got the G43 when it came out and I hated the heavy trigger and wasn’t shooting us to my standards.

Fast forward to last summer, I handled the newer G43 and found the trigger acceptable. I also was teaching myself to shoot right handed again. Due to old age and RA and on the job injuries, my left hand is about useless for shooting much. I bought a G42 and a G43, and shot both exclusively for the year. Great weapons! And my arm strength in my right arm came back and I’m up to shooting 200-300 rounds a week now.

I do believe the same results would have come to be if I had the Shield, PPS M2, G2C, etc. just stickin to one weapon and using it day in and day out. I just lucked out and picked the G43. :)

I did try out the G43X and the G48. I really like the G43X, well balanced and shot great. But just not enough to replace my G43. I do wish the G43 had the beveled front and FSs like the G43X and G48. If I didn’t already have the G26.5, I might have kept the G48. But don’t want to get into another magazine to stock up on. In fact, thinking of trading the G42 for another j frame for pocket carry. Getting hard to keep the G43 and G42 magazines straight.

Be safe,
Lefty

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:46 pm

I bought a 43 for my wife a couple years ago, but she still prefers to shoot and carry a .22LR pistol, or just grab a rifle. I too love how easy it is to truly conceal...almost as good as my little 5-shot .22WMR “bikini” gun! :awesome:

Here’s my preferred configuration when wearing an untucked long sleeve shirt or jacket:

But if I have that much concealment, I typically just carry my Staccato-C or one of my .45s. This one usually gets appendix carried sans light/laser in an IWB holster:

...though usually with a flush-fit standard 6-rd mag instead of the +2 mags.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Chaos454

Post by Chaos454 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:18 pm

Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond. I watched a video by the military arms channel awhile back. They did a test of snub nosed 357/38 versus a small 9mm. Based on the barrel length and type of ammunition the 9mm had the best performance. I know there are pros and cons for revolver carry, but maybe check out the video before you decide. I like the 42, as well, but am limited in, my carry choices by work.

I like the set up 91Eunozs. I always carry strong side so I am not changing locations between work and personal carry. I started going with a flush magazine for my ankle carry too. I like the vickers + 2 extension, but it keeps pulling my pant leg up when I get out of a car.

I tried to come up with an interesting comment for your bikini gun, but I got nothing.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:13 am

Chaos454 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:18 pm
...I tried to come up with an interesting comment for your bikini gun, but I got nothing.
One word: “Manscaping!”

:awesome:
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Return to “Handguns”